PDA

View Full Version : First Time Reader

0zzy
09-22-2007, 08:14 PM
I don't read a lot of books, hell I don't read at all. I'm 17, and kids of my generation usually don't read at all.

However, I want to start to read books. But I need suggestions.

Actually, I just need to know if I should read Ron Paul's A Foreign Policy of Freedom first or is there a better book that would be an easier transition. I want to buy A Foreign Policy of Freedom, but I don't want to buy it and realize "damn, this is hard to read/I don't know most of the stuff he's talking about." So, should I get it? Or a better book out there?

thanks! :)

ronpaulfan
09-22-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't read a lot of books, hell I don't read at all. I'm 17, and kids of my generation usually don't read at all.

Actually, I just need to know if I should read Ron Paul's A Foreign Policy of Freedom first or is there a better book that would be an easier transition. I want to buy A Foreign Policy of Freedom, but I don't want to buy it and realize "damn, this is hard to read/I don't know most of the stuff he's talking about." So, should I get it? Or a better book out there?

You're 17? Read your school books, get A's and make sure you become an intern between your sophmore and junior years in college (or you'll have a hard time getting a job after college).

governmentwaste
09-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Read Guns Germs and Steel by Diamond.

This book is being used on the college level to introduce kids to a more scientific understanding of history. You need to understand history to understand politics.

I would also read Greenspan's new bio. This may be tougher reading if you do not have a background in finance. However, you will get the gist.

Travel makes you smart. Take off and go see the world.

0zzy
09-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Travel makes you smart. Take off and go see the world.

My dad is in the military, so I have traveled a lot :).
Grand Forks, North Dakota (1990-1994)
OFallon, Illinois (1994-1997)
Okinawa, Japan (1997-2002)
Waldorf, Maryland (2002-2004)
Belleville, Illinois (2004-2005)
Schertz, Texas (2005-Present)

and I often visit California and Illinois. And visited the cities around where I lived like St. Louis, Washington D.C., San Antonio, etc. Also visited Thailand for a month, Taiwan for a night, and lots of airports.

but...ya;).

So you guys don't think I should read his book? The reason I think I would like to read it as a beginning reader is because I have a great passion for Ron Paul and I've learned most of my political views from him. If I read another book I might get bored or become careless :o.

0zzy
09-22-2007, 08:33 PM
You're 17? Read your school books, get A's and make sure you become an intern between your sophmore and junior years in college (or you'll have a hard time getting a job after college).

Well, I'm already taking college courses for US Government, US Economics, and accounting. So for they are my easiest classes, my hardest is German ;).

But why should that stop me from reading Ron Paul's book? :O

ronpaulfan
09-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Well, I'm already taking college courses for US Government, US Economics, and accounting. So for they are my easiest classes, my hardest is German ;).

But why should that stop me from reading Ron Paul's book? :O

oh, saw your age and thought back to when I was 17. Definately read Ron Paul books to. Think hard about your major though. Technical jobs (engineering/computers) will pay a lot more in the end. Beware tough weed-out courses though.

dircha
09-22-2007, 08:52 PM

You'll find that reading historical and policy books will very rapidly put you heads and tails above your peers in any discussion, and will help you to build the resolve you will need to stand up to your (undoubtedly) neo-conservative university professors.

I haven't read Paul's book yet, but I can recommend Scheuer's Imperial Hubris and Chalmers' Blowback, both from Dr. Paul's reading list.

0zzy
09-22-2007, 08:55 PM
oh, saw your age and thought back to when I was 17. Definately read Ron Paul books to. Think hard about your major though. Technical jobs (engineering/computers) will pay a lot more in the end. Beware tough weed-out courses though.

Probably Multimedia Business/Business Administration, with a few courses in political science and journalism/media type? i dono :).

You'll find that reading historical and policy books will very rapidly put you heads and tails above your peers in any discussion, and will help you to build the resolve you will need to stand up to your (undoubtedly) neo-conservative university professors.

I haven't read Paul's book yet, but I can recommend Scheuer's Imperial Hubris and Chalmers' Blowback, both from Dr. Paul's reading list.

Ya I was thinking about those two. And books by the Judge. Hrmm...

JosephTheLibertarian
09-22-2007, 09:02 PM

read: War Crimes Against Southern Civilians ;)

ChristopherJ
09-22-2007, 09:15 PM
I would suggest Politically Incorrect Guide to American History. It's a pretty easy read and very entertaining. You can probably apply it to some of the things you've recently learned in school.

Right on the front cover...

Professor Woods heroically rescues real history from the politically correct memory hole. Every American should read this book.

