PDA

View Full Version : Reasons Women Give for having late term abortions

Rael
06-02-2009, 10:14 PM
According to a 1987 study that included specific data about late abortions (i.e. abortions “at 16 or more weeks' gestation”),[27] women reported that various reasons contributed to their having a late abortion:

* 71% Woman didn't recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation

Whodathunkit?

* 48% Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion

Damn, how am I going to schedule this without missing my pedicure appointment?

* 33% Woman was afraid to tell her partner or parents

Oh please. Get over it.

* 24% Woman took time to decide to have an abortion

3 months was not enough??

* 8% Woman waited for her relationship to change

And probably will be with every future relationship as well.

* 8% Someone pressured woman not to have abortion

Not enough pressure, apparently.

* 6% Something changed after woman became pregnant

Yep, your baby grew a heart, toes and a brain. Gonna have to suck it out with a Dirt Devil now

* 6% Woman didn't know timing is important
* 5% Woman didn't know she could get an abortion

Damn, if you are that stupid, you probably should have an abortion. You should not breed. Just kidding.

* 2% A fetal problem was diagnosed late in pregnancy

Wow, way here down at the bottom, 2%, we have what might even be a semi legitimate reason for doing this.

* 11% Other

Natalie
06-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I have 3 friends who have had shmesmortions. Their reasons were: "I'm only 17," "My boyfriend is making me," and "I want to finish college."

Reason
06-02-2009, 10:20 PM
@ Rael what exactly do you think you're accomplishing with this post?

Brian4Liberty
06-02-2009, 10:22 PM
It was standard birth control in Russia/Soviet Union. I know a Russian girl who said she had 10...

Brian4Liberty
06-02-2009, 10:22 PM

Aborting time? :eek:

Rael
06-02-2009, 10:29 PM

Just pointing out how stupid this is. People think that this stuff is only done because the babies are deformed or the mothers life is threatened. It's a bunch of shit.

DeadheadForPaul
06-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Something tells me that the reasons in 1987 may be radically different from the reasons in 2009. After all, technological advances now allow women to more easily and more quickly determine whether they are pregnant or not.

Brooklyn Red Leg
06-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Something tells me that the reasons in 1987 may be radically different from the reasons in 2009. After all, technological advances now allow women to more easily and more quickly determine whether they are pregnant or not.

I dunno. I'd be willing to bet that people today are even less educated and informed than in 1987. I'm willing to bet the 'I didnt know I was pregnant' increased.

TER
06-02-2009, 11:18 PM
sad sad statistics :(

0zzy
06-02-2009, 11:34 PM
I have 3 friends who have had shmesmortions. Their reasons were: "I'm only 17," "My boyfriend is making me," and "I want to finish college."

thank god those aren't the typical reasons!
amrite?
amrite?
nah?
daaaaaamn

hawaiisb
06-02-2009, 11:40 PM
My friend was convinced to have an abortion by her boyfriend when she was 16. The abortion made her sterile and she was very depressed and suicidal for years after. She doesn't know how to cope with the thought of never being able to have a child now.
She has been doing better lately but I have seen a few of my friends get abortions and have been witness to the tangle of gut-wrenching emotions they have been scared with.

Reason
06-02-2009, 11:46 PM
to be honest I don't understand the fascination with "having your own"... I plan on adopting... It just seems wrong to make more babies when there are already so many without parents...

Bman
06-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Ah Abortion. The greatest tragedy of American politics.

Danke
06-03-2009, 02:32 AM
Yep, your baby grew a heart, toes and a brain. Gonna have to suck it out with a Dirt Devil now

You have a way with putting things...

MRoCkEd
06-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Reasons for Abortion

http://www.bound4life.com/images/Reasons.png (http://bound4life.com/statistics)

* 98% Personal Choice (unwanted or inconvenient)
* 1.7% Life/Health of Mother or Child
* .3% Rape/Incest

cheapseats
06-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Here's the thing the Self Righteous had better get clear in their heads.

America will not become friendly host to multiple political parties in the next three years. It won't. We'll mindlessly square off AGAIN, Democrats vs. Republicans, Self-Righteous vs. Self-Righteous, Often-Wrong-But-Never-In-Doubt Blue vs. Often-Wrong-But-Never-In-Doubt Red. Same-old-same-old, two sides of the same coin, making careers and fortunes outta playing y'all one against the other.

There will be lots and lots and lots of disgruntled Democrats percolating to the surface as the economy worsens. Your HISTRIONICS on Abortion will incline them to scrounge around for a different Democratic standard bearer, not a different party.

Look at your tiny sliver of how many abortions address life of mother/rape/incest, and know that that's the PUNINESS of Abortion in the color-wheel of death that we are spinning EVERY FUCKING DAY.

