PDA

View Full Version : im going on tour with my band and would love to meet up if anyone has anything going

BarryDonegan
06-09-2009, 03:29 PM
June 10th Louisville, KY - Uncle Pleasant's
June 13th Chicago, IL - The Metal Shaker
June 14th Dubuque, IA - 180 Main
June 15th Burnsville, MN - The Garage
June 16th Fargo, ND - Nestor Tavern
June 17th Rapid City, SD - Outlaw Venue
June 18th Casper, WY - The Eagles
June 19th Salt Lake City, UT - Baxter's Coffeehouse
June 20th Pocatello, ID - Ross Park Band Shell
June 21st Boise, ID - The Basement
June 22nd Spokane, WA - Empyrean
June 23rd Seattle, WA - The Funhouse
June 24th Eugene, OR - The Samurai Duck
June 25th Stockton, CA - The Black Water Cafe
June 26th Canoga Park, CA - The Cobalt Cafe
June 27th Long Beach, CA - DiPiazza's
June 28th Boyle Heights, CA - The BLVD
June 29th San Diego, CA - The Radio Room
June 30th Tijuana, MEX - 1979 Bar
July 01st Yuma, AZ - Modern Cultures
July 02nd Tucson, AZ - The Living Room
July 03rd Albuquerque, NM - Burt's Tiki Lounge
July 04th Amarillo, TX - The 10th Street Deli
July 05th Claremore, OK - King Of Blubs
July 06th Little Rock, AR - Circa 76 Music and Records
July 07th Memphis, TN - Murphy's (feat. The Adversary)
July 10th Clarksville, TN - The Coup
July 11th Bruceton, TN - Boondoocks Saloon Amphitheater
July 14th Cleveland, TN - The Lion's Den
July 15th Johnson City, TN - The Hideaway
July 16th Nashville, TN - The End
July 17th Columbia, TN - Atomic Rocket
July 18th Tullahoma, TN - K Street

if you're near any of these and know of anything going on, I am very active in Nashville, TN, and would love to meet people elsewhere for liberty networking purposes. especially if there is a tea party in town anyone could give me a ride to ;)

Danke
06-09-2009, 03:48 PM
"June 15th Burnsville, MN - The Garage"

Is that a youth center?

BarryDonegan
06-09-2009, 05:59 PM
it's an all ages venue of some kind.

Danke
06-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Let me know if ya need anything while your passing through.

eduardo89
06-09-2009, 06:32 PM
good luck on your tour, looks like an awesome trip

JK/SEA
06-09-2009, 06:46 PM
What kind of music. I'm near Seattle.

BarryDonegan
06-09-2009, 07:00 PM
www.myspace.com/lookwhatidid

that kind! haha

Paulitical Correctness
06-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Still one of the wildest sounding bands I've ever heard. <3

Matt Collins
06-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Barry - I think meeting up would be awesome. Oh... wait a minute.... ;)

Matt Collins
06-09-2009, 07:40 PM
But seriously, when you play in Nashville if you want I'd be happy to mix for you! 2 nights previous I'll be mixing the WallFlorowers at the Swamp in Florida.

rockandrollsouls
06-09-2009, 08:03 PM
June 10th Louisville, KY - Uncle Pleasant's
June 13th Chicago, IL - The Metal Shaker
June 14th Dubuque, IA - 180 Main
June 15th Burnsville, MN - The Garage
June 16th Fargo, ND - Nestor Tavern
June 17th Rapid City, SD - Outlaw Venue
June 18th Casper, WY - The Eagles
June 19th Salt Lake City, UT - Baxter's Coffeehouse
June 20th Pocatello, ID - Ross Park Band Shell
June 21st Boise, ID - The Basement
June 22nd Spokane, WA - Empyrean
June 23rd Seattle, WA - The Funhouse
June 24th Eugene, OR - The Samurai Duck
June 25th Stockton, CA - The Black Water Cafe
June 26th Canoga Park, CA - The Cobalt Cafe
June 27th Long Beach, CA - DiPiazza's
June 28th Boyle Heights, CA - The BLVD
June 29th San Diego, CA - The Radio Room
June 30th Tijuana, MEX - 1979 Bar
July 01st Yuma, AZ - Modern Cultures
July 02nd Tucson, AZ - The Living Room
July 03rd Albuquerque, NM - Burt's Tiki Lounge
July 04th Amarillo, TX - The 10th Street Deli
July 05th Claremore, OK - King Of Blubs
July 06th Little Rock, AR - Circa 76 Music and Records
July 07th Memphis, TN - Murphy's (feat. The Adversary)
July 10th Clarksville, TN - The Coup
July 11th Bruceton, TN - Boondoocks Saloon Amphitheater
July 14th Cleveland, TN - The Lion's Den
July 15th Johnson City, TN - The Hideaway
July 16th Nashville, TN - The End
July 17th Columbia, TN - Atomic Rocket
July 18th Tullahoma, TN - K Street

