PDA

View Full Version : NYTimes includes "That guy is a *****" line in article about Bruno

Knightskye
06-12-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/14/movies/14barn.html?_r=1&ref=movies

Universal won’t discuss the filmmaking process, but the studio insists that the vast majority of the people who appear with Mr. Baron Cohen had no idea they were being filmed for a Hollywood movie. Ads for “Brüno” trumpet, “real people, real situations.”

That was at least true of Representative Ron Paul of Texas, the former Republican presidential candidate. In a scene filmed in early 2008, Mr. Paul sits for an interview with the Baron Cohen character. (Mr. Paul has said he was told the topic would be Austrian economics.) When lighting trouble delays the interview, Mr. Baron Cohen strips to his underwear. Mr. Paul storms out. muttering, “This guy is a *****.”

In a subsequent radio interview Mr. Paul said: “I don’t like the idea that he lies his way into an interview. To me it’s a real shame that people are going to reward him with millions and millions of dollars for being so crass.”

I thought it was settled that Paul didn't say "*****" at all.

acptulsa
06-12-2009, 01:07 PM
He did say the word '*****'. He said the guy was '***** as blazes'. When they pervert it into 'a *****', they distort the truth and eliminate his plausible deniability about what he was saying--and most certainly fail to report what he actually said.

Perry
06-12-2009, 01:07 PM
People need to get the word out that Pauls campaign manager was openly gay.
It sucks playing the "some of my best friends are black" card but truth must be brought forth in order to break through the lies.

acptulsa
06-12-2009, 01:10 PM
…the spun and skewed picture you wish to paint?

Ron Paul did not call Sasha Baren Cohen a *****. He said the guy was ‘***** as blazes’. If you don’t understand the difference, you’ve laid off too many of your experienced hands.

I respectfully request a retraction.

By email moments ago.

jkr
06-12-2009, 01:28 PM
and awaAaAy weee goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

jkr
06-12-2009, 01:29 PM
He did say the word '*****'. He said the guy was '***** as blazes'. When they pervert it into 'a *****', they distort the truth and eliminate his plausible deniability about what he was saying--and most certainly fail to report what he actually said.

exactly

?u mean Sach idn't *****? meaning strange ( i have seen his act)

MikeStanart
06-12-2009, 01:30 PM
This is libel, we need to call this guy out on it.

He clearly misquotes the doctor in direct quotes, without paraphrasing.

If you watch the video, you can clearly see the good doctor saying cohen is "***** as blazes".

I sent an e-mail threatening legal action on the basis of libel. So should you.

gls
06-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Somehow I doubt this was an honest mistake...

MRoCkEd
06-12-2009, 01:33 PM
This is libel, we need to call this guy out on it.

He clearly misquotes the doctor in direct quotes, without paraphrasing.

If you watch the video, you can clearly see the good doctor saying cohen is "***** as blazes".

I sent an e-mail threatening legal action on the basis of libel. So should you.
Have you seen the movie? The accounts have only been second-hand. One source claims he says "this guy's a *****!" five times while another insists he only says "this guy is ***** as blazes." We'll have to wait until the actual movie comes out to know for sure. The trailer only has him saying, "This [interview] is ended!".

Pennsylvania
06-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Though I have not seen the clip, I don't see a great distinction between "a *****" and "***** as blazes". Would Cohen's stunt have been any less obnoxious if he were not (acting) gay? What is the difference between a gay man pulling a stunt and a straight man pulling the same stunt?

acptulsa
06-12-2009, 01:41 PM
What is the difference between a gay man pulling a stunt and a straight man pulling the same stunt?

The straight man would very likely land in prison. Cohen didn't.

torchbearer
06-12-2009, 01:43 PM
The straight man would very likely land in prison. Cohen didn't.

If a man did that to a woman- he'd be in jail for sure.
Depending on how close he got and if we was aggressive in his movements, they may claim sexual battery.

specsaregood
06-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Though I have not seen the clip, I don't see a great distinction between "a *****" and "***** as blazes".

The difference is the first example is a noun and the second usage is as an adjective. I think....its been a long time since english class....

acptulsa
06-12-2009, 01:45 PM
The difference is the first example is a noun and the second usage is as an adjective. I think....its been a long time since english class....

A+

And if you check the dictionary you'll find that the adjective has several meanings and the noun has only one.

