PDA

View Full Version : Passaic Cop Caught on Video Beating Man Denies Wrongdoing

Anti Federalist
06-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Passaic Cop Caught on Video Beating Man Denies Wrongdoing

http://www.1010wins.com/Passaic-Cop-in-Videotaped-Beating-Denies-Wrongdoin/4571359

PASSAIC, N.J. (AP) -- A northern New Jersey police officer suspended after being caught on a videotape beating an unarmed man said Wednesday he did nothing wrong.

``I did what was proper,'' Passaic Officer Joseph Rios III said at a news conference at the office of his attorney, Anthony Iacullo. ``I did what I was trained to do under the circumstances that existed at that time. I stand by my actions.''

Steve Sandberg reports

In the video, parts of which have been shown on television and on the Internet, Rios is seen throwing 49-year-old Ronnie Holloway against the hood of his police car and then to the ground, and appears to punch him and hit him with his baton. Holloway appears to be offering little resistance.

According to Iacullo, the video doesn't show what happened earlier. He declined to be specific other than to say that Holloway's words, actions and demeanor justified Rios' actions. The video, taken from a nearby surveillance camera, has no sound.

``There are things that exist before the encounter that is shown on the video that went into Officer Rios' decision to take the action that he did,'' Iacullo said. ``Segments of the video that have been shown are not the total and complete picture of what transpired on that particular day.''

There was no telephone listing for Holloway in Passaic. Holloway's mother, Betty Holloway, told The Record of Bergen County that her son suffers from schizophrenia and was taking a walk at the time of the incident and didn't provoke Rios.

Mayor Alex Blanco suspended Rios and fellow officer Erica Rivera Monday, three days after the video from the May 29 incident came to light. Rivera was suspended without pay, allegedly for filing a false report about the incident.

Rios was initially suspended with pay, but that was changed to a suspension without pay after Blanco heard from about 200 city residents who came to a regularly scheduled city council meeting Tuesday night.

``The vast majority of our police department are good, hardworking officers,'' Blanco said Wednesday. ``Given the circumstances, the actions taken to suspend both officers were appropriate and warranted. ``

The Passaic County Prosecutor's Office is investigating the incident and did not immediately return a call for comment Wednesday.

Dieseler
06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
``I did what was proper,'' Passaic Officer Joseph Rios III said at a news conference at the office of his attorney, Anthony Iacullo. ``I did what I was trained to do under the circumstances that existed at that time. I stand by my actions.''

That says a lot doesn't it.
Evidently it was Proper Police Policy that he was following.
Hmm.
I guess you would have to have a friend on the inside to find out what it takes to get an ass whoopin as far as Policy goes in your area.
Would be nice to know.
I bet policy widely varies from place to place.
Who sets the policy?
The Chief?
The mayor?
The Council?

Steeleye
06-17-2009, 12:12 PM
North Jersey is a festering cesspool of corruption and villainy.

roho76
06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't want to sound racist and I hope i don't come off this way but more times than not it's always an Hispanic officer that does this kinda stuff. Am I wrong? All the border agents from the illegal check point videos are Hispanic. Is this just coincidence? Is there some deep level of animosity towards Americans here.

Anti Federalist
06-17-2009, 12:19 PM
That says a lot doesn't it.
Evidently it was Proper Police Policy that he was following.
Hmm.
I guess you would have to have a friend on the inside to find out what it takes to get an ass whoopin as far as Policy goes in your area.
Would be nice to know.
I bet policy widely varies from place to place.
Who sets the policy?
The Chief?
The mayor?
The Council?

Much of it is set by federal policy.

Found that out first hand at public police commission meetings as the "force continuum" was changed in my little town from a vertically integrated policy (i.e. - a suspect does this, you may respond with this, if it continues to this, you may do this) to a "circular force response" which means, essentially, that the cop can use any level of force he sees fit to obtain "compliance".

That came directly from the fed "Fusion Center" in Concord and adopting this was a prerequisite for certain federal funding.

Not just funding from the feds is tied to this but also increased military firepower as well.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/06/15/details_emerge_on_distribution_of_military_weapons _in_mass/?page=full

Interesting quote from the article:

A random survey of 12 departments found none had notified the public, even though some have armed regular patrol officers with the rifles. One chief, in Belchertown, said he did tell the town's Board of Selectmen when he got four M-16s from the military in 2003 and when he equipped patrol cars with semiautomatic rifles he purchased from a manufacturer.

In Framingham, Lieutenant Paul Shastany likened community involvement in arms decisions to public involvement in hospitals' decisions on what type and how many heart stents to buy.

"That decision belongs with police officials, not the public," said Shastany, whose department received16 M-16s in 1997.

Anti Federalist
06-17-2009, 12:21 PM
North Jersey is a festering cesspool of corruption and villainy.

Mos Isely spaceport...:D

Brian4Liberty
06-17-2009, 12:22 PM
It seems at the very beginning that the guy on the corner was shirtless and putting on the jacket when the car pulled up. I wonder why the video was edited in that way? Why not include what was happening before that? Not that the guy deserved a beating just for being half naked or talking back to the police, but I don't trust the media either. Was he harassing other people before the police showed up?

I notice it is also speeded up, to hide the guy fighting back a bit?

TonySutton
06-17-2009, 12:22 PM
I remember this video. That officer was out of control.

Dieseler
06-17-2009, 12:24 PM

Found that out first hand at public police commission meetings as the "force continuum" was changed in my little town from a vertically integrated policy (i.e. - a suspect does this, you may respond with this, if it continues to this, you may do this) to a "circular force response" which means, essentially, that the cop can use any level of force he sees fit to obtain "compliance".

That came directly from the fed "Fusion Center" in Concord and adopting this was a prerequisite for certain federal funding.

Not just funding from the feds is tied to this but also increased military firepower as well.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/06/15/details_emerge_on_distribution_of_military_weapons _in_mass/?page=full

Interesting quote from the article:

Thanks for the info.
I really had no idea.

Brian4Liberty
06-17-2009, 12:29 PM
It's obscured by the light pole, and the fast speed of the video, but it looks like the guy pushes back and turns instead of "assuming the position" on the car hood. Police usually escalate when you do that...

Steeleye
06-17-2009, 12:34 PM

These fusion centers seem to be constantly coming up with new and exciting ways to abuse our civil rights and liberties.

These cops often like to play GI Joe. Unfortunately, it's usually in places like Downtown, Idaho, and innocent people get their faces blown off.

Anti Federalist
06-17-2009, 12:35 PM
These fusion centers seem to be constantly coming up with new and exciting ways to abuse our civil rights and liberties.

These cops often like to play GI Joe. Unfortunately, it's usually in places like Downtown, Idaho, and innocent people get their faces blown off.

Yes and yes.:mad::mad::mad:

Dieseler
06-17-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm...(Eeh!) sorry...(Ahh!) Sir...(Oww!) it...(Smash!) is...(Bang!) just...(Crunch!) POLICY!!! (ZZZZap!)

Anti Federalist
06-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Follow up on the MA story:

Massachusetts Suspends Pentagon Giveaways to Local Police Departments
Wednesday, June 17th, 2009

http://www.theagitator.com/2009/06/17/massachusetts-suspends-pentagon-giveaways-to-local-police-departments/