PDA

View Full Version : Is Peter Schiff the Next Ron Paul?

bobbyw24
06-10-2009, 12:19 PM
http://themoderatevoice.com/34933/is-peter-schiff-the-next-ron-paul/

LINK HAS VIDEO

Peter Schiff, a conservative-leaning libertarian and author who is contemplating a run against Democratic Connecticutt Senator Chris Dodd, was on the Daily Show last night to talk about his latest book as well as the current state of our economy. Now, I was only vaguely familiar with Schiff prior to his Daily Show appearance, as Schiff is well known in paleolibertarian circles and shares a political philosophy that is similar to Ron Paul’s. However, his appearance on the Daily Show was the first time I had seen him in such a high profile venue and in front of a left-leaning crowd that might be hostile towards some of his political views. However, Schiff actually came across rather well in the interview, with Jon Stewart going so far as to showing old footage from the cable news networks showing pundits ridiculing him even as he offered economic predictions that, in retrospect, have actually proven to be fairly accurate.

Towards the end of the interview, he hinted at running against Dodd. Running as a Republican in a liberal state against an entrenched Democrat, Schiff would probably be an underdog. But Dodd’s connections with the banking industry cannot be helping him all that much at a time when the government is giving billions of dollars to Wall Street in the midst of an economic recession. And a win by Schiff would put in the U.S. Senate a libertarian-leaning, indepedent-minded Republican who, like Ron Paul in the U.S. House of Representatives, would be critical of the political leadership of both political parties.

eduardo89
06-10-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't think he'd be the next Ron Paul, he's not a career politician, but I really hope he can win and inspire as many people as the great doctor does

He Who Pawns
06-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Schiff is well on his way to becoming a major leader of this movement, there is no doubt about that. His rock star status has been confirmed.

anaconda
06-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Schiff is well on his way to becoming a major leader of this movement, there is no doubt about that. His rock star status has been confirmed.

One of the great things about Schiff is that he appears to have sufficient knowledge of economics to take someone like a Bernanke head on and get seriously ugly. Make no mistake, Bernanke is highly educated in economics, and even a Ron Paul cannot effectively engage Ben in a protracted or spirited dialog. Plus, Schiff makes it sound pretty straight forward, which is what many voters need.

He Who Pawns
06-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Senators also get more time and leeway to grill Bernanke and Geithner, I believe.

anaconda
06-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't think he'd be the next Ron Paul, he's not a career politician, but I really hope he can win and inspire as many people as the great doctor does

That he is not a career politician may be part of his appeal. Ron Paul has a far better understanding of economics ( far better ) than the average politician, but my guess is that Schiff is several notches up from RP, and is also more articulate when speaking on the subject.

anaconda
06-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Senators also get more time and leeway to grill Bernanke and Geithner, I believe.

Bingo. And Schiff has the economic understanding and the perfect personality to be highly effective in these types of dialogs.

Original_Intent
06-10-2009, 01:36 PM
The one thing Schiff could learn from Paul is humility or at least feigned humility. He has been proven right so often (as has Dr. Paul) that sometimes in his interviews he seems to be talking down his nose to people a tad bit.

Or that may be exactly what is needed, maybe Paul's humility is why he has not gone farther. He absolutely refuses to bitch slap those who really deserve it. He may have made an exception for Giuliani, but slapping that fool down was a mandate from heaven.

anaconda
06-10-2009, 02:21 PM
The one thing Schiff could learn from Paul is humility or at least feigned humility. He has been proven right so often (as has Dr. Paul) that sometimes in his interviews he seems to be talking down his nose to people a tad bit.

Or that may be exactly what is needed, maybe Paul's humility is why he has not gone farther. He absolutely refuses to bitch slap those who really deserve it. He may have made an exception for Giuliani, but slapping that fool down was a mandate from heaven.

I never thought about it until just now, but I wonder if that exchange with RP did indeed hurt Rudy? I'm thinking not that much. He just wasn't conservative enough. On the other hand, look who got the nomination...