Pennsylvania
06-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I understand that there is a grammatical difference. I do doubt, however, that if Ron Paul did make such a comment, that he was simply "stating the facts" as to Cohen's orientation. ;)

TonySutton
06-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Personally I do not care if he used the word *****.

acptulsa
06-12-2009, 01:54 PM
And to be honest, most people would and probably do understand. I still can't help but notice, however, that once again every controversial thing our good doctor does comes up somewhere. Is he the only person who reacted that way when sexually assaulted by Cohen? Or did he 'just happen' to be the one the Times decided to use as an example?

They're doing their level best to turn every ethnic group and every other group except hetero WASP males against our cause. It is systemic and systematic, blatantly obvious, and wrong.

Annihilia
06-12-2009, 02:15 PM
I guess calling someone ***** is more offensive than parading around as an overblown caricature of gays for a laugh. Maybe SBC can do a blackface character since people are too familiar with his current cast to pull off another movie.

Dr.3D
06-12-2009, 02:18 PM
***** is often used as alternative to the word strange or odd.

Someone who had never seen an ostrich may say it was a rather ***** bird.

Annihilia
06-12-2009, 02:21 PM
***** is often used as alternative to the word strange or odd.

Someone who had never seen an ostrich may say it was a rather ***** bird.

Yes, and gay is happy and **** are cigarettes, but that isn't going to help us any.

Dr.3D
06-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Yes, and gay is happy and **** are cigarettes, but that isn't going to help us any.

Who's fault is it somebody adopted proper English words to be used in a different way?

When I was a kid, there was a cartoon show on TV called The Flintstones. At the end of the show they would always sing a song and at the end of the song they would sing "we'll have a gay old time." That really wasn't so long ago. I did notice later they had to change the song so that word wasn't in it anymore.

It is sad people have to change the meaning of words just because they don't like the word being used at the time.

dannno
06-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Thanks for clearing this up in the first reply.

dannno
06-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Who's fault is it somebody adopted proper English words to be used in a different way?

When I was a kid, there was a cartoon show on TV called The Flintstones. At the end of the show they would always sing a song and at the end of the song they would sing "we'll have a gay old time." That really wasn't so long ago. I did notice later they had to change the song so that word wasn't in it anymore.

It is sad people have to change the meaning of words just because they don't like the word being used at the time.

My mom always gets pissed cause they took the rainbow. Now if you have a rainbow everybody thinks you're gay.

ladyjade3
06-12-2009, 02:42 PM

+1

He Who Pawns
06-12-2009, 02:58 PM
This is exactly why I have been saying that the best thing Dr Paul can do is to simply laugh the whole thing off -- that's the best way to deal with these gotcha interviews.

mavtek
06-12-2009, 05:28 PM
+1

*****! *****! *****!

If you don't like it, don't be *****! Or something like that. Seriously though, is ***** bad? I know gay people who call themselves and others ***** all the time.

Kevin_Kennedy
06-12-2009, 05:38 PM
All I've heard him say is "This is ended." I've not heard "*****," in any sense of the word, in any video or trailers so far.

ItsTime
06-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Ron Paul was better tempered than I would have been if someone was trying SEXUALLY ASSAULT ME. I would have kicked bruno in the balls until he threw up blood.

freejack
06-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Just sent the author of this article a message correcting the mistake and explaining the context of Ron Paul's exclamation given his age and the era in which he grew up. Hopefully they have enough common sense to realize the error of their ways.

TonySutton
06-12-2009, 07:12 PM
*****! *****! *****!

If you don't like it, don't be *****! Or something like that. Seriously though, is ***** bad? I know gay people who call themselves and others ***** all the time.

Exactly, I am *****, I use the word on occasion and believe it is hypocritical to think I own the word. (unlike some other people and their special word) It doesn't bother me when people use the word. It is the CONTEXT in which it is used. The hateful feelings behind the word are what is bad, not the word.

RP did not use the word in a hateful way. He was shocked at some outrageous behavior. No big deal.

The only people that will try to make a big deal out of this are ones who have an agenda. They will say bad things about RP regardless of this incident. I think it is good to see who our enemies are. Let them talk it up and remember every name. :)

mediahasyou
06-12-2009, 07:22 PM

+ 1

RP is just exercising his 1st amendment right.

max
06-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Ron Paul was better tempered than I would have been if someone was trying SEXUALLY ASSAULT ME. I would have kicked bruno in the balls until he threw up blood.

LOL...

You know...if Ron Paul had bitch slapped him, he would have become an instant legend....10 times bigger than he is now....

as it stands, i think the use of the word "*****" will help him in the eyes of most normal people who are fed up with thee **** and dykes shoving their perversions down our throat

satchelmcqueen
06-12-2009, 09:30 PM
told ya this would happen. paul gets blamed even though he was the victim. woulda been funny if paul punched him in the throat. what then? would it have been a hate crime? paul wont win this media game. and cohen will get away with it,.

sort of like the robber who sued his victim for getting hurt while robbing the home and tripping over a table and breaking his leg. ...he won!!!

