PDA

View Full Version : Kucinich Got an amendment to his Audit the Fed Bill PASSED!

tajitj
06-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Amendment Would Open the Books of the Federal Reserve’s Recent Intervention in Financial Markets

Washington D.C. (June 4, 2009) – Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) today won adoption of an amendment to H.R. 2646, The Government Accountability Office (GAO) Improvement Act of 2009. The Kucinich amendment would grant the GAO the authority to audit the Federal Reserve’s response to the financial crisis. The amendment was adopted unanimously in a committee markup of H.R. 2646 by the Oversight and Government Reform Committee.....

Read rest here.
http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/43277

cheapseats
06-04-2009, 06:25 PM
http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/43277

...This amendment will finally provide some transparency by giving the GAO the authority to conduct detailed reviews of the Fed’s crisis-related interventions in financial markets,” said Kucinich...

In case anyone is getting lost in the alphabet maze, GAO stands for Government Accounting Office.

FINALLY, the government looking into the government.

Yeah man, we've got 'em on the run NOW.

sailor
06-04-2009, 06:27 PM
In case anyone is getting lost in the alphabet maze, GAO stands for Government Accounting Office.

:D Nice.

olehounddog
06-04-2009, 06:30 PM
authority to audit the Federal Reserve’s response to the financial crisis.

Looks pretty limited in what it will look into.

Zippyjuan
06-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Government Accountability Office. It used to be the General Accounting Office. The name was changed in 2004.

amy31416
06-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Completely and utterly awesome Dennis! Keep it up!

cheapseats
06-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Government Accountability Office. It used to be the General Accounting Office. The name was changed in 2004.

My bad, thank you.

When one considers the extraordinary upswings in centralization and heavy-handedness, GENERAL is certainly a logical change.

But ACCOUNTABILITY? That's either a real hoot, or we need to talk about Truth In Advertising. And come to think of it, we DO need to talk about Truth In Advertising.

What I wanna know is who sits around concocting name changes and form changes. I don't know about anyone else's financial advisor/brokerage firm, but mine (BY FAR, the largest paper generator in my sphere) has changed the look of its statements, the numbering system of accounts, log-in procedures, you name it, more times than I can remember. Always new checks and cards arrive, with an inexplicable abundance of envelopes. For what? There is ZERO correlation between that busy-work and capital performance. Either that, or there is a negative correlation, in the vicinity of 50%. Kingpins walked with mega-bonuses, one in three figures.

I could be a good name thinker upper. I wonder what kind of compensation package the American taxpayers are offering.

Imperial
06-04-2009, 07:45 PM
If we get this and HR 1207 passed then there are no vague questions left. Some say one or the other is too vague- pass them both and we cover it all!

cheapseats
06-04-2009, 08:00 PM
If we get this and HR 1207 passed then there are no vague questions left. Some say one or the other is too vague- pass them both and we cover it all!

Does not also HR 1207 call for the Fed to be audited by the GAO?

slacker921
06-04-2009, 08:23 PM
hang on.. if I'm reading that right he got an amendment passed.. to a bill that has NO co-sponsors (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2646).. ??

JoshLowry
06-04-2009, 08:25 PM
hang on.. if I'm reading that right he got an amendment passed.. to a bill that has NO co-sponsors (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2646).. ??

I think that's correct.

They are trying to screw Ron Paul's bill up by giving this one legs.

Edited thread title.

hugolp
06-05-2009, 12:18 AM
I think that's correct.

Edited thread title.

Exactly my thoughs.

If they let congress audit something wihtout importance they think they will stop support for Ron Paul's bill.

cheapseats
06-05-2009, 08:05 AM
I

Recalling that Dennis Kucinich threw his support, and proactively encouraged his supporters to throw THEIR support to Barack Obama on the cusp of the sham Iowa Caucuses -- venue of Barack Obama's BIG-NEH-DECIDING BOUNCE -- I am also inclined to view this grandstanding as an orchestrated effort to steal thunder.

The thing is, Ron Paul's thunder isn't altogether booming on this legislation, either.

Government auditing government is as meaningless as police conducting investigations on themselves. NOT meaningless, in fact. It further corrodes public confidence that is already hanging by a thread.

Why do the oppressed never press their advantages, I wonder. Are they more tired, or more scared?

I apprehend that a certain segment of the citizenry is itching for a fight, and that a LARGE segment of the population is open to suggestion. Rather than do this in the usual milquetoast way, serially -- where a hollow victory is followed by a watering down is followed by inadequate appropriation is followed by shelving is followed by memory loss is followed by fresh outrage is followed by re-introduction is followed by a scramble for who gets credit, is followed by the same circular debate is followed by a new anemic version -- double up the efforts on THIS, instead of fundraising.

'WAIT, hold the phone, are you kidding me?! I just realized that NEITHER bill calls for a COMPREHENSIVE AND INDEPENDENT audit of the Fed! Are you legislators INSANE, or are you poised to drape another coverup??!!'

Emilio Estevez in The Mighty Ducks, "Take the fall. Act hurt. Get indignant!"

From the same movie:

Frank Huddy: I don't mind losing, I would just like to lose fair.
Gordon Bombay: Losing fair is still losing, Frank!

Gordon Bombay: You think losing is funny?
Les Averman: Well, not at first, but once you get the hang of it.

Aratus
06-05-2009, 08:12 AM
kucinich did a very nice thing!
does this set the stage up for
the passing of 1207 and 2424?

cheapseats
06-05-2009, 08:20 AM
kucinich did a very nice thing!
does this set the stage up for
the passing of 1207 and 2424?

I will argue that Kucinich did a very political thing.

brandon
06-05-2009, 08:22 AM
He got an amendment to a bill he wrote passed? Why would you even want to amend your own bill? Did he change his mind about something?

Maybe the aliens told him to change it.

Non story.

Aratus
06-05-2009, 08:32 AM
does this open up a positive vote on 2424 and 1207...?

cheapseats
06-05-2009, 08:33 AM
He got an amendment to a bill he wrote passed? Why would you even want to amend your own bill? Did he change his mind about something?

Maybe the aliens told him to change it.

Non story.

Story.

Why, indeed? Oh, wait, I just remembered something else? That would speak to disorganization and/or ineptitude in his mind and/or among his staff.

Why did Barack Obama launch his rocket to stardom with two books rather than one? Oh, wait, I just remembered that I have this whole OTHER cache of wisdom?

Double your exposure, double your celebrity. Just LOOK at what a prolific legislator I am -- legislating, legislating all the time. Re-elect ME.

Aratus
06-05-2009, 08:35 AM
if kucinich has the actual moxie to next get his 2424 bill passed,
and gives ron paul's 1207 the added momentum, the three pieces
of legislation if all passed give any audit of the FED added teeth...

cheapseats
06-05-2009, 08:36 AM
if kucinich has the actual moxie to next get his 2424 bill passed,
and gives ron paul's 1207 the added momentum, the three pieces
of legislation if all passed give any audit of the FED added teeth...

Without independent audit, it's another dog and pony show. Read that, another expense.

Brassmouth
06-05-2009, 11:37 AM

Monopoly institution in charge of overseeing the Monopoly institution.

Yeah, this will work out fine. :rolleyes:

Who watches the Watchers?

You people crack me up.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

acptulsa
06-05-2009, 11:40 AM
You people crack me up.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well I thought her sarcasm was quite funny, myself. What's the matter, you can dish it out but you can't take it?