PDA

View Full Version : Police Officer Encounter in Fox River Grove, IL

thechitowncubs
06-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I took the time on a Friday to go stand on the side of Route 14 at the intersection of Route 22 in a northwest suburb of chicago and was harassed by a police officer.

I was holding a sign standing on the side walk... within 45 minutes a popo turned around and stopped his car in the middle of a busy highway. The sign read:
RON PAUL 2012

He pulled over and asked what I was doing... "I'm holding a sign, officer"
He asked for my papers (ID)... I said, "No"
Finally gave him my ID because he was threatening to put my hands in a cage.
He goes to look up my information...
Then a girl walks up telling me shes studying to be a lawyer and wants to stand and watch.
I say... "Go right ahead... thanks for doin this on a friday afternoon"
I turn my head and see a backup officer meander his way to the dangerous situation (sign holder and lawyer girl observer talking to police officer).
The backup officer was visibly stoned. The other guy had sunglasses on.
I asked if it was illegal to hold a sign... He spat out so many excuses, and more excuses... one being that I'm a distraction waiting to cause an accident... ok, Mr. Parks Car in Highway.
He could have easily parked his car in the Walgreens parking lot like the backup officer did... maybe so the cars during rush hour on a friday afternoon could drive without a popo blocking a lane.

I fold my sign and go home.

Figures...

phill4paul
06-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Did ya get her number? I don't believe in consequences.;):D

Feelgood
06-05-2009, 06:25 PM
He probably thought you were a nut job, since RP isnt even going to be running in 2012! :rolleyes:

thechitowncubs
06-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Did ya get her number? I don't believe in consequences.;):D

She ended up being my neighbor... =D

John of Des Moines
06-05-2009, 07:31 PM
A sign "End the Fed" or "Audit the Fed" would likely have you looking not so big of a nut job. And, fyi I lived about 20 miles east and 3 mile south of your locale.

phill4paul
06-05-2009, 07:43 PM
She ended up being my neighbor... =D

And there ya have it. I predict a political activist will spread the seeds of pure, unadulterated, freedom with a "certain" lawyer activist and that seed shall be called LIBERTY!

thechitowncubs
06-05-2009, 08:02 PM
A sign "End the Fed" or "Audit the Fed" would likely have you looking not so big of a nut job. And, fyi I lived about 20 miles east and 3 mile south of your locale.

Looking like a clean cut nut job gets in peoples heads around hur =D

fletcher
06-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Next time leave your ID in your car.

thechitowncubs
06-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Next time leave your ID in your car.

Is it true that you have to give a police officer an ID?

evilfunnystuff
06-07-2009, 01:21 AM

according to the aclu it depends on local laws and ordinances your new studying to be a lawyer friend can more than likely help you find any local codes related to this type of activity

angelatc
06-07-2009, 02:21 PM

I thinkit still depends on the state. I believe that you must identify yourself verbally.

Dr.3D
06-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Next time, hold a sign saying, "The end is near" and see if any cops try to stop you from holding it.

He Who Pawns
06-07-2009, 02:38 PM
You should do this again, and videotape the whole thing.

No tooobs = FAIL.

fletcher
06-07-2009, 03:04 PM

You don't have to have an ID to stand on the side of a road. You have to give them your name if they ask for it, but that is all.