PDA

View Full Version : Congress pushing for bill to reduce the volume of tv advertising

almantimes2
06-12-2009, 02:25 PM
http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_12566562

Billy mays should start a grassroots movement to stop this.

ladyjade3
06-12-2009, 02:44 PM
oh jeebus.

cheapseats
06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
It does not require MORE LEGISLATION, MORE LAW, MORE REGULATION, MORE EXPENSE, MORE COMMITTEE MEETINGS, MORE JACKING OFF, AND MORE PENALIZING to persuade Mainstream Advertising to introduce more guts into their glory.

It requires that American Consumers boycott the products that are being crammed down their Pavlovian throats.

VIVAAA VIVAAA VI-A-GRAAAAAAA!

"Is violence from the War On Drugs spilling over into the border town nearest you . . . news at eleven."

almantimes2
06-12-2009, 02:57 PM
It does not require MORE LEGISLATION, MORE LAW, MORE REGULATION, MORE EXPENSE, MORE COMMITTEE MEETINGS, MORE JACKING OFF, AND MORE PENALIZING to persuade Mainstream Advertising to introduce more guts into their glory.

It requires that American Consumers boycott the products that are being crammed down their Pavlovian throats.

Actually I don't think anyone really minds that much in the first place.
All you have to do is mute the tv.

Sandman33
06-12-2009, 02:58 PM

I agree, I for one cant stand it when Im watching my tv at a comfortable volume only to have some annoying commercial jump in at 3 times the volume just screaming at me:

"SLAP CHOP SLAP CHOP! YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS!!"

cheapseats
06-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Actually I don't anyone really minds that much in the first place.

You CANNOT be serious.

It's like Visual Tourette's.

These are NOT Conspicuous Consumption days, they really aren't.

almantimes2
06-12-2009, 03:01 PM
You CANNOT be serious.

It's like Visual Tourette's.

These are NOT Conspicuous Consumption days, they really aren't.

lol
I meant I don't think they mind since they can simply mute the tv.
Or if you have dvr skip the commericals if it's not live.

Bman
06-12-2009, 03:06 PM
This would be a stupid bill. Real stupid. There are many ways to solve such a problem that have nothing to do with Government.

Digital sound has a max output of 0. It has a natural cap.

John of Des Moines
06-12-2009, 03:13 PM
What?? I can't hear you... Let me turn down the tv.

Cowlesy
06-12-2009, 03:19 PM
*sigh*

They just cannot leave us alone, can they?

IPSecure
06-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Media Center with DVRMSToolbox! (deletes commercials)

angelatc
06-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I agree, I for one cant stand it when Im watching my tv at a comfortable volume only to have some annoying commercial jump in at 3 times the volume just screaming at me:

"SLAP CHOP SLAP CHOP! YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS!!"

Buy a better TV. My TV compensates for that.

angelatc
06-12-2009, 03:59 PM
*sigh*

They just cannot leave us alone, can they?

If they cut out all the government-sponsored ads, we'd see a significant reduction.

Those have been grating on my nerves lately. I swear that Obama is funneling cash to Hollywood through lucrative advertising partnership deals.

We're Patsys!

heavenlyboy34
06-12-2009, 04:12 PM
lol...I can't wait! Pretty soon, all the content providers will be able to afford is State sponsored programming (imagine every channel having the "quality" of public broadcasting). Then Americans may actually get pissed and do something! :)

Golding
06-12-2009, 04:18 PM
TV is nearly a lost cause. What little TV I watch nowadays is viewed online. No commercials.

pdavis
06-12-2009, 04:18 PM
It begs the question, are commercials too loud or are television shows too low?

revolutionisnow
06-12-2009, 04:36 PM
How about a bill to make the FCC do their job and get the filth off tv

VIDEODROME
06-12-2009, 05:34 PM
When advertising gets restricted those time slots will just have more Public Service Announcements.

FunkBuddha
06-12-2009, 05:50 PM
My wife and I just cut the cable off and this was one of the reasons we did. I couldn't stand the fact that I was paying $80 a month to have 1/3 of my time watching TV spent having to deal with turning the volume up and down due to the commercials.

I got an HD antenna and a HDHomerun. I cut the commercials out of anything I intend to watch using VideoRedo Plus.

idiom
06-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Its actually technically very difficult to do this.

In Australia Foxtel went ahead and put each channel at the same volume level to head off legislation. However a Box that can do this reasonably well costs $200,000 per channel.

Flash
06-12-2009, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't want it to be a bill but it is pretty annoying when the volume for a movie is very low and for some reason the commercials are blaring.

Rael
06-12-2009, 07:39 PM
You stupid motherfuckers!

Our country is falling apart and your spending your time on THIS SHIT?

These idiots should be arrested.

jrkotrla
06-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Funny thing, TV stations are already required to have the same audio RMS as the programming volume. They simply use a smaller frequency so that the energy (volume we hear) is more compressed, therefore has a higher peak. Still the same overall amplitude.

So... how is this going to be measured (because the way it's regulated now is the easiest way to "measure" it quantifiably). Will there be an official TV listener?

how much will this regulation cost?

It's like, Congress, having solved the economic crisis, balanced the budget, secured entitlement programs in perpetuity, and having abolished taxes, cancer, and QVC, turns to the last problem area left on earth for them to attack: the volume of TV commercials.

<edit> You know, that's actually a very poor attitude for me to take. Those idiots should be allowed, NAY I meant to say REQUIRED to spend 100% of their time for the next 19 years analyzing the problem of TV commercial volume. Anything that keeps them from touching things that actually matter should be encouraged</edit>

Dr.3D
06-12-2009, 07:56 PM
They just keep making more and more laws. Seems like sooner or later, they should start removing some.

Oh... yeah.... I forgot.... they think they are law makers. Duh.

For once, I wish they would let the public vote instead of having Congress vote on these bills.

Liberty Star
06-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Research shows that excessive TV commericals are partly responsible for recent rise in TIIS (TV Induced Irritiation Syndrome) among a many Americans.

When I see legislation like this, I have sudden urge to become a tyrant LOL And I don't even watch much TV now.

tangent4ronpaul
06-13-2009, 12:25 PM

Get rid of the commercial or the mind numbing shows?

-t

cheapseats
06-13-2009, 12:40 PM
l

CONGRESS ATTACKS LONG-TIME CONSUMER BUGABOOS
WITH FRESH EYES AND MORE FRESHLY PRINTED MONEY

First up: uniform label glue. On deck: flattering shorts for fat people.

l

Mrs.Joe
06-13-2009, 12:44 PM
What a waste of taxpayer dollars....really makes you wonder what they have tacked onto this bill to get it passed.

idiom
06-13-2009, 07:57 PM
I feel sorry for the expert trying to explain psychoacoustics to Congress. Poor bastard.

Pepsi
06-14-2009, 03:13 AM
commercials are good for bathroom breaks when your watching some thing on tv.

jsu718
06-14-2009, 03:23 AM

Hell is filled.... with people like you.

You know what people like you cause to happen? This.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7963/bearsolocrop.jpg
HOW DARE YOU SIR!
The masturbating bear does not belong in carbonite. He deserves to be free and on the air at 11:30PM.

Liberty Star
06-14-2009, 11:46 AM
commercials are good for bathroom breaks when your watching some thing on tv.

But how much fluids one has to be consuming to need a break every 6 minutes lol