Bruno
06-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Cohen was actiing ***** as blazes. Paul's assessment was spot on.

TonySutton
06-13-2009, 06:07 AM
LOL...

will help him in the eyes of most normal people who are fed up with thee **** and dykes shoving their perversions down our throat

there are "**** and dykes"<sic> on these forums who support Ron Paul so bigots beware!

SLSteven
06-13-2009, 07:58 AM
***** –adjective

1. strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular: a ***** notion of justice.

2. of a questionable nature or character; suspicious; shady: Something ***** about the language of the prospectus kept investors away.

3. not feeling physically right or well; giddy, faint, or qualmish: to feel *****.

4. mentally unbalanced or deranged.

5. Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.
a. homosexual.
b. effeminate; unmanly.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/*****

glts
06-13-2009, 09:52 AM
A rose is a rose and a ***** by any other name is still a *****. Who gives a crap. In a few years it will be politically incorrect to call someone gay. I guess I have lived too long and it gets hard keeping up with what someone wants themselves called.

Brian4Liberty
06-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Anyone ever wonder about Sasha's (Borat, Bruno) agenda? First he goes after Barr, then Ron Paul. He seems to have a hard-on for libertarian minded people...

satchelmcqueen
06-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Anyone ever wonder about Sasha's (Borat, Bruno) agenda? First he goes after Barr, then Ron Paul. He seems to have a hard-on for libertarian minded people...

his agenda seems to be wanting to be punched in the face by me. sure he might kick my ass since im only 5' 4:. but so what. ill swing at him.:D

AggieforPaul
06-13-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm sick of liberal activism in Hollywood satire I refuse to watch this movie.

Pepsi
06-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Seems like they are giveing Cherry and Gay cannon folder to attack Dr. No with.

SimpleName
06-23-2009, 08:08 PM
This is ehh..terrible. I just came upon the commercial today and did a search. I must've been lost for the time being and missed it. This is definitely not cool at all. Bit worried about the incident. Does anybody see some damage this will cause Ron in the future?

Knightskye
06-23-2009, 08:45 PM

"That Paul guy spends all his time in fake interviews. He's not with YOU the taxpayer!!!1111"

Really, I don't think it'll work too well.

speciallyblend
06-23-2009, 10:08 PM
well unless someone put words in ron pauls mouth. he said it and must live with it! cest la vie ,if i remember correctly bruno dropped his pants? and on that note i would call him ***** or ***** as britches, or whatever folks want to say he said! so f'in what , sounds like bruno's problem not Ron Pauls

if bruno doesn't want to be called a *****. then stop dropping your pants in front of guys(in hotel rooms/meeting rooms?) etc etc! i refuse to watch the video! so i am going on this thread discussion!

speciallyblend
06-23-2009, 10:56 PM
LOL...

You know...if Ron Paul had bitch slapped him, he would have become an instant legend....10 times bigger than he is now....

as it stands, i think the use of the word "*****" will help him in the eyes of most normal people who are fed up with thee **** and dykes shoving their perversions down our throat

well i think the word ***** is ok ,as for your other words?? wtf is your problem. you let me know when someone has forced you to be homosexual or bi or a lesbian?

everyday this ron paul revolution looks worse!

hypocrites is what the ron paul revolution has a few of! not all but everyday the same people screaming for Liberty seem to want it for them and no one else.

side note ,no one is forcing anyone to be gay,straight,bi or whatever.

seems some want Liberty for them and nobody else. i do not buy the argument,no one is shoving perversions down anyones throat. you let me know when someone has shoved anything down your throat literally ok;)

speciallyblend
06-23-2009, 10:58 PM
This is ehh..terrible. I just came upon the commercial today and did a search. I must've been lost for the time being and missed it. This is definitely not cool at all. Bit worried about the incident. Does anybody see some damage this will cause Ron in the future?

people on ron paul forums will do more damage then Ron Paul using the word *****! not one of my gay friends finds that word offensive, but i could name a few others that folks have said in this thread that are!

libertarian4321
06-24-2009, 11:45 AM
When I was a kid, there was a cartoon show on TV called The Flintstones. At the end of the show they would always sing a song and at the end of the song they would sing "we'll have a gay old time."

I always thought Barney had a thing for Fred.

acptulsa
06-24-2009, 11:50 AM
I always thought Barney had a thing for Fred.