if you're near any of these and know of anything going on, I am very active in Nashville, TN, and would love to meet people elsewhere for liberty networking purposes. especially if there is a tea party in town anyone could give me a ride to ;)

This is music? No offense, but are you one of those bands that "tours" for dirt in venues like fire houses, youth group centers, and roller rinks with other bands that scream and sound the same for 15 year old kids in tight pants? :rolleyes:

eduardo89
06-09-2009, 08:34 PM
What's wrong with 15 year old girls in tight pants? ;)

rockandrollsouls
06-09-2009, 08:45 PM
What's wrong with 15 year old girls in tight pants? ;)

Actually, the new trend with the youth is guys wearing girls pants, belly shirts, and straightening their hair.

heavenlyboy34
06-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Actually, the new trend with the youth is guys wearing girls pants, belly shirts, and straightening their hair.

:eek: kids these days! :rolleyes:

rockandrollsouls
06-09-2009, 09:51 PM
:eek: kids these days! :rolleyes:

Yes....that and Che apparel seem to be what's "in."

brandon
06-09-2009, 10:23 PM
You guys sound great! If you ever come to the philly area I could definitely help book you guys a show with similar bands.

I'm also a big lightning bolt fan!

brandon
06-09-2009, 10:25 PM
This is music? No offense, but are you one of those bands that "tours" for dirt in venues like fire houses, youth group centers, and roller rinks with other bands that scream and sound the same for 15 year old kids in tight pants? :rolleyes:

Yea because if you don't tour exclusively in massive arenas and only have fans over the age of 21 you're definitely not playing real music. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Matt Collins
06-09-2009, 10:31 PM
This is music?What kind of ignorant question is that? :confused:

No offense, but are you one of those bands that "tours" for dirt in venues like fire houses, youth group centers, and roller rinks I don't see fire houses and roller rinks on the list, do you?

ThisCharmingAzn
06-09-2009, 10:31 PM
You guys sound great! If you ever come to the philly area I could definitely help book you guys a show with similar bands.

I'm also a big lightning bolt fan!

lightning bolt rules. do you know USAISAMONSTER? check them out, if not: YouTube - USAISAMONSTER at Brilliant Corners Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V7bs3rxfU4).

FSP-Rebel
06-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Barry, you should get an event @ Murphy's Taproom in Manchester, NH. Freestaters have a Taproom Tuesday night every week and you'd be welcomed heartily - especially if you're an RP supporter. PM me if ya like and I can put you in touch with the owner - who's a freestater and RP supporter. We had over 120 tonight for our celebration of the termination of the proposed seatbelt bill, though average attendance is like 50, not including the other patrons that attend that have no affiliation to us. In fact, this guy's bar/pub was the location that many have seen on youtube when RP was there after the St. Anselm's debate.

rockandrollsouls
06-09-2009, 10:59 PM
What kind of ignorant question is that? :confused:

I don't see fire houses and roller rinks on the list, do you?

Sorry, but the recordings wreak of studio trickery and I've never heard a screaming band like that sound good live, let alone see the small time ones play any reputable venues. That's cool if you want to go and play some shows with your garage band, but this music scene has gotten so out of control every band in this genre thinks they are on big popular tours. Mostly, they play for kids at bamboozle festivals.

Just my opinion. I'll admit I'm a music snob. Before I changed career paths I was going to school for jazz guitar performance and education. I just don't see how that is considered music and I think it's sad the genre can't replicate the absurd amount of pro tools tricks done to their recordings live. Let's hear some live recordings. The youtube video just posted sounds like garbage to me, but whatever. To each his own.

