PDA

View Full Version : First 'anti-stab' knife to go on sale in Britain

disorderlyvision
06-15-2009, 02:32 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6501720.ece

The first “anti-stab” knife is to go on sale in Britain, designed to work as normal in the kitchen but to be ineffective as a weapon.

The knife has a rounded edge instead of a point and will snag on clothing and skin to make it more difficult to stab someone.

It was invented by industrial designer John Cornock, who was inspired by a documentary in which doctors advocated banning traditional knives.

Mr Cornock, 42, from Swindon, said that the knife will cut vegetables, but will make it almost impossible to stab someone to death and will reduce the risk of accidental injuries.

He said: “It can never be a totally safe knife, but the idea is you can’t inflict a fatal wound. Nobody could just grab one out of the kitchen drawer and kill someone.”

The knife is expected to sell for around £40-50 and has been tested with “very favourable” results by the Home Office’s Design and Technology Alliance - set up to research products that can deter crime.

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't have a <facepalm> big enough for that.

KCIndy
06-15-2009, 03:05 PM

The knife has a rounded edge instead of a point and will snag on clothing and skin to make it more difficult to stab someone.

UN...

:mad:

FREAKIN'...

:mad:

BELIEVABLE...

We're going to be reduced to cutting our steak with knives resembling a pair of Kindergarten "safety scissors."

Pardon me while I go puke....

torchbearer
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
I wonder how they plan to get rid of shanks.
Any small tree branch can make a nice weapon, both for thrusting and bashing.

gls
06-15-2009, 03:09 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/3084176591_1989e1f8dd_b.jpg

heavenlyboy34
06-15-2009, 03:09 PM
I wonder how they plan to get rid of shanks.
Any small tree branch can make a nice weapon, both for thrusting and bashing.

I predict some sort of "Tree Czar" to take care of that, citizen. :eek::(

torchbearer
06-15-2009, 03:13 PM
I predict some sort of "Tree Czar" to take care of that, citizen. :eek::(

and rocks.
glass shards.
bottles.
etc-

That is what they don't understand- in Japan they banned guns- so murders via knives increased dramatically.
If you then ban knives- murders will happen using another weapon.
These laws don't prevent murder- just how the murder is done.

JK/SEA
06-15-2009, 03:22 PM
When i attack someone, i prefer blazing marshmellows.

>sarc<

someperson
06-15-2009, 03:23 PM
I can already see the unintended consequences of this. Someone in the UK, who has no other means of defense available, can no longer repel an attacker by simply brandishing this knife, with no intent to actually use it, as an attacker would not fear such a weapon. It may also change the behavior of aggressors. People may opt to use a weapon like that more often, and in less serious circumstances, than a common knife, due to the perception of it being less dangerous; the knife equivalent to a taser.

As the military industry shows us, people can be very innovative when it comes to weaponry. I can only imagine what new ways people will come up with to use a knife like that to critically harm another person... actually, the first method that comes to mind isn't very new at all. You can't legislate away human nature, and you can't protect people from themselves.

Dr.3D
06-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Will they also take peoples pencils away. A pencil can be used very effectively as a stabbing weapon.

LOL, I notice a lot of kids with them in school too.

Sandman33
06-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Unbelievable....absolute horseshit.

I had knives as a kid and I LOVED them. I never hurt myself or anyone else with them. They came in handy fairly often.

paulim
06-15-2009, 04:05 PM
...has been tested with “very favourable” results by the Home Office’s Design and Technology Alliance

how many experimentees died or were injured in this test?

Dr.3D
06-15-2009, 04:20 PM
So what keeps someone from using a sharping stone to fix those to work correctly?

tangent4ronpaul
06-15-2009, 04:54 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/3084176591_1989e1f8dd_b.jpg

Un-Freaking-believable!

A spoon, a spoon! call the SWAT team! :rolleyes:

-t

FrankRep
06-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Sticks and stones still work well.

dannno
06-15-2009, 04:58 PM
I think it's a great idea, I would consider buying them if they performed well cutting vegetables.

