PDA

View Full Version : Comprehensive list of nuclear sites accidentally posted online...

Reason
06-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Comprehensive list of nuclear sites accidentally posted online...

Whoops....

YouTube - Gov't Posts Sensitive List of US Nuclear Sites (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iLg52I-p2k)

http://media.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/images/2009/june/cat_bag_430.jpg
I CAN HAZ NUKULAR PROLIFURASHUN: Now stay in that bag and don't come out!

On days like this, I bet the Government Printing Office (GPO) wishes it had a giant undo button for the entire Internet - that, or Superman-like abilities to zoom around the earth and turn back time.

A couple of days ago, a blogger at the Federation of American Scientists' Secrecy News blog noticed that the GPO had posted a document on its Web site called "The List of Sites, Locations, Facilities And Activities Declared To The International Atomic Energy Agency."

Publishing government documents is the GPO's bread and butter, of course. But in this case, there was a problem - the document contained sensitive, not-intended-for-the-public information on literally every nuclear facility in the United States.

Apart from the potential economic benefit the release could have for the makers of Pepto Bismol and Xanax, the error has become a major embarrassment for the feds. While security experts debate the potential impact of the publishing mistake, it serves as yet another opportunity to break out the cliches: The genie is out of the bottle. The cat's out of the bag. You can't stop the signal. Pandora's box and all that. Because when it comes to the Internet, there's no such thing as a retraction. Once it's out there, it's out there, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

When the FAS blog wrote about the document, they linked to it on the GPO Web site. The GPO realized it had committed the faux pas and removed the document. So the FAS quickly took the copy of the PDF that they'd saved - just in case - and posted it on their own server. (At the time of writing, the FAS Web site is slow as molasses, given how everyone and their dog is trying to download the document.)

One commenter on the site questioned their decision to publish it. "Any plans to do your country a favor and remove this document?" he asked. The question is moot, though, as someone has already put a copy of it on WikiLeaks, which in turn placed it on servers around the world, from Latvia to Tonga.

For the sake of argument, let's say the U.S. government managed to cajole the Latvias and Tongas of the world to have their local copies of the document removed. But even that wouldn't stop the - ahem - proliferation of the document, as now it's also out there on the TOR network. For those of you not familiar with TOR, it's a system for protecting online dissidents from their own governments, rendering their online activities and content anonymous by hopping from one random server to another, so it's impossible to trace the point of origin. In other words, the cat is so far out of the bag, it's left the neighborhood, and no amount of tuna will ever bring it back.

And the cat's had kittens.

torchbearer
06-03-2009, 03:44 PM
maybe this is something else "they can protect us from" by taking away more of our liberties.

RideTheDirt
06-03-2009, 06:01 PM
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Message-from-the-President-to-the-Congress-regarding-the-International-Atomic-Energy-Agency/

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary

--------------------------------------------
For Immediate Release May 5, 2009

TO THE CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES:

I transmit herewith a list of the sites, locations, facilities, and activities in the United States that I intend to declare to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), under the Protocol Additional to the Agreement between the United States of America and the International Atomic Energy Agency for the Application of Safeguards in the United States of America, with Annexes, signed at Vienna on June 12, 1998 (the "U.S.-IAEA Additional Protocol"), and constitutes a report thereon, as required by section 271 of Public Law 109-401. In accordance with section 273 of Public Law 109-401, I hereby certify that:

(1) each site, location, facility, and activity included in the list has been examined by each department and agency with national security equities with respect to such site, location, facility, or activity; and

(2) appropriate measures have been taken to ensure that information of direct national security significance will not be compromised at any such site, location, facility, or activity in connection with an IAEA inspection.

The enclosed draft declaration lists each site, location, facility, and activity I intend to declare to the IAEA, and provides a detailed description of such sites, locations, facilities, and activities, and the provisions of the U.S.-IAEA Additional Protocol under which they would be declared. Each site, location, facility, and activity would be declared in order to meet the obligations of the United States of America with respect to these provisions.

The IAEA classification of the enclosed declaration is "Highly Confidential Safeguards Sensitive"; however, the United States regards this information as "Sensitive but Unclassified."

Nonetheless, under Public Law 109-401, information reported to, or otherwise acquired by, the United States Government under this title or under the U.S.-IAEA Additional Protocol shall be exempt from disclosure under section 552 of title 5, United States Code.

BARACK OBAMA

THE WHITE HOUSE,
May 5, 2009.

# # #
A New Era of Responsibility: FY 2010 Budget
Go to Recovery.gov
Read the blog
More Information on the Strong Middle Class Task Force

So, can we impeach this douche yet?

Objectivist
06-03-2009, 06:06 PM
They didn't list the DOE Security assets did they?

By the way I knew this was coming when Obama was elected. He's anti-nuclear energy and this is step one of the plan to kill nuclear power.

angelatc
06-03-2009, 06:24 PM
So who has a link to the document?

Reason
06-03-2009, 06:30 PM
They didn't list the DOE Security assets did they?

By the way I knew this was coming when Obama was elected. He's anti-nuclear energy and this is step one of the plan to kill nuclear power.

Had nothing to do with Obama...

http://www.wikileaks.org/

Objectivist
06-03-2009, 06:31 PM

I hear Ramsey Al Kaboom has a copy.

Objectivist
06-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Had nothing to do with Obama...

http://www.wikileaks.org/

He is the POTUS is he not?

Matt Collins
06-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Comprehensive list of nuclear sites accidentally posted online...Does anyone honestly think that someone who spent a few hours on Google couldn't compile this information anyway!?!? :confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reason
06-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Download available here.

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Obama_IAEA_nuclear_sites_declaration_for_the_Unite d_States%2C_draft%2C_267_pages%2C_5_May_2009

akihabro
06-05-2009, 01:22 AM
I've already know the closet 2 nuclear power plants to my house. I guess they are worried this info could have gotten into the hands of some freedom loving patriot. I was planning on taking over the closest nuclear plant all by myself with my trusty BB gun. Oh well I guess they will increase security now that these sites were leaked. I think I'll have to prepare myself with stink bombs as well.