PDA

View Full Version : Time to get cranking in Iowa, again

jacmicwag
09-22-2007, 08:07 PM
A few of us are starting an initiative to write a Ron Paul e-mail to every college kid in Iowa inviting them to view a few RP You Tube videos and get involved if they like what they see. We need about 20 to 30 people to help out since there are over 100,000 e-mails to send out. It's mostly cut and paste and quite easy to send out a couple of hundred in an hour's time.

Shoot me a private message if you can help and I'll get you setup to start cranking them out. Here is a sample of my message but you can send out whatever you like as long as it's a general pitch and has links to videos.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Adam:

My name is (insert your name here). I’m a graduate of Indiana University and now live and work in Houston, Texas. I am a volunteer for Congressman Ron Paul who is running for President of the United States. I’ve never been active in politics before but this year has changed all of that.

The reason I’m writing is to ask you to check out Dr. Paul – especially if the future of our country is something that concerns you. Mainstream media considers Ron Paul a bit of a long shot but his message is rapidly spreading across the Internet and throughout the country. Young people and students are some of his strongest supporters.

This January the people of Iowa (age 17 and up) will be the first in the nation to have their voices heard. Whoever wins the Caucuses has a very good chance of winning their party’s nomination. Since so much is at stake this time around, please take a moment to watch one of these videos and then decide for yourself.

If you like what you see, there are dozens of Ron Paul meetup and facebook groups throughout Iowa and we would love to have you get involved. If you need additional information or just want to stay plugged in to this network’s activities, please drop me a note so we can keep in touch. Our goal is to recruit 7,000 new votes for Ron Paul!

Regards,
(your name)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_HuFtP8w8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFfdB5OzlyQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfIhFhelm8
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/

Stealth4
09-22-2007, 08:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DqY8iIxe2c

Please include this video.

james1844
09-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Good for you guys. Hit it.

max
09-22-2007, 08:57 PM
great idea..

how are u getting all thosee e-mails?

also...u should add a request to recipipients to keep it circulating...chain letter effect

Mastiff
09-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Do you have a list of E-mail addresses and names? I could write a script to crank out the E-mails pretty quick.

ronpaulyourmom
09-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Somebody call YTCracker and the spamtec crew.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-22-2007, 09:44 PM
How about getting a bulk email program? www.warez-bb.org

Mastiff
09-23-2007, 06:23 AM

Well, if your gonna "spam" people anyway, no point in doing it manually. Seriously though, it would take less than an hour to get the script going once I had the names and E-mails up in an SQL database. The voter pledge does the same operations.

jacmicwag
09-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Well, it's manual by nature - each school has a list of public e-mail addresses for their students and you just have to query by name and then cut and paste your letter in. I include all of my information and address each letter to that person individually. It works better this way and does not come across as spam.

I appreciate your offer though and would love to have another person helping. We are an army of four as of tonight. Want to join?

Jack

JoshLowry
09-24-2007, 08:22 PM
nice idea jack!

lawl you from the [m]?

tiznow
09-24-2007, 09:29 PM
just for your information caucuses in iowa will be taking place during the winter break for college students. Not saying this isn't a worthwhile undertaking, but this makes our task very difficult in iowa. I'm from iowa city and getting our younger generation of iowans to show up for caucus night will be a major headache due to the timing of the caucuses. Last i heard it is probably being moved up to Jan 5th....4 days after new years....if they move it up to december that might actually help us as students will still be in school although likely having to deal with finals and the caucuses from what i understand go on until the wee hours of the night. Caucuses a completely different beast than primaries. You don't just show up to vote. You show up and alot of speeches and other crap goes on and you finally get around to voting at 2 or 3 am.

Like me for instance. I spend the winter break outside the state typically regardless of when the caucus falls i will be sure to come back to participate but i'm one the "hard-cores" you won't be finding alot of students spending the winter break outside the state coming back to participate in the caucus. Students and the young generation in general are hard to get out to them to begin with.

Sorry for being negative but this is the reality of iowa and it makes for a difficult task in the state as we draw our base of ron paul supporters from the under 30 crowd.

bbachtung
09-24-2007, 09:58 PM
How about a series of college caucus house parties the day before the caucuses? Maybe get some decent bands to play, and make it the winter equivalent of spring break in Iowa?

LibertyEagle
09-24-2007, 10:29 PM
just for your information caucuses in iowa will be taking place during the winter break for college students. Not saying this isn't a worthwhile undertaking, but this makes our task very difficult in iowa. I'm from iowa city and getting our younger generation of iowans to show up for caucus night will be a major headache due to the timing of the caucuses. Last i heard it is probably being moved up to Jan 5th....4 days after new years....if they move it up to december that might actually help us as students will still be in school although likely having to deal with finals and the caucuses from what i understand go on until the wee hours of the night. Caucuses a completely different beast than primaries. You don't just show up to vote. You show up and alot of speeches and other crap goes on and you finally get around to voting at 2 or 3 am.

Like me for instance. I spend the winter break outside the state typically regardless of when the caucus falls i will be sure to come back to participate but i'm one the "hard-cores" you won't be finding alot of students spending the winter break outside the state coming back to participate in the caucus. Students and the young generation in general are hard to get out to them to begin with.

Sorry for being negative but this is the reality of iowa and it makes for a difficult task in the state as we draw our base of ron paul supporters from the under 30 crowd.

What will get to them and make them see the urgent need? If I were that age, I would be very concerned of a potential draft coming my way. I wonder if they see that possibility?

tiznow
09-24-2007, 10:45 PM
How about a series of college caucus house parties the day before the caucuses? Maybe get some decent bands to play, and make it the winter equivalent of spring break in Iowa?

its both the holiday season and the dead of winter as well hard to get anybody out for anything.

The good news is bush won iowa in 2000 with just over 30000 votes if i remember right and i'm guessing turnout will be lower this year on the republican side.

So number wise we only need 20 to 30000 iowans to have a good showing....can we get that many is the question.

"hard-core" republicans are the ones who show up to iowa caucuses.....some of which i will add will come to participate in caucuses undecided....a key to this whole thing is getting well spoken ron paul supporters into the various precinct sites caucus night there is quite a bit of politicing that goes on. Many speeches etc from supporters of each candidate.

So swaying the republicans caucus night will be a key.