No need to force them on anyone, though..

ramallamamama
06-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Next they'll be banning golf clubs. So much for the British Open.

Eric Arthur Blair
06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Knife crime is a serious problem in the UK. It has been in the news this week over this trial. 16 year old boy stabbed to death 11 times.

Ben Kinsella killers sentenced to life

Three young men told they will serve at least 19 years for murdering 16-year-old schoolboy in London last year
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jun/12/ben-kinsella-murder-life-sentence

FrankRep
06-15-2009, 05:29 PM
People will make their own knifes. Try stopping that.

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Knife crime is a serious problem in the UK. It has been in the news this week over this trial. 16 year old boy stabbed to death 11 times.

Three young men told they will serve at least 19 years for murdering 16-year-old schoolboy in London last year

Yes it is.

It also shows the complete and utter failure of "weapons control" as a means of stopping crime.

LATruth
06-15-2009, 07:45 PM
I bet you I could still stab someone with them and it would inflict more damage and pain do to tearing of the skin vs cutting it.

Freedom 4 all
06-15-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm just glad I can fight with my fists. Although in Canada a blackbelt is considered a lethal weapon. I've heard you actually have to go register your hands and shit. I'm not 100% sure what the deal is cause what I do isn't belt graded so I don't have to register.

Freedom 4 all
06-15-2009, 08:13 PM
So what keeps someone from using a sharping stone to fix those to work correctly?

People are too lazy/stupid to figure out how.

malkusm
06-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I don't really see what the big deal is here.

Are knives going to be outlawed? No. Even if they were, obviously, no one would heed such a law.

Do I have a problem with people buying these knives? Of course not, let it compete in the marketplace and perhaps it will be profitable and stick around.

I see a lot of people scoffing at this, and I don't really understand why....no, obviously it doesn't deter crime, and no, I wouldn't buy one....but it's neither my product, nor my decision whether anyone else buys it.

Steeleye
06-15-2009, 08:36 PM
It's my understanding that, rather than firearms, gangs in some UK cities can often be found engaging in samurai sword fights.

Andrew-Austin
06-15-2009, 08:39 PM
When your at home eating a steak, the government must be there to ensure you don't go stabbing the Misses with a knife.

pacelli
06-15-2009, 08:45 PM
I've always thought that the sanctions in the UK served as a pilot program for what is planned for the US and other areas of the controlled world.

Surveillance society, weapons ban, thought crime, you guys always seem to get hit first.

Sandman33
06-15-2009, 08:49 PM
I've always thought that the sanctions in the UK served as a pilot program for what is planned for the US and other areas of the controlled world.

Surveillance society, weapons ban, thought crime, you guys always seem to get hit first.

You're EXACTLY right about that my friend.

Cant have legalized guns in the land where the Global Tyrant Rothschilds live....some of you might get ahold of them and actually fight back against our opressors.

Golding
06-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Is this knife mandated, or is it simply a market option? If the latter, no biggie. If the former, I'd invest in knife sharpeners. :D

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Is this knife mandated, or is it simply a market option? If the latter, no biggie. If the former, I'd invest in knife sharpeners. :D

Notice it was run past some Ministry of something or other for their input.

It will be mandated in the future.

Bet on it.

Dr.3D
06-15-2009, 09:59 PM

A nice electric motor operated grind stone can do wonders when it comes to turning sheet metal into blades.

roho76
06-15-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't even know what to say. This is so FUCKING ridiculous that it defies all logic.

When are they going to mandate that everyone wraps themselves in bubble wrap to avoid getting injured until we all suffocate from wrapping ourselves in bubble wrap.

Golding
06-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Notice it was run past some Ministry of something or other for their input.

It will be mandated in the future.

Bet on it.Until then, I don't really have a major issue with a marketed product.

ChickenHawk
06-15-2009, 10:59 PM

Damn, that kid had more lives than a cat.

