PDA

View Full Version : Operation Vigilant Eagle: We're all targets

ghengis86
06-15-2009, 07:48 AM
FYI, we're F@#$%&...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124501849215613523.html

The recent killings of a U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum guard and a Kansas abortion doctor came a few months after the Federal Bureau of Investigation stepped up efforts to pre-empt violence committed by just such political extremists working alone.

"Lone-wolf offenders continue to be of great concern to law enforcement," the agency said in a February memo reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. The FBI is "trying to identify a potential lone wolf before he or she would act out violently," Michael Ward, the bureau's deputy assistant director for counterterrorism, said in an interview earlier this year.

The lone-wolf initiative is one element of a broader strategy to fight domestic terrorism, dubbed "Operation Vigilant Eagle," launched late last year in response to what the memo identified as "an increase in recruitment, threatening communications, and weapons procurement by white supremacy extremist and militia/sovereign citizen extremist groups."

From the Archives
Veterans a Focus of FBI Extremist Probe (04/17/09)Vigilant Eagle's creation was first reported by the Journal in April.

The memo, and the recent killings, also show the limits of the lone-wolf effort. Both James von Brunn, who is charged with the Holocaust Museum shooting, and Scott Roeder, the man arrested in the murder of George Tiller in Kansas, had openly expressed to associates and on Web sites their extremist views, on anti-Semitism in Mr. von Brunn's case and on abortion in the case of Mr. Roeder. The FBI, in fact, was aware of Mr. von Brunn because of the postings but wasn't tracking him.

Neither man appears to have been active in groups that might have tipped off authorities to the danger. In the search for potentially violent individual extremists, "an emphasis should be placed on the identification of individuals who have been ostracized from a group for their radical beliefs," the FBI memo said. It added that officials should look for "those who have voluntarily left a group due to their perception of the group's inactivity, or those forced from the group for being too extreme and or violent." That description doesn't appear to have fit either Mr. von Brunn or Mr. Roeder.

"The lone wolf is arguably one of the biggest challenges to American law enforcement," said Mike Rolince a former FBI counterterrorism official who spent years focused on domestic extremists. "How do you get into the mind of a terrorist? The FBI does not have the capability to know when a person gets up in middle America and decides: 'I'm taking my protest poster to Washington or I'm taking my gun.' "

While much of the focus in recent years has been on international terrorism and on militant groups, authorities say the lone-wolf syndrome has always been a major concern, borne out by high-profile incidents such as the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, the 1996 Olympic bombing in Atlanta and the series of bombings carried out over nearly two decades by Theodore Kaczynski, who lived in a remote cabin in Montana.

Theodore Kaczynski, known as the Unabomber, who pleaded guilty in 1998.
The stepped-up attention to the issue in recent months is part of a broader worry about rising threats and violence from political extremists. There are no concrete data showing recent trends. The FBI's hate-crime reports are more than a year behind. Still, the most recent data showed that from 2005 to 2007, the number of such incidents rose more than 6%.

In addition to the recent killings in Washington, D.C., and Kansas, recent lone-wolf cases include the killing of a soldier in Little Rock, Ark., last month, allegedly by a converted Muslim extremist, Abdulhakim Muhammad. Last August, a Florida man attending bail-bondsman training was arrested for making threats against then-Sen. Barack Obama and President George W. Bush. And in October, two men who identified themselves as skinheads were arrested in Tennessee where they were plotting to go on a nationwide killing spree targeting African-Americans.

The FBI memo also noted the scant academic study to date of violent individual extremists, and said the agency had recently stepped up efforts to analyze their actions. A study launched in partnership with Harvard University, the memo said, would seek to define characteristics and behavior that signal a potential lone-wolf offender.

Harvard spokesman who contacted various departments to ask about the study said he was unaware of it. The FBI said there was no date for completion.

The FBI memo also called on bureau offices around the country to assess whether the leaders of known extremist groups might be open to cooperating with law enforcement in identifying potential lone offenders. The FBU advised its offices not to initiate contact at this time.

Meantime, the bureau has been working with the U.S. military and with prison authorities to identify people who may raise concerns, hoping that "anyone who would be inclined to act out, we'd have a sporting chance to take any kind of preventative measures we can," Mr. Ward said.