I think Rudy continually playing the 9-11 card was just too transparent as shameless pandering. Even to the Sheeple.

dannno
06-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I'd be down.

torchbearer
06-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I never thought about it until just now, but I wonder if that exchange with RP did indeed hurt Rudy? I'm thinking not that much. He just wasn't conservative enough. On the other hand, look who got the nomination...

I think Rudy continually playing the 9-11 card was just too transparent as shameless pandering. Even to the Sheeple.

The Fox News talking heads were pushing Rudy as the front-runner hard until he got pawned.
Rudy tanked after that debate.

Kotin
I'm in.

Omphfullas Zamboni
I never thought about it until just now, but I wonder if that exchange with RP did indeed hurt Rudy? .

It did not hurt Rudy so much as it helped Paul.

dannno
06-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Ron Paul cannot effectively engage Ben in a protracted or spirited dialog.

That's because he can never guess what kind of BS is going to get thrown at him :rolleyes:

Annihilia
06-10-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't think he's the next Ron Paul, but he's certainly a great ally. His recent appearances at grassroots liberty events are an awesome sign of things to come.

anaconda
06-10-2009, 04:48 PM
That's because he can never guess what kind of BS is going to get thrown at him :rolleyes:

It's also because Ron lacks the depth and breadth of knowledge of economics of a Bernanke. Ben understands the whole picture and can spin very well. But I think Schiff, for example, might be able to smack him down hard if they went toe to toe. Bernanke is like a wizard attorney paid by mobsters to keep them out of jail. Doesn't mean they are not guilty as hell.

tnvoter
06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I've got his back too, yup.

He Who Pawns
06-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Schiff is far younger and better on TV than Dr. Paul. Schiff is a master of soundbites. Probably better in debates, too. But what Schiff lacks right now is a broader message. He focuses almost entirely on the economy, not nearly as much as Dr. Paul does on foreign policy, Patriot Act, guns, healthcare, etc.

RevolutionSD
06-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Not sure how Schiff in the Senate will help, it only legitimizes the system and we are trying to beat them (the statists) at their game.

Also, Schiff mentions in his book how much he likes the Reagan years, so clearly, he is either not a libertarian, or not using the facts when evaluating Reagan.

RevolutionSD
06-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Schiff is far younger and better on TV than Dr. Paul. Schiff is a master of soundbites. Probably better in debates, too. But what Schiff lacks right now is a broader message. He focuses almost entirely on the economy, not nearly as much as Dr. Paul does on foreign policy, Patriot Act, guns, healthcare, etc.

Well he's not so libertarian in many areas. For example, Schiff is for the so-called "Fair Tax", which we all know is a ridiculous idea...even RP says to replace the income tax with NOTHING!

No1ButPaul08
06-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Not sure how Schiff in the Senate will help, it only legitimizes the system and we are trying to beat them (the statists) at their game.

Also, Schiff mentions in his book how much he likes the Reagan years, so clearly, he is either not a libertarian, or not using the facts when evaluating Reagan.

Man he really loved the Reagan years :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, Reagan never really followed through with his promise to rein in government spending, the consequences of which we are struggling with today

Original_Intent
06-11-2009, 11:24 AM

More of this nonsense that if we get a decent man elected it just legitimizes the system. If you are only interested in opting out of the system, what are you doing here? If you feel that you can move tot eh wilderness and everyone will just leave you alone, then go for it. Let us all know how that turns out for ya.

He Who Pawns
06-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Well he's not so libertarian in many areas. For example, Schiff is for the so-called "Fair Tax", which we all know is a ridiculous idea...even RP says to replace the income tax with NOTHING!

The Fair Tax, or a national sales tax, is a million times better than an invasive income tax.

He Who Pawns
06-11-2009, 11:37 AM

You fail at liberty activism.

Theriot
06-11-2009, 12:17 PM
He's only 46, so he could have another 30+ influential years of giving his views in Washington if he chooses to run for Senate or any other political office.