If you want me to put it into words we can understand here, there's not a market for that type of music beyond small time, coffee house and fire hall venues and a practically broke teenage audience. These bands aren't real touring bands...they're wanna-bes. :) Was dead on arrival.

YouTube - Look What I Did - Minuteman For The Moment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHX0qMuZ9wU&feature=related) sounds nothing like the recording. That's not touring, man. Come on. Not to mention the band's website is littered with nonsensical misinformation regarding music labels and the industry. Another self proclaimed "indy" band up it's own arse with preachy, empty messages that can't play their instruments. Stop hiding behind the indy vail as an excuse for not being able to play music. It's old and it's an image. The website wreaks of "We're indy and different. The big corporate record labels don't like us. You the people need to support us to prove them wrong." It's all BS. And, as a former music major, I can tell you that your self description of being a jazz hybrid is completely inaccurate. There is nothing "jazz" about anything in this slop. You're attempting to define poorly constructed compositions and it's not revolutionary or groundbreaking. Most importantly, it doesn't sound good.

If you're such a libertarian, you can understand why this "underground" music stays underground. The majority of people DON'T LIKE IT. No one is oppressing you or your style of music. The marketplace just doesn't want to buy it.

If you think I'm harsh get over it. It's well deserved, particularly considering we aren't supposed to advertise on the forums :rolleyes: Don't spam the grassroots central with your sloppy garage band to try and get press. It's obnoxious.

Paulitical Correctness
06-09-2009, 11:10 PM
^ Wow.

JK/SEA
06-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Sorry, but the recordings wreak of studio trickery and I've never heard a screaming band like that sound good live, let alone see the small time ones play any reputable venues. That's cool if you want to go and play some shows with your garage band, but this music scene has gotten so out of control every band in this genre thinks they are on big popular tours. Mostly, they play for kids at bamboozle festivals.

Just my opinion. I'll admit I'm a music snob. Before I changed career paths I was going to school for jazz guitar performance and education. I just don't see how that is considered music and I think it's sad the genre can't replicate the absurd amount of pro tools tricks done to their recordings live. Let's hear some live recordings. The youtube video just posted sounds like garbage to me, but whatever. To each his own.

If you want me to put it into words we can understand here, there's not a market for that type of music beyond small time, coffee house and fire hall venues and a practically broke teenage audience. These bands aren't real touring bands...they're wanna-bes. :) Was dead on arrival.

YouTube - Look What I Did - Minuteman For The Moment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHX0qMuZ9wU&feature=related) sounds nothing like the recording. That's not touring, man. Come on. Not to mention the band's website is littered with nonsensical misinformation regarding music labels and the industry. Another self proclaimed "indy" band up it's own arse with preachy, empty messages that can't play their instruments. Stop hiding behind the indy vail as an excuse for not being able to play music. It's old and it's an image. The website wreaks of "We're indy and different. The big corporate record labels don't like us. You the people need to support us to prove them wrong." It's all BS. And, as a former music major, I can tell you that your self description of being a jazz hybrid is completely inaccurate. There is nothing "jazz" about anything in this slop. You're attempting to define poorly constructed compositions and it's not revolutionary or groundbreaking. Most importantly, it doesn't sound good.

If you're such a libertarian, you can understand why this "underground" music stays underground. The majority of people DON'T LIKE IT. No one is oppressing you or your style of music. The marketplace just doesn't want to buy it.

If you think I'm harsh get over it. It's well deserved, particularly considering we aren't supposed to advertise on the forums :rolleyes: Don't spam the grassroots central with your sloppy garage band to try and get press. It's obnoxious.

This reads like a review i read for Led Zeppelin when they first came on the scene in the 60's....

Matt Collins
06-10-2009, 12:20 AM

That's not touring, man. Come on. Not to mention the band's website is littered with nonsensical misinformation regarding music labels and the industry. Another self proclaimed "indy" band up it's own arse with preachy, empty messages that can't play their instruments. Stop hiding behind the indy vail as an excuse for not being able to play music. It's old and it's an image. The website wreaks of "We're indy and different. The big corporate record labels don't like us. You the people need to support us to prove them wrong." It's all BS. And, as a former music major, I can tell you that your self description of being a jazz hybrid is completely inaccurate. There is nothing "jazz" about anything in this slop. You're attempting to define poorly constructed compositions and it's not revolutionary or groundbreaking. Most importantly, it doesn't sound good.

