PDA

View Full Version : Article: The gay voter's guide to the GOP

LibertyEagle
09-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Ron Paul: The Libertarian

Rep. Ron Paul of Texas sees the issue of homosexuality, as he sees most things, through the lens of his strict interpretation of the Constitution. He believes that government's role is to stay out of the lives of citizens. It follows, therefore, that he is against a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. In fact, he is not even sure that government needs to be involved in marriage in the first place. "Marriage only came about, and getting licenses only came about -- in recent history for health reasons," said Paul, who is a medical doctor, in a "Values Voter Debate" on Sept. 17. "True Christians, I believe, believe that marriage is a church function, not a state function. It's not a state function. I don't think you need a license to get married. We should define it."

This door swings both ways. He is also against federal laws that could protect gays and lesbians from discrimination, including hate-crime laws and ENDA. He says the current Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy is "a decent policy." If Paul becomes president, it is a safe bet that he will not do much to help or hinder the cause of gay and lesbian rights. "All individuals have the right to their life if they do no harm," he said at the debate, before a deeply religious crowd. "You don't try to do a whole lot about it."

To see the rest of the article:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/09/21/gay_gop/index.html

undergroundrr
09-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Excellent. He says over and over again that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms. This plays well with all of America who understand it except for the most bigoted and corrupt.

Corydoras
09-23-2007, 09:40 AM
I think that's a remarkably fair article.

Ozwest
09-23-2007, 09:46 AM
States ,Councils, and townships not accepting of Gay rights limit their prosperity. Entrepeneurial endeavors and commerce will overcome the unfounded prejudice perpetuated by some Religious leaders and opportunistic politicians. Ron Paul knows this.