PDA

View Full Version : MIAC report under review

disorderlyvision
06-02-2009, 10:40 PM
http://www.news-leader.com/article/20090602/NEWS01/906020341/MIAC+report+under+review

A special House committee has been formed to investigate the inner workings of a state agency that produced a controversial report linking some social conservative views to militia membership.

State Rep. Bob Dixon, R-Springfield, will chair the committee during the interim between legislative sessions.

The Missouri Information Analysis Center's Feb. 20 report created a nationwide firestorm among conservatives because it indicated people who favor small government, refuse to pay taxes, oppose abortion and oppose illegal immigration have tendencies to join violent militias.

The report also alleged that militia members tended to vote for Republican U.S. Rep. Ron Paul and third-party candidates like Libertarian Bob Barr and Constitution Party candidate Chuck Baldwin for president in the 2008 election.

State officials later apologized to Paul, Barr and Baldwin for being singled-out by name in the report.

House Speaker Ron Richard has charged the committee with probing oversight measures the Missouri State Highway Patrol put in place following an outcry in March over the internal report, which was leaked by someone in law enforcement to bloggers and the media.

"The real emphasis is going to be on what oversight is currently in place, rather than going back and rehashing the report and the details of the report," Dixon said. "What I don't want it to become is a witch hunt on law enforcement who are doing their due diligence to keep citizens safe."

Richard, R-Joplin, appointed 16 House members to the interim panel, including Dixon and fellow Greene County Reps. Shane Schoeller and Jim Viebrock.

The committee may hold its first meeting in Jefferson City as early as next week. Dixon intends to hold hearings across the state this summer and fall.

Schoeller, R-Willard, said MIAC and Highway Patrol employees should not view the committee's scrutiny of their intelligence gathering as a witch hunt .

"If you've done what you think is the right thing to do, there should be nothing to be afraid of," he said.

(2 of 2)

During the first hearing, patrol officials will be invited to testify to the committee about procedures they have put in place to check the accuracy of information put in MIAC intelligence reports about terrorism or criminal threats.

Viebrock, R-Republic, said he intends to grill state bureaucrats about the content of the report, which the patrol officially retracted on March 25.

"I'm personally going to demand some of the intelligence they're looking at," Viebrock said.

State officials have never answered questions about who authored the report and where they got their information. Many sentences in the militia report are strikingly similar to phrases and summaries contained in a 2005 Southern Poverty Law Center "intelligence report" titled "Terror From The Right."

Viebrock said he got many complaints from constituents about the report's contents and generalizations of conservative thought. He wants to know whether the MIAC report was based on actual intelligence, not information swiped off the Internet.

"If that is the entirely basis of their existence, then as a legislator I will join my fellow legislators and we will put an end to it," Viebrock said. "To accuse God-fearing, anti-abortion, gun-toting Americans as terrorists is unacceptable.

During the first hearing, patrol officials will be invited to testify to the committee about procedures they have put in place to check the accuracy of information put in MIAC intelligence reports about terrorism or criminal threats.

Viebrock, R-Republic, said he intends to grill state bureaucrats about the content of the report, which the patrol officially retracted on March 25.

"I'm personally going to demand some of the intelligence they're looking at," Viebrock said.

State officials have never answered questions about who authored the report and where they got their information. Many sentences in the militia report are strikingly similar to phrases and summaries contained in a 2005 Southern Poverty Law Center "intelligence report" titled "Terror From The Right."

Viebrock said he got many complaints from constituents about the report's contents and generalizations of conservative thought. He wants to know whether the MIAC report was based on actual intelligence, not information swiped off the Internet.

"If that is the entirely basis of their existence, then as a legislator I will join my fellow legislators and we will put an end to it," Viebrock said. "To accuse God-fearing, anti-abortion, gun-toting Americans as terrorists is unacceptable."

hotbrownsauce
06-02-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm glad there will be an investigation.

Reason
06-02-2009, 11:48 PM

indeed!

