Imperial
06-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Property rights
Anti-red light cameras
Limit spending
Transparency

UtahApocalypse
06-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Recently, the mayor of my small town of 5,000 resigned due to personal conflicts that he did not wish to disclose. So now they're looking for a replacement, which will be decided by a caucus of a small group of individuals.

The only requirements: you must live within the city, which is just barely, you must be a registered Democrat, which I'm assuming can be changed from Republican without much hassle, and you must be at least 21 years old, which I am just a few years under. So these past few days, I've been talking my father into running, and he has yet to object.

So what should a mayor of the freedom movement stand for, and promote? My dad was a Ron Paul and Bob Barr voter this past election cycle, just as I was, and I have no doubt that he could adopt a similar philosophy of local government as most other libertarians.

And as of two days ago, no one has applied to run for mayor. Though I don't doubt that someone will eventually file for the seat, under the party machine of the Democrats. Anyway, any tips and encouragement would be appreciated, as I have no idea where we should go from here, or whether or not it will even happen.

Seems that there has to be some conflict with federal election law. I would look into this as it seems very odd.

Texan4Life
06-05-2009, 05:40 PM
must be a registered democrat??

WTF

Gage
06-05-2009, 07:31 PM
must be a registered democrat??

WTF
The past mayor was a Democrat, and the caucus that will choose the mayor is I believe completely affiliated with our local Democratic affiliate. Though I'm just guessing about that second part. And I'm only going by what the local news reported, so it may not be entirely accurate.

I'm sure as the process goes on though, more info will become available.

UtahApocalypse
06-05-2009, 07:53 PM
The past mayor was a Democrat, and the caucus that will choose the mayor is I believe completely affiliated with our local Democratic affiliate. Though I'm just guessing about that second part. And I'm only going by what the local news reported, so it may not be entirely accurate.

I'm sure as the process goes on though, more info will become available.

No voice of the people? No special election? just some Mayor leaves for "personal" reasons and the Democrat party can seat who they want? There is NO way this is legal imn America. I would start looking into local, state, and federal election laws. Find the cities by-laws and ordinances and read up if they show how a mayor should be replaced. This is just way out in left field!

surf
06-05-2009, 07:56 PM
good luck. let us know the city and you might find someone here that has a city or region specific solution if "decriminalize pot" isn't a wining platform there.

Gage
06-05-2009, 10:49 PM
good luck. let us know the city and you might find someone here that has a city or region specific solution if "decriminalize pot" isn't a wining platform there.
The city is (filler), Indiana. And if you want to query the County Election Board you can call [no longer available], just don't mention my name or anything. But please let me know if you do contact them.

the biss
06-06-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm doing something similar in that our mayor WAS going to run unopposed again. My platforms are sustainability, fiscal responsibility, and liberty. Here is a link to my website for your to peruse. http://www.DavidForMayor.

I hope your pop decides to run. It's important for freedom minded people to get into office, or at a minimum RUN for office so that the message of liberty is not lost.

Hamer
06-06-2009, 09:39 AM
This is called a special election and will be voted upon by your precinct people ie : council. The way this works is if you run in a special election unopossed then you automatically win the seat even if you receive no votes. If oppossed whom ever gets the majority votes wins. If more than 2 run and there is no majority of votes for any candidate then ONLY the top 2 go to the next vote and who ever gets the most votes win.

Knightskye
06-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Go for it, dude. Let me know if you need some campaign funds. ;)