PDA

View Full Version : Legislation: Ron Paul takes one for the Texas team

No1ButPaul08
06-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Browsing through the bills RP has cosponsored I noticed he put his name on H.R.757

To redesignate the Federal building and United States Courthouse located at 200 East Wall Street in Midland, Texas, as the "George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush United States Courthouse and George Mahon Federal Building".

This bill has 41 cosponsors, including all Texas Congressman, both R and D.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-757

TheTyke
06-19-2009, 11:21 PM
What the blazes? That would seriously be the most disturbing thing I've ever seen Ron Paul do. :(

FrankRep
06-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Renaming a building.... free practically.

Not a big deal.

TheTyke
06-20-2009, 03:47 AM
I don't think price is the issue here. I bet it would be fairly inexpensive to name the NAFTA Superhighway after Mao Tse Tung. But would you?

Meh, I know Ron has a cordial relationship with the Bushes even while being staunchly opposed to them on most political issues, and since everyone from TX signed on, it seems fairly harmless. That's one thing I wouldn't do though, and I don't clap for bad politicians at Republican events either. Perhaps that's why I don't make a whole lot of progress in the Party...

0zzy
06-20-2009, 04:55 AM
I don't think price is the issue here. I bet it would be fairly inexpensive to name the NAFTA Superhighway after Mao Tse Tung. But would you?

Meh, I know Ron has a cordial relationship with the Bushes even while being staunchly opposed to them on most political issues, and since everyone from TX signed on, it seems fairly harmless. That's one thing I wouldn't do though, and I don't clap for bad politicians at Republican events either. Perhaps that's why I don't make a whole lot of progress in the Party...

He doesn't clap at events either, in fact, he doesn't even go to them :). I often try to find Ron Paul in the House when the President speaks, until I realized he doesn't even watch it on TV cause he said he would have an aneurysm of he listened to it.

FrankRep
06-20-2009, 06:37 AM

Ron Paul doesn't support the policies or actions of George Bush, but he's not hateful towards him. Ron Paul isn't hateful towards Obama, Hillary, or Nancy Pelosi either.

TastyWheat
06-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Every ex-president (and this one) has something named after them. Maybe this is Ron's way of heading off George Bush High School.

Chase
06-20-2009, 07:29 AM
His father already got the George Bush Turnpike.

Cowlesy
06-20-2009, 07:34 AM
The Nimitz Class Carrier George H.W. Bush :)

I think calling it "taking one for the team" is a good way to explain it. I have no problem with it.

james1906
06-20-2009, 08:36 AM
His father already got the George Bush Turnpike.

And daddy has the airport too. I'm disappointed in RP for doing this.

As Ross Perot said "Only in America would you have a war, get it over with and have all the heroes either be generals or politicians." There are better and greater people in the history of the US and Texas to name a building after.

Brassmouth
06-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Ron Paul doesn't support the policies or actions of George Bush, but he's not hateful towards him. Ron Paul isn't hateful towards Obama, Hillary, or Nancy Pelosi either.

:rolleyes: And I suppose you know him personally, and have discussed such matters as who he hates?

I love when these kinds of threads crop up. RP does something that would make you guys curse at any other politician, but because he's the "great" Ron Paul, you people swoop in to defend him.

Whether its shrimp subsidies, renovating old theaters, or enshrining the memory of murderer, you people will always defend Ron Paul.

What hypocrisy...

james1906
06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Also, anyone else catch the irony of naming a courthouse after a man who made it a point to detain people without a trial?

risiusj
06-20-2009, 11:38 AM
His constituents probably told him to support it.

dr. hfn
06-20-2009, 12:32 PM
unprincipled.....

nobody's_hero
06-21-2009, 05:28 AM
How about a "George W. Bush Sewage Treatment Facility"? :D

FrankRep
06-21-2009, 08:08 AM
How about a "George W. Bush Sewage Treatment Facility"? :D

I cracked up after reading that news article.

TequilamockingBird
06-21-2009, 02:44 PM
The States have the right to do what they want;that's why Paul went with it. I'm sure it wouldn't have been his name of choice though ;)

Maybe we need to motion to rename Texas... Ron Paul land.

heavenlyboy34
06-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Perhaps RP did it as a compromise with someone. I look forward to more details about this in the future.

someperson
06-21-2009, 03:08 PM
It's important to note that he hasn't voted for it yet. If anyone wants to find out more, there is probably still time to ask him or his office for details.

james1906
06-21-2009, 08:26 PM
The States have the right to do what they want;that's why Paul went with it. I'm sure it wouldn't have been his name of choice though ;)

Maybe we need to motion to rename Texas... Ron Paul land.

It's a federal building.