I can't tell Barney Frank from Fred. Except, of course, that Flintstone has (imho only) better taste in lovers...

pacelli
06-24-2009, 11:52 AM

Wasn't Gay on these forums as a Ron Paul supporter? Or is that a different Gay?

libertarian4321
06-24-2009, 12:11 PM

I'm not sure bigotry is the norm these days.

BTW, if some gay guy shoved anything down your throat, that's on you. Perhaps you shouldn't have put yourself in a position to accept whatever object he shoved down your throat.

Deborah K
06-24-2009, 12:30 PM
'***** Eye for the Straight Guy' .......'***** as Folk'.........uh....the gay people in my family don't have a problem being called *****s. IRL, most gays aren't bothered by the term. As with anything, context is what matters. Dr. Paul said nothing wrong.

Enough already.

James Madison
06-24-2009, 03:39 PM

Alan Keyes was also featured in Borat so it seems to be anyone who isn't a complete leftist, not that I agree with Keyes on almost any of his policies, but still. Personally, I'm getting tired of these crappy comedies that aren't even funny. What ever happened to movies like "Animal House", "This is Spinaltap", "Blazing Saddles", etc?

Magicman
06-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Alan Keyes was also featured in Borat so it seems to be anyone who isn't a complete leftist, not that I agree with Keyes on almost any of his policies, but still. Personally, I'm getting tired of these crappy comedies that aren't even funny. What ever happened to movies like "Animal House", "This is Spinaltap", "Blazing Saddles", etc?

I just finished watching Porkies and Revenge of the Nerds does that count?

Mani
06-24-2009, 03:55 PM

Maybe guys like Keyes, Dr. Paul and Bob Barr are a minority voice and more open minded, so they are more apt to being available to these "foreign visitors". I speculate that makes them an easier target...

James Madison
06-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I just finished watching Porkies and Revenge of the Nerds does that count?

Sure. ;)

James Madison
06-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Maybe guys like Keyes, Dr. Paul and Bob Barr are a minority voice and more open minded, so they are more apt to being available to these "foreign visitors". I speculate that makes them an easier target...

Could be. They also don't have the personal bodyguards that a lot of high profile politicians do. Could you imagine him trying to pull a stunt like that on the president? Secret Service would be on him in about half a second.

Join The Paul Side
06-25-2009, 12:47 PM
I thought to gays the word ***** was no longer derrogatory, but a compliment. Like that TV show Queen Eye For The Straight Guy is titled. :rolleyes:

GBurr
06-25-2009, 06:51 PM
What is awful is that people are playing this up to be a movie that exposes homophobia.

First off I would like to say a phobia is an irrational fear so homophobia is a stupid word.

This movie does anything but expose homophobia. The people in this movie were ambushed with unwanted sexual advances. It doesn't matter if the
character is gay or not. If the character were a man making advances on women instead of men the media would be bashing Bruno for being rude, obnoxious, and full of sexual harrassment, but since the protagonist is a gay man making advances on straight men the media portrays the straight men as evil homophobes.

Unwanted sexual advances are wrong. Sexual orientation doesn't matter.

torchbearer
06-25-2009, 06:56 PM
What is awful is that people are playing this up to be a movie that exposes homophobia.

First off I would like to say a phobia is an irrational fear so homophobia is a stupid word.

This movie does anything but expose homophobia. The people in this movie were ambushed with unwanted sexual advances. It doesn't matter if the
character is gay or not. If the character were a man making advances on women instead of men the media would be bashing Bruno for being rude, obnoxious, and full of sexual harrassment, but since the protagonist is a gay man making advances on straight men the media portrays the straight men as evil homophobes.

Unwanted sexual advances are wrong. Sexual orientation doesn't matter.

this.

ladyjade3
06-25-2009, 07:33 PM
yes, and sneaking into tents at night while naked, making advances and being aggressive will really not do any favors for the gay community in the area of acceptance. We just have to remember this is a straight man lampooning gay stereotypes, and wonder what his real agenda is. I think its to cash in on cartoonishly negative stereotypes of gay men. GLAAD should be about as thrilled about this movie as they were with Perez a minute ago, spitting out slurrs and getting into bar fights. This is basically the same thing with a $42 million budget.

I get the impression from the original working title (something about making heterosexual men visibly uncomfortable in the presence of a gay man in a mesh t-shirt) that Cohen was not finding the level of intolerance he required to make a sufficiently profitable spectacle of himself and had to signifigantly up his game and resort to... well we'll see when it comes out.

I'm a huge fan of the gay community, personally. I'm not happy that someone's idea of entertainment is to treat them this way.