PDA

View Full Version : article: "Will Higher Education Be the Next Bubble to Burst?"

emazur
06-02-2009, 10:47 PM
remember, Celente called it first:
http://chronicle.com/free/v55/i37/37a05601.htm

Aurelia
06-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Yes, it will. Maybe not the next one to burst, but today the limitations of students are breaking down. If you can choose to learn from world class teachers (MIT), why go to Ohio State? I read somewhere that most colleges are going to have to learn to specialize in a niche to be able to sustain themselves. Plus, you honestly do not need a college education for so many jobs today--like those based off the internet (though it can help), and those which you can teach yourself. It may be worth it to do the latter, these days.

Further, classical education is dying, and no longer exists in universities, for the most part. How many students don't even bother going to class, studying, etc. They have no reason to even be in college because it was what they were "supposed" to do. There is still the idea that you just need to get the pigskin, and THEN you are free to live your life, but I think more and more people are choosing to live life now rather than later.

But hey, I've been wrong before, society has been wrong before.

SimpleName
06-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Yes, it will. Maybe not the next one to burst, but today the limitations of students are breaking down. If you can choose to learn from world class teachers (MIT), why go to Ohio State? I read somewhere that most colleges are going to have to learn to specialize in a niche to be able to sustain themselves. Plus, you honestly do not need a college education for so many jobs today--like those based off the internet (though it can help), and those which you can teach yourself. It may be worth it to do the latter, these days.

Further, classical education is dying, and no longer exists in universities, for the most part. How many students don't even bother going to class, studying, etc. They have no reason to even be in college because it was what they were "supposed" to do. There is still the idea that you just need to get the pigskin, and THEN you are free to live your life, but I think more and more people are choosing to live life now rather than later.

But hey, I've been wrong before, society has been wrong before.

Good points. Everybody today seems to be living more for now than later, hence why college has become just another responsibility...an extension of high school. People just party through college, don't learn anything, and go out into a crowded job market with no real education. Of course, why live life later when the outlook is so bleak? The future right now looks unfathomable dim.

heavenlyboy34
06-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I think the College bubble will burst soon (and Tom Woods agrees with me, he told me so over the phone several months ago :) )

tron paul
06-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Enough of the $30,000 - $500,000 union cards! There are no jobs that want them anymore.

Stop wasting young Americans' lives on SAT prep courses, Feminist Studies propaganda regurgitation, and Post-Gender dormitories that are nicer than recent graduates' apartments.

College has become remedial high school, turning out illiterates that think their bellybutton BA entitles them to a cushy job pushing paper in an air-conditioned Feng Shui'd eco-office.

jclay2
06-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Enough of the $30,000 - $500,000 union cards! There are no jobs that want them anymore.

Stop wasting young Americans' lives on SAT prep courses, Feminist Studies propaganda regurgitation, and Post-Gender dormitories that are nicer than recent graduates' apartments.

College has become remedial high school, turning out illiterates that think their bellybutton BA entitles them to a cushy job pushing paper in an air-conditioned Feng Shui'd eco-office.

It is funny that you mention BA's. I think nationally only 15% of college graduates graduate with a BS as opposed to a BA. It is not surprising though when you see how much easier it is to get a BA.

torchbearer
06-13-2009, 08:24 PM
It is funny that you mention BA's. I think nationally only 15% of college graduates graduate with a BS as opposed to a BA. It is not surprising though when you see how much easier it is to get a BA.

In Sociology- you only get a BA, there is no need to take all the biology and chemistry classes for sociology.
A BA doesn't mean you are stupid or less than a BS, it just means you are in a study that doesn't require a lot of biology and chemistry classes.

jsu718
06-13-2009, 09:13 PM
It's still only 25% of people that get any kind of college degree... I don't see any reason that it would be called any sort of "bubble"