PDA

View Full Version : Schiff Goes Mainstream!

itshappening
06-10-2009, 08:48 AM
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Outspoken brokerage executive Peter Schiff, who early on predicted the financial market meltdown and current recession, is considering running for the U.S. Senate as a Republican seeking to displace Connecticut's Christopher Dodd.

Schiff, who runs Darien, Connecticut-based brokerage Euro Pacific Capital, late on Tuesday told Jon Stewart of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" he was considering a run for senate.

Andrew Schiff, a spokesman for his brother, told Reuters on Wednesday that the pair was traveling to Washington to meet with U.S. Senator John Cornyn of Texas, chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

The visit is the latest in a series of steps that show Schiff is seriously considering a jump from the fringes of Wall Street to Capitol Hill, Andrew Schiff said.

"We didn't announce last night and we're not announcing now," Andrew Schiff said. "But we're seeing how Peter fits in with the national Republicans and whether they would actively support a candidate of Peter's persuasion."

Peter Schiff was not available for comment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5593T720090610
-

Dig! Rate! Comment! i'm so excited.

He Who Pawns
06-10-2009, 09:06 AM
5 Stars!

Schiff has a lot to offer. For one thing, he can finance his own primary campaign. Also, Schiff is very "liberal" on his social views, which will make him a stronger candidate against Dodd in a liberal bastion like CT. Folks, this is a race we can actually WIN!! We all need to get behind Peter.

eduardo89
06-10-2009, 12:27 PM
5 Stars!

Schiff has a lot to offer. For one thing, he can finance his own primary campaign. Also, Schiff is very "liberal" on his social views, which will make him a stronger candidate against Dodd in a liberal bastion like CT. Folks, this is a race we can actually WIN!! We all need to get behind Peter.

Do we actually know any of his social views? I know he's libertarian leaning, but what are his personal views on social issues? It's not that important, since as a libertarian he won't believe that government has the right to impose morality, but it'd just be interesting to know what they are.

Austin
06-10-2009, 12:38 PM
I actually think that Peter has a greater chance of winning than Rand..

He Who Pawns
06-10-2009, 12:57 PM

Well, Peter has his own money to put into the race, and Dodd is wildly unpopular, so you might be right. We still have yet to see what kind of fundraising Rand is capable of. That will be a big factor.

purplechoe
06-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Run Peter, run!!! I could see us (the revolution) getting behind Peter the way we did with Dr. Paul.

Join The Paul Side
06-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm so thankful that Peter Schiff is even considering this. He and Rand running give me hope for this country....if theres anything left by the time Obama is done. :(

speciallyblend
06-10-2009, 06:41 PM
who cares if the republican party gets behind him? not me. if he is waiting on the gop, then he will have gray hair by then!

run republican or run libertarian or indy! if the gop is to deaf dumb and blind to get behind schiff. then let the gop die for all i care!

Romantarchist
06-10-2009, 06:50 PM
who cares if the republican party gets behind him? not me. if he is waiting on the gop, then he will have gray hair by then!

Didn't Michael Reagan say that I'd rather vote for a liberal than for Ron Paul? Considering his father, the arch-Republican, endorsed Ron Paul personally, that is just shameful.

I know Dodd is unpopular and disgraced, but the problem with all of this is that Connecticut is SUCH a fiscally liberal state. I get the impression that there is no amount of tax increases and spending increases that the voters there would object to, not to mention we'd have to fight against the villainous aristocratic globalists coming out of Yale. Can we really pull this off?

Carole
06-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Didn't Michael Reagan say that I'd rather vote for a liberal than for Ron Paul? Considering his father, the arch-Republican, endorsed Ron Paul personally, that is just shameful.

I know Dodd is unpopular and disgraced, but the problem with all of this is that Connecticut is SUCH a fiscally liberal state. I get the impression that there is no amount of tax increases and spending increases that the voters there would object to, not to mention we'd have to fight against the villainous aristocratic globalists coming out of Yale. Can we really pull this off?

By the time they have to vote things will have changed a great deal. The economy will be so bad, the inflation that is coming, and the unemployment will be so bad the voters will have to reconsider their liberal Dem spending ways--as well as the Reps.

People still do not have a clue, but they are beginning to see the light a little.

Rasmussen poll sometime this week for the first time had Republicans ahead of Dems with regard to economy. Can you believer that?

Oh my: GOP now leads Dems by six points on economy in Rasmussen
h ttp://hotair.com/archives/2009/06/08/oh-my-gop-now-leads-dems-by-six-points-on-economy-in-rasmussen/

Obama Rated Highest as Person, Lowest on Deficit, Spending
h ttp://www.gallup.com/poll/120770/Obama-Rated-Highest-as-Person-Lowest-Deficit-Spending.aspx

Imperial
06-10-2009, 07:02 PM

Schiff has to have the right rhetoric ready. It is like competitive debate. You get used to being asked certain questions, and have answers in your head. With enough stuff about inflation taxing the poor he will be fine.