How many Americans were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan this week, do any of you even know? How many non-Americans? Do you even care?

You'll fight for one potential life at a time, bearing down hard on one isolated woman at a time, rather than square off against a Murder Machine that YOU fund? Hypocrites and cowards, in equal measure.

Charter an airbus to the Middle East. Stand as human shields in front of pregnant Iraqi and Afghani women. Y'all could END the war, if you were sincere about Sanctity of Life. As it is, you BROADCAST that you only give a shit about American lives.

Some oppressed are more equal than other oppressed, eh?

sailor
06-03-2009, 07:19 AM

America will not become friendly host to multiple political parties in the next three years. It won't. We'll mindlessly square off AGAIN, Democrats vs. Republicans, Self-Righteous vs. Self-Righteous, Often-Wrong-But-Never-In-Doubt Blue vs. Often-Wrong-But-Never-In-Doubt Red. Same-old-same-old, two sides of the same coin, making careers and fortunes outta playing y'all one against the other.

There will be lots and lots and lots of disgruntled Democrats percolating to the surface as the economy worsens. Your HISTRIONICS on Abortion will incline them to scrounge around for a different Democratic standard bearer, not a different party.

Look at your tiny sliver of how many abortions address life of mother/rape/incest, and know that that's the PUNINESS of Abortion in the color-wheel of death that we are spinning EVERY FUCKING DAY.

How many Americans were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan this week, do any of you even know? How many non-Americans? Do you even care?

You'll fight for one potential life at a time, bearing down hard on one isolated woman at a time, rather than square off against a Murder Machine that YOU fund? Hypocrites and cowards, in equal measure.

Charter an airbus to the Middle East. Stand as human shields in front of pregnant Iraqi and Afghani women. Y'all could END the war, if you were sincere about Sanctity of Life. As it is, you BROADCAST that you only give a shit about American lives.

Did you get that off your chest now? :rolleyes:

What is this for you, a therapy session? :rolleyes:

cheapseats
06-03-2009, 07:24 AM
My friend was convinced to have an abortion by her boyfriend when she was 16. The abortion made her sterile and she was very depressed and suicidal for years after. She doesn't know how to cope with the thought of never being able to have a child now.
She has been doing better lately but I have seen a few of my friends get abortions and have been witness to the tangle of gut-wrenching emotions they have been scared with.

Let us by all means, then, draft special legislation for 16-year-olds with overbearing boyfriends.

If there is even ONE woman that we can pressure into carrying to term a baby she does not want and will not cherish, there is no number of legislative pages or taxpayer dollars that would be too great a commitment of American resources.

Let us also fund an agency to conduct in-depth psychological evaluation of any octogenarians who are flirting with getting off the bus.

cheapseats
06-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Did you get that off your chest now? :rolleyes:

Hardly. I'm just gettin' warmed up.

That is a question better put to your compatriots who are ALL TALK AND NO DO.

KenInMontiMN
06-03-2009, 07:31 AM
This thread is a testament to why abortion belongs off the Federal plate- why RvW is such a disaster and diversion for national politics. Send it back to the states.

Todd
06-03-2009, 07:35 AM

Isn't that the case for everyone? I mean...isn't that human nature?
I'm sure (if you have kids) that you believe your kids life is infinitely more important than mine and vice versa. :confused:

That old politician platitude: "How can you measure the life of one child over another" is bullshat. We do it everday.

cheapseats
06-03-2009, 07:37 AM
May 26 (8 days ago)

This book is a few years old. I certainly DO remember Lee Iacocca -- I am horrified by how many of the bozos on the bailout bandwagon don't GET IT that we ALREADY bailed out Detroit. I advocated (including to Republican Party Brass who steadfastly ignored me) for a "Placeholder President" & V.P. combo of legendary get-er-done executives who would spend one four-year term running America LIKE THE FAILING GIANT THAT IT IS, taking all the hot-button issues off the table while we figger out what the hell we believe in and whether we're prepared to fight for it.

I favored Lee Iacocca -- because he KNOWS from bailouts -- and T. Boone Pickens, Warren Buffet as back-up if one of 'em kicked the bucket. Gay marriage and abortion are SO not the pressing problems of this historic time. Divide & Conquer, it's a strategy as old as dirt.

By contrast, name ONE tyrannical dictatorship that was not precipitated by a call for the citizenry to surrender its arms?

Would that my countrymen's willingness to rise to any bait would be matched by a willingness to rise to the occasion.

You will laugh to realize that you are ahead of me on the email learning curve. I'm so impressed -- which lesson covered Multiple Recipients?

