PDA

View Full Version : Cop shoots and kills 12 lb. Dachshund

Anti Federalist
06-10-2009, 07:20 PM
According to a news release from Danville Police Chief Philip Broadfoot, an officer shot and killed the dachshund Monday night while serving two outstanding warrants to a neighbor in the 100 block of Berman Drive.

As the officer returned to his car, “he was surprised by a growling dog running through the yard directly at him from the rear, leaving him with just seconds to consider his options,” according to the news release. The options for the officer in that type of situation include running to the squad car; distracting the dog; or using pepper spray, a baton or firearm. The dog lunged at the police officer and attacked him as the officer fired one shot that hit and killed the dog, Broadfoot said.

An investigation by the Danville Police Department found that the dog displayed aggressive tendencies before other people.

“Shooting a dog which is actively presenting a threat to an officer is within the department’s policy,” ac-cording to the release.

Lt. Mike Mondul, public information officer for the Danville Police Department, said that the lag between the incident and acknowledgement from the department was due to an administrative decision.

“The decision was made by department administration that the chief would address it on Thursday,” Mondul said.

Carlos, 14, was upstairs when he heard the gunshot.

“I saw my mom, and she started to cry,” Carlos said.

The children came downstairs, he said, and their mother told them that a police officer shot Killer.

Tawaiin drove home from work after getting a call from Carlos about the shooting.

“When I got there, the dog was laying with his guts hanging out,” Tawaiin said.

The officer leaned against his patrol car, smoking a cigarette, and Tawaiin walked over to talk to him. He said the officer told him that he had to shoot the dog because he was barking at him. Tawaiin asked for his badge number and name, but the officer refused to give it to him and said his supervisor was on the way.

http://www.godanriver.com/gdr/news/local/danville_news/article/danville_family_grieves_after_they_say_dog_is_shot/11650/

LibertyEagle
06-10-2009, 07:23 PM
:(

I have no words right now, but I'm sure I will have some choice ones later.

BillyDkid
06-10-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't think it's any secret that a fair number of guys become cops precisely so they can use their weapons. Give any of these guys the remotest excuse to shoot or taze or club something or someone and they will. Certainly not all cops, but enough of them to present a hazard to the rest of us.

Anti Federalist
06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
:(

I have no words right now, but I'm sure I will have some choice ones later.

They blow us away with increasing impunity.:mad:

Seems logical to assume that at the slightest sign of aggression from a dog, any dog, hell, in this case the cops were at the neighbor's house FFS, they'll just blow your dog away as well.

Keep your pets and family away from cops. Their lives may depend on it.

Reason
06-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Published: June 10, 2009

Eleven years ago, Tawaiin Harper spent months looking for a pet that would grow up with his children, Nicole and Carlos.

Tawaiin said he didn’t want anything that would get too big and found a match in a miniature dachshund. The family named the dog Killer despite its small size.

“He was a part of the family,” Tawaiin said. “I come home everyday and wait for that greeting.”

According to a news release from Danville Police Chief Philip Broadfoot, an officer shot and killed the dachshund Monday night while serving two outstanding warrants to a neighbor in the 100 block of Berman Drive.

As the officer returned to his car, “he was surprised by a growling dog running through the yard directly at him from the rear, leaving him with just seconds to consider his options,” according to the news release. The options for the officer in that type of situation include running to the squad car; distracting the dog; or using pepper spray, a baton or firearm. The dog lunged at the police officer and attacked him as the officer fired one shot that hit and killed the dog, Broadfoot said.

An investigation by the Danville Police Department found that the dog displayed aggressive tendencies before other people.

“Shooting a dog which is actively presenting a threat to an officer is within the department’s policy,” ac-cording to the release.

Lt. Mike Mondul, public information officer for the Danville Police Department, said that the lag between the incident and acknowledgement from the department was due to an administrative decision.

“The decision was made by department administration that the chief would address it on Thursday,” Mondul said.

Carlos, 14, was upstairs when he heard the gunshot.

“I saw my mom, and she started to cry,” Carlos said.

The children came downstairs, he said, and their mother told them that a police officer shot Killer.

Tawaiin drove home from work after getting a call from Carlos about the shooting.

“When I got there, the dog was laying with his guts hanging out,” Tawaiin said.