He Who Pawns
06-10-2009, 07:03 PM

Well, California was a "fiscally liberal" state too, until we went broke. People's minds have changed since this recession kicked in. And Dodd is a big fat target.

speciallyblend
06-10-2009, 07:11 PM

i am not sure on micheal reagan etc,but to me the gop is shameful:(

qh4dotcom
06-11-2009, 01:12 PM
5 Stars!

I don't think he's that eager to risk his own money...maybe a few thousand at the most...remember that Ron Paul had to be convinced to run like Schiff...and as far as I know RP didn't spend his own money on his 2008 presidential run. Don't forget that Peter is also skeptical that he can accomplish anything and change policies if elected senator.

If you have to be persuaded to run I don't think you'll be using your own money.

qh4dotcom
06-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Lew Rockwell says Peter will be attacked by his opponents for his tax protesting father. Rand Paul doesn't have anything from his past that he can be attacked for.

torchbearer
06-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Lew Rockwell says Peter will be attacked by his opponents for his tax protesting father. Rand Paul doesn't have anything from his past that he can be attacked for.

Peter's father isn't Peter's past. It is his father's past.
Funny no one brought up Prescott Bush when either of the george's ran for office.

He Who Pawns
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I think Lew is stating the obvious regarding Peter dad, but that is a very weak attack against Peter. If that's the best they've got, the Dems are in trouble. More likely, they will string together videos of him making "un-American" statements about getting out of US investments, the US going downhill, etc. But those can be countered easily enough, by saying, "Look, until we change our policies to X, Y and Z, yes, we will keep going downhill. We need to fix the system to restore real prosperity." And so on.

A couple grand??? Hahah. Schiff can put millions into the race. And even if he loses, he will get massive ROI on that money, in the form of doubling or tripling his client base at Europac.

No1ButPaul08
06-11-2009, 01:38 PM
IMore likely, they will string together videos of him making "un-American" statements about getting out of US investments, the US going downhill, etc.

Peter commented on this last night on WS Unspun. He was asked about Warren Buffet not talking about getting out of the dollar anymore. He says Buffet is speaking as a patriotic American (in his mind) rather than a investor. Then he goes on for a couple minutes on his thoughts on patriotism. I'm going to put that on youtube

torchbearer
06-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Peter commented on this last night on WS Unspun. He was asked about Warren Buffet not talking about getting out of the dollar anymore. He says Buffet is speaking as a patriotic American (in his mind) rather than a investor. Then he goes on for a couple minutes on his thoughts on patriotism. I'm going to put that on youtube

give us the link when you do!

qh4dotcom
06-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Peter's father isn't Peter's past. It is his father's past.
Funny no one brought up Prescott Bush when either of the george's ran for office.

I agree with you but tell that to the hundreds or thousands that will fall for his opponents' attacks.

ctiger2
06-11-2009, 01:51 PM
A couple grand??? Hahah. Schiff can put millions into the race.

IMO There's no way he'd be willing to part with "millions" to run this race. He'll be counting on grassroots support.

No1ButPaul08
06-11-2009, 02:01 PM
IMO There's no way he'd be willing to part with "millions" to run this race. He'll be counting on grassroots support.

He would have never told the blogger he could easily self-finance the race, if he didn't have a couple million to spend. He has since backed off a little saying he couldn't self-finance $20 million.

qh4dotcom
06-11-2009, 02:15 PM

People who aren't motivated to run and have to be persuaded to do so aren't likely to spend their own money. As far as I know RP didn't spend his own money last year. BJ Lawson who was eager to run, did spend $50,000 of his own money.

He Who Pawns
06-11-2009, 02:38 PM

What if putting in $3 million doubled his number of clients at Europac as a result of his profile being raised by the Senate race? Then his investment in the race would be well worth it.

heavenlyboy34
06-11-2009, 02:43 PM
What if putting in $3 million doubled his number of clients at Europac as a result of his profile being raised by the Senate race? Then his investment in the race would be well worth it.

That's why politics is known as "showbiz for the ugly". lolz! ;)

qh4dotcom
06-11-2009, 03:08 PM

If it was possible to do that...wouldn't he have been thrilled to announce he was going to run several months ago knowing that he'd be getting more new clients?

ctiger2
06-11-2009, 03:18 PM

$3 million is A LOT of money for advertising. I'd bet, if he does end up running, he'd stick $50-100K of his own on the line. And there's nothing wrong with that. You want money from the people to come in showing their support for him.

tron paul
06-12-2009, 03:29 AM
The CNBC crowd can't wait to invest in Schiff!