PDA

View Full Version : CFR Proudly presents the end of the National Currency

TheEvilDetector
09-22-2007, 12:47 PM
From: http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20070501faessay86308-p0/benn-steil/the-end-of-national-currency.html

1st page..

"THE RISE OF MONETARY NATIONALISM

Capital flows have become globalization's Achilles' heel. Over the past 25 years, devastating currency crises have hit countries across Latin America and Asia, as well as countries just beyond the borders of western Europe -- most notably Russia and Turkey. Even such an impeccably credentialed pro-globalization economist as U.S. Federal Reserve Governor Frederic Mishkin has acknowledged that "opening up the financial system to foreign capital flows has led to some disastrous financial crises causing great pain, suffering, and even violence."

The economics profession has failed to offer anything resembling a coherent and compelling response to currency crises. International Monetary Fund (IMF) analysts have, over the past two decades, endorsed a wide variety of national exchange-rate and monetary policy regimes that have subsequently collapsed in failure. They have fingered numerous culprits, from loose fiscal policy and poor bank regulation to bad industrial policy and official corruption. The financial-crisis literature has yielded policy recommendations so exquisitely hedged and widely contradicted as to be practically useless.

Antiglobalization economists have turned the problem on its head by absolving governments (except the one in Washington) and instead blaming crises on markets and their institutional supporters, such as the IMF -- "dictatorships of international finance," in the words of the Nobel laureate Joseph Stiglitz. "Countries are effectively told that if they don't follow certain conditions, the capital markets or the IMF will refuse to lend them money," writes Stiglitz. "They are basically forced to give up part of their sovereignty."

Is this right? Are markets failing, and will restoring lost sovereignty to governments put an end to financial instability? This is a dangerous misdiagnosis. In fact, capital flows became destabilizing only after countries began asserting "sovereignty" over money -- detaching it from gold or anything else considered real wealth. Moreover, even if the march of globalization is not inevitable, the world economy and the international financial system have evolved in such a way that there is no longer a viable model for economic development outside of them.

The right course is not to return to a mythical past of monetary sovereignty, with governments controlling local interest and exchange rates in blissful ignorance of the rest of the world. Governments must let go of the fatal notion that nationhood requires them to make and control the money used in their territory. National currencies and global markets simply do not mix; together they make a deadly brew of currency crises and geopolitical tension and create ready pretexts for damaging protectionism. In order to globalize safely, countries should abandon monetary nationalism and abolish unwanted currencies, the source of much of today's instability.

THE GOLDEN AGE

Capital flows were enormous, even by contemporary standards, during the last great period of "globalization," from the late nineteenth century to the outbreak of World War I. Currency crises occurred during this period, but they were generally shallow and short-lived. That is because money was then -- as it has been throughout most of the world and most of human history -- gold, or at least a credible claim on gold. Funds flowed quickly back to crisis countries because of confidence that the gold link would be restored. At the time, monetary nationalism was considered a sign of backwardness, adherence to a universally acknowledged standard of value a mark of civilization. Those nations that adhered most reliably (such as Australia, Canada, and the United States) were rewarded with the lowest international borrowing rates. Those that adhered the least (such as Argentina, Brazil, and Chile) were punished with the highest.

This bond was fatally severed during the period between World War I and World War II. Most economists in the 1930s and 1940s considered it obvious that capital flows would become destabilizing with the end of reliably fixed exchange rates. Friedrich Hayek noted in a 1937 lecture that under a credible gold-standard regime, "short-term capital movements will on the whole tend to relieve the strain set up by the original cause of a temporarily adverse balance of payments. If exchanges, however, are variable, the capital movements will tend to work in the same direction as the original cause and thereby to intensify it" -- as they do today.

