PDA

View Full Version : Would legalizing and taxing marijuana really bring in any money to the government?

Rael
06-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Wouldn't people just spend the money they were going to spend on other tax generating items on marijuana instead? Wouldn't it just be a wash?

On another note, am I the only one insulted by all this talk about medical marijuana? As I don't have the right to put what I want in my body just because I'm not sick?

Danke
06-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Wouldn't people just spend the money they were going to spend on other tax generating items on marijuana instead? Wouldn't it just be a wash?

On another note, am I the only one insulted by all this talk about medical marijuana? As I don't have the right to put what I want in my body just because I'm not sick?

Does the tobacco tax work? I would imagine a Marijuana tax could be similar.

tremendoustie
06-09-2009, 09:13 PM

No, because those people buy marijuana now anyway, sans taxes. And, the overwhelming majority of the money saved would be in enforcement and incarceration.

Dr.3D
06-09-2009, 09:14 PM
I believe the medical marijuana is just a foot in the door. That's why don't complain about it.
Really, I would like to see no laws at all about what I can eat, drink, breathe or put on my skin.

It's my body and I should be able to do what I want with it.

As for legalization and taxation, I can see where the government could get a lot of money from doing it. It would be a lot like what happened when they legalized alcohol, except it wouldn't be as damaging to those who used it.

Rael
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I believe the medical marijuana is just a foot in the door. That's why don't complain about it.

Sort of a Fabian approach? Today medical marijuana, tomorrow weed for everyone? I suppose that makes sense. But I get frustrated because the idea of marijuana for medical patients misses the point. It's not just about making sick people better, it's about giving people their freedom back.

Dr.3D
06-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Sort of a Fabian approach? Today medical marijuana, tomorrow weed for everyone? I suppose that makes sense. But I get frustrated because the idea of marijuana for medical patients misses the point. It's not just about making sick people better, it's about giving people their freedom back.

True, but give us an inch and we will take a mile. :D

gls
06-09-2009, 09:21 PM
I think the idea is the people who currently spend their money on black market marijuana will spend it on heavily taxed marijuana instead. Personally I wouldn't want to smoke any government-sanctioned bud. Now there's a reason to be paranoid.

Medical marijuana is an issue because it can and has actually passed state legislatures and voter referendums. From what I can tell, in California it's de facto legalization, since over 400K people have the cards. AFAIK doctors can prescribe it for headaches, insomnia, lack of appetite, etc., so a lot of people take advantage of that. But even where the laws are more strict certain terminally-ill people do greatly benefit from it, eating it or using a vaporizer.

Rael
06-09-2009, 09:22 PM
True, but give us an inch and we will take a mile. :D

Lol. It kind of reminds me of this documentary I watched the other day...this guy was buying medical marijuana and the film crew asked him what his medical problem was and he said something like, "Well, 15 years ago I dropped a heavy pallet on my finger."

eduardo89
06-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I love how it can be prescribed for a lack of apetite

Dr.3D
06-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Lol. It kind of reminds me of this documentary I watched the other day...this guy was buying medical marijuana and the film crew asked him what his medical problem was and he said something like, "Well, 15 years ago I dropped a heavy pallet on my finger."

And that darned finger still hurts when he doesn't have his medicine. :)

idirtify
06-10-2009, 12:40 AM

Since you believe that a person has the right to put what they want in their body, do you also believe that a person has the right to do what they want with their body?

idirtify
06-10-2009, 12:41 AM

Since you advocate giving people their freedom back, does that include the freedom to treat their body as their most private property?

Sean
06-10-2009, 01:10 AM
I can't see it bringing much tax money in unless they control who can grow it and distribute it. If its legalized to where everyone can grow their own how are they going to tax that.

idiom
06-10-2009, 01:15 AM
Do you grow your own tobacco?

Sean
06-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Do you grow your own tobacco?

I am going to start.

Anyways I think marijuana has a different culture. A lot of people already grow their own or have the know how to do it. People that don't grow their own do so for many reasons. I think one of the most important one is you are penalized harshly for doing so right now compared to just possessing a little bit for personal use. Also there is a difference between rolling a couple joints a day and 20-60 cigarettes. Also other forms of consumption are more popular. You don't see many people use pipes for tobacco anymore, but alternative forms are used more widely for marijuana. I haven't planted and cured my own tobacco, but I would guess marijuana is a lot easier and you need lower quantities.

dannno
06-10-2009, 01:28 AM

Yes, but to deny medicine to a sick person is much grosser misconduct by the govt. that denying people the freedom to ingest a substance that is widely believed to be toxic (it most certainly is not toxic..), so this is a first step.

Objectivist
06-10-2009, 01:37 AM

No it wouldn't be a wash when you have an immediate increase in revenue to the government coffers at all levels. Those incarcerated would be released, and that is State, Local and Federal. Next you'd have fewer police officers needed to enforce drug crimes at the DEA level and some of the State eradication programs would also go bye-bye. Not everyone is capable of growing their own or enough of it to sustain their habit so farms would be needed to produce enough to go around. Marijuana makes a great rotation crop for soil conditioning as well. Courts wouldn't have as many cases to hear.

