PDA

View Full Version : Fire David Letterman Rally Set for Tuesday

Liberty Star
06-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Anyone really thinks Israel media lobby would buckle and sacrifice Letterman over his comment about Palin's daughter?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1843729/fire_david_letterman_rally_set_for.html

EDIT:

It should be noted that man behind these "Letterman-Palin war" rallies is same man who was behind Faux news coordinated Tea Parties. Recent Faux news organized ratings stuntc were an attempt to hijack national anger over direction of US by the very forces that steered us where we are. Some Libertarians may have been fooled too by those parties.

Thursday, February 21, 2008
The Phil Valentine Show, and Why I Won't Vote for Ron Paul at the Convention

by Michael Patrick Leahy

As Abraham Lincoln demonstrated by his strong and wise actions a century and a half ago, the single most important responsibility of the President is to preserve and protect the Union. And Ron Paul's policy on Iraq would do exactly the opposite.

torchbearer
06-15-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't watch tv, so it matters little to me.

Liberty Star
06-15-2009, 03:18 PM
I dont either but if they actually managed to get Letterman yanked over this, it would be a major coup in US media.

Kade
06-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Why should he be fired? Rush Limbaugh has said similar things his entire career in broadcasting...

What happened to protecting speech?

torchbearer
06-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Why should he be fired? Rush Limbaugh has said similar things his entire career in broadcasting...

What happened to protecting speech?

The 1st amendment is written to restrict the government, not private owners.
Meaning- congress shall make no law abridging your freedom of speech.
Doesn't mean a private owner can't censor.

Objectivist
06-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Better idea, fire the IRS on Saturday and stop wasting time with dipshit entertainers.

Kade
06-15-2009, 03:23 PM
The 1st amendment is written to restrict the government, not private owners.
Meaning- congress shall make no law abridging your freedom of speech.
Doesn't mean a private owner can't censor.

That's not my point.

Ever person calling for this man to be removed is a hypocrite. Unless they have shown the same passion and fervor over the years of similar shit-spewing from Boss Limbaugh, Mark Levin, and Sean Hannity. Why are they still talking?

torchbearer
06-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Better idea, fire the IRS on Saturday and stop wasting time with dipshit entertainers.

yup.
this is sideshow distraction. the real tyrants are in DC.

Liberty Star
06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
That's not my point.

Ever person calling for this man to be removed is a hypocrite. Unless they have shown the same passion and fervor over the years of similar shit-spewing from Boss Limbaugh, Mark Levin, and Sean Hannity. Why are they still talking?

Fox may have to cancel all future "Tea Party" rallies because of recent DC shooting, could it be this is their new rallying cary now to keep people confused on real issues?

torchbearer
06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
That's not my point.

In a free society- the true recourse would be to boycott. It is a voluntary action.
So you boycott the sponsors of people you don't like.
Everyone is free to do so voluntarily.

I just hate when people talk about the freedom of speech as if it supersedes property rights.
SeekLiberty had no concept that the constitution was written to restrain the government, not the people.

Kade
06-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Fox may have to cancel any future "Tea Party" rallies because of shooting, this is their new rally cary now maybe?

The tea parties were hijacked by rich white affluent people who, upon asking for a permit to actual protest, made a mockery of our country. It's the people in charge, protesting who knows what...

I hope you people that thought that was a good idea got laughed out of dodge.

Your revolution is lost without the real activists. Make progress, open up the lines of communication to the liberals or continue being bigots.

torchbearer
06-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Dec 16th 2007 was the tea party.
Hell its even included in the wiki on the Boston Tea Party.

HOLLYWOOD
06-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Anyone really thinks Israel media lobby would buckle and sacrifice Letterman over his comment about Palin's daughter?

Well, It depends... Depends on how Useful Sarah Palin is to AIPAC and Isreal. How much value she hasover the next 20 years selling out the American taxpayers. Though Palin is a LUGNUT politican, her string are easier pulled than others. Doesn't she have an Israel flag in her governor's office? Didn't Palin meet with AIPAC before ANY type of Media or any public appearances? Sounds like AIPAC was dictating the GOP's RNC in Minneapolis.

How much clout David Letterman has... how he and his bosses broadcasting company can benefit their own agenda. I'd say Letterman will stay... as long as he continues to make the millions for CBS... Columbian Broadcast System.

Letterman Lives

kahless
06-15-2009, 05:07 PM
That's not my point.

