PDA

View Full Version : drill to the center of the earth possible?

disorderlyvision
06-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Romulan Planet Drill Now In Testing Stages, For Real
By Jesus Diaz, 4:40 PM on Mon Jun 15 2009,

If everything goes well, soon we will be able to reach the center of the Earth using 7200ºF flame jets that can go into any kind of material at 100 feet an hour. Wait, "if everything goes well"?

Yes, apparently this is a great idea because it can be the key to obtain cheap geothermal power. These drills—created by Jared Potter—will go deep into Mother Earth to reach the magma to make geothermal energy wells. The magma will be used then to superheat water and produce electricity using steam and turbines—forever and ever—something that is impossible now even with today's state-of-the-art drilling technology.

Unlike current drilling methods, the flame-jets make holes without touching the rock itself. Potter has two prototypes so far, both with the same results. The first fires a 3200ºF hydrogen flame to heat the rock, making cracks that expand into a full hole in a matter of minutes. The other one superheats a jet of water at 7200ºF and can work at super-deep levels, with extreme pressures.

They are both in the preliminary testing stages, but as you can see in the video, they show promise. If they work, it will be great idea with—hopefully—great benefits for all of mankind.

My primitive self, however, has a funny feeling about this. You know, why do people insist on doing things that may end up badly? Don't we have enough with pandemics and the bloody Apophis and its 3,000 dark comet friends coming to destroy the planet with Pink Floyd music playing on the background soon?

YouTube - Flame Drill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmxxsf_AJ3w)

http://gizmodo.com/5291538/romulan-planet-drill-now-in-testing-stages-for-real

Conza88
06-17-2009, 07:54 AM
And to think.... there are some retards out there who believe that this guy should get a patent, and use force and coercion via the state to restrict other individuals taking his idea and using it to then make their own styled jets and go 'digging' for cheap gas. :rolleyes:

TonySutton
06-17-2009, 08:08 AM
I have questions like what happens if they hit oil or gas with this thing?

If they start to burrow through coal will it start a never ending fire like we have in Wilkes Barre Pa or the one in southern Ohio?

Elwar
06-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Hmm...what are the zoning laws at the middle of the Earth? Can I move there?

tangent4ronpaul
06-17-2009, 08:20 AM
"go deep into Mother Earth to reach the magma..."

a hole in the earth reaching magma... isn't that the definition of a volcano?

-t

rpfan2008
06-17-2009, 08:23 AM
^ Exactly what I wanted to post.

But also earth's core is made up of Iron maybe that will unlock a lot of iron 'reserves' of the planet.

Lastly, this is the exact type of activity that might really cause unbalance in nature or 'climate change'.

Dr.3D
06-17-2009, 08:25 AM
It is not necessary to drill to the center of the earth to reach magma. In most places, it is less than twenty five miles deep.

Liberty Star
06-17-2009, 08:34 AM
I used to contemplate about this in physics class I think lol Earths radius is only 6400 km, why not setup a speedy shuttle between two poles of the earth by drilling a hole. I was told that some very hot bubbly stuff under the crest and some troublemaker creatures imprisoned under earth would pose problems in such a drilling.

Kylie
06-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Oh yeah, this is gonna work out great. Drill a big frickin hole to the center of the earth. Climate decimation.....get some :rolleyes:

Anyone wanna live on Mercury?

:D

steve005
06-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Ever hear of GEOthermic (not geothermal) ?

"An introduction to GEOthermic (not geothermal) energy as the ONLY sustainable alternative energy source for the future and the plans that SIREX and Turbojack International Corporation have for implementing GEOthermic Power Plants (GPPs) around the world"

They say they can dig over 12 miles deep in temps above 500 degrees, and the hole is TEN FEET WIDE!

check this stuff out; http://sirexgeothermic.blogspot.com

tangent4ronpaul
06-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I believe Iceland gets most of it's energy that way.

-t

Original_Intent
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
This is a far cry from drilling to the center of the earth. They are talking about drilling down to the magma, so they are just piercing the earths crust.

If the earth were the size of a peach, the crust would be roughly the thickness of the skin...hardly qualifies as drilling to the center of the earth...;)