Taxing anything is a bad idea all the way around and I do support drug decriminalization and no taxation. The only people making money now are the criminals.

jkr
06-10-2009, 06:37 AM
mm proves that cannabis should not be schedual 1.
it has medicinal value
and industrial value
and entertainment value...

jkr
06-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Since you advocate giving people their freedom back, does that include the freedom to treat their body as their most private property?

i think the idea is "don't tell me what to eat"

ceakins
06-10-2009, 07:35 AM
I can't see it bringing much tax money in unless they control who can grow it and distribute it. If its legalized to where everyone can grow their own how are they going to tax that.

Does everyone grow their own tobacco? Not everyone has a green thumb and is a farmer. Not everyone lives in an area where you could grow it outside year round. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to set up grow lights? And then the power they use? Yes I think people would buy it. Americans as a whole like convenience, and this is what this would be. Much easier to go down the road and buy some pot then grow it yourself.

TonySutton
06-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Does everyone grow their own tobacco? Not everyone has a green thumb and is a farmer. Not everyone lives in an area where you could grow it outside year round. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to set up grow lights? And then the power they use? Yes I think people would buy it. Americans as a whole like convenience, and this is what this would be. Much easier to go down the road and buy some pot then grow it yourself.

I agree, most Americans would rather drive down to the local Qwik-E Mart and buy a pack of joints. The only reason some grow it now is because they can't get it in a store and don't want to risk buying on the black market.

Imperial
06-10-2009, 10:00 AM
As long as it is low taxes, I don't see some taxation as a big deal. Hell, I'd see it as helping us to cut spending elsewhere.

Specifically, it helps address the criticism that we provide no solutions to problems, only criticism. We can list this as an area where we increase funding.

brandon
06-10-2009, 10:23 AM
It's not really feasible for someone who smokes a pack a day to grow all of their own tobacco, unless they live in the right climate and have plenty of property and time they can devote to it.

But weed on the other hand....people could get all the weed they need just by growing 2 plants every couple months.

Shami-Amourae
06-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Doesn't the gov't make more money by making it illegal? I mean the price is higher when it's illegal, so they help distribute it to the steets and make more $$$.

gls
06-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Doesn't the gov't make more money by making it illegal? I mean the price is higher when it's illegal, so they help distribute it to the steets and make more $$$.

I know there's a good deal of evidence implicating the CIA for crack cocaine distribution. I've never heard marijuana but it wouldn't be surprised me.

hotbrownsauce
06-10-2009, 10:41 AM
The government puts taxes on ciggs like crazy. They could put taxes on Marijuana, no doubt. The government will save money from prisons and law enforcement if marijuana was legalized. Some of the black market money used to purchase marijuana, instead of going person to person, will also go to the government in the form of a tax. There still might be a black market if the prices for marijuana is higher than what people can produce and sell on their own, or produce for themselves.

Liberty Rebellion
06-10-2009, 01:06 PM

It already does. Check out the CNBC program on it. Air times are on the right side of this page:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/28281668/

or go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/54312/cnbc-originals-marijuana-inc and skip to the second segment and they talk about how much money in State and Federal taxes that one shop pays.

Liberty Rebellion
06-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Exactly. Plus, most people have the capacity to make their own alcohol, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to do it. First, you have to be able to make it taste good. Some people don't have the time nor do they want to put forth the effort. Same with weed. People would rather spend their money on some good quality herb than trying and failing to do it themselves which would amount to a waste of time.

powerofreason
06-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Well I would certainly hope not but I don't see how it couldn't.

mrsat_98
06-10-2009, 02:15 PM
If it is legalized and taxed so many people will grow their own that taxing it will be impossible except for the zombies that think everything should be taxed.

gls
06-10-2009, 02:31 PM
If it is legalized and taxed so many people will grow their own that taxing it will be impossible except for the zombies that think everything should be taxed.

Many of the legislative proposals I've read want to tax it hundreds of dollars an ounce, keeping it on par with the black market price. Additionally, they also want to impose incredibly burdonsome regulatory requirements. Combined with the normal costs of doing business - store front, employees, insurance, etc. - I wouldn't be surprised if 'legal' weed turns out to be more expensive than what people currently pay their dealers.

satchelmcqueen
06-10-2009, 03:23 PM
if its ever legalized, im gonna grow it and sell it.

Objectivist
06-10-2009, 03:29 PM

How many people have a still in the garage?

Then I hear the debate over people raiding farms if it's legal, and while that might happen from time to time, I don't see people stealing cows because they like steaks. Salinas Valley grows a number of crops and produce theft rarely happens in the fields.

Objectivist
06-10-2009, 03:30 PM
if its ever legalized, im gonna grow it and sell it.

Good, I'll need a supplier for my "Coffee Shop".:D

idiom
06-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Not only that, but Pot plants stink. They really really stink.

Dr.3D
06-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Not only that, but Pot plants stink. They really really stink.

Ever touch a tomato plant? LOL...

specsaregood
06-10-2009, 07:02 PM
./

Dr.3D
06-10-2009, 07:07 PM
You didn't think poppies and opium were the only "illegal" thing they grew and produced in afghanistan did you?

Wow, poppies are illegal? I have a bed or Red Oriental Poppies in my garden. :eek:

specsaregood
06-10-2009, 07:25 PM
//

BillyDkid
06-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Don't know and don't care. It's irrelevant. The government has no business deciding what substances we may or may not use and it is certainly beyond absurd to ban a plant. I never like this tack of saying the government should legalize and then control and tax "drugs". There is not legitimate justification for any kind of prohibition in a free society.