No1ButPaul08
06-11-2009, 12:21 PM
He's only 46, so he could have another 30+ influential years of giving his views in Washington if he chooses to run for Senate or any other political office.

I wouldn't count on 30 years in Washington out of Schiff. I would think 1 term in the Senate and maybe a run at President and he would get out. He can make a lot more money and enjoy life much more as a private citizen.

RevolutionSD
06-11-2009, 03:53 PM
You fail at liberty activism.

Come on now, I like Schiff as much as anyone, but even if we had all Schiff's and Paul's in congress, how soon before we'd go back to what we have now? Collectivism doesn't work and gov't naturally draws authoritarian sociopaths to work for it, making minarchism an impossible dream.

RevolutionSD
06-11-2009, 03:55 PM
More of this nonsense that if we get a decent man elected it just legitimizes the system. If you are only interested in opting out of the system, what are you doing here? If you feel that you can move tot eh wilderness and everyone will just leave you alone, then go for it. Let us all know how that turns out for ya.

Well I've come to the realization (after the Ron Paul campaign) that working within the political system is a losing battle and will never result in even 1% more freedom. The problem is that government is inherently collectivist. I'd rather fight for individualism than to work within a collectivist system that naturally draws authoritarian sociopaths to its ranks (and always will).

RevolutionSD
06-11-2009, 03:57 PM
The Fair Tax, or a national sales tax, is a million times better than an invasive income tax.

It's not, actually. It's just as bad. Even if they started it at the levels suggested (22 or 23%), within a few years everyone would be paying more taxes than they do today. Giving government the power to tax is a fatal mistake. Schiff should realize this, but it apparently does not.

Join The Paul Side
06-12-2009, 12:14 PM

I'm sure Schiff would agree with Ron about abolishing the income tax. He may realize the chances of that are unlikely so why not endorse a Fair Tax? It's better than what we have now. ;)

andrewh817
06-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Peter Schiff has more charisma than Paul and is a better speaker IMO, so I think he has more potential influence on the masses even though Paul already has done an excellent job of that in his previous campaign.

But as others have said, one honest politician in a sea of cronies will not amount to much change.

Imperial
06-12-2009, 12:25 PM
It's not, actually. It's just as bad. Even if they started it at the levels suggested (22 or 23%), within a few years everyone would be paying more taxes than they do today. Giving government the power to tax is a fatal mistake. Schiff should realize this, but it apparently does not.

One guy made legislation making a fair tax in a mock debate. He started the value at 25%.

I made an amendment to 8%. :D

After threatening to derail the whole thing, I got a compromise at 14%. The thing about a flat tax is that it is only good if we make it low too. Otherwise it is just as unfair as an income tax.

I think it is more a question of convincing 434 representatives and 59 senators.

He Who Pawns
06-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Flat tax is useless. It's still an invasive, privacy-shattering, compulsory income tax.

Fair tax is just a tax on consumption, similar to a state sales tax. The only trouble with a national sales tax is the whole "prebate" nonsense.

BuddyRey
06-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I think of Schiff more as a Friedmanian economic liberal than a deontological libertarian of the Austrian school, and I've never heard him address any political issue outside banking and finance, but who knows? I could be very wrong.

nbhadja
06-12-2009, 01:10 PM

Even Ron Paul said he would rather have a flat fair tax than the income tax. Of course he wants no tax just like Peter does, but he did say the fair tax was better than the income tax.

The fair tax, like all other taxes, is just stealing and mugging on behalf of the government, BUT at least it does not subsidize the poor as much as the income tax (it still does, but people have the option of buying less stuff to save money or even using barter).

Imperial
06-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I think of Schiff more as a Friedmanian economic liberal than a deontological libertarian of the Austrian school, and I've never heard him address any political issue outside banking and finance, but who knows? I could be very wrong.

His dad is Irwin Schiff, a prominent LP'er who is in jail for refusal to pay his income tax.

Flash
06-12-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't think there'll be another ONE Ron Paul. It'll probably be a bunch of different Ron Pauls leading the movment. I see Gary Johnson becoming pretty big in 2012.