PDA

View Full Version : Audit the Fed Bill Passes 218 Cosponsors -- So What?

constitutional
06-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I am running out of patience. My congressman finally caved in.

What's needed to get this bill through the committee process? Here's what C4L email said:

"Now we must concentrate on seeing the bill through the committee process and getting it to the House floor for a vote."

Real creative.

JoshLowry
06-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Maybe Rachel can give us an answer?

I understood it as being that we don't need Barney Frank to pick it out to be voted on.

muh_roads
I think 250 automatically pushes to a house vote without needing the committee vote...

Cowlesy
I have a feeling John Tate and co. will let us know where to point the activist bazooka shortly.

constitutional
06-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Bernanke in the top right corner, LOL!

LT for the Truth
06-11-2009, 03:56 PM

I luv this board guys!

ItsTime
06-11-2009, 03:57 PM
bernanke in the top right corner, lol!

lmao

constitutional
06-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Well I hope the bill doesn't get changed all that much in the committee before it arrives on the floor.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8637/bernankewillsmith.jpg

dannno
06-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Seriously.. more than half the members have co-sponsored the bill.. so what are they waiting for??

It was cool to see Dennis Kucinich co-sponsor in the 218th position, the one that put it over the 50/50 mark, after all the bad things people around here said about him for not co-sponsoring.

JoshLowry
06-11-2009, 04:07 PM
It was cool to see Dennis Kucinich co-sponsor in the 218th position, the one that put it over the 50/50 mark, after all the bad things people around here said about him for not co-sponsoring.

I still think it is weird. We needed momentum two months ago and he wasn't helping out.

Seems kind of bandwagonish to me. *shrug*

eduardo89
06-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Who cares if its kind of bandwagonish, Kucinich doesn't do much to help our movement. It's good to see more and more people signing on to this, let's hope we can get to 290 to have it veto-proof!!

anaconda
06-11-2009, 05:29 PM
I think 250 automatically pushes to a house vote without needing the committee vote...

We made need another couple of days for that.:D

anaconda
06-11-2009, 05:31 PM

Ya! I just made it my desktop background! Does anyone have a URL for that pic so I can get a larger photo for my desktop background?

anaconda
06-11-2009, 05:33 PM
bernanke in the top right corner, lol!

and upper left corner with rp looking across at him !

dannno
06-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I still think it is weird. We needed momentum two months ago and he wasn't helping out.

Seems kind of bandwagonish to me. *shrug*

As soon as Kucinich put out his Fed transparency bill I had a feeling I knew what was going on. They weren't competing AGAINST each other, they were competing WITH each other.. Both trying to test the waters to see who could get the legislation through. Dennis knew that by signing onto RP's bill, there would probably be a lot of wary Republicans who might not want to sign onto a bill with him until it gathers more steam. So Dennis introduced his own bill to see if the Dems would sign on. We put more pressure to get our bill through, and so when the tipping point came he finally signed on as a symbolic gesture to RP. One extra co-sponsor out of hundreds doesn't really make that much of a difference, but the one who makes the tipping point seems to have more carry.

youngbuck
06-11-2009, 06:33 PM
As soon as Kucinich put out his Fed transparency bill I had a feeling I knew what was going on. They weren't competing AGAINST each other, they were competing WITH each other.. Both trying to test the waters to see who could get the legislation through. Dennis knew that by signing onto RP's bill, there would probably be a lot of wary Republicans who might not want to sign onto a bill with him until it gathers more steam. So Dennis introduced his own bill to see if the Dems would sign on. We put more pressure to get our bill through, and so when the tipping point came he finally signed on as a symbolic gesture to RP. One extra co-sponsor out of hundreds doesn't really make that much of a difference, but the one who makes the tipping point seems to have more carry.

An optimistic way of looking at it ;)

Hurricane Bruiser
06-11-2009, 06:42 PM

+1776

Makes sense to me. Now if I can only get my Congressman on board.... grrr
Mollohan needs some more calls I guess.

LibertyEagle
06-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Well howdy there Bruiser. Long time no see. Great to see you back here. :)

Bman
06-11-2009, 07:21 PM

When you mouse over Bernake it should say PLEASE DON'T!!!

austrianschool
06-11-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm waiting for Benochio and his minions to herd enough of Congress into a back room and lay down the law to them. That's probably happening as I type this. Those who created the Fed, those who run it and those who continue to profit from it will not lie down and simply yield to 1207. Even if a push, to bring the issue to the floor, is successful, there will be efforts (on and off camera) to castrate its effect on the Fed. I remain hopeful.

GunnyFreedom
06-11-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm waiting for Benochio and his minions to herd enough of Congress into a back room and lay down the law to them. That's probably happening as I type this. Those who created the Fed, those who run it and those who continue to profit from it will not lie down and simply yield to 1207. Even if a push, to bring the issue to the floor, is successful, there will be efforts (on and off camera) to castrate its effect on the Fed. I remain hopeful.

Two Senate Bills.

The GOOD one: S604 "Federal Reserve Sunshine Act" sponsored by Bernie Sanders (puke!) is the companion bill to HR1207. Several of the Republicans in the meeting tonight became extra-wary of S604 because Sanders was it's sponsor

The BAD one: S869 sponsored by Republican John Thune designed to neuter HR1207 in the negotiations committee.

We need to throw real weight in favor of S604 and in opposition to S869

YEA on S604
NAY on S869

BOTH bills are supposed to audit the Fed, but S869 is only a symbolic audit, while S604 is the real deal.

