PDA

View Full Version : A Question about Donating and Spreading it out..

Lord Xar
09-23-2007, 01:16 AM
Okay,

I am not maxed yet... I "could" just max out.. (shit, I have NO IDEA how much I donated so far..hahhahaha - is there a way to find this out?)..

My question is, I want to sort of "space it out"... a little in first quarter then more in the next quarter etc...

Should I just max out, or filter it thru the quarters evenly?

DjLoTi
09-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Go all in for the 3rd Q

davidhperry
09-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Go all in for the 3rd Q

Agreed completely. The more people who donate early, the greater the chances of the media taking notice - which will bring more money into the campaign.

Taco John
09-23-2007, 01:36 AM
Is there a max out? I've been donating $20 bucks a month since June, but I gave $40 in September to reward Dr. Paul for such a fantastic showing during the New Hampshire Fox Debate. (If only he'd have demanded some respect from Bill O'reilly using the same fire he showed in New Hampshire this month would have been perfect... ah, well...)

I have intentions of donating $20 (or more) per month until November 2007. I hope that the government will permit me to support my candidate in this way. *rolling my eyes*

Paul4Prez
09-23-2007, 01:39 AM
The maximum donation is $2300 for the primary (and another $2300 for the general election) per person.

You can also make individual expenditures beyond that, but check the FEC rules. I think you have to track them and report them if they are over $250....

The independent expenditures rules are here:

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/indexp.shtml

mport1
09-23-2007, 02:02 AM
Definitely max out now. The sooner the better so he can get more publicity for money raised and also so he can use the funds.

Taco John
09-23-2007, 02:03 AM
I first have to check to see if there are internet regulations that would legally prevent me from examining the FEC rules.

"The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy."
-Unknown

bbachtung
09-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Xar,

If you go over the max, the campaign will have to refund it but will also have to include the over-the-max amount as a contribution when filing the disclosure report with the FEC. I read an article about "adjusted" numbers for Hillary, etc. in which people had their credit card contributions "accidentally" doubled by having the transaction run twice. After all of the media hype around the numbers, the campaign quietly filed an adjusted report about a month after the deadline.

I'm not suggesting that RP supporters do this, but if you over-contribute, it is not the end of the world (the campaign will fix it).

M.Bellmore
09-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Do other things we do count toward that total (running our own ads, flying those planes with RP message, etc.)?

ronpaulyourmom
09-23-2007, 01:28 PM
You need to max out now, here's why:

An analysis of the total donations, and of the donation growth rate, going back through June, suggests that Ron Paul will raise nearly $5,000,000 for Q3.

Speculation out there for McCain is 4-5 million raised
For Fred Thompson, 6 million raised
For Rudy / Romney, 10-15 million raised.

If everybody who can goes ahead and maxes out now, we can push RP over the top and get to third place. These numbers will be played in the media way more than the previous numbers were, the importance cannot be underestimated. There's a horde of people out there who do not want to donate to Ron Paul because they think he doesn't have a shot and it'll be wasted money. You need to prove them wrong with Q3 numbers. Maxing out now will pay off 2x more than waiting.

I'm considering going into a little credit card debt and maxing out this week. Anybody else who can afford it and is 100% confident in their ability to pay down any debt, please consider doing this as well.

ronpaulhawaii
09-23-2007, 02:33 PM
I agree with the maxout in Q3 approach

1- spreading it out takes more time from all involved
2- boosting his numbers now will encourage others who will boost his numbers later.

my2cents

Richandler
09-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Other campaigns have huge lists of maxed out donors. And a lot of that was done in Q1. Unfortunately rich people are allowed to donate their chumpchange compared to the average person who can manage merely a couple hundred at great sacrafice. It's an uphill battle and we need very $1 we can get.

LibertyEagle
09-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Do other things we do count toward that total (running our own ads, flying those planes with RP message, etc.)?

No.

Cowlesy
09-23-2007, 03:23 PM
The best part is, and what I hope inspires people, is Congressman Paul carefully spends each dollar you donate. When you kick in $25, you know it isn't blown on something stupid that doesn't further the cause like "geographical dispersions of conservatives identified as "very conservative" in Wyoming".

