PDA

View Full Version : Two Japanese caught smuggling US bonds worth $134.5 billion

Perry
06-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Italy’s financial police has seized US bonds worth US 134.5 billion from two Japanese nationals at Chiasso (40 km from Milan) on the border between Italy and Switzerland. They include 249 US Federal Reserve bonds worth US$ 500 million each, plus ten Kennedy bonds and other US government securities worth a billion dollar each.

Italian authorities have not yet determined whether they are real or fake, but if they are real the attempt to take them into Switzerland would be the largest financial smuggling operation in history; if they are fake, the matter would be even more mind-boggling because the quality of the counterfeit work is such that the fake bonds are undistinguishable from the real ones.

What caught the policemen’s attention were the billion dollar securities. Such a large denomination is not available in regular financial and banking markets. Only states handle such amounts of money.

The question now is who could or would counterfeit or smuggle these non-negotiable bonds.

source (http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=10797)

:eek::eek:

I can't wait to hear what this is about.
Anyone have an hypothesis?

Reason
06-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Wow! :eek:

That's crazy, I wonder if they are legit or not :confused:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20670001&sid=aHumNo7stuQg

Vessol
06-12-2009, 01:47 AM
What could they do with that much U.S bonds? Who knows.

Seems awfully strange though.

Sandman33
06-12-2009, 02:34 AM
What could they do with that much U.S bonds? Who knows.

Seems awfully strange though.

Who cares? U.S. bonds are FREE now remember? In fact China stopped buying and we are buying our own bonds now right....LOL

Those bonds are PAPER...trust me, all the gold that those bonds used to be backed by is already in swiss accounts....and has been for years.

Elwar
06-12-2009, 06:10 AM
Maybe the Japanese nationals purchased them legitimately...maybe they exchanged a billion dollars worth of bonds for a loaf or bread or something.

Perry
06-12-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't know something just smells fishy here.

He Who Pawns
06-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Who has that kind of money? It seems improbable that this would be legit bonds. If they were, the guys could have come in via private helicopter or something safer.

Perry
06-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Who has that kind of money? It seems improbable that this would be legit bonds. If they were, the guys could have come in via private helicopter or something safer.

My thinking is that they aren't fake but we could be looking some sort of theft by people high up the ladder. I mean high ranking officials or even some state organization or government entity.

Zippyjuan
06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
There is a longer thread already going on http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=195443
The face value of the bonds is supposedly $500 million but I can find no mention of any bonds over $1 million- I think they are forgeries.

Sandman33
06-12-2009, 01:10 PM
maybe the japanese nationals purchased them legitimately...maybe they exchanged a billion dollars worth of bonds for a loaf or bread or something.

tehahahahaaa!!

nobody's_hero
06-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Lol, they're worried about who would make counterfeit bonds.

ROFL.

My hypothesis:

The bonds are actually real, and the Fed must make a trumped up story about the bonds possibly being fake in order to destroy that which they have created waaay too much of.

It goes something like "What?! I don't owe you any money! Those are fake."

Freedom 4 all
06-12-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't know something just smells fishy here.

BEST RON PAUL QUOTE EVER:

"If that sounds a bit fishy, you understand it just fine"