~Ron Paul

JosephTheLibertarian
09-22-2007, 09:25 PM
http://www.common-place.org/vol-02/no-03/talk/images/wwn.jpg

0zzy
09-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Ron Paul's foreign policy reading list includes:

Chalmers Johnson's
BlowBack - The Costs and Consequences of American Empire

Michael Scheuer's
Imperial Hubris: Why the West Is Losing the War on Terror

The 9/11 Commission Report (I'd rather wait for a independent study)

Robert A. Pape's
Dying to Win

--

His recommended books on economics:

Henry Hazlitt's
Economics in One Lesson

Gene Callahan's
Economics for Real People

Fredrick Bastiat's
The Law

F.A. Hayek's
The Road to Serfdom

Robert P. Murphy's
The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism

Murray N. Rothbard's
What Has Government Done to Our Money

--
Ron Paul's
A Foreign Policy of Freedom
Freedom Under Siege
Mises and Austrian Economics: A Personal View
The Case for Gold
Gold, Peace, and Prosperity
--

Ron Paul Forum's reading list

Walter Brian Cisco's
War Crimes Against Southern Civilians

Thomas E. Woods Jr.'s
Politically Incorrect Guide to American History

-
I better start reading! :O
But it seems like everyone wants me to read something else before reading Ron Paul's book? :O

Green Mountain Boy
09-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Read this guy:

http://www.clemson.edu/caah/history/FacultyPages/PamMack/lec124/thoreau.jpg

jblosser
09-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Start with Ron's recommended list. _The Law_ first. Right now. You can read it online and it won't take more than a day or so. It's easy to understand and makes everything else oh so clear. It's the Bible of the liberty message.

After that read the Hazlitt book. Also very easy to read but explains the core principles you need to understand of all economics.

From there, go with what interests you the most. Ron's foreign policy book is just his speeches about the topic so it's all stuff you can read in the Ron Paul library.

ChristopherJ
09-22-2007, 10:42 PM
http://www.common-place.org/vol-02/no-03/talk/images/wwn.jpg

LOL! this is a bit of a stretch but some people do think Abraham Lincoln was Gay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexuality_of_Abraham_Lincoln).

Kregener
09-22-2007, 10:48 PM
The very FIRST book you should read is the King James Bible, and you should go on reading it your whole life.

But right behind that, you should read:

http://www.jpfo.org/tsvtp250x386.jpg

Is America becoming a police state? Friends of liberty need to know.

Some say the U.S. is already a police state. Others watch the news for signs that their country is about to cross an indefinable line. Since September 11, 2001, the question has become more urgent. When do roving wiretaps, random checkpoints, mysterious "detentions," and military tribunals cross over from being emergency measures to being the tools of a government permanently and irrevocably out of control?

The State vs. the People examines these crucial issues. But first, it answers this fundamental question: "What is a police state?"

Though few realize it, "police state" and "tyranny" are not synonyms. A police state is a specific mode of government with unmistakable features and attitudes. Conceived in Prussia amid war, power struggles, mercantilism, and Enlightenment ideals, police states have at times been oppressive but orderly and at times have served as the machinery of monsters.

In this new book Wolfe and Zelman reveal:

* The six core characteristics that define every police state

* The nine police-state actions we must learn to recognize

* The terrible four traits that define the ultimate horror, the totalitarian police state.

Chapter by chapter, Wolfe and Zelman draw parallels between conditions in today's America and the police states of the past.You'll learn:

* That the U.S. government education system, far from failing, is doing exactly what its Prussian-inspired founders intended -- discouraging learning while promoting blind obedience.

* Why "for your own good" stands among the most persuasive arguments a police state has for gaining control of citizens.

* Why the U.S. has so many impossible-to-follow laws and regulations.

* Why every police state needs wars and crises to justify its existence.

* Why our leaders know personal privacy must be erased.

* How lies and carefully planned "disinformation" are used against you every day.

* And why you must and will be disarmed if the U.S. isn't turned from its dangerous path.

Finally, you'll learn how you can help turn America from its dangerous course.

Each chapter is followed by a point-by-point summary you can use as a handout, as part of a slide-show presentation, or as notes for a debate or essay.

This is a book to share with fellow patriots who already understand. This is a book to share with your doubting friends, relatives, and neighbors -- who need to understand. This is a book to keep on your own shelves for intellectual ammo.

This is a book that can help save America -- if anything can.

governmentwaste
09-22-2007, 10:56 PM
You do realize that King James believed in divine right.

Talk about the state vs the people. Religion has no place in political discussion. Religion has no place in politics, period. History has repeatedly taught us this lesson.

0zzy
09-23-2007, 12:18 AM
My dad just bought Freakonomics,
anyone read that book?
thoughts on it?

Kregener
09-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Like history has taught that the godless will subjugate and murder millions and has no place in politics.

Give it a rest.

AlexAmore
09-23-2007, 12:56 AM
My dad just bought Freakonomics,
anyone read that book?
thoughts on it?

Freakonomics author, Levitt, is a liberal. He is pro gun control, abortion...ect.

Freedomnomics is the rebuttal to Freak and goes over abortion, gun control...ect from a pro free market point of view. You being a Ron Paul supporter will probably find Freedomnomics more enjoyable.

Freedomnomics: Why the Free Market Works and Other Half-Baked Theories Don't (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/1596985062/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful/102-8617382-4443328?ie=UTF8&n=283155#customerReviews)

I have only read half of Freaknomics and never read Freedomnomics so I can't really tell you anything about the books from a personal level.

SeanEdwards
09-23-2007, 02:06 AM
;

Penthouse Letters.

;)