The belief that globalization required hard money, something foreigners would willingly hold, was widespread. The French economist Charles Rist observed that "while the theorizers are trying to persuade the public and the various governments that a minimum quantity of gold ... would suffice to maintain monetary confidence, and that anyhow paper currency, even fiat currency, would amply meet all needs, the public in all countries is busily hoarding all the national currencies which are supposed to be convertible into gold." This view was hardly limited to free marketeers. As notable a critic of the gold standard and global capitalism as Karl Polanyi took it as obvious that monetary nationalism was incompatible with globalization. Focusing on the United Kingdom's interest in growing world trade in the nineteenth century, he argued that "nothing else but commodity money could serve this end for the obvious reason that token money, whether bank or fiat, cannot circulate on foreign soil." Yet what Polanyi considered nonsensical -- global trade in goods, services, and capital intermediated by intrinsically worthless national paper (or "fiat") monies -- is exactly how globalization is advancing, ever so fitfully, today."

5 more pages are to be found, if you follow the link..

RonFan1776
09-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Besides the fact that many of the greatest economists of our time have said that we would be just fine without government intervention into money AT ALL.

We don't need them to print it, regulate it, or any other such nonsense. LEAVE US THE HELL ALONE!

Syren123
09-22-2007, 01:24 PM
This is the most frightening propaganda ever.

The fact is that the globalist banking organizations (World Bank, IMF) in cahoots with the Fed and other western central banks have FACILITATED the crises in Africa, Asia and South America. This just makes my blood BOIL.

nexalacer
09-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Eh, I didn't read the whole article, but I agree. Nationalization of currency is stupid. We should use weights of golds, as that was all the names of currencies meant in the first place. Once you give them some nationalized names such as "pound" or "dollar", we lose the meaning of the weight and the state ends up creating the ridiculous gold standards of the 19th and 20th centuries.

I am sure the CFR has some nefarious reason for this, but honestly, if it was an un-nationalized hard-money currency there could be no real control. The problem of course, comes from an un-nationalized fiat currency. Then it's just ripe for central bank/world government manipulation.

RonFan1776
09-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Sorry, I refuse to take an argument seriously that includes what could perhaps be called the dumbest statement ever:

It is like choosing a Hyundai with manual transmission over a Lexus with automatic: the former gives the driver more control but at the cost of inferior performance under any condition.

RonFan1776
09-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Eh, I didn't read the whole article, but I agree. Nationalization of currency is stupid. We should use weights of golds, as that was all the names of currencies meant in the first place. Once you give them some nationalized names such as "pound" or "dollar", we lose the meaning of the weight and the state ends up creating the ridiculous gold standards of the 19th and 20th centuries.

I am sure the CFR has some nefarious reason for this, but honestly, if it was an un-nationalized hard-money currency there could be no real control. The problem of course, comes from an un-nationalized fiat currency. Then it's just ripe for central bank/world government manipulation.

Read through the article. They propose that everyone drop their monies and begin using the dollar or euro exclusively. Fiat fiat fiat is their chant. World fiat at that.

Daveforliberty
09-22-2007, 01:35 PM
James Madison: "History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling the money and its issuance."

Hmmm... who to believe? The CFR or James Madison?

nexalacer
09-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Read through the article. They propose that everyone drop their monies and begin using the dollar or euro exclusively. Fiat fiat fiat is their chant. World fiat at that.

Yeah, I figured so... I'm not gonna read 6 pages of that drivel, but I still say gold and silver currency that is called what it is, an ounce or a gram, is the best, least manipulable currency possible. I think that's what the founders intended, but they didn't realize that using the name "dollar" for a weight could lead to more government control.

Syren123
09-22-2007, 01:41 PM

Exactly. World fiat run by the same central bank owners who have owned banks since the origin of banks: Rothschilds, Lehmans, and the other banking families. With the addition, of course, of the Rockefellers.

BW4Paul
09-22-2007, 02:09 PM
I thought this this was the most interesting part:

Is this right? Are markets failing, and will restoring lost sovereignty to governments put an end to financial instability? This is a dangerous misdiagnosis. In fact, capital flows became destabilizing only after countries began asserting "sovereignty" over money -- detaching it from gold or anything else considered real wealth.