That is a really poor comparison since when has Hannity, Limbaugh or Levin said anything sexually about the underage daughter or any daughter or child of a politician? You may disagree with their neo-conservative values but it is not the same.

anaconda
06-15-2009, 05:13 PM
I had been thinking that Sarah Palin might be a great addition to the freedom movement and had made a number of posts recently regarding this. Now that I am hearing her speak in public again, following the Letterman incident, I have changed my mind an owe everyone an apology that wasted their time reading my posts.

kahless
06-15-2009, 05:22 PM
I had been thinking that Sarah Palin might be a great addition to the freedom movement and had made a number of posts recently regarding this. Now that I am hearing her speak in public again, following the Letterman incident, I have changed my mind an owe everyone an apology that wasted their time reading my posts.

I then feel sorry for your kids if or when you have them. My reasons would be the fact that she supported John McCain but if you can look past that then why is this a problem for you? Are you blinded because you are a fan of Letterman?

If Letterman said something about Obama's kids there would be such outrage that CBS would have to take him off the air. Why is it then is it ok if it is Sarah Palin's kids? I actually think more of her now that she put politics aside to defend her children. I say that since obviously her fighting it is not playing well with young people or anything goes liberals in this country. (The same people that would be demanding CBS take Letterman off the air if he said something about Obamas kids).

Eric Arthur Blair
06-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Once again Sarah Palin proves how dumb she is, attacking a Jewish media personality. bad idea even if she is in the right.

Lovecraftian4Paul
06-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Who cares? The only thing that matters is the illustration of how dumb and out of touch neo-cons are for acting like celebrity battles are serious business.

anaconda
06-15-2009, 05:44 PM
I then feel sorry for your kids if or when you have them. My reasons would be the fact that she supported John McCain but if you can look past that then why if this a problem for you? Are you blinded because you are a fan of Letterman?

If Letterman said something about Obama's kids there would be such outrage that CBS would have to take him off the air. Why is it then is it ok if it is Sarah Palin's kids? I actually think more of her now that she put politics aside to defend her children. I say that since obviously her fighting it is not playing well with young people or anything goes liberals in this country. (The same people that would be demanding CBS take Letterman off the air if he said something about Obamas kids).

She simply is a very poor speaker and sounds insincere and self conscious. I had hoped the horrible speaking patterns had been attributable to the McCain campaign scripting. Apparently not entirely...

If she wanted to use her kids as political footballs she could have handled the whole thing a lot more effectively. She should have made a short statement and not commented on it any further. Something like: "I hope Dave is proud of himself. His attempt at humor were hurtful to my daughter. I feel sorry for him.' Done. She would have been martyred and made gains with her image. Instead she took it way out of context and sounded silly to me. This is not a composed person that I would trust to team up with Ron Paul. A few months off have not helped her. I am not a Letterman fan, particularly. He can be a real petty jackass and he never stops thinking it's cute. I think she was trying to score "family values" rhetoric points and it backfired. She could have come off firm and resolute and with the appearance of priorities and a wisdom about context. Instead she looked rattled, inarticulate, and like someone who's buttons can be easily pushed. Let's not forget that she paraded the whole family out for political effect during the general election.

I had hoped she would have been trying to re-package herself and her approach with the media in her time off. Maybe she is and jumped the gun. If so, that in itself would represent an error in judgment.

Sandman33
06-15-2009, 05:49 PM
They are both d-bags.

Should Letterman get fired...no.

Should Palin keep being a dumbass? no choice.

Should AIPAC get their asses kicked back to Israel? YES.

anaconda
06-15-2009, 05:55 PM
They are both d-bags.

Should Letterman get fired...no.

Should Palin keep being a dumbass? no choice.

Should AIPAC get their asses kicked back to Israel? YES.

I don't know that the good citizens of Israel want their neocon AIPAC sorry asses in Israel. Send them to Dubai with Dick Cheney.

Zippyjuan
06-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Limbaugh should go before Letterman. Dave is much more entertaining. At least people know not to take him seriously. Rush should be taken less seriously too.

Kade
06-15-2009, 06:27 PM
That is a really poor comparison since when has Hannity, Limbaugh or Levin said anything sexually about the underage daughter or any daughter or child of a politician? You may disagree with their neo-conservative values but it is not the same.

Are you serious?

"Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat. Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is a White House dog?" -->puts up a picture of 13 year old Chelsea Clinton.

-Rush Limbaugh 1-/17/93

Also, nobody can prove that Letterman wasn't talking about the older daughter, who is not underage.