As someone who not only holds a 4 year degree in the music industry, lives in Nashville, and also works full time in the Industry (doing recording and live concerts), you have just shown that you don't have a clue what you are talking about!!!!

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Two things:

1.) If you guys want to ad some dates in the Eastern MD, lower DE or Eastern Virginia areas than please let me know and I can give you a hand. I have some musical management experience and also used to play in bands so I still know a few places I could get you booked into.

2.) Would you guys be willing to come here and do a concert for young voters as part of my campaign? I really want to do things differently and liven things up and I think having someone from this movement come here to put on a show or two would be a step in the right direction.

Bman
06-10-2009, 03:02 AM
But seriously, when you play in Nashville if you want I'd be happy to mix for you! 2 nights previous I'll be mixing the WallFlorowers at the Swamp in Florida.

Don't know if they still do it, but they did a real good version of "Won't get Fooled Again" .

carmaphob
06-10-2009, 04:59 AM

I happen to agree with a lot of what you are saying. That is whats happening nowwa days. Protools and Cubase have become very user friendly and interfaces have become cheap making it easy for band to get a professional sound. Every good band that is coming out now does the same things.

Imo I don't like this music, but in parts of that video it doesn't sound that bad, just poor recording quality.

Bill M DC
06-10-2009, 05:50 AM
What? Nothing in DC? Black Cat, Velvet Lounge?

BarryDonegan
06-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Sorry I can't quote anyones responses directly I'm stuckin on a crappy mobile device.

Wed love to play the campaign event and the free state spot, we have done some things like that before and its great fun.

And yes lightningbolt, usaisamonster, all those rich noise bands are wonderful music, and for the jazz background of modern experimental bands that who use CHROMATIC chords and scales is definately there :)

For those who are debating the commercial viability of experimental music that uses promoters that favor the 100-400 capacity venues I can assure you that I have 10 or more full US Tours and thousands of records, shirts sold to counteract that claim :p, we just don't spend a half million dollars on promo like our major label counterparts. We don't dislike corporate labels because we heard its bad on the internet, we dislike tem because we did a deal with one and their business model was foolish. They wasted 150,000$ on the wrong type of promo despite us begging them not to. They spent all their money on mtv television shows when a niche genre band makes more sense with big web promo campaign.

In fact the indie music scene is pretty much an argument FOR free markets rather than corporatism. We are the mom and pop stores of bands.

:)

Wed love to play all the places described, next time we roll up the east coast into the northeast well swing thru

Is anyone doing anything in amarillo tx on 4th of july? Or az or any of those places on the 2 or 3? I wanna get my tea party on

Also if anyone in KY today has some rand paul swag I have a lot of people I can proselityze to PM me if so

Nirvikalpa
06-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Will you get your butt to NYC, please!?

(or anywhere near that) :P

brandon
06-10-2009, 10:49 AM
///

dannno
06-10-2009, 11:09 AM
OMG, that is a busy trip..

Closest to me is Canoga Park, but I have some friends in Long Beach so I could go visit them that weekend and go to that show instead.

What instrument do you play?

Do you mind people yelling "Ron Paul!!! YEAAAHhh!!" in the middle of your shows?

dannno
06-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Did you ever see "Ernest Goes to Camp" ?? 1987...

It's nothing new.

dannno
06-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Sorry, but the recordings wreak of studio trickery and I've never heard a screaming band like that sound good live, let alone see the small time ones play any reputable venues.

Ghengis Tron kicks ass.

Wow, based on your ignorant post, this is definitely a band I want to see. MySpace and youtube are blocked, so I have no idea what they sound like, but if you hate them then they must be REALLY GOOD!!

Brian4Liberty
06-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Sorry, but the recordings wreak of studio trickery...

Damn dude, who shit in your Cornflakes? Music is in the ear of the listener, and you can't tell people what they like, or what is "real" music.

And the Beatles never used studio "trickery"?

As for studio vs. live, sometimes they are identical, sometimes they aren't. Good live sound for heavy music is hard, even for the pros. They aren't a String Quartet playing Carnegie Hall.