Amazing. The author actually admits here that currency only becomes destabilized after abolition of the gold standard! Happily, he has the solution to that destabilization: Super-Government. :eek:

Mesogen
09-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Yes, we must abandon unwanted currencies and institute a global gold standard in a free market (free from all central banks.)

Thank god the CFR is finally coming around.

Zydeco
09-22-2007, 03:26 PM
The crisis point approaches. Both sides begin to reveal their cards.

jonahtrainer
09-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Yes, we must abandon unwanted currencies and institute a global gold standard in a free market (free from all central banks.)

Thank god the CFR is finally coming around.

I don't think the author is aware that the technology already exists and is implemented (GoldMoney.com (http://www.goldmoney.com) - the perfect portal from our current fiat monetary system to a 100% reserve backed gold currency). I highly recommend everyone read the visionary article Gold and the Information Age (http://zealllc.com/2002/digigold.htm).

He says on page 5 (http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20070501faessay86308-p40/benn-steil/the-end-of-national-currency.html):
It must be stressed that a well-managed fiat money system has considerable advantages over a commodity-based one, not least of which that it does not waste valuable resources. There is little to commend in digging up gold in South Africa just to bury it again in Fort Knox. ... Modern technology makes a revival of gold money, through private gold banks, possible even without government support.

His assertion is stupid. I say let the free market determine what form of money is more efficient and has more advantages. In my opinion, and I will put my money where my mouth is, there is no need to use a 'Fort Knox' (governmental institution). His underlying premise, that government must be involved in defining money, is faulty. Money is defined by the market; it always has been and it always will be.

Of course, he admits such later on page 6 (http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20070501faessay86308-p50/benn-steil/the-end-of-national-currency.html):
It is the market that made the dollar into global money -- and what the market giveth, the market can taketh away. If the tailors balk and the dollar fails, the market may privatize money on its own.

We use fiat money because they are, or were, more efficient than coin. We will use something like GoldMoney.com (http://www.goldmoney.com) because it is the most efficient for of money.

Mesogen
09-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Wow, you picked some good parts.

It must be stressed that a well-managed fiat money system has considerable advantages over a commodity-based one, not least of which that it does not waste valuable resources. There is little to commend in digging up gold in South Africa just to bury it again in Fort Knox. ... Modern technology makes a revival of gold money, through private gold banks, possible even without government support.

Yeah, well what about poorly managed fiat money systems? What about fiat money systems that are well handled but handled for the benefit of a select few?

It is the market that made the dollar into global money -- and what the market giveth, the market can taketh away. If the tailors balk and the dollar fails, the market may privatize money on its own.
HAHAHA! Not it wasn't. It wasn't the free market that made the dollar all powerful. It was the US military. Didn't we make a deal with OPEC that we would protect Saudi Arabia in exchange that they would trade oil only in dollars, thus pegging the dollar to oil, and creating a worldwide demand for dollars?

It had nothing to do with the free market and everything to do with political arrangements.

Bradley in DC
09-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Dr. Paul's vision for a modern gold standard and competing currencies would be to get rid of governmental monetary policies and end monetary nationalism. F.A. Hayek wrote a seminal essay (several actually) on this topic:

http://www.fff.org/freedom/0899b.asp

http://www.amazon.com/Denationalization-Money-Analysis-Concurrent-Currencies/dp/0255360878

http://econpapers.repec.org/article/tafeujhet/v_3A13_3Ay_3A2006_3Ai_3A2_3Ap_3A213-231.htm

http://www.mises.org/rothbard/genuine.asp
Hayek's "Denationalization" of Money

The best known proposal to separate money from the state is that of F.A. Hayek and his followers.[5] Hayek's "denationalization of money" would eliminate legal tender laws, and allow every individual and organization to issue its own currency, as paper tickets with its own names and marks attached. The central government would retain its monopoly over the dollar, or franc, but other institutions would be allowed to compete in the money creation business by offering their own brand name currencies. Thus, Hayek would be able to print Hayeks, the present author to issue Rothbards, and so on. Mixed in with Hayek's suggested legal change is an entrepreneurial scheme by which a Hayek-inspired bank would issue "ducats," which would be issued in such a way as to keep prices in terms' of ducats constant. Hayek is confident that his ducat would easily out- compete the inflated dollar, pound, mark, or whatever.