Original_Intent
06-03-2009, 06:30 AM
This isn't a witch hunt....is that a wart on your nose? :D

specsaregood
06-03-2009, 06:42 AM

Not that I have as of yet donned my tin foil hat; but strange coincidence that this comes up as news again the same week that a right-wing anti-abortion guy commits terrorism by killing an abortion doctor, right next door to MO too. Which led to headlines such as Suspect in Kansas abortion doctor's slaying reportedly belonged to anti-government militia (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-tiller-suspect2-2009jun02,0,5499521.story) Funny how life has these interesting coincidences...

cheapseats
06-03-2009, 06:53 AM
http://www.news-leader.com/article/20090602/NEWS01/906020341/MIAC+report+under+review

A special House committee has been formed to investigate the inner workings of a state agency that produced a controversial report linking some social conservative views to militia membership.

State Rep. Bob Dixon, R-Springfield, will chair the committee during the interim between legislative sessions.

The Missouri Information Analysis Center's Feb. 20 report created a nationwide firestorm among conservatives because it indicated people who favor small government, refuse to pay taxes, oppose abortion and oppose illegal immigration have tendencies to join violent militias.

The report also alleged that militia members tended to vote for Republican U.S. Rep. Ron Paul and third-party candidates like Libertarian Bob Barr and Constitution Party candidate Chuck Baldwin for president in the 2008 election.

State officials later apologized to Paul, Barr and Baldwin for being singled-out by name in the report.

House Speaker Ron Richard has charged the committee with probing oversight measures the Missouri State Highway Patrol put in place following an outcry in March over the internal report, which was leaked by someone in law enforcement to bloggers and the media.

"The real emphasis is going to be on what oversight is currently in place, rather than going back and rehashing the report and the details of the report," Dixon said. "What I don't want it to become is a witch hunt on law enforcement who are doing their due diligence to keep citizens safe."

Richard, R-Joplin, appointed 16 House members to the interim panel, including Dixon and fellow Greene County Reps. Shane Schoeller and Jim Viebrock.

The committee may hold its first meeting in Jefferson City as early as next week. Dixon intends to hold hearings across the state this summer and fall.

Schoeller, R-Willard, said MIAC and Highway Patrol employees should not view the committee's scrutiny of their intelligence gathering as a witch hunt .

"If you've done what you think is the right thing to do, there should be nothing to be afraid of," he said.

(2 of 2)

"If that is the entirely basis of their existence, then as a legislator I will join my fellow legislators and we will put an end to it," Viebrock said. "To accuse God-fearing, anti-abortion, gun-toting Americans as terrorists is unacceptable.

"If that is the entirely basis of their existence, then as a legislator I will join my fellow legislators and we will put an end to it," Viebrock said. "To accuse God-fearing, anti-abortion, gun-toting Americans as terrorists is unacceptable."

That's a swell step in the right direction, but it's NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Militia Membership is no more subversive than social conservativism, and substantially less incendiary than Mob Rule.

THEY ARE STILL PLAYING MILITIA AGAINST THE ROPES.

This approach seeks to distinguish mamby pamby suburbanite disgruntled from the disgruntled that might actually DO something about being disgruntled.

BEING A MEMBER OF THE UNITED STATES MILITIA IS AN HONOR AND A DUTY, NOT A RED FLAG FOR DISCRIMINATORY OPPRESSION.

In my considered opinion, it is the Militia standing willing AND PREPARED to defend the American Constitution -- read that, THE INALIENABLE RIGHTS OF AMERICAN CITIZENS -- that keeps this administration's race to full-blown Communism from becoming a demolition derby.

Cowlesy
06-03-2009, 06:54 AM

I highly doubt the lawmakers will be allowed to see the sources for the MIAC report, which in my mind undoubtedly includes SPLC BS.

pacelli
06-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Government successfully investigate anything? Please.

ghengis86
06-03-2009, 07:00 AM

government agency invetigates then clears other government agency...

sort of like SCOTUS; thieves in black robes rules in favor of government thieves

Merk
06-03-2009, 07:00 AM
"A special House committee has been formed to investigate the inner workings of a state agency that produced a controversial report linking some social conservative views to militia membership."

And what exactly is wrong with being a militia member? We are all militia members at the end of the day. Constituitionally protected.

