PDA

View Full Version : Politico Summary of Fred's "official" campaign

wgadget
09-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Thompson's campaign plagued by errors
By: Mike Allen
September 21, 2007 04:43 PM EST

Fred Thompson’s folksy candor, which his advisers had thought would be a priceless asset to his late-breaking presidential campaign, instead has sometimes produced a comedy of errors that has forced his long-suffering aides to patiently amplify and correct his vague pronouncements.

For two straight weeks, he has been plagued by gaffes and missteps — from saying that Osama bin Laden is “more symbolism than anything else” and should get due process of law if captured, to announcing he would attend a debate that, unbeknownst to his campaign, had been canceled long ago.

According to Republicans familiar with the fundraising of the major Republican campaigns, Thompson looks likely to come in third on the money list behind Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney, although ahead of the struggling John McCain.

Nevertheless, one incredulous critic is maintaining a “Thompson’s Gaffe-a-Day Calendar” to memorialize the sayings of candidate Thompson. Thompson’s bill of particulars:

•In South Carolina, a heavily Baptist state, he told reporters at his first campaign stop that he rarely goes to church: “I attend church when I’m in Tennessee. I’m in McLean [Va.] right now.”

•He told a woman at a South Carolina rally that he doesn’t plan to talk widely about his relationship with God on the campaign trail, according to Bloomberg news service.

•In Greenville, S.C., when asked if bin Laden should be immediately killed after his capture, he said: "No, no, no. We’ve got due process to go through.” In trying to fix that, his campaign told Politico that first the government should get as much information as possible, and told AP that he meant “the same rules ought to apply to him as to everyone at Guantanamo Bay.”

•In Florida, where the Terri Schiavo feeding-tube case was a cause celebre two years ago, Thompson told the Tampa area’s Bay News 9 that he couldn’t pass judgment and added: “That’s going back in history. I don’t remember the details of it.”

•In the same television interview, Thompson punted on the issue of hurricane property insurance, a huge local issue, by saying he doesn’t “know all the facts surrounding that case.”

•He also looked ill-prepared when The Associated Press reported from Tallahassee: “Republican presidential hopeful Fred Thompson seemed taken by surprise when asked Tuesday about oil drilling in the Everglades, apparently unaware it’s been a major Florida issue."

• NBC’s “First Read’ reports that when Thompson was asked Thursday about Louisiana’s “Jena Six” protest of Old South racism on his way into a San Antonio fundraiser, he replied: “I don't know anything about it."

•Thompson’s campaign said he was looking forward to an Oct. 14 debate in New Hampshire, but ABC News had canceled it in order to stay within party guidelines.

One setback, at least, was not directly self-inflicted. James Dobson, the influential Christian radio host, said in an e-mail to supporters that he won’t support Thompson because he has “no zeal” on key social issues.

The Politico’s Jonathan Martin contributed to this report.

erowe1
09-22-2007, 07:25 PM
I know he's supposedly had some problems getting his campaign going. But to be quite honest, I wouldn't call most of those quotes gaffs, or at least not serious ones.

njandrewg
09-22-2007, 07:28 PM
I know he's supposedly had some problems getting his campaign going. But to be quite honest, I wouldn't call most of those quotes gaffs, or at least not serious ones.
when you build yourself up to be the next coming of Christ...you are bound to run into problems when you don't perform to expectations

lynnf
09-22-2007, 07:29 PM

Taken individually, you're right. But taken all together, they indicate that there's nothing in between Fred's ears but space! Can't wait for his first debate!

lynn

ItsTime
09-22-2007, 07:29 PM

LMAO are you serious? The man is clueless

M.Bellmore
09-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Heh. Yeah, prolly ask his handlers where his lines are.

quickmike
09-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Taken individually, you're right. But taken all together, they indicate that there's nothing in between Fred's ears but space! Can't wait for his first debate!

lynn

Are you kidding? Fred will use some stupid one liner like "That dog dont hunt" or some other "im just a regular guy that talks like America" bullshit, and neo-cons all over the place will flap their forearms together like a bunch of seals in delight. I dont know, maybe you just have more confidence in the average american debate watcher than I do. Maybe Im to pessimistic.

bbachtung
09-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Are you kidding? Fred will use some stupid one liner like "That dog dont hunt" or some other "im just a regular guy that talks like America" bullshit, and neo-cons all over the place will flap their forearms together like a bunch of seals in delight. I dont know, maybe you just have more confidence in the average american debate watcher than I do. Maybe Im to pessimistic.

Catch phrases get old, and even with only 10 minutes of speaking time at a debate, Fred can't just keep saying "That dog don't hunt." Even Rudy has had to give up on using 9/11 constantly (now he only uses it semi-constantly).

Could you imagine a Giuliani-Fred "debate"?

Giuliani: 9/11. I was there on 9/11. 9/11.

Fred: That dog don't hunt, Mr. Mayor.

Giuliani: 9/11.

Fred: It still don't hunt.

Repeat ad nauseum.

Paulitician
09-22-2007, 08:34 PM
http://www.fred08.com/index.aspx

Check out the first video

"Words speak louder than words."

This man is brilliant.

Arkris
09-22-2007, 09:12 PM
http://www.fred08.com/index.aspx

Check out the first video

"Words speak louder than words."

This man is brilliant.

Wow.

I checked out the clip and he actually said, "Words speak louder than words." Intellectually, I knew that he was going to say it, but I still half expected that you were joking. I'm amazed that they're running it on their official website.

Looks like they're taking some ideas from the George W. Bush campaigns: Stupid sells.

RP4ME
09-22-2007, 09:13 PM

It show staht he is not passionate about what he is doing - everyone makes mistakes yes...but Paul is razor sharp and so ontopic - he is well informed - thsi to me shows he is playing at this - b/c he has been paid to be an actor by tptb. Its actually disturbing to watch thsi and to see how much support he really has...

JosephTheLibertarian
09-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Thompson is a joke lol

M.Bellmore
09-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Wow.

I checked out the clip and he actually said, "Words speak louder than words." Intellectually, I knew that he was going to say it, but I still half expected that you were joking. I'm amazed that they're running it on their official website.

Looks like they're taking some ideas from the George W. Bush campaigns: Stupid sells.

Ooooh good one! Great line for my script.

wgadget
09-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Somebody should make a Fred Thompson Funniest Videos blooper tape.

bbachtung
09-22-2007, 09:53 PM
That must be some mind trick: "Words speak louder than words."

davidhperry
09-22-2007, 10:05 PM
If info like this is true, then we should be prepared for FT exiles looking to support another candidate.