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 06:31 PM

So it is.

What a great day.

Kade
06-15-2009, 06:32 PM
So it is.

What a great day.

And then you were hijacked, and what I saw was a bunch of Paulites taking it up the ass for Newscorp.

Despicable.

20 cool points to whoever can correctly explain why that happened.

Chomsky
06-15-2009, 06:35 PM
going after Letterman just reinforces how messed up American's priorities are, just ridicoulous. Letterman is hilarious. And I really think it will never happen (getting him fired). If it does happen, God help us.
Just the thought of everything that is happening in the world today and people are spending energy on this rally is laughable.

Kade
06-15-2009, 06:42 PM
going after Letterman just reinforces how messed up American's priorities are, just ridicoulous. Letterman is hilarious. And I really think it will never happen (getting him fired). If it does happen, God help us.
Just the thought of everything that is happening in the world today and people are spending energy on this rally is laughable.

It really isn't that many people... it's the Right, and their talking points, their ridiculous news cycles, their unbelievable offense at something as stupid as this, all the while hoping America gets attacked again so they can get back on the feartrain to the Whitehouse.

They shouldn't be insulted at the joke... they should use it as a fucking mirror.

Liberty Star
06-15-2009, 06:44 PM
How much clout David Letterman has... how he and his bosses broadcasting company can benefit their own agenda. I'd say Letterman will stay... as long as he continues to make the millions for CBS... Columbian Broadcast System.

Letterman Lives

Good call.

That was the real Tea Party.

Recent Faux news organized ratings stunt were an attempt to hijack national anger over direction of US by the very forces that steered us where we are. Some simple minded real Libertarians may have been fooled too. Man behind these "Letterman-Palin war" rallies is same man who was behind Faux news coordinated Tea Parties.

by Michael Patrick Leahy

As Abraham Lincoln demonstrated by his strong and wise actions a century and a half ago, the single most important responsibility of the President is to preserve and protect the Union. And Ron Paul's policy on Iraq would do exactly the opposite.

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Make progress, open up the lines of communication to the liberals or continue being bigots.

Kade, I'm not quite sure who you are ranting about here, but I do that all the time.

I had a fellow onboard my ship last hitch, NYC resident and Obama voter, who also happened to be Jewish. Can't get much more liberal than that I suppose.

After two weeks of carefully explaining my position to him and he to me, it became clear that there was very little separating us, since he rapidly discovered that I was not a "narrow minded bigot" but rather somebody who takes a position of liberty for all. He, at the same time, was not a wealth redistributing commie, but someone who had placed "hope" in changing the administration and was fast becoming disillusioned.

And yes, "The Obama Deception" was watched and discussed, as was 9/11.

Far from being the "forbidden third rail of kookiness" that some here would suggest, it helped define that my position is neither left nor right, that those labels don't even apply anymore.

I run into people from all over the country and all over the world on a regular basis, and freedom does work and resonate, especially when well thought out and sincere.

Theocrat
06-15-2009, 06:49 PM
What exactly did David Letterman say about Sarah Palin?

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 06:50 PM
It really isn't that many people... it's the Right, and their talking points, their ridiculous news cycles, their unbelievable offense at something as stupid as this, all the while hoping America gets attacked again so they can get back on the feartrain to the Whitehouse.

They shouldn't be insulted at the joke... they should use it as a fucking mirror.

Again, I can't speak for everybody but my bona fides concerning the idiocy of the "right's" chattering class is well documented.

Bash 'em all you want, you are correct to do so.

Just so long as you reserve equal disdain for those on the "left".

Both sides are playing a game, a hustle, a con job and the rubes and suckers keep falling for it.

Kade
06-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Again, I can't speak for everybody but my bona fides concerning the idiocy of the "right's" chattering class is well documented.

Both sides are playing a game, a hustle, a con job and the rubes and suckers keep falling for it.

I cringe as solidly as I do with them, when I hear as egregious nonsense, which I do almost as often.

Kade
06-15-2009, 06:57 PM

Btw, I occasionally post articles from liberals here, so that some that are willing can cleanse themselves of the attitudes they have...

Some of you may like this article, by Tom Engelhardt.

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/22314

Liberty Star
06-15-2009, 06:59 PM
The tea parties were hijacked by rich white affluent people who, upon asking for a permit to actual protest, made a mockery of our country. It's the people in charge, protesting who knows what...

I hope you people that thought that was a good idea got laughed out of dodge.