You could do a service -- if you're comfortable with it and you think they're receptive -- by forwarding a copy of the above response to the same people to whom you sent the "Where Have All The Leaders Gone" excerpt. People don't have to agree with me on everything to validate this bottom line: Americans need to WAKE UP and smell the unmitigated rottenness that is emanating from our nation's capitol. Our OWN government is shot through with corruption and worse. They want torture? Fine, non-stop-no-holds-barred ranting it is. You have lately spent a weekend in range of my soapbox, YOU know. ;-)

I wonder also whether some of the Red Hat Ladies might be receptive -- betcha THEY didn't miss the Multiple Recipients class. I've never forgotten the liveliness and laughter of the pre-theater FLOCK of them outside the Ahmanson Theater in downtown Los Angeles -- they actually EXUDED fun, it was palpable. There is no doubt in my mind, none whatever, that Women could make all the difference at this juncture of human history. People respond to Reason. The Truth resonates. It couldn't BE more obvious that guys aren't very good at dominating the world -- it's a wonder we even have toilet paper. ;)

On a separate note, whether I wore out my welcome here or whether I was never welcome here does not alter the implication -- I am under a metaphorical gun to scoot sooner rather than later. Between you, me and the lamp post, I should have just hit the road on Day One. This hybrid of leaving it all behind only after orchestrating it into a different and smaller configuration is . . . what's the word I'm looking for . . . ah, STUPID.

My other host has company this week, sooo . . . life becoming too ironic for daytime TV . . . the one who railed against that big Tahoe house now seeks its refuge. I'm guessing everyone has gone back to work, making this as good a time as any to eat crow. Is it alright to hang there until . . . I need to skedaddle. No worries if it's not a good week, for real, the peace and quiet and paperlessness of a few nights in a Hampton Inn sounds pretty good.

I need to map out an itinerary. This stuff is haaaard.

cheapseats
06-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Isn't that the case for everyone? I mean...isn't that human nature?
I'm sure (if you have kids) that you believe your kids life is infinitely more important than mine and vice versa. :confused:

That old politician platitude: "How can you measure the life of one child over another" is bullshat. We do it everday.

There's a lotta lotta real estate between NATURALLY valuing the lives of your dear ones over the lives of strangers, and tearing a country asunder over babies-in-the-works that you DON'T know WHILE funding but remaining weirdly oblivious to the wholesale slaughter of living/breathing people you ALSO don't know. People who HAVE fully developed brains, organs, limbs, families . . . until we blow them to smithereens.

sailor
06-03-2009, 08:00 AM
There's a lotta lotta real estate between NATURALLY valuing the lives of your dear ones over the lives of strangers, and tearing a country asunder over babies-in-the-works that you DON'T know WHILE funding but remaining weirdly oblivious to the wholesale slaughter of living/breathing people you ALSO don't know. People who HAVE fully developed brains, organs, limbs, families . . . until we blow them to smithereens.

I think you`ve missed the forum. This is Ron Paul`s place. He built his campaign around the anti-war issue. Nobody here is "oblivious".

Your beef is basicaly that people are following the forum guidelines and not straying off topic to talk about Afganistan in a topic about abortions. It is an internet forum. You`re supposed to stay on topic. If you want to talk about Afganistan open a different topic. I`m sure you won`t get many pro-war viewpoints.

And to preement your question why there aren`t more topics on the war, there aren`t because it is not a divisive issue on here (like abortion, religion, anarchy...) . Everybodies stance is much alike so there is that much less to argue about. It doesn`t mean we feel any less strongly about it as about some other issues.

Your outrage is misplaced. And I do detect a pro-choice slant underneath your ramblings. Nobody else would think that caring about one life must preclude you from caring about another life.

acptulsa
06-03-2009, 08:09 AM

I don't come here to hate on Americans trying to make their way through a society increasingly hostile to the 'lesser castes'. I come here to plot against power brokers who pit us one against the other and stir up our moral outrage to the point where someone audibly says, 'there ought to be a law', then use it as an excuse to legislate against such earth-shattering crimes as walking and chewing gum at the same time (after all, if you can't do it you could break your nose and if you can do it you'll make someone who can't do it break their nose trying to emulate you, so you can't be free and a responsible nanny state citizen simultaneously). Laws they don't mind one whit passing because they know they'll be immune to them. Laws that make it impossible to live without fear of going to prison for living.

What difference does the abortion issue make? Yeah, it's a hot issue. But what's a hotter issue is that we have only two political parties in this nation, and one says as little as possible about abortion and does nothing, and the other makes a ton of grand promises to do something about abortion and does nothing. Well, I'm pro-choice, at least where the nation's voters are concerned, and that does not sound to me like a choice. Sounds like different rhetoric, same damned candidate.