The officer leaned against his patrol car, smoking a cigarette, and Tawaiin walked over to talk to him. He said the officer told him that he had to shoot the dog because he was barking at him. Tawaiin asked for his badge number and name, but the officer refused to give it to him and said his supervisor was on the way.

His supervisor arrived and couldn’t believe what happened, Tawaiin said.

“(The lieutenant) was very, very remorseful,” Tawaiin said. “He kept apologizing. And he said I know apologizing can’t bring the dog back, but I just don’t know what to say.”

The dog was a member of the family, Tawaiin said. Nicole was 4 and Carlos was 3 when the family wel-comed the new addition.

“He was like a brother to me,” Carlos said.

Killer greeted Tawaiin every time he came home. Whenever a car pulled into the cul-de-sac, Killer barked to let everyone know that someone new was there.

“He was the security guard around here,” Tawaiin said.

Neighbors said Killer was a sweet, mild-mannered dog.

“He just kind of walked up and down the neighborhood and didn’t bother anybody,” said Jenine Edmunds, who lives on the cul-de-sac. “He was just a little house dog.”

Friends and neighbors have asked the Harpers if they will get a new dog.

“You can’t replace Killer. He’s one of a kind.

“I’m still trying to soak it in because the dog had been with us so long. He was a family member. They took a family member away.”

Minarchy4Sale
06-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Perhaps if cops had a little more respect for property rights, theyd have less need to shoot ANYTHING.

Anti Federalist
06-10-2009, 07:44 PM
http://www.wcpo.com/media/news/6/7/8/678c8aa3-f772-40d4-a537-997fbc8d3579/Original.jpg

CINCINNATI -- A Blue Ash family is outraged after returning home to find their dog had been shot and killed by a police officer.

The dog was a Chihuahua-mix named “Jack” that Scott and Sharon Bullock had given to their 12-year-old son for his birthday a few years ago.

When the Bullocks returned home from a family member's funeral on Friday, they found blood and three bullets on their front porch – along with a note to call the Blue Ash Police Department about their dog.

The Bullocks were shocked to learn that Jack had gotten out of the backyard and two officers who tried to catch him, ended up shooting and killing him right on the family's front porch.

"He was cornered on the porch and scared," said Sharon Bullock. "The officer bent down bare-handed to pick up Jack, and Jack bit him."

"My five-year-old cried himself to sleep the night before last, wanting his dog," said Sharon Bullock.

"He ‘barks’ for him" added Scott Bullock. "He'd ‘bark’ and Jack would always come to him, so he's outside going ‘Bark bark bark,’ hoping he's gonna come back. It's heartbreaking."

The Bullocks told their five-year-old and three-year-old sons that Jack ran away.

The Bullocks admit they were at fault for leaving their dog outside, and are sorry the officer was bitten, but they say their dog was not a vicious animal and had never bitten anyone before.

They're wondering why the officers didn't call the SPCA to catch the dog.

"They didn't make that phone call other than to come scoop the dog off the porch after they shot him," said Scott Bullock. "Two grown men that can't gather up a five-pound dog – and they're trained police officers – sounds ridiculous to me."

That officer later explained to the family that he was following procedure.

Blue Ash police say one of the officers was bitten on both hands. One hand was bitten 17 times and the other was bitten nine times.

The dog was holding on so tight he left one of his teeth in the officer's hands.

An officer attempted to tase the dog while another officer was holding him, but it did not work, so they had to shoot the animal.

Blue Ash police say the officers handled the situation according to department policy.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/Family-Outraged-After-Officer-Shoots-Their-Dog/s8GbE4dftEigqCUBVDkUzA.cspx

Arnack
06-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't think it's any secret that a fair number of guys become cops precisely so they can use their weapons. Give any of these guys the remotest excuse to shoot or taze or club something or someone and they will. Certainly not all cops, but enough of them to present a hazard to the rest of us.
I agree. I've always thought that the job of a police officer is one of the highest jobs (I use that term loosely) in the world, but the easiest to become admitted into. I believe that to become a police, you need to have a very good educational background, equipped with college degrees and so forth. After signing up, I believe the police officer should go through extensive training for at least 2 years. Finally, I believe their pay should be increased quite greatly. Maybe this will stop so many fail cops from joining the 'force'.
These are all sickening stories, and I believe that the career of a policeman is given out too loosely.

fedup100
06-10-2009, 08:06 PM
My brother was a New Jersey State trooper. While there are some now days that are good people with compassion and common sense, for the most part they truly are jack booted thugs.