The vast majority of bands never go anywhere, but at least they have some fun doing it. I hear you about music being full of egos and bs, but why bring that up here? You can say the same about Politics...

rockandrollsouls
06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
As someone who not only holds a 4 year degree in the music industry, lives in Nashville, and also works full time in the Industry (doing recording and live concerts), you have just shown that you don't have a clue what you are talking about!!!!

Audio engineering isn't exactly a degree in the music business ;)

Just so you know, I would have rather played full time than fiddling with equipment (not my thing.) Was paying a lot to go to a prominent school, decided I needed a marketable skill, and changed my path. I did teach for a prolonged amount of time, by the way. I still play regularly and get paid a great to do so. Come down to AC or a big venue and PAY to see us sometime....

What do you consider studio trickery? Editing and mixing tracks digitally to no end so you can't recognize the song when a band like this plays it live, or using session musicians? Beatles did use session musicians, but at least the members could play their stuff live.

And Barry, how much are you going to walk away with at the end of this tour? I know a few people in bands like this and give them the same, if not more flak. They come home nearly broke and talk to me like I'm stupid using the same indie label preachy nonsense. Fact of the matter is no matter how much they want to believe they are rockstars. They aren't.

Furthermore, chromaticism does not jazz make. You just don't know what you're playing, and like many untrained musicians you hear something uncharacteristic or throw a clean tone with reverb on your guitar and call it "jazz." It's not.

Anyway, my point is a really don't care what music you play or where you play it. However, you're not supposed to advertise on the forums. And, if you're blatantly going to do that I'm going to take you up on your post and tear you down. What really agitates me is that underground band attitude that states you're against the grain and you've not risen to prominence because you've chosen not to and you're "indy." We get it; you're artsy, different, revolutionary, and you absolutely know the music theory behind those horrible sounding licks you're playing. It's not bad musicianship; you're just like Dillenger! You're geniuses or something, like Mussorgsky. Soon you'll be as groundbreaking as Zeppelin (there is a difference, Zep actually knew what they were playing and could play it live.) You're just too revolutionary and groundbreaking for the "corporate" industry. They just can't handle you so you need to tear them down with the underground scene full of broke teenagers and stoner college kids who also think they are different.

No, the fact of the matter is no one wants to sign you and pay you money. There are bands just like you on major labels. Look at Roadrunner.

So cliche.

rockandrollsouls
06-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Damn dude, who shit in your Cornflakes? Music is in the ear of the listener, and you can't tell people what they like, or what is "real" music.

And the Beatles never used studio "trickery"?

As for studio vs. live, sometimes they are identical, sometimes they aren't. Good live sound for heavy music is hard, even for the pros. They aren't a String Quartet playing Carnegie Hall.

The vast majority of bands never go anywhere, but at least they have some fun doing it. I hear you about music being full of egos and bs, but why bring that up here? You can say the same about Politics...

Not so much the music I dislike as the blatant unabashed advertising in the grassroots and the endless reasoning and rambling to justify their genre and how they are "indie" and the corporate labels are against them. For a band that preaches against corporate music, labeling, and imaging, this band is pretty good at creating a image all their own instead of just going out and playing music they proclaim to love. Turncoats.

Danke
06-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Not so much the music I dislike as the blatant unabashed advertising in the grassroots and the endless reasoning and rambling to justify their genre

He wasn't doing either.

The OP:

Title: im going on tour with my band and would love to meet up if anyone has anything going

Body: "if you're near any of these and know of anything going on, I am very active in Nashville, TN, and would love to meet people elsewhere for liberty networking purposes. especially if there is a tea party in town anyone could give me a ride to"

Brian4Liberty
06-10-2009, 12:08 PM
...the endless reasoning and rambling to justify their genre and how they are "indie" and the corporate labels are against them. For a band that preaches against corporate music, labeling, and imaging, this band is pretty good at creating a image all their own instead of just going out and playing music they proclaim to love. Turncoats.

I guess I missed something. This is the first thread I have seen about Barry's band...

My band is opening for a Puppet show, but I won't post the dates. :D ;)

rockandrollsouls
06-10-2009, 12:34 PM
He wasn't doing either.

The OP:

Title: im going on tour with my band and would love to meet up if anyone has anything going

Body: "if you're near any of these and know of anything going on, I am very active in Nashville, TN, and would love to meet people elsewhere for liberty networking purposes. especially if there is a tea party in town anyone could give me a ride to"

You're sooooo right. Posting a thread that says "I'm going on tour with my band" IN THE GRASSROOTS and posting a full list of "venues", dates, and the band link isn't advertising.