When you donate what you can comfortably give, you know that he values your sacrifice and will spend it wisely.

P.S. GO CLEVELAND BROWNS!

Bradley in DC
09-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Go all in for the 3rd Q

No doubt.

Thomas_Paine
09-23-2007, 04:13 PM
It's time that we speak to EVERYONE we know who has even pretended to like Ron Paul. Stress how VITAL it is to DONATE NOW if you ever plan to!!! Let's beat FRED!

mport1
09-23-2007, 04:19 PM
It's time that we speak to EVERYONE we know who has even pretended to like Ron Paul. Stress how VITAL it is to DONATE NOW if you ever plan to!!! Let's beat FRED!

It's not true support unless you help out by donating money or time.

bygone
09-23-2007, 05:02 PM
It's not true support unless you help out by donating money or time.

I was under the impression voting was still important. Maybe not?

RP08
09-23-2007, 05:55 PM
is there a way to find this out?)..

Yea, go all in early.

I don't know of an easy way to find out how much you're already in (hopefully someone has a link to a resource for others' benefit as well). The way I do it is periodically sort all my email by subject and go down the row of confirmation emails adding them up in calc. I suppose I could also start a little spreadsheet to simplify keeping track of it. :)

Other folks, don't forget, max for a couple is $4600 :cool:

https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/?c=1787

ronpaulyourmom
09-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Yea, go all in early.

I don't know of an easy way to find out how much you're already in (hopefully someone has a link to a resource for others' benefit as well). The way I do it is periodically sort all my email by subject and go down the row of confirmation emails adding them up in calc. I suppose I could also start a little spreadsheet to simplify keeping track of it. :)

Other folks, don't forget, max for a couple is $4600 :cool:

https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/?c=1787

If you're feeling ballsy, it's $9200.

ItsTime
09-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Okay,

I am not maxed yet... I "could" just max out.. (shit, I have NO IDEA how much I donated so far..hahhahaha - is there a way to find this out?)..

My question is, I want to sort of "space it out"... a little in first quarter then more in the next quarter etc...

Should I just max out, or filter it thru the quarters evenly?

check your online bank/cc statements and look for "RON PAUL 2008 PCC-MOPO"

slantedview
09-23-2007, 07:49 PM
I just spammed everyone I know asking for Ron Paul donations before the 30th.

Get on it!

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-23-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm not suggesting that RP supporters do this, but if you over-contribute, it is not the end of the world (the campaign will fix it).

That all takes staff time that could be spent doing better things. I've had to file these reports before, and I'm sure the software is MUCH better these days (I was working in DOS back then -- LOL), but it's still a major headache. Don't intentionally over-donate.

Still, many campaigns are accepting the second $2,300 toward the general election.

Or just get married, Xar. Then you can contribute an extra $2,300 for her.

bbachtung
09-23-2007, 08:42 PM
That all takes staff time that could be spent doing better things. I've had to file these reports before, and I'm sure the software is MUCH better these days (I was working in DOS back then -- LOL), but it's still a major headache. Don't intentionally over-donate.

Still, many campaigns are accepting the second $2,300 toward the general election.

Good point.

Yeah, if Xar gets married, then not only does he double his contribution limit, but he can ask that all of his guests donate to the campaign in lieu of wedding presents.

Corydoras
09-23-2007, 08:43 PM

List of things to do for Ron Paul this week:
1. Find someone to get engaged to.
2. Get married.
3. Donate a second $2300.
4. ...
5. Ron Paul FTW!
:p

angelatc
09-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Good point.

Yeah, if Xar gets married, then not only does he double his contribution limit, but he can ask that all of his guests donate to the campaign in lieu of wedding presents.

I think this is the best idea this board has ever developed.

bbachtung
09-23-2007, 09:15 PM
I think this is the best idea this board has ever developed.

I stole it from the Ron Paul official website; I remember one of the daily updates mentioning an anonymous couple (in early June, I believe) who pledged to ask for contributions to Ron Paul's campaign in lieu of gifts.

So whoever came up with it is a genius.