Killing dogs and cats is SOP to these corrupt blood thirsty bastards. SOP if they come to your house to get you whether bogus or not will be to shoot your dog first and they will make every effort to stomp puppies and cats or kittens to death, it is in the manual.

All of us are in grave danger from these out of control monsters and the most innocent ones in our families are at the top of their list to murder.

amy31416
06-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Jesus Christ. I was bit by a German Shepherd when I was 6 because I was stupid about dogs and thought they were all like Clifford. I learned from the incident to learn how to read dogs and to respect them. If a cop is afraid enough of a Dachshund as an adult that he has to kill him, when I wasn't afraid of a full-size shep as a little kid--things are just wrong.

Brian4Liberty
06-10-2009, 08:18 PM
I was once viciously attacked by a Dachshund. I would have been scarred for life, except it took a good minute to realize that the dog was attacking me... ;)

Once again, the Officer should be disciplined, and possibly fired if he has screwed up in the past. One ignorant dude. Instead of anger management, he needs fear management.

Imperial
06-10-2009, 08:42 PM
They should picket the police station until the cops take disciplinary action on the one who shot the poor dog.

heavenlyboy34
06-10-2009, 09:10 PM

:eek::(~hides under a blanket~

Anti Federalist
06-11-2009, 10:28 AM
bark bump

acptulsa
06-11-2009, 11:35 AM
I think his freedom of access to the donut shop should be curtailed for the duration.

If the bastard can't outrun a daschund, he doesn't need to be giving himself a heart attack trying to catch an actual miscreant.

BuddyRey
06-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Is there anybody we can call to demand the resignation of this officer? :mad:

Anti Federalist
06-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Is there anybody we can call to demand the resignation of this officer? :mad:

City of Danville
Police Department
427 Patton St.
Danville, VA 24541
Phone: (434) 799-6510
Email: danvillepd@ci.danville.va.us

http://www.danville-va.gov/departments.asp?menuid=2820&sub1menuid=2837

acptulsa
06-11-2009, 11:58 AM
1966: Now, little Johnny, if you're ever lost find a policeman. He's your friend and he'll help you.

2009: Now, little Johnny, if you hear the dog barking look to see if it's a policeman. If it is, call the dog in quickly before he shoots it dead.

Dieseler
06-11-2009, 12:19 PM
He should be tested for steroid use. ( The Policeman that shot the dog)
As a matter of fact, if its good for baseball then it should be good policy for America's police officers to submit to steroid tests as well with the same penalties, if tests confirm illegal use.
Roid rage is most likely the cause of the epidemic of police abuse we are seeing lately.

jkr
06-11-2009, 12:20 PM
they got them a five pound cheew wahwah 'round here...

Anti Federalist
06-11-2009, 12:29 PM
they got them a five pound cheew wahwah 'round here...

Ummm, wut?:confused:

Paulitical Correctness
06-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Near this spot
Are deposited the Remains Of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes
Is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, A DOG.
Who was born at Newfoundland May 1803
And died in Newstead Nov. 18th 1808.

When some proud son of man returns to Earth,
Unknown by Glory, but upheld by Birth,
The sculptor’s art exhausts the pomp of woe,
And stories urns record that rests below.
When all is done, upon the Tomb is seen,
Not what he was, but what he should have been.
But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his Master’s own,
Who labors, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonour'd falls, unnoticed all his worth,
Deny'd in heaven the Soul he held on earth –
While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.
Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power,
Who knows thee well must quit thee with disgust,
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy heart deceit.
By nature vile, ennoble but by name,
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
Ye! who behold perchance this simple urn,
Pass on, it honors none you wish to mourn.
To mark a friend’s remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one – and here he lies.

:mad:

Anti Federalist
06-11-2009, 01:34 PM
:mad:

That was Lord Byron's epithet for his Newfie dog.

As you can see, I agree with his writings.

There would be trouble if this happened to my dog.

You ever see the movie "Shooter"?

"You don't understand, these guys killed my dog!":mad::mad::mad:

I Am Weasel
06-11-2009, 06:33 PM
how do we go about finding updates about this story?