And clearly you didn't read Barry's last post in which he talks about "corporate" labels, nor did you read the blogs on the band's site. They even have a writeup about guys in girls pants on there. Give me a break. Delete this thread it's nothing but spam.

If you want to research and listen to his band on your own, do so. Get this out of the grassroots forum, though.

Danke
06-10-2009, 12:42 PM
You're sooooo right. Posting a thread that says "I'm going on tour with my band" IN THE GRASSROOTS and posting a full list of "venues", dates, and the band link isn't advertising.

And clearly you didn't read Barry's last post in which he talks about "corporate" labels, nor did you read the blogs on the band's site. They even have a writeup about guys in girls pants on there. Give me a break. Delete this thread it's nothing but spam.

If you want to research and listen to his band on your own, do so. Get this out of the grassroots forum, though.

:rolleyes:

He can't respond to others asking him questions, I see.

Matt Collins
06-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Audio engineering isn't exactly a degree in the music business ;)Again your ignorance is showing because you don't know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

See this:
http://recordingindustry.mtsu.edu/about.html

What do you consider studio trickery?That's a subjective term. What do you consider painting trickery? When an artist does other things besides stroking a brush on canvas does that mean it's no longer "art"? :rolleyes:

And Barry, how much are you going to walk away with at the end of this tour?What kind of rude question is that?! :confused: :rolleyes:

Tell me what YOUR income last year was.

However, you're not supposed to advertise on the forums. And, if you're blatantly going to do that I'm going to take you up on your post and tear you down. Wow... someone has a miserable life. You need counseling, seriously.

And by the way, asking people to meet up with him is not really advertising. :rolleyes:

Brian4Liberty
06-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Get this out of the grassroots forum, though.

So this all boils down to a request to move the thread to another sub-forum like "off-topic"? Should have said so.

rockandrollsouls
06-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Again your ignorance is showing because you don't know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

See this:
http://recordingindustry.mtsu.edu/about.html

That's a subjective term. What do you consider painting trickery? When an artist does other things besides stroking a brush on canvas does that mean it's no longer "art"? :rolleyes:

What kind of rude question is that?! :confused: :rolleyes:

Tell me what YOUR income last year was.

Wow... someone has a miserable life. You need counseling, seriously.

And by the way, asking people to meet up with him is not really advertising. :rolleyes:

1. A degree in audio engineering doesn't guarantee a profession in "the industry." I know a few successful people who've made it without a degree, and I know a few people that wasted large sums of money in degree mills such as Berklee, MIT, and even Juliard. The only truly professional musician I know that went to school for music came out of Curtis. Furthermore, just because you have a degree in audio engineering doesn't make your opinion any more valid than mine. You're a sound guy for hire for random bands that come through your area.

2. Your painting analogy is terrible. When digital recording software is used to create something the band cannot replicate, I consider that trickery. Continuing with that thought, this band preaches against corporate music which does the same thing they do; use pro tools and cubase tricks to create recorded music they can't perform.

3. I don't care if it was rude. If you post a thread for your garage band in the grassroots and pass yourself off as being a professional musician I'll question it.

4. You've got some nerve critiquing me, Collins, when you're easily one of the most detested people on the board. Just figured I'd fire that one back at you considering you want to play that game. How many threads have YOU been bashed in and I've actually had your back a few times.

What do you consider a miserable life? I'm happy and prosperous. Just because I think it's pathetic this guy is promoting his band in a thread that is used to get things done relating to this movement and I called him on it for breaking forum rules doesn't make me miserable. I like your double standard; you can voice your opinion here but I can't because I'm a dissenter. Then again, I wouldn't put that past you, Matt.

Just because I disagree doesn't mean I'm miserable. Disliking something doesn't make a person miserable :rolleyes: You've got a lot of nerve, buddy.

rockandrollsouls
06-10-2009, 01:10 PM
So this all boils down to a request to move the thread to another sub-forum like "off-topic"? Should have said so.

Basically, but so long as it's around and people are riding it I figured I'd toss in my two cents :). I figure my dissenting opinion is worth just as much for being heard as those who think this is music.