Bar mitzvah gifts for Ron Paul?

Confirmation gifts for Ron Paul?

Birthday gifts for Ron Paul?

Anniversary gifts for Ron Paul?

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-24-2007, 01:44 PM
List of things to do for Ron Paul this week:
1. Find someone to get engaged to.
2. Get married.
3. Donate a second $2300.
4. ...
5. Ron Paul FTW!
:p

My to do for this week:

Find 2 females for Xar and Corydoras willing to get married for political purposes, who have not already donated.

Bonus round: not only do you get to donate the extra $2300 per wife (and too bad you're not a polygamists, because we could go gangbusters with this strategy), but you get the extra $2300 for the general. Don't tell me THAT's not worth it!

Lord Xar
09-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Well, how about I "try" out the goods first before I make that commitment. I always ask for samples before I order something.....

thechitowncubs
09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Dear John Lambrechts,

Thank you very much for your donation of $100.00 to the Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign.

Your donation will allow us to expand and grow our campaign.

We depend on donors like you to help us spread the message of freedom, peace and prosperity through Ron Paul’s candidacy.

Thanks for being a part of the campaign!

Your confirmation number:
33015-1LU25542GG315182E

:cool:
I TRY AS A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT :/

bbachtung
09-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Welcome to the forums, John. Very impressive contribution for anyone, let alone a high school student.

Ridiculous
09-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Just consider it an investment that will pay off when he eliminates the IRS:D

jj111
09-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Max out now and "donate" by buying campaign signs at the campaign website store. Once you get your signs, see if you can get people to agree to a donation to local or national in return for the campaign signs. They are less than $1 each in bulk.

ChicagoLawyer
09-24-2007, 04:12 PM
In addition to what's been said above, maxing out now is important because the Q3 reports will be the last time they are a major news story. Q4 of 2007 will come out in the middle of January. While they will be reported, of course, the main event then will be the actual voting in Iowa, NH, Michigan, and whoever else jumps into the game. If someone wins Iowa but does poorly in Q4 reporting no one will care about the money. The headline will be "frugal campaign wins Iowa" not "Winner was a loser at raising cash."

However, in mid-November money will be THE story. Let's go for it!

OptionsTrader
09-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Just to clarify, the FEC website states the limits in terms of each election. Is it correct that the Primary and the general election are each independent elections and thus a couple can contribute 4600 for the primary, and if RP wins the primary, we can contribute another 4600? That is how I read the rules anway.

http://www.fec.gov/ans/answers_general.shtml#How_much_can_I_contribute

Original_Intent
09-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Just to clarify, the FEC website states the limits in terms of each election. Is it correct that the Primary and the general election are each independent elections and thus a couple can contribute 4600 for the primary, and if RP wins the primary, we can contribute another 4600? That is how I read the rules anway.

Correct.

Joe Knows
09-24-2007, 07:11 PM

That is correct. It seems to me that if you have already maxed out, you can still make a donation for the general election. This way you can count it as money raised, but the campaign cannot use the money until the general election. If the candidate does not make it to the general election, the money has to be refunded. That might be a good way to pump the numbers this week, but I would check with the campaign first.

ronpaulyourmom
09-24-2007, 07:15 PM
That is correct. It seems to me that if you have already maxed out, you can still make a donation for the general election. This way you can count it as money raised, but the campaign cannot use the money until the general election. If the candidate does not make it to the general election, the money has to be refunded. That might be a good way to pump the numbers this week, but I would check with the campaign first.

I don't know about the money being refunded, I would place some doubt in that. They differentiate primary vs. general election for a reason, if it was all refundable they would just assign a grand total.

Either way though, we can trust Ron to find a good use for the money...

freedominnumbers
09-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Can 1 year olds contribute 2300 as well?

If so I'm sure my son would like to donate on someone's behalf if you have maxed out.

Corydoras
09-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Can 1 year olds contribute 2300 as well?

This pdf says no.
pp 12-13
http://www.fec.gov/pdf/nprm/contribution_lim_pro/fr67n223p69927.pdf

However, if your kid wants to hold a sign or otherwise volunteer, this is okay.
:o