View Full Version : 3rd Republican Enters Race for US Senate in KY

Matt Collins
06-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Third Republican Enters Senate Race
Gabe Bullard June 3, 2009, 12:57 pm

A third Republican has entered the race for U.S. Senator Jim Bunning’s seat.
Todd County businessman Bill Johnson joins Bunning and retired engineer Roger Thoney as declared candidates in the 2010 GOP primary.

Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson and Bowling Green optometrist Rand Paul have both formed exploratory committees for a possible race, but they say they won’t run unless Bunning drops out.

“I certainly invite them to join,” Johnson says. “They have their exploratory committees and they’re out raising funds but I would like to see them get in the race. Let’s see where they stand on the issues, let’s talk about the issues and let’s see who’s best able to represent the needs of Kentucky.”

Johnson says he understands their reluctance to face the two-term senator, but he decided last month not to wait for other opponents to enter the race.

“And I also thought the Senate seat was an important seat. It was one we have to keep as Republicans. I respect Senator Bunning a lot, but I think it is time for new leadership.”

Johnson says he needs to raise about $200 thousand by the end of the year to compete.

“I’m going to run a very fiscally conservative campaign,” he says. “What I have always thought to be very interesting is that many candidates will talk about fiscal conservatism, yet they will spend enormous sums of money trying to reach the office.”

State Senate President David Williams has also expressed interest in the primary.

On the Democratic side, Attorney General Jack Conway, Lieutenant Governor Daniel Mongiardo and former customs agent Darlene Fitzgerald Price are all in the race.

06-03-2009, 12:24 PM
More people drawing resources and support away from Bunning is a good thing.

Time for Change
06-03-2009, 12:30 PM
The dilution of the field begins...yet again

Matt Collins
06-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Divide and conquer :D:D:D

06-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Rand's website shows up all strange on my comp for some reason.

06-03-2009, 01:15 PM
More candidates favors Rand.

06-03-2009, 01:16 PM
The dilution of the field begins...yet again

trust me, I believe in the primary- our numbers have a limit, but they are committed numbers. The more candidates the better in the primary.

06-03-2009, 01:41 PM
What browser are you running?

internet explorer (at work).

Matt Collins
06-03-2009, 02:06 PM
internet explorer (at work).That's your first problem. Use Firefox! ;)

He Who Pawns
06-03-2009, 02:14 PM
So his main focus is fiscal conservatism? That seems redundant to Rand's campaign.

06-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know how Kentucky's federal election is ran?
Does plurality win in a primary? Or is it majority? -like if no one gets 50% +1, then the top two candidates run-off?

06-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Winner takes all.... No run-off.

plurality could be very good for Rand with many candidates.
you could win a race with 25% with enough candidates.

erin moore
06-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Could someone do a more in-depth explaination of the benefits of a mulit candidate primary race? I get where you're coming from but the political strategy aspects of it still are fuzzy to me. Can't that end up in voter fatigue?

06-04-2009, 07:34 AM
is Bill Johnson a relative of thahhh "KYNGE ANDY" who was sorta like Auld Hickory... you know...the guy who in 1808 is born in Raleigh,

http://www.kentuckybill.com/ this makes the race for the senate even more intense... and
i'm sorta wondering if the above dude a relative of the famous post-revolutionary war era politician?
http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/generic/VP_Richard_M_Johnson.htm by the time we find a south carolina
colonial governor whose last name was johnson... or even a signer of the dec' of independence...

Matt Collins
06-04-2009, 08:11 PM
LibertyEagle pointed this out to me - Just for clarification ( the article got it wrong) Rand is a MD - an ophthalmologist.