Bman
06-11-2009, 07:45 PM
When you mouse over Bernake it should say PLEASE DON'T!!!

Actually I take that back. What has been done is much better!:D

Bman
06-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Two Senate Bills.

The GOOD one: S604 "Federal Reserve Sunshine Act" sponsored by Bernie Sanders (puke!) is the companion bill to HR1207. Several of the Republicans in the meeting tonight became extra-wary of S604 because Sanders was it's sponsor

The BAD one: S869 sponsored by Republican John Thune designed to neuter HR1207 in the negotiations committee.

We need to throw real weight in favor of S604 and in opposition to S869

YEA on S604
NAY on S869

BOTH bills are supposed to audit the Fed, but S869 is only a symbolic audit, while S604 is the real deal.

I just read 869 and it looks like it's about collecting money to repay the national debt. What am I missing?

anaconda
06-11-2009, 07:57 PM

You are correct, sir. The real battle is just beginning. Think of the scene in Braveheart where Wallace was giving his Freedom speech on horseback.

GunnyFreedom
06-11-2009, 08:00 PM
I just read 869 and it looks like it's about collecting money to repay the national debt. What am I missing?

It's a rider, HC-45 attached to the bill S869 already in progress so that it would pass BEFORE S604 in order to be the one in the negotiations committee, IIRC. Let me do some research...

GunnyFreedom
06-11-2009, 08:04 PM
oh damn. It's S896 now I feel stupid I just told 30 Republicans that the 'bad' bill is S869 when it's really S896. I got the "good" one S604 right though. :o

GunnyFreedom
06-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm getting bad info from the LP on this obviously. S896 has already passed and has nothing to do with it

Bman
06-11-2009, 08:09 PM
oh damn. It's S896 now I feel stupid I just told 30 Republicans that the 'bad' bill is S869 when it's really S896. I got the "good" one S604 right though. :o

Oh God, it's Chris Dodd!

Yeah that bill looks pretty (self nerfed explicative) bad.

boethius27
06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Woot woot! Take that Ben!

GunnyFreedom
06-11-2009, 08:12 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:

If I didn't already dislike the LP I surely do now. They just made me look like a fool at my GOP County meeting because they put out clearly bad data that I believed.

At the following site:

http://www.lp.org/blogs/austin-petersen/republican-senators-neuter-federal-reserve-transparency-bill

They speak of "HC-45" designed to kill the effects of HR-1207 in the Senate; BUT THIS site:

http://www.conservativeforchange.com/2009/06/hr-1207-audit-fed-is-being-water-downed.html

Says that the real name for "HC-45" is actually S896

Apparently ALL of this is just made up out of thin damn air. I can't find ANYTHING on the 'bad' Senate bill at all.

Because I trusted something that came off the official LP website now I look like a fool in front of the GOP Org I will need to count on when running for State House next year.

and YES, they were ALL taking notes. :mad:

I think i will put "lp.org" on my firewall blocklist now :mad:

Bman
06-11-2009, 08:14 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:

If I didn't already dislike the LP I surely do now. They just made me look like a fool at my GOP County meeting because they put out clearly bad data that I believed.

At the following site:

http://www.lp.org/blogs/austin-petersen/republican-senators-neuter-federal-reserve-transparency-bill

They speak of "HC-45" designed to kill the effects of HR-1207 in the Senate; BUT THIS site:

http://www.conservativeforchange.com/2009/06/hr-1207-audit-fed-is-being-water-downed.html

Says that the real name for "HC-45" is actually S896

Apparently ALL of this is just made up out of thin damn air. I can't find ANYTHING on the 'bad' Senate bill at all.

Because I trusted something that came off the official LP website now I look like a fool in front of the GOP Org I will need to count on when running for State House next year.

and YES, they were ALL taking notes. :mad:

I think i will put "lp.org" on my firewall blocklist now :mad:

Yipes. I'd send out a statement immediatly.

I misread the bill number or such, and then have a staged firing or something.

GunnyFreedom
06-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Yipes. I'd send out a statement immediatly.

I misread the bill number or such, and then have a staged firing or something.

Good call. Here is what I just sent everybody:

I would like to pass on a clarification of the alleged "dueling Senate Bills." I had some wrong information on the bad Senate bill. Turns out I was repeating some mistaken information that had been propagated by a blog entitled "Conservative For Change."

S604 is absolutely the companion bill for auditing the Fed that we need to support.

The truth behind the action to weaken the bill, is that Senator Richard Shelby, a Republican from Alabama, plans to introduce a House Concurrent "HC-45" designed to reduce the scope of the Fed Audit “with respect to a single and specific partnership or corporation.”

In other words, If Senator Shelby's amendment to S604 is passed, then the GAO will ONLY be able to audit the Federal Reserve with respect to it's dealings with a specified company or individual.

The bad data regarding S869 or S896 came from a conservative Blog, "Conservative For Change" which the author had not properly sourced. Cited at the following address:

The reality is that it's not Senator Thune or Senator Dodd, but Senator Shelby of Alabama who is attempting to directly water down S604 by amending it with a House Concurrent resolution "HC-45" to dramatically limit it's scope.

I apologize for having passed on that bad information regarding the competing Senate bills.

Glen Bradley

GunnyFreedom
06-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Furthermore, the extent of the LP's culpability was only to call "HC-45" a "bill" it was the "Conservative For Change" site that put out the REALLY bad info. :(

sfws09
06-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Sen. Shelby is my senator.
I would like to call his office about S604 AND about HC-45 but I can't find any information on HC45.
HELP! I have the text from S604 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.604:) but nothing is said about HC-45 in it....