One constraint facing authorities is the need to balance monitoring of potential violent extremists with the protection of a suspect's civil liberties. The memo noted that the study had been cleared by the FBI's "institutional review board, which reviews all FBI research involving human subjects in order to help protect the rights and welfare of those subjects."

"Their hands are tied a little bit," said Heidi Beirich, of the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate groups. "We have to protect freedom of speech. It's kind of complicated."
Write to Gary Fields at gary.fields@wsj.com and Evan Perez at evan.perez@wsj.com

From reading this, and reading what some of you post on these boards, the FBI is definitely keeping RPF's on their radar.

This is getting ridiculous

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 08:11 AM
John Hancock was said to have signed the Declaration of Independence with his signature writ large so that "fat old King George could read it without his glasses".

That is where I am at right now.

Of course we're under surveillance, what part of the country or segment of the population is not?

The actions taken by government will be based on what that surveillance reveals.

If they see a population reduced to squeamish mutterings, quietly submitting to every whim of the enforcers, ready to be subjugated, they will act on that and hell on earth will follow.

If, on the other hand, they see a population, or a least a significant segment of that population, ready, willing and able to resist at all costs, one that rejects everything the "system" has come to represent, then they will have no choice but to back off.

Or blindly push forward into "hot" war directly against the American people.

Either way, each one of us have only two choices: submit or resist.

Fuck them and their childish "lists".

pacelli
06-15-2009, 08:24 AM
"The FBI memo also called on bureau offices around the country to assess whether the leaders of known extremist groups might be open to cooperating with law enforcement in identifying potential lone offenders."

Which leader immediately comes to mind?

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 08:26 AM
"The FBI memo also called on bureau offices around the country to assess whether the leaders of known extremist groups might be open to cooperating with law enforcement in identifying potential lone offenders."

I'm drawing a blank...

Who'd you have in mind?

pacelli
06-15-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm drawing a blank...

Who'd you have in mind?

Hal Turner. He just got arrested, I'll bet he cuts a deal.

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 08:46 AM

Shit, that's right, slipped my mind.

I won't take that bet.:mad:

ghengis86
06-15-2009, 08:50 AM

why'd he get arrested?

Never mind:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2009/06/turner_has_court_date_with_con.html
http://primebuzz.kcstar.com/?q=node/18735

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 08:51 AM

From wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Turner

Allegations that Turner acts as an informant to the FBI surfaced after unidentified hackers claimed on Turner's website's forums that they had read email correspondence between him and an FBI agent, apparently his handler.[34] This led to a discussion on a neo-Nazi website on January 10, 2008, in which Turner revealed he was quitting political work, was ending his radio show and that he was separating "from the 'pro-White' movement".[34] Both the FBI and Turner declined to comment on the matter.[34] The Southern Poverty Law Center later reported that they had "revealed... that Turner was an FBI informant"[35] and the Anti-Defamation League reported that "a neo-Nazi Website had posted material reportedly found by the hackers, including alleged exchanges between himself and law enforcement agents that indicated that Turner had been providing information to them."[36]

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 08:52 AM
why'd he get arrested?

He's been making direct threats against politicos for years now.

The case in question was related to threats against CT "officials".

American Idol
06-15-2009, 08:58 AM

Something tells me that Hal Turner has been some sort of agent for years. Something just ain't right about that guy...

American Idol
06-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Fuck them and their childish "lists".

Anyone who is keeping lists should note that they themselves are most likely on someone's list, too.

tangent4ronpaul
06-15-2009, 09:31 AM
> The FBI memo also noted the scant academic study to date of violent individual extremists, and said the agency had recently stepped up efforts to analyze their actions. A study launched in partnership with Harvard University, the memo said, would seek to define characteristics and behavior that signal a potential lone-wolf offender.

> Meantime, the bureau has been working with the U.S. military and with prison authorities to identify people who may raise concerns, hoping that "anyone who would be inclined to act out, we'd have a sporting chance to take any kind of preventative measures we can," Mr. Ward said.

Why gosh - well don't be surprised if a lot of us get an all expense paid vacation at Gitmo II on charges of "thought crime" or just get taken out entirely. Gotta do something with Cheney's assassination squads after all. Our dear "leader" doesn't like to squander gvmt resources, after all... Remember - "it's for the children"

All hail Comrad Obama!
Obama is GOD!