Your revolution is lost without the real activists. Make progress, open up the lines of communication to the liberals or continue being bigots.

I missed that, this may relate to point you were making. I'm not so clear about "Right" "Left" or similar designations considerring the pollution "neocons" have caused in both camps.

That was the real Tea Party.

Recent Faux news organized ratings stunt were an attempt to hijack national anger over direction of US by the very forces that steered us where we are. Some simple minded real Libertarians may have been fooled too. Man behind these "Letterman-Palin war" rallies is same man who was behind Faux news coordinated Tea Parties.

by Michael Patrick Leahy

Well said, each issue should face scrutiny on its own merits without getting into the "right" left" traps of group think. Equal opportunity "bashing" maybe the way to go.

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 06:59 PM
And then you were hijacked, and what I saw was a bunch of Paulites taking it up the ass for Newscorp.

Despicable.

20 cool points to whoever can correctly explain why that happened.

You didn't see me there, for just that very reason.

I'm not going to try for the points, the way you wrote it suggests that you alone know the reason why.

I have my theories, but let's hear yours first.

Kade
06-15-2009, 07:06 PM
You didn't see me there, for just that very reason.

I'm not going to try for the points, the way you wrote it suggests that you alone know the reason why.

I have my theories, but let's hear yours first.

1. You were a legitimate threat to current Republican leadership.
2. Changing the tune and tone to taxation got the general Fox watching crowd involved.
3. Liberals were made to be the enemies, so this time around, they didn't show up.
4. Newscorp made bank promoting it... and it turned quickly into an anti-left, anti-obama, anti tax the rich fiasco.

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Btw, I occasionally post articles from liberals here, so that some that are willing can cleanse themselves of the attitudes they have...

Some of you may like this article, by Tom Engelhardt.

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/22314

The last line:

In the meantime, our new president has loosed the manhunters. His manhunters. This is where charisma disappears into the charnel house of history. Watch out.

Yup.

As much noise as people want to make over the man or his skin color and what that means, when the rubber really meets the road, it's just a bunch of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 07:12 PM
1. You were a legitimate threat to current Republican leadership.
2. Changing the tune and tone to taxation got the general Fox watching crowd involved.
3. Liberals were made to be the enemies, so this time around, they didn't show up.
4. Newscorp made bank promoting it... and it turned quickly into an anti-left, anti-obama, anti tax the rich fiasco.

Fair enough.

I hold that items 2 to 4 are incidental.

Item number one is the prime reason, we, all of us, were not just threat to the Republican establishment, but a threat to the Establishment, period.

That is why the slings, barbs, arrows and "dirty tricks" came from all angles, from HuffPo to Red State to Reason.

These and the larger MSM organs are all wedded to the status quo in some cases having their very financial lives tied to the Establishment's well being.

The flak, especially from November 2007 to February 2008 was furious, which indicated we were directly over the target.

LibertyEagle
06-15-2009, 07:13 PM

The whole left-right thing as it currently stands is just a ruse. They're all for big government now, at the top, and trying to convince people that there is a difference, when there's not. How do we make people understand that buying what either of them is selling is actually buying the same end result and that they have another option? That's why I keep talking about another kind of spectrum that depicts the amount of government advocated and its inherent power. People seem to have forgotten that "limited constitutional republic", "states' rights", "individual liberty", "personal responsibility", "personal privacy", etc. were once much more than just slogans that the fakesters now periodically toss out.

Kade
06-15-2009, 07:16 PM
The whole left-right thing as it currently stands is just a ruse. They're all for big government now, at the top, and trying to convince people that there is a difference, when there's not. How do we make people understand that buying what either of them is selling is actually buying the same end result and that they have another option?

By listening to those that are defecting from the "left", and not scaring them away with this nonsense I see spewed here daily.

Those that don't want theocracy, don't like big government, prefer free speech absolutism, and still want a fair government regulation of monopolies.

Bman
06-15-2009, 07:19 PM
What a great liberty moment.

Lets fire someone for saying something we didn't like.

1 star.

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 07:20 PM
The whole left-right thing as it currently stands is just a ruse. They're all for big government now, at the top, and trying to convince people that there is a difference, when there's not. How do we make people understand that buying what either of them is selling is actually buying the same end result and that they have another option?

Jeez, I really wish I had a good answer for that.

Believe me, I spend more than a few waking hours every day trying to figure that one out.

In another thread there is Billo arguing with an abortion doctor on video. Now, I couldn't bring myself to watch it, but the general consensus was that both of these people were idiots and destroyed each other's position.