It is amazing what a good propaganda job the SPLC did on linking militia membership to racism etc. Folks just have it drilled in their heads that militia = racist. An error of logic... All dogs have tails therefore anything that has a tail is a dog.

pacelli
06-03-2009, 07:02 AM

sort of like SCOTUS; thieves in black robes rules in favor of government thieves

You bet!!!

cheapseats
06-03-2009, 07:03 AM

Same problem with HR 1207.

SWATH
06-03-2009, 07:05 AM

"Don't worry people, we have investigated ourselves, found no evidence that we did anything wrong, and thus have absolved ourselves of any charges. Rest assured that had we decided we had in fact done something wrong, we would have punished ourselves to the fullest extent of the law that we had written to oversee ourselves."

tonesforjonesbones
06-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Why aren't they also looking into the Anti Defamation League??? They go around to law enforcement groups and teach classes on this...they are EVIL. tones

cheapseats
06-03-2009, 07:48 AM

A special House committee has been formed to investigate the inner workings of a state agency that produced a controversial report linking some social conservative views to militia membership...

That's a swell step in the right direction, but it's NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Militia Membership is no more subversive than social conservativism, and substantially less incendiary than Mob Rule.

THEY ARE STILL PLAYING MILITIA AGAINST THE ROPES.

This approach seeks to distinguish mamby pamby suburbanite disgruntled from the disgruntled that might actually DO something about being disgruntled.

BEING A MEMBER OF THE UNITED STATES MILITIA IS AN HONOR AND A DUTY, NOT A RED FLAG FOR DISCRIMINATORY OPPRESSION.

In my considered opinion, it is the Militia standing willing AND PREPARED to defend the American Constitution -- read that, THE INALIENABLE RIGHTS OF AMERICAN CITIZENS -- that keeps this administration's race to full-blown Communism from becoming a demolition derby.

This bears repeating. And reiterating. And saying one more time.

cheapseats
06-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Why aren't they also looking into the Anti Defamation League??? They go around to law enforcement groups and teach classes on this...they are EVIL. tones

Same reason"we" aren't. Scaredy cats, drowning in political correctness.

ghengis86
06-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Same problem with HR 1207.

how so? i thought H.R. 1207 was just to open the books so the people can see what crock of shit the FED is, not to investigate, indict, convict, punish. i.e. it will be so apparent, there won't be any need for an investigation.

sort of like publishing all the homoseually, child rape pictures from Abu and then letting the people decide

pinkmandy
06-03-2009, 08:28 AM
This isn't a witch hunt....is that a wart on your nose? :D

Seriously! Wtf?

cheapseats
06-03-2009, 08:40 AM
how so? i thought H.R. 1207 was just to open the books so the people can see what crock of shit the FED is, not to investigate, indict, convict, punish. i.e. it will be so apparent, there won't be any need for an investigation.

sort of like publishing all the homoseually, child rape pictures from Abu and then letting the people decide

My understanding is that it calls for the General Accounting Office to review the Fed.

We have CONFIDENCE in the sitting government, or we have NO CONFIDENCE in the sitting government.

Or we can pick and choose, a la carte, playing patty-cake and peek-a-boo -- all the while fundraising for DIFFERENT politicians who vow to do it DIFFERENTLY -- and we can continue to dwindle, ironically, into an unwieldy and oversized and self-absorbed giant, like Baby Huey, whose chief industry and occupation is itself. "News" about who's who, and who's doing this and who's not doing that, and who's doing WHO.

We'll produce sensationalism and sell security systems -- read that, MORE INSURANCE. We won't fix the problems but, by God, we'll invent costly systems and gadgets and services so YOU can assume personal responsibility and PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY. Compared to SANCTITY OF HUMAN LIFE, the cost is nominal. Spend smart, sleep well.

Just don't hurt us.

cheapseats
06-03-2009, 08:45 AM
GLARINGLY absent from the Oath Keepers' list of resolutions is a vow not to fire upon American citizens assembled in dissent, as for Redress of Grievance.

The rest is bollocks without that.

We don't care. We also manufacture Window Dressing.

They snuck relaxation of gun laws in national parks into a credit card meddling bill . . . yay, score one for the home team! We're gaining on 'em now, boy, principles be damned -- stay the course, full speed ahead, SEND MORE MONEY!!!!!!!

ghengis86
06-03-2009, 08:52 AM
My understanding is that it calls for the General Accounting Office to review the Fed.