:rolleyes:

-t

Agent CSL
06-15-2009, 10:38 AM
I would encourage anyone who posts on Infowars to stop doing so immediately. I'm not accusing him of anything, but if the FBI wants great information, that's one of the first places they're going to go to.

Unfortunately we have to realize sooner or later that we're all being monitored, and not to be afraid of such monitoring, but to fight it with defiance and legislation. While I have no intention of ever committing a violent act, I'm sure some of what I say could be strewn the wrong way. We knew it was coming and now it's on our doorsteps and in our alcoves.

tangent4ronpaul
06-15-2009, 10:58 AM
I would encourage anyone who posts on Infowars to stop doing so immediately. I'm not accusing him of anything, but if the FBI wants great information, that's one of the first places they're going to go to.

I always thought Infowars was the lunatic fringe. Lately, I've started to wonder if they had at least some of it right all along. I almost never visit there and never tune into broadcasts, but still...

Unfortunately we have to realize sooner or later that we're all being monitored, and not to be afraid of such monitoring, but to fight it with defiance and legislation. While I have no intention of ever committing a violent act, I'm sure some of what I say could be strewn the wrong way. We knew it was coming and now it's on our doorsteps and in our alcoves.

+1776!!!!

But defiance just lets them take us out one by one and we have had dismal luck getting legislation through to turn back any of the bad crap that is coming down like a heavy downpour of fecal matter...

The most effective thing I know of that has happened was a local candidate doing a robo-call that went: "We regret to inform you that your telephone and Internet communications are being monitored by the United States Government..." that resulted in HUNDREDS of VERY PISSED OFF sheeple calling the FBI!

We need to do more stuff like that!

-t

Dieseler
06-15-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't know a lot about Hal Turner but one thing I can say I have noticed about him is that he knows how to speak perfectly within the law and still send a harsh message. He is a master of this type of speaking.
Most of us aren't nearly that good at it.
This place is definitely being monitored with an extra exuberant emphasis.
Be careful what you say.
Or should I say, be careful how you say what you say as the ability of law enforcement to act on speech in itself alone is predicated by the manner in which words are written as of today anyway. Who knows what Patriot Act III might bring.
I think you all know what I mean.
Now I have said at times that this place is a nuthouse with several subgroups of nuts but I can honestly also say that I personally don't think that anyone who posts here is capable or would consider harming anyone period outside the scope of their own self preservation or that of their families.
Protect yourselves.
Bite your tongue at the keyboard when a post or an article has angered you. Express yourself but remember that when you do so, that what you say can and could very well be held against you in a secret courtroom before you are even picked up.

tangent4ronpaul
06-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Now I have said at times that this place is a nuthouse with several subgroups of nuts

COOL! - can I be a pistachio? - Pistachio's taste goooood! ;)

but I can honestly also say that I personally don't think that anyone who posts here is capable or would consider harming anyone period outside the scope of their own self preservation or that of their families.
Protect yourselves.

Agree 100%!!!! - I don't believe in initiating anything like that, but at the same time I pity any poor, misguided fools that try to pick me up for my "thought crimes" for the good of the "fatherland"... or rather I pity their families, because some of them won't be coming home.

-t

Dieseler
06-15-2009, 11:30 AM
COOL! - can I be a pistachio? - Pistachio's taste goooood! ;)

:D

moostraks
06-15-2009, 11:45 AM
What is infuriating is this is how they win. By intimidating us into not saying anything they don't even need legislation, just the threat of it. It is the same way they are able to keep people from being parents because of the threat of taking them away.All they have to do is make a few examples and people will crawl back in their holes and obey like good little proles.

Don't go to Infowars? Hell, this place is enough if you want to really understand what they put forth the other day regarding the rp movement. Bite your tongue is sage advice but it looks like the pre-crime unit doesn't even have to be instituted, just alluded to and we all go on alert. I am sick of living in fear, especially when I don't deserve to live in it!

Crash Martinez
06-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Screw it, people.

I WILL NEVER ACT AGGRESSIVELY against another's life, liberty, or property.