Matt Collins
06-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Furthermore, just because you have a degree in audio engineering doesn't make your opinion any more valid than mine. You're a sound guy for hire for random bands that come through your area. No that's incorrect. I've toured the country working for some of the largest and well known acts around.

When digital recording software is used to create something the band cannot replicate, I consider that trickery. Again your ignorance is showing. Being "digital" has nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

Continuing with that thought, this band preaches against corporate music which does the same thing they do; use pro tools and cubase tricks to create recorded music they can't perform.ALL bands use digital recording platform such as Cuebase and ProTools. It's 2009, it's a fact of life. :rolleyes:

3. I don't care if it was rude. If you post a thread for your garage band in the grassroots and pass yourself off as being a professional musician I'll question it.I know Barry personally, and he is a professional musician. In fact he's a fellow officer in the Nashville GOP.

4. You've got some nerve critiquing me, Collins, when you're easily one of the most detested people on the board. Just figured I'd fire that one back at you considering you want to play that game. Ahh yes, the truth comes out. You have ulterior motives for attacking me. LAME.

What do you consider a miserable life? I'm happy and prosperous.
Just because I disagree doesn't mean I'm miserable. Disliking something doesn't make a person miserable :rolleyes: You've got a lot of nerve, buddy.Riiight. Because putting down someone who has put their art out front and center says a lot about your self-esteem and personality (or lack there of).

You are a pathetic individual.

dannno
06-10-2009, 02:18 PM
They come home nearly broke and talk to me like I'm stupid using the same indie label preachy nonsense. Fact of the matter is no matter how much they want to believe they are rockstars. They aren't.

Some of the best shows I've been to were independent local bands, and when you hear their music on album it sounds kinda ok, and bad live recordings on youtube sound horrible, but a live show is better than any album of any mainstream band in existence. It's hard to judge if you aren't actually there.

Not every indie band rocks, but they are some of the best bands I have ever heard. In fact I've been to a ton of concerts lately, all independent bands, and all very amazing shows.

Here is Genghis Tron that I posted about earlier:

YouTube - Genghis Tron - Things Don't Look Good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLOz22NDxjI)

You CAN find some descent live videos of these guys, believe it or not..

YouTube - Genghis Tron "Arms" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKIhuCuGOz8&feature=related)

I saw these guys recently, they are amazing to watch live, though they don't do use effects like Genghis Tron:

Oso

YouTube - Oso Band at BiCi Centro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrY7zSm1cKY)

This is going to take about 30 seconds to get your bearings straight, so fasten up tight:

YouTube - OSO SANTA BARBARA, CA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvT6XUP0Fw&feature=related)

Bman
06-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Some of the best shows I've been to were independent local bands, and when you hear their music on album it sounds kinda ok, and bad live recordings on youtube sound horrible, but a live show is better than any album of any mainstream band in existence. It's hard to judge if you aren't actually there.

There's a difference between being a good stage performer and being a good studio performer. And the best are always better live.

Not every indie band rocks, but they are some of the best bands I have ever heard. In fact I've been to a ton of concerts lately, all independent bands, and all very amazing shows.

Indie, main stream. It always depends on the band. Personally, I think indie is better environment for performers. Sure going corporate may get you too a big stage fast, but those with true talent will make it to any stage they want.

Here is Genghis Tron that I posted about earlier:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

dannno
06-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Fixed it for you.

revolutionary8
06-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the heads up Barry. I like what you have to offer, and thank you for the offering.
Geeeeeze r&r, you kinda suck. I've seen you around here, :D pooty tootying about, and what in GOD'S NAME makes you think you know what is being bootayyynged on the yo yo?
see my sig poser, MY sig isn't filled with names on a message board that pissed me off, allthough, if it was, I'd put your "name" first.
f'in reTARded.
I'd invite you to the next neighborhood calf fry if it weren't only for "dear" friends that were "worthy"...

ThisCharmingAzn
06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Most of this thread just seems silly - people arguing over whether vanilla or chocolate is better (vanilla is better!). No but seriously, we're talking about art here, where the idea of "good" and "bad" do not exist the same for two or more individuals. Less bickering, more listening. I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing something that we all seem to have a passion for.

On that note, anyone here a fan of "Comets On Fire"?

Bill M DC
06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Washington, DC has a great Indie music scene.