Maybe encouraging that sort of thing might be part of the answer. Sooner or later people will see it for the phony wrestling match that it is.

At that time we just have to be prepared to offer the alternative.

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 07:22 PM
By listening to those that are defecting from the "left", and not scaring them away with this nonsense I see spewed here daily.

Those that don't want theocracy, don't like big government, prefer free speech absolutism, and still want a fair government regulation of monopolies.

How about Bill of Rights absolutism?

Kade
06-15-2009, 07:25 PM
How about Bill of Rights absolutism?

Sort of hard to do when so many people have different interpretations of it...

Mitt Romneys sideburns
06-15-2009, 07:29 PM
I dont see what was so offensive about it. I think Palin seriously was just so stupid she thought he was actually talking about her 14 year old and didnt make the Bristol connection.

jmlfod87
06-15-2009, 07:31 PM
I honestly think the reason Palin made such a big stink about it is to stay relevant until the GOP race begins.

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Sort of hard to do when so many people have different interpretations of it...

http://www.gedankenverbrechen.org/~tk/NeoWhoa.jpg

Whoa, you just jettisoned a whole container load of your credibility if you mean that.

If you are, self described, a "free speech absolutist" what else is there to interpret?

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech...

That's very clear.

So is "shall not be infringed".

So is "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated".

So is "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation".

So is "nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice".

So is "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people".

It's all very clear, all ten of them.

"Interpretation" is a scam, a weasly way of saying that "Well some of those rights are important to me, but others make me very uncomfortable. Maybe they really don't mean what they say".

Liberty Star
06-15-2009, 08:22 PM

There is a poll in Hot Topics on "God Created Man or Man Created God", you should check out its findings before making up your mind about peoples views here. There is some natural divergence within Libertarian minded people when it comes to personal beliefs and sometimes things can get bit out of hand in passionate debates on hot issues but by far overwhelming majority here supports separation of Church and State.

Cowlesy
06-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Palin/Letterman is such a bullshit sideshow distraction from the 8,000 things being rammed through Congress right now --- everyday there is some new ridiculous thing like Cash for Clunkers or that you have to get a lender's license to sell your house.

Liberty is continuously erroding away and all Fox News or any of the networks can do is bitch about David Letterman and James Von Brunn.

GTFO.

malkusm
06-15-2009, 08:29 PM
http://www.gedankenverbrechen.org/~tk/NeoWhoa.jpg

Whoa, you just jettisoned a whole container load of your credibility if you mean that.

If you are, self described, a "free speech absolutist" what else is there to interpret?

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech...

That's very clear.

So is "shall not be infringed".

So is "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated".

So is "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation".

So is "nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice".

So is "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people".

It's all very clear, all ten of them.

"Interpretation" is a scam, a weasly way of saying that "Well some of those rights are important to me, but others make me very uncomfortable. Maybe they really don't mean what they say".

+1 :cool:

Golding
06-15-2009, 08:37 PM
The joke was tasteless, but it would be awfully disgraceful if he were to get fired over it. Instead of apologizing publicly, he should have just apologized privately and acknowledged that he did that if anyone asked.

foofighter20x
06-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Call off the rally.... Letterman apologized. :p

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06/15/david-letterman-apologizes-to-palins-over-coarse-joke/

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Palin/Letterman is such a bullshit sideshow distraction from the 8,000 things being rammed through Congress right now --- everyday there is some new ridiculous thing like Cash for Clunkers or that you have to get a lender's license to sell your house.

Liberty is continuously erroding away and all Fox News or any of the networks can do is bitch about David Letterman and James Von Brunn.

GTFO.

I concur.

GTFO and STFU.:mad:

kahless
06-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Are you serious?

"Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat. Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is a White House dog?" -->puts up a picture of 13 year old Chelsea Clinton.

-Rush Limbaugh 1-/17/93

Also, nobody can prove that Letterman wasn't talking about the older daughter, who is not underage.

It does not really matter which daughter since he should have left her kids out of it. Saying it is ok if it was intended for the 18 year old is still wrong.

I have not seen the video of Limbaugh in 1993 but read it was debatable whether that was intentional. If it was that is just as wrong. But to say Limbaugh is a hate monger over this from 1993 is ridiculous. If there were hate speech on his show he would not still be on the air. You may disagree with his politics but does not mean he spews hate.

After seeing Lettermans apology tonight I think people should just let it go at this point.