PDA

View Full Version : Dubai to Buy NASDAQ Stock Market? WTF?

wgadget
09-21-2007, 07:29 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/20/business/worldbusiness/20exchange.html?ex=1347940800&en=d49870ccb89155e6&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

RP4ME
09-21-2007, 09:07 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/20/business/worldbusiness/20exchange.html?ex=1347940800&en=d49870ccb89155e6&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

this si so not okay - let me count the ways...are we worried about terrorism in whatever form or are we not - they can bring us to our knees financially as well....This is outrageous.:mad:

james1906
09-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Perhaps we should contract the Secret Service to Dubai as well.

wgadget
09-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Sold COMPLETELY down the river....WWRPD?

(What Would Ron Paul Do?)

LibertyEagle
09-21-2007, 09:23 PM
It seems to me that the infrastructure of our entire country is up for sale to the highest bidder. I wonder if we're allowing them to do this, because of all our debt and how very much of it is owned by foreign countries. They could bring us to our knees with a snap of their fingers.

We wouldn't have used to have allowed such a thing. What happened to our national security? Or does that only come into play when we want to attack another country who hasn't attacked our own?

Abobo
09-21-2007, 09:29 PM
They aren't "buying" it, they are buying a 20-30% share. There's a big difference.

What's bad with another country having an investment in our country? If more countries did this it would greatly reduce the risk of war, because any war would hurt both parties greatly. Just look at us and China, we trade and invest so much with them we would never dream of going to war.

RP4ME
09-21-2007, 09:52 PM
They aren't "buying" it, they are buying a 20-30% share. There's a big difference.

What's bad with another country having an investment in our country? If more countries did this it would greatly reduce the risk of war, because any war would hurt both parties greatly. Just look at us and China, we trade and invest so much with them we would never dream of going to war.

Umm THEY are the Carlyle Group - do you not see the conflict of interest there? And re: the shares it all starts somwhere.....
:(

ItsTime
09-21-2007, 09:58 PM
i say let a private bank get control of our dollar that makes about as much sense...wait...

Abobo
09-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Umm THEY are the Carlyle Group - do you not see the conflict of interest there? And re: the shares it all starts somwhere.....
:(

Let's say worst case scenario is they do something like close down the NASDAQ. ( that would be ignoring the fact that they would have to get a majority of the stock, control the board, and they would lose their investment ) While that may be a huge pain in the ass, it would be possible to either open a new market or the companies could just change their listing to the NYSE. It wouldn't be the end of the world.

Let's say they also take over the NYSE and close that too. Then someone will start a private stock exchange and make a f*** load of money from all the corporations getting listed. Every company on the NASDAQ or NYSE wants to be publicly traded, and if all else fails they will partner to create a new market. The biggest hurdle with switching markets would be SEC, but I think they would change their rules in the event of something of this magnitude.

fluoridatedbrainsoup
09-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Do you all realize that our national parks are collateral for our debt right now? People that say our country is being sold right out from under us are not in the least exaggerating.

cjhowe
09-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Let's say worst case scenario is they do something like close down the NASDAQ. ( that would be ignoring the fact that they would have to get a majority of the stock, control the board, and they would lose their investment ) While that may be a huge pain in the ass, it would be possible to either open a new market or the companies could just change their listing to the NYSE. It wouldn't be the end of the world.

Let's say they also take over the NYSE and close that too. Then someone will start a private stock exchange and make a f*** load of money from all the corporations getting listed. Every company on the NASDAQ or NYSE wants to be publicly traded, and if all else fails they will partner to create a new market. The biggest hurdle with switching markets would be SEC, but I think they would change their rules in the event of something of this magnitude.

Exactly. It amazes me at times how upset people can get over things they understand nothing about. So long as one can enforce the terms of the sale of securities, there's not much to a stock market.

RP4ME
09-21-2007, 11:03 PM

Sounds like a super smooth transition shoudl that happen they way you describe it - easy as pie..only I dont think it woudl be that simple - Im not saying it cant be circumvented with teh formation of a new mkt, but it would be highly disruptive....30% is still leverage.....you have to examine the relationship they have with other shareholders.....to see how much it really could be....I dunno _ I am just in the camp that is sick of US companies and infrastructure being sliced and diced and served on a silver platter by us to eager vultures.....It Will bite us at some point...And US parks are US parks - screw the UN puuting up their signs on our parks....dont forget that bush is gunning to give away ALL our Sea rights to the UN??? Smart military move eh? Im just tired - i long for the good ol days ! - It doesnt feel so good to be colonized by the arabs....and i have my congressmans offices on speed dial.......i cant keep up with the sham bills and sneaky maneuverings....

Abobo
09-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Sounds liek a super smooth transition shoudl taht happen - easy as pie...I dont think it woudl be that simple - Im not saying it cant be circumvented but it woudl be highly disruptive....30% is still leverage.....you have to examine teh relationship they have with other shareholders.....to see how much it really could be....I dunno _ I am just in the camp that is sick of US companies and infrastructure being sliced and diced and served on a silver platter by us to eager vultures.....It Will bite us at some point...And US parks are US parks - screw the UN puuting yp theri signs on our parks....dont forget that bush is gunning to give away ALL our Sea rights to the UN??? Smart military move eh? Im just tired - i long for the good ol days ! - It doesnt feel so good to be colonized by the arabs....

Don't mix the US government selling off our land or assets with a business venture. They are two completely separate things.

It doesn't matter who owns a corperation they will always operate to maximize profits through optimiztion -- and that's GOOD! If the new owners fail to run the business correctly they will fall prey to their competition. It's that simple. In a free market you don't need to worry about this sort of stuff. If someone tries doing something stupid the market will eat them alive.

You may argue that we don't have a free market. That's very true, but what you should be mad at is not people investing or buying corporations you should be mad at the needless regulations that keep the market from operating correctly.

fluoridatedbrainsoup
09-21-2007, 11:34 PM
The Chinese and International bankers own the country now, through our enormous debt to them. But we are still allowed to rent the land with the property tax. The best deal is to find a cave with access to a spring and bring ye some charcoal so you can do cave paintings in your long hours. But really, I don't think one can accrue taxes from someone deep inside a cave. It's where the fashionable people went in all of the Matrixes to avoid the energy tax of the machines. And the Nazis also did that, slipped under the ice in Antarctica with meddling aliens contacted through channeling and so on. It's all perfectly clear.

TheDuke
09-22-2007, 03:10 AM
This thing isn't important, it's just how the market works... if they would want to, they could ruin the US anyway, they don't need the NASDAQ for that.