PDA

View Full Version : Michigan success, lining the docks

Johnnybags
09-22-2007, 07:01 AM
ublished September 22, 2007
[ From Lansing State Journal ]
Republicans descend on Mackinac Island

MACKINAC ISLAND - Michigan Republicans convened Friday on Mackinac Island amidst a sea of Ron Paul supporters. Paul, a Texas congressman and one of seven GOP presidential hopefuls attending the biennial state Republican leadership conference, unexpectedly recruited supporters who lined the docks at the Lake Huron island's harbor and swarmed the Grand Hotel.

The large following in Mackinac is especially sweet for Paul because state GOP Chairman Saul Anuzis tried to get him removed from televised debates because of views that run counter to most Republicans. "This will be a test for us," Paul said earlier Friday in an interview with the Detroit Free Press editorial board.

In contrast, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani had fewer visible supporters at the conference, but created a buzz merely by getting on one of the ferries to the island in mid-afternoon.

GOP meets on island
Hopefuls show star power as they seek edge

September 22, 2007

BY DAWSON BELL

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

MACKINAC ISLAND -- Michigan's most famous island resort was swarming with Republican celebrities Friday as the biennial state party convention played host to its leading presidential candidates, all seeking an edge with the locals for the state's Jan. 15 convention.

All the headliners in the field -- former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, U.S. Sen. John McCain of Arizona, former U.S. Sen. Fred Thompson and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (along with one famous noncandidate, former Speaker Newt Gingrich) -- are scheduled to appear and were backed by squads of staff and supporters.

Advertisement
But the most surprising presence for conference-goers arriving on the island was the swarm of supporters of maverick U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, a libertarian-leaning congressman from Texas. Paul, who is almost unknown nationwide and usually polls in the low single digits against his better-known rivals, has become something of an Internet phenom.

Paul's supporters were in evidence Friday, lining the highways to the straits with signs and cheering their hero at the Grand Hotel.

The outpouring seemed to surprise Paul.

"This will be a test for us," Paul said earlier Friday, in an interview with the Free Press editorial board. "We may have a dozen supporters up there; we may have a couple dozen. And they'll all be excited."

The Paul boomlet is likely to die quickly, however, as his supporters depart and the name candidates take the stage.

Giuliani was the featured speaker at dinner Friday.

He had fewer visible supporters at the conference, but created a buzz merely by getting on one of the Starline ferries mid-afternoon. Ferry employees lined up for photographs with him.

During his speech, he reminded Republicans who may not share his liberal social views of his successful record as a mayor and commitment to keeping the United States on the offense in what he called the "Islamic terrorists' war on us."

Giuliani has limited support from prominent Republicans in Michigan, and named a state political director only this week. But he told diners Friday that he is best-suited of all the Republican candidates to make Michigan competitive against the Democrats in 2008, mentioning his archrival New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton repeatedly.

Among those who found Giuliani's pitch convincing was Dan Pero of Laingsburg, a top strategist for former Gov. John Engler in the 1990s. Pero said Giuliani is the only Republican who can mount a truly national campaign.

ItDoesNotStopWithRonPaul
09-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Wait, so the candidate with the biggest presence of supporters at EVERY event ACROSS THE NATION cannot build a national campaign?

We need to keep the momentum going, but I think we are already ahead of the "top tier." Our supporters actually recruit people ON THEIR OWN DIME, so they are worth 10 times more than a casual Ghouliani supporter.

Dary
09-22-2007, 07:44 AM
...amidst a sea of Ron Paul supporters.
....swarmed the Grand Hotel.
...swarm of supporters of maverick U.S. Rep. Ron Paul
Thank you, thank you, thank you and BIG UPs to all the Michigan supporters.

It makes me very proud that there is this level of support from my home state.

Johnnybags
09-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Wait, so the candidate with the biggest presence of supporters at EVERY event ACROSS THE NATION cannot build a national campaign?

We need to keep the momentum going, but I think we are already ahead of the "top tier." Our supporters actually recruit people ON THEIR OWN DIME, so they are worth 10 times more than a casual Ghouliani supporter.

it must be for Guiliani to be swarmed with Paul supporters as a supposed frontrunner and the party playing along like the emperor with no clothes in complete denial. Rudy marches thru the sea of Paul supporters naked, and they cannot see it? And we all know its only going to get worse for them.

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-22-2007, 08:07 AM
the most surprising presence for conference-goers arriving on the island was the swarm of supporters of maverick U.S. Rep. Ron Paul
This should no longer be a surprise, as it happens everywhere Ron Paul goes. When are they going to learn? Sigh.

speciallyblend
09-22-2007, 09:08 AM
The Death Of The GOP is starting ,if they ignore Ron Paul.

TexMac
09-22-2007, 09:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFy--JHgYIw

Syren123
09-22-2007, 09:13 AM
The Death Of The GOP is starting ,if they ignore Ron Paul.

And as I've said before, if that happens, it deserves to die. You can't keep swallowing poison forever.

WTG Michigan!!

speciallyblend
09-22-2007, 09:31 AM
And as I've said before, if that happens, it deserves to die. You can't keep swallowing poison forever.

WTG Michigan!!

Totally TRUE

michaelwise
09-22-2007, 09:41 AM
That video was freaking great!

M.Bellmore
09-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Is there any video from the Mackinaw event?

smtwngrl
09-22-2007, 10:00 AM
This should no longer be a surprise, as it happens everywhere Ron Paul goes. When are they going to learn? Sigh.

Yeah, I'm sure they aren't very informed about what is going on with Ron Paul's campaign, when he travels around. They just got their first glimpse with his visit to their state. ;)

mkrfctr
09-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Ditto on video. I hope a ton of colleges will get the message out and that the kids will actually register republican if needed and then actually go to the polls. I think some effort on the part of making sure they do that might be helpful ala getting the old people out to vote. Is it illegal to do like in Mexico and have "party busses" that drive around ... and they just *happen* to have stops at polling places? lol, that might do wonders... :-)

pcosmar
09-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey now,
I just got back from there. What a great time. High energy, good folks, and Ron Paul.
I am hoping to see the videos, I saw cameras.
I got my picture taken with Dr.Paul, and had a silly grin. I was having a great time.
He is a really nice guy.
OK, back to work.

Lord Xar
09-22-2007, 02:51 PM
not a peep about Ron Paul from yahoo..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070922/ap_po/republicans_michigan

Can someone tell me how it was comparetively crowd wise between the candidates and their crowd responses...

pcosmar
09-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Sorry, these pics don't show the whole crowd.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1435/1423263422_daf8a21045_b.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1139/1423268060_4295defc2e.jpg
There were folks spread all over.
The crowd was, "Enthusiastic".