And I WILL NEVER RELINQUISH MY RIGHTS to the same.

Foremost in my belief are the rights to freedom of religion and freedom of speech.

To anyone who tells me to "be careful what I say," my reply is: screw that. They'll have to kill me to shut me up. The Lord God Almighty created my mouth, and He alone has the authority to silence it!!

moostraks
06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Amusingly enough...I think if they were looking for a way to spark this crowd it is by telling them to shut up.:D It is enough to make the stoutest pacifist contemplate reacting. Me thinks they are tightening the screws...

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Screw it, people.

Foremost in my belief are the rights to freedom of religion and freedom of speech.

To anyone who tells me to "be careful what I say," my reply is: screw that. They'll have to kill me to shut me up. The Lord God Almighty created my mouth, and He alone has the authority to silence it!!

+1776

There you go.

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

Crash Martinez
06-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Thank you!! I was getting a little pissed there... heh heh!

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Thank you!! I was getting a little pissed there... heh heh!

Welcome.;)

tangent4ronpaul
06-15-2009, 01:02 PM
What is infuriating is this is how they win. By intimidating us into not saying anything they don't even need legislation, just the threat of it. It is the same way they are able to keep people from being parents because of the threat of taking them away.All they have to do is make a few examples and people will crawl back in their holes and obey like good little proles.

Don't go to Infowars? Hell, this place is enough if you want to really understand what they put forth the other day regarding the rp movement. Bite your tongue is sage advice but it looks like the pre-crime unit doesn't even have to be instituted, just alluded to and we all go on alert. I am sick of living in fear, especially when I don't deserve to live in it!

I am typing in the text of a letter, sent to me by a woman on another board perhaps 4-5 years ago. I have this printed out and keep it taped on my refrigerator door. I forwarded a copy of it to Ron Paul at the time and got a personal reply from him.

Letter:

I think it's much simpler than all that. I think what's set off the general population is the ever-growing intrusiveness into our lives and the secretiveness of and blatant, unapologetic attitude of this administration that it's above the law. Those characteristics scream fascism to Americans.

We've had invasive laws many times before, but never laws that were so intrusive to everyone, regardless of suspicious activity, never so many coming in such a short time while our president scoffs at our concern and anger, and never set against such an absurd background as the illegal immigration problem. While the government watches us like a hawk, they let hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants into the country and openly defy the anger and concern of the American people. I can't tell you how many people I've heard comment that they feel like they're in Germany right before WWII. Middle-class Republican soccer moms are worrying aloud about the 'fascist' bent of of the government. Scarcely a day goes by that I don't hear people comment that we need a revolution in this country. These aren't just the usual activists and fringe elements. These are the everyday people we usually call sheeple. Americans are are angry because they believe the government has turned against us and that our only recourse is going to be something big and ugly and probably violent (and those are quotes too).

End letter.

What has changed?

We now have a very charismatic "leader" who the leftist media spin to be a great guy. He's NOT!

blame and unrest over our current condition is being dumper on Congress - most of whom will probably be re-elected, despite an all time low approval rating - but there is some hope here.

The current administration, promising openness, has returned the opposite. All the bad things we hated about the Bush administration have been retained, and extended. Extended in stealth. What has changed is the blatant nature of the violations - now they are hidden. That's "change you can believe in" <dripping sarcasm>.

We are seeing the take over of banks, the automotive industry, our food supply, sin taxes, ludicrous taxes over "global warming", bailouts and so on that accelerate economic collapse. We elected the enemy, and he's doing an outstanding job of destroying the country.

I predict a tax revolt - that won't matter, because it will lead to seized property by the state, and they will just print more money as a result, leading to massive inflation.

There will probably be "lone wolf" attacks resulting in 15 minutes of fame for isolated nut jobs, and a further surrender of civil rights.

States will continue to fight the interstate commerce clause and hopefully some will leave the union. It's going to take that type of thing by a number of states before people wake up and fix things.

Before, I didn't think there was any chance of civil war, I have revised that opinion. It just has to get bad enough. With our current course of actions, I see it as inevitable. It maybe possible to stop this at the previous level, but if we do, the complete house cleaning that is needed won't happen just a step back and business as usual.

We are certainly "living in interesting times". Wish we were not, but we are.