Rael, you're participating in a distraction designed to keep you from defending your own right to be free. If the last x number of Republican administrations haven't convinced you yet that we need representation before we can do anything about this subject, and we don't have representation, then I don't know what to tell you. But I, for one, think we can do quite a lot of things once we get the Constitution back in force, and little before then. So, what you're ranting about is on down my priority list.

Your outrage is misplaced. And I do detect a pro-choice slant underneath your ramblings. Nobody else would think that caring about one life must preclude you from caring about another life.

Is this a witch hunt? Yeah, yeah, we know:

YouTube - every sperm is sacred (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47P59ha9k9s)

Thing is, that simply isn't the only senseless destruction going on in the world. Question is, what is ridiculing women who made mistakes in 1987 (as in the OP) doing to help? Like Michael Palin's 'fastest growing religion' quip from the movie? Iraqis are pawns in the game, every fetus is a pawn in the game, cheapseats refuses to play pawn as is her right and before we can do anything at all we have to play the political realities well enough to get in position. Right?

'And I do detect a slant...' Well, by all means let's divide ourselves right down the schisms they have prepared for us. God knows we don't really want to make a difference... :rolleyes:

Maybe I should get therapy for hoping that we could pull our heads out of our conquerors' asses long enough to unite and throw them out...

I am so damned sick of this issue.

'We have to get this bum out, even if it means getting the Democrat in for one term.'

'I can't vote for a Democrat; they're pro-abortion.'

'This guy has been in for years and has done absolutely nothing about abortion but talk. As for action, we've seen that--he has voted for every bailout and every other piece of legislation stealing from you and giving to the rich. So, if he won't do what you want and does what you don't want, why the hell won't you vote him out?'

'Well, at least he doesn't publicly support abortion with his rhetoric. So, I have to vote for him.'

I actually had this conversation last fall--with more than one person. Talk is fucking cheap. And voting one issue only is baring your ass and bending over. I come to this site for sanity. May we have some please?

klamath
06-03-2009, 08:43 AM

I like RP am against the killing of war as well as the killing of abortion. There are almost no prowar people on these forums and when they do show up they are torn to bloody ribbons. You are basing your argument on the fights you had with the christion right hyprocracy of being for the war but anti abortion.
It is the proabortion, anti war people on these forums that are the huge hypocrites. I for one will take no outrage against war serious when that same person dehumanizes unborn children and is prochoice.
I like RP believe it is a state issue like murder.

ChaosControl
06-03-2009, 08:44 AM
I knew that most of it was all convenience birth control b.s. and "life of the mother or child" was in a very small minority. 2% though, wow, even lower than I thought.

Brooklyn Red Leg
06-03-2009, 08:48 AM
I knew that most of it was all convenience birth control b.s. and "life of the mother or child" was in a very small minority. 2% though, wow, even lower than I thought.

Ever notice when the news always reports about it they only mention 'Life of the Mother' and leave out the Child? Which also begs the question, how the FUCK could someone justify aborting a child if its life is in danger? Thats about as brain-pretzel twisty ass logic as I've seen, rating up there with 'We must secure freedom by giving it up' and other Doublethink bullshit.

acptulsa
06-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Ever notice when the news always reports about it they only mention 'Life of the Mother' and leave out the Child? Which also begs the question, how the FUCK could someone justify aborting a child if its life is in danger? Thats about as brain-pretzel twisty ass logic as I've seen, rating up there with 'We must secure freedom by giving it up' and other Doublethink bullshit.

Who the hell ever said we have to abort the fetus to save it? I've never heard any such thing in my whole life.

Brooklyn Red Leg
06-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Who the hell ever said we have to abort the fetus to save it? I've never heard any such thing in my whole life.

Look at the chart again:

* 98% Personal Choice (unwanted or inconvenient)
* 1.7% Life/Health of Mother or Child
* .3% Rape/Incest

acptulsa
06-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Look at the chart again:

That's just goofy. And just one more example of so-called 'information' on this subject having nothing whatsoever to do with informing and everything to do with inflaming emotions. God forbid we think when we vote!

ChaosControl
06-03-2009, 09:03 AM

I think the idea is that the child is going to die anyway, so why go through the whole process to begin with.

Of course that is only if he/she WILL die, not if he/she MIGHT die.

cheapseats
06-03-2009, 09:08 AM
I think you`ve missed the forum. This is Ron Paul`s place. He built his campaign around the anti-war issue. Nobody here is "oblivious".

PLENTY of Board Members are oblivious, or our nation's Capitol would be overrun with Patriots riding Traitors out of Vatican-esque Washington DC on rails.

Is this Board determinedly organizing a we-don't-need-a-permit-to-assemble-in-dissent DEMONSTRATION on Independence Day, or is this Board determinedly organizing ANOTHER fundraiser?

Your beef is basicaly that people are