PDA

View Full Version : Unions

Benhogan
09-22-2007, 02:10 AM
I'm curious. Anyone know what Ron Paul's stance on unions are

I'm a union member.... but I have mixed feelings about them though. I find them to be, like big government, beaurocratic and inefficient. And it bugs the heck out of me that my dues are being spent to support the democratic party, and I have no say in it.

Anyone know?

JosephTheLibertarian
09-22-2007, 02:21 AM

I'm a union member.... but I have mixed feelings about them though. I find them to be, like big government, beaurocratic and inefficient. And it bugs the heck out of me that my dues are being spent to support the democratic party, and I have no say in it.

Anyone know?

His stance? Let them be. No government support though.

Starks
09-22-2007, 02:25 AM
Bottom line: Don't expect RP to be at your picket line...

JosephTheLibertarian
09-22-2007, 02:53 AM
He wouldn't suppress unions, nor would he "fight" for them, he would just let them do their own thing.

unaffiliatedvoter
09-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Ron Paul has supported the Right To Work legislation, which would prevent unions from keeping people that didn't want to pay the union dues from working.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Ron Paul has supported the Right To Work legislation, which would prevent unions from keeping people that didn't want to pay the union dues from working.

troll. false information

guntherg16
09-22-2007, 04:13 PM

Anyone know?

Right to work must be free of coercion (http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=56)

Here's a quote from the link above:

Unions should be allowed to exist, as long as they are voluntary agreements between the people involved. In fact, we don't need more regulations on the unions or the employers or the employees. In fact, we need fewer regulations on the kinds of employment agreements people can reach, and allow people to choose whom they wish as their representative, if they so choose.

Unions can serve a beneficial service to employees and even employers. But never should unions have the benefit of the government force giving them power; that is intolerable.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Right in line with my own beliefs.

guntherg16
09-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Right in line with my own beliefs.

Mine too.

dircha
09-22-2007, 05:58 PM

Anyone know?

There's a common feeling among free market advocates that unions somehow don't fit in a limited government, free market economy.

Unions in theory have everything to do with a free market economy. Voluntary unionization is merely collective bargaining. Corporations participate in collective bargaining for goods and services every day. Collective bargaining for labor is no different.

The only thing that doesn't fit is federal and state laws providing undue leverage to unions, and that has to end.

Another related issue is right-to-work laws. While right to work laws vary from state to state, the limited government, free market position is against so-called right to work laws. Right to work laws prevent laborers and corporations from freely entering into contracts that set conditions for future hiring. While I believe it is generally disadvantageous for a corporation to enter into the sort of contract proscribed by right to work laws, it is nonetheless none of the government's business to either tell them whether or not they may, or to bail them out after they have.

I would be disappointed to learn that Ron Paul has come out in support of state right-to-work laws. Yes, "right to work" sounds good, but its implementation is absolutely none of the government's business.