The sheep (or should I say sheeple) are looking up - but not enough of them yet.

-t

cc: Ron Paul

Dieseler
06-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Screw it, people.

I agree with everything you said and the way that you said it there except that you did not fully quote what I said.
Or the spirit in which it was said.
Peace.

Crash Martinez
06-15-2009, 01:22 PM
I agree with everything you said and the way that you said it there except that you did not fully quote what I said.
Or the spirit in which it was said.
Peace.

I know. I understand. Just trying to head off any surrenderist sentiment! ;)

Deborah K
06-15-2009, 01:23 PM

Alex Jones came to mind. He has complained in the past about being a target, or someday being muzzled or arrested, hasn't he?

mediahasyou
06-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Passive resistance is the key to winning liberty and staying alive. If it comes to all out war, we will all be dead in a heartbeat. This battle must be won without blood because if we are all dead, who will be there to lobby for H.R. 1207? Who will be there next election cycle going door to door spreading the message? Who will be there to tell your child about the concepts of liberty?

Liberty is dead when we are all dead. Keep that in mind before you do anything stupid.

Money bombs not real bombs please.

Crash Martinez
06-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Passive resistance is the key to winning liberty and staying alive. If it comes to all out war, we will all be dead in a heartbeat. This battle must be won without blood because if we are all dead, who will be there to lobby for H.R. 1207? Who will be there next election cycle going door to door spreading the message? Who will be there to tell your child about the concepts of liberty?

Liberty is dead when we are all dead. Keep that in mind before you do anything stupid.

"Give me liberty or give me another chance to lobby for H.R. 1207."

Deborah K
06-15-2009, 01:42 PM

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we start a violent revolution, but it would behoove all of us to be prepared to defend ourselves. Anything less is foolish.

moostraks
06-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I am typing in the text of a letter, sent to me by a woman on another board perhaps 4-5 years ago. I have this printed out and keep it taped on my refrigerator door. I forwarded a copy of it to Ron Paul at the time and got a personal reply from him.

What has changed?

We now have a very charismatic "leader" who the leftist media spin to be a great guy. He's NOT!

blame and unrest over our current condition is being dumper on Congress - most of whom will probably be re-elected, despite an all time low approval rating - but there is some hope here.

The current administration, promising openness, has returned the opposite. All the bad things we hated about the Bush administration have been retained, and extended. Extended in stealth. What has changed is the blatant nature of the violations - now they are hidden. That's "change you can believe in" <dripping sarcasm>.

We are seeing the take over of banks, the automotive industry, our food supply, sin taxes, ludicrous taxes over "global warming", bailouts and so on that accelerate economic collapse. We elected the enemy, and he's doing an outstanding job of destroying the country.

I predict a tax revolt - that won't matter, because it will lead to seized property by the state, and they will just print more money as a result, leading to massive inflation.

There will probably be "lone wolf" attacks resulting in 15 minutes of fame for isolated nut jobs, and a further surrender of civil rights.

States will continue to fight the interstate commerce clause and hopefully some will leave the union. It's going to take that type of thing by a number of states before people wake up and fix things.

Before, I didn't think there was any chance of civil war, I have revised that opinion. It just has to get bad enough. With our current course of actions, I see it as inevitable. It maybe possible to stop this at the previous level, but if we do, the complete house cleaning that is needed won't happen just a step back and business as usual.

We are certainly "living in interesting times". Wish we were not, but we are.

The sheep (or should I say sheeple) are looking up - but not enough of them yet.

-t

cc: Ron Paul

Couldn't agree with you more. After watching what happened during the election as I attempted to become a delegate in the neo-con beltway of Marietta, GA I have absolutely no faith in the system. The TARP program sealed the deal for me. Different stage, same players, and more lies told to a public kept as far from the truth as those in power can keep us.

I believe more and more that we should become a trojan horse movement and hoist these bastards on their own petard...Most of us here embrace a pacifist doctrine in large part, so violent revolution will be a matter of lone nutcases. Give them what they want and beg for more and let the masses wake up to the overwhelming dictatorship they are incrementally foisting upon us. I am a bit fed up with being considered a nuthatch for pointing out the slippery slope we are treading upon.:(

Pericles
06-15-2009, 01:57 PM
General:

Since my interview with you on the 18th instant I have felt that I ought not longer to retain my commission in the Army. I therefore tender my resignation, which I request you will recommend for acceptance.