TheEvilDetector
06-16-2009, 04:20 AM
Will they also take peoples pencils away. A pencil can be used very effectively as a stabbing weapon.

LOL, I notice a lot of kids with them in school too.

No this is not necessary don't be silly.

In the not too distant future, the "Hand Cushion Implementation Safety Patriot Act" will pass.

This act stipulates that the arms are to be inserted into portable cushions when not in the process of feeding oneself/going to toilet. This will cut down on crime and
everyone will be happier.

jkr
06-16-2009, 06:51 AM
when will they ban martial arts?
I am a weapon!

BillyDkid
06-16-2009, 01:04 PM

The first “anti-stab” knife is to go on sale in Britain, designed to work as normal in the kitchen but to be ineffective as a weapon.

It was invented by industrial designer John Cornock, who was inspired by a documentary in which doctors advocated banning traditional knives.

Mr Cornock, 42, from Swindon, said that the knife will cut vegetables, but will make it almost impossible to stab someone to death and will reduce the risk of accidental injuries.

He said: “It can never be a totally safe knife, but the idea is you can’t inflict a fatal wound. Nobody could just grab one out of the kitchen drawer and kill someone.”

The knife is expected to sell for around £40-50 and has been tested with “very favourable” results by the Home Office’s Design and Technology Alliance - set up to research products that can deter crime.
I'm wondering who the market is for this knife. Is it people who suspect they may be tempted to stab somebody and are afraid they can't control their urges so they feel the need to buy such a knife?

Dr.3D
06-16-2009, 01:13 PM
No this is not necessary don't be silly.

In the not too distant future, the "Hand Cushion Implementation Safety Patriot Act" will pass.

This act stipulates that the arms are to be inserted into portable cushions when not in the process of feeding oneself/going to toilet. This will cut down on crime and
everyone will be happier.

Better have everybody wearing a helmet with face guard at the same time as the cushions so when they trip and fall down, they won't knock out their own teeth or bump their heads too.

Mini-Me
06-16-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm wondering who the market is for this knife. Is it people who suspect they may be tempted to stab somebody and are afraid they can't control their urges so they feel the need to buy such a knife?

If this were invented elsewhere (i.e. not the knife-fearing UK), I'd suggest maybe something similar might be invented for families afraid of their kids dropping their steak knives on themselves (or on the pet dog/cat/gerbil/python/crocodile). As it is, I'm HOPING that this knife is being marketed to restaurants and such...because if it's being marketed to individuals, I see one of the following two situations occurring:
Maybe individuals will soon ONLY be allowed to buy these crippled knives.
In softer form of fascism, perhaps anyone who buys other kinds of knives will begin to be viewed suspiciously.
Personally, I think it's a good idea to have pointy kitchen knives. Sure, you'll usually just be cutting vegetables, but it's better to be safe than sorry if you ever need some makeshift weapon to defend yourself with.

Dr.3D
06-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Maybe they have had a rash of people who run around with knives pointing upward and have fallen on them. Some people like to live dangerously and run with a sharp object pointed toward themselves. :D

Cowlesy
06-16-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't have a <facepalm> big enough for that.

You know...it is getting to the point where I just laugh when I read this stuff.

Dr.3D
06-16-2009, 01:56 PM
You know...it is getting to the point where I just laugh when I read this stuff.

ROFL.... soon you will have to get to the blunt. LOL

tangent4ronpaul
06-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Remember - this is the same country that mandated that all bars can only have unbreakable glasses and bottles in bars...

The idiocy is getting ridiculous!

Coming to the USA soon!

-t

Semper Vigilans
06-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Y'know, I hope somebody told them that you're much more likely to be hurt by a dull knife than a sharp one....

I've been stabbed once and cut once by someone else, both times by very sharp knives. It helped me heal quicker/cleaner from what I was told. It also helped that the stabbing knife didn't have a blood groove to break the suction. :D

I don't think a knife ban would work in this country. They'd have to get through all the high-speed lead first to get to the sharp-pointy objects. :D

<-- Likes sharp, pointy, shiny things.