Manible
09-22-2007, 08:08 PM
James Madison: "History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling the money and its issuance."

Hmmm... who to believe? The CFR or James Madison?

I'll believe the asshole who doesn't use an argument of authority.

Hook
09-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Dr. Paul's vision for a modern gold standard and competing currencies would be to get rid of governmental monetary policies and end monetary nationalism. F.A. Hayek wrote a seminal essay (several actually) on this topic:

http://www.fff.org/freedom/0899b.asp

http://www.amazon.com/Denationalization-Money-Analysis-Concurrent-Currencies/dp/0255360878

http://econpapers.repec.org/article/tafeujhet/v_3A13_3Ay_3A2006_3Ai_3A2_3Ap_3A213-231.htm

http://www.mises.org/rothbard/genuine.asp
Hayek's "Denationalization" of Money

The best known proposal to separate money from the state is that of F.A. Hayek and his followers.[5] Hayek's "denationalization of money" would eliminate legal tender laws, and allow every individual and organization to issue its own currency, as paper tickets with its own names and marks attached. The central government would retain its monopoly over the dollar, or franc, but other institutions would be allowed to compete in the money creation business by offering their own brand name currencies. Thus, Hayek would be able to print Hayeks, the present author to issue Rothbards, and so on. Mixed in with Hayek's suggested legal change is an entrepreneurial scheme by which a Hayek-inspired bank would issue "ducats," which would be issued in such a way as to keep prices in terms' of ducats constant. Hayek is confident that his ducat would easily out- compete the inflated dollar, pound, mark, or whatever.

Can't people do this already? States are prevented from printing their own currency, but citizens are perfectly legal in doing so. It's just that most people won't accept it because it is so much easier to only deal in FRNs. You can use gold and silver coins at some places here where I live, and I have read news stories about towns that print up local currency to keep inside of the community.

jonahtrainer
09-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Can't people do this already? States are prevented from printing their own currency, but citizens are perfectly legal in doing so. It's just that most people won't accept it because it is so much easier to only deal in FRNs. You can use gold and silver coins at some places here where I live, and I have read news stories about towns that print up local currency to keep inside of the community.

The main problem we have is the 28% rate gain tax on gold and silver Bullion. Sen. Larry 'tappy tappy' Craig was a cosponsor on a bill to abolish this tax.

The Legal Tender laws affect us but not that much. They are invoked with a court settlement. If you have a restaurant you can refuse to accept FRNs.

Private gold currencies, like GoldMoney.com (http://www.goldmoney.com), already exist. Having them break into the market is tough but they are making consistent inroads as a store of value. Paper money overtook gold/silver because it was more efficient. Now digital gold currencies are more efficient than paper money. The market will choose and Gold will reclaim its rightful spot.

Money consists of three factors; 1) unit of account, 2) medium of exchange and 3) store of value.

The dollar is losing its ability to act as a store of value. Wise investors have already starting keeping their 'accounts' in gold (central/world bank already do, I keep my personal financial books (I have multiple sets for different reasons, managerial accounting, tax, financial $ vs gold, etc.) in gold).

The last pillar to go, but the one that goes extremely fast, is the medium of exchange. We are seeing this begin to happen already. China is requiring contracts to be denominated in Euros. Iran is requiring Japan to pay for $10B of oil with Yen. As the pillar erodes currency controls will probably be put in place that will make it erode even faster.