We have CONFIDENCE in the sitting government, or we have NO CONFIDENCE in the sitting government.

Or we can pick and choose, a la carte, playing patty-cake and peek-a-boo -- all the while fundraising for DIFFERENT politicians who vow to do it DIFFERENTLY -- and we can continue to dwindle, ironically, into an unwieldy and oversized and self-absorbed giant, like Baby Huey, whose chief industry and occupation is itself. "News" about who's who, and who's doing this and who's not doing that, and who's doing WHO.

We'll produce sensationalism and sell security systems -- read that, MORE INSURANCE. We won't fix the problems but, by God, we'll invent costly systems and gadgets and services so YOU can assume personal responsibility and PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY. Compared to SANCTITY OF HUMAN LIFE, the cost is nominal. Spend smart, sleep well.

Just don't hurt us.

GLARINGLY absent from the Oath Keepers' list of resolutions is a vow not to fire upon American citizens assembled in dissent, as for Redress of Grievance.

The rest is bollocks without that.

We don't care. We also manufacture Window Dressing.

They snuck relaxation of gun laws in national parks into a credit card meddling bill . . . yay, score one for the home team! We're gaining on 'em now, boy, principles be damned -- stay the course, full speed ahead, SEND MORE MONEY!!!!!!!

i agree with you on all of this, but I guess I thought the GAO Audit would be just a posting of the FED's secret transactions. as you point out, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter.

i'm not for reforming or limiting government; i'm for abolishing it completely.

Reason
06-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Controversial MIAC profiling reports likely a thing of the past
Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 5:38 PM
By Steve Walsh

There is a good probability we will not see too many more documents similar to the controversial Missouri Information Analysis Center (MIAC) report that suggested certain individuals or group members might be likely to engage in unlawful activities. That's the word from Missouri State Highway Patrol Lieutenant Dave Hall, the Director of MIAC, in comments made to a Missouri House committee that held its first meeting Wednesday at the State Capitol.

"The strategic-type reports as you're referring to," Hall told the committee. "They are no longer being produced by the Missouri Information Analysis Center. We are not currently working on strategic reports and we are not going to be working on strategic reports."

The hearing was an organizational meeting designed to set the stage for examining, reviewing, and reporting on the necessary procedures for enhancing legislative oversight of the methods of state intelligence gathering, analysis, and distribution to law enforcement agencies. The mandate of the committee is not to rehash the controversial report, but the contents of that report played a big role in the testimony and comments offered, including comments offered by Missouri State Highway Patrol Superintendent Colonel James Keathley.

"I don't know if we will ever get back in the business of producing strategic reports, to be very honest with you." Keathley told the panel. "This report created us a lot of harm, a lot of problems. I'm not going to stand here and say anything other than that."

Committee members were then taken on a tour of the MIAC Center in Jefferson City. Plans call for future meetings to be held in St. Louis, Kansas City, and Springfield. A schedule has not yet been finalized.

http://www.missourinet.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=CC7A23A8-5056-B82A-37532F7AF63CFDE9

Kade
06-10-2009, 06:16 PM
They throw some so called liberals in the same pot, and there has never been an investigation. Favoritism is afforded those that kiss the ring.

disorderlyvision
07-18-2009, 07:16 PM
ISSOURI HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
HOUSE COMMITTEE MEETING NOTICE

INTERIM COMMITTEE ON STATE INTELLIGENCE ANALYSIS OVERSIGHT

CHAIR: Representative Bob Dixon
MEETING DATE: Tuesday, July 28, 2009
TIME 1:00 P.M.
LOCATION Anheuser-Busch Leadership Room
Spellmann Campus Center
Lindenwood University
209 S. Kingshighway
St. Charles, MO 63301

BILLS TO BE CONSIDERED

House Bills
Senate Bills
Comments
To hear public testimony on the Missouri Information Analysis Center (MIAC) and law enforcement intelligence and intelligence-related activities

Individuals wishing to testify should call 573-751-9809 or e-mail eric.jennings@house.mo.gov

Sandra
07-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Does anyone see a pattern?