It would have been presented at once, but for the struggle it has cost me to separate myself from a service to which I have devoted all the best years of my life & all the ability I possessed.

During the whole of that time, more than 30 years, I have experienced nothing but kindness from my superiors, & the most cordial friendship from my companions. To no one Genl have I been as much indebted as to yourself for uniform kindness & consideration, & it has always been my ardent desire to merit your approbation.

I shall carry with me to the grave the most grateful recollections of your kind consideration, & your name & fame will always be dear to me. Save in the defense of my native State, I never desire again to draw my sword.

Be pleased to accept my most earnest wishes for the continuance of your happiness & prosperity & believe me most truly yours

R. E. Lee

Should current trends continue, this sort of thing is going to occur again.

Anti Federalist
06-15-2009, 02:16 PM

Couldn't agree more, to a point.

I will defend myself against illegal aggression, regardless of claimed authority to engage in such aggression.

More importantly, I am engaging friends and neighbors to come to their defense in the face of illegal aggression and they, to mine.

Pericles
06-15-2009, 02:20 PM
No man thinks more highly than I do of the patriotism, as well as abilities, of the very worthy gentlemen who have just addressed the House. But different men often see the same subject in different lights; and, therefore, I hope it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen if, entertaining as I do opinions of a character very opposite to theirs, I shall speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve. This is no time for ceremony. The question before the House is one of awful moment to this country. For my own part, I consider it as nothing less than a question of freedom or slavery; and in proportion to the magnitude of the subject ought to be the freedom of the debate. It is only in this way that we can hope to arrive at truth, and fulfill the great responsibility which we hold to God and our country. Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings.

Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and, having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging of the future but by the past. And judging by the past, I wish to know what there has been in the conduct of the British ministry for the last ten years to justify those hopes with which gentlemen have been pleased to solace themselves and the House. Is it that insidious smile with which our petition has been lately received? Trust it not, sir; it will prove a snare to your feet. Suffer not yourselves to be betrayed with a kiss. Ask yourselves how this gracious reception of our petition comports with those warlike preparations which cover our waters and darken our land. Are fleets and armies necessary to a work of love and reconciliation? Have we shown ourselves so unwilling to be reconciled that force must be called in to win back our love? Let us not deceive ourselves, sir. These are the implements of war and subjugation; the last arguments to which kings resort. I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? Can gentlemen assign any other possible motive for it? Has Great Britain any enemy, in this quarter of the world, to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other. They are sent over to bind and rivet upon us those chains which the British ministry have been so long forging. And what have we to oppose to them? Shall we try argument? Sir, we have been trying that for the last ten years. Have we anything new to offer upon the subject? Nothing. We have held the subject up in every light of which it is capable; but it has been all in vain. Shall we resort to entreaty and humble supplication? What terms shall we find which have not been already exhausted? Let us not, I beseech you, sir, deceive ourselves. Sir, we have done everything that could be done to avert the storm which is now coming on. We have petitioned; we have remonstrated; we have supplicated; we have prostrated ourselves before the throne, and have implored its interposition to arrest the tyrannical hands of the ministry and Parliament. Our petitions have been slighted; our remonstrances have produced additional violence and insult; our supplications have been disregarded; and we have been spurned, with contempt, from the foot of the throne! In vain, after these things, may we indulge the fond hope of peace and reconciliation. There is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free-- if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending--if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained--we must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of hosts is all that is left us!

They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power. The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations, and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Besides, sir, we have no election. If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

Brooklyn Red Leg
06-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Should current trends continue, this sort of thing is going to occur again.

One can only hope that a modern-day Robert E. Lee emerges soon in the public eye. It would do much to highlight the alarming trends we're seeing.

AuH20
06-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Who's to say that individuals mislabeled as domestic terrorists haven't already been apprehended by the government? They control the media. They control the "information." How would you even know if your neighbor disappeared? Worst case scenario in the event s778/s773 gets passed the executive powers can shut down the internet medium as well. They hold all the cards ATM if you want to continue to "play" in "their casino."