I Am Weasel
06-11-2009, 06:49 PM
http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/local/southside/article/danville_police_chief_backtracks_on_officer_dog_sh ooting/37625/

Bman
06-11-2009, 07:37 PM
I agree. I've always thought that the job of a police officer is one of the highest jobs (I use that term loosely) in the world, but the easiest to become admitted into. I believe that to become a police, you need to have a very good educational background, equipped with college degrees and so forth. After signing up, I believe the police officer should go through extensive training for at least 2 years. Finally, I believe their pay should be increased quite greatly. Maybe this will stop so many fail cops from joining the 'force'.
These are all sickening stories, and I believe that the career of a policeman is given out too loosely.

Not sure if it is true, but I was toled at somepoint that in New York you will not be hired as a poice officer if you have an IQ greater than 120.

Sean
06-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Not sure if it is true, but I was toled at somepoint that in New York you will not be hired as a poice officer if you have an IQ greater than 120.

I know for the LA County Sheriff's Department in the 1990s they gave you a 5th grade grammar test. All you have to do is get a 50 percent or above on it. Everyone scoring above 50 percent was treated the same in the hiring process.

Dieseler
06-11-2009, 11:37 PM
I know for the LA County Sheriff's Department in the 1990s they gave you a 5th grade grammar test. All you have to do is get a 50 percent or above on it. Everyone scoring above 50 percent was treated the same in the hiring process.

No cop left behind.

ChooseLiberty
06-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Those bastards shot Killer the MINIATURE wiener dog?

Have you ever seen a mini wiener dog?

They're like a Vienna Sausage size dog.

Seems like the ASPCA or PETA should be harassing the hell out of these cops and the cop that shoots a mini weiner dog should be hung by his balls.

andrewh817
06-12-2009, 02:53 AM

By increased pay do you mean less officers, more qualified ones? Because otherwise how is the pay increase going to stop idiots from becoming cops?

donnay
06-12-2009, 07:49 AM
I believe the crime of harming a police dog, is a class C felony even if you are doing nothing more than defending yourself.

This cop deserves to be fired and charged. Period.

Brooklyn Red Leg
06-12-2009, 08:34 AM
I believe the crime of harming a police dog, is a class C felony even if you are doing nothing more than defending yourself.

Probably the same for tasering some douchebag horse-cop who uses his mount to crush people. These stories are sickening. :mad:

I Am Weasel
06-12-2009, 10:23 AM
the ASPCA? huh? What's the ASPCA? I have no clue, I see marathons on late night tv asking for donations to the ASPCA, but never once ever have I heard them say what ASPCA stands for. I watch all the shows about animal cruelty and see the ASPCA trucks, employees with shirts saying ASPCA, and the fricken acronym is NEVER explained! I finally had to go searching on the internet to find out what it meant, and even that took more time than I could believe necessary.

JeNNiF00F00
06-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Ugh! This ticks me off to no end. I have had these dogs all my life. They bark and are good watch dogs but they very rarely bite unless they are provoked. Normally they bark because they see someone, or because they are happy that someone is coming to say 'hello'. The officer needs to be fired for shooting the dog. Breaks my heart. :mad::(:mad::(

Pennsylvania
06-12-2009, 10:33 AM
How could anyone kill a 12 lb. dachsund? I mean 13 lbs I could understand, but 12? Oh the humanity...

ChaosControl
06-12-2009, 10:34 AM
The cop deserves .....

jclay2
06-12-2009, 10:39 AM
This guy is pathetic and should be fired. 12lbs! Seriously, 12 lbs. What a absolute piece of garbage. My grandma could take care of a 12 lb dachshund. This guy was blood thirsty, pure and simple.

JeNNiF00F00
06-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Lets not forget the 80 year old grandma being tazed by another cop just the other week. This shit has got to stop. :mad:

heavenlyboy34
06-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Lets not forget the 80 year old grandma being tazed by another cop just the other week. This shit has got to stop. :mad:

The sheeple are being fleeced. :( It makes me wanna cry, it's so fucking tragic what the State is doing to its victims. :(:(

Krugerrand
06-12-2009, 11:35 AM
This is what happens to high-school football players that either can't play college ball or can't get drafted. They go through school encouraged to believe that rules for everybody else don't apply to them. They end up in law enforcement positions where they again are encouraged to believe that the rules don't apply to them.

The ones that end up drafted have enough money so that the rules don't apply to them either.

acptulsa
06-12-2009, 11:44 AM
The cop deserves .....

Too good for him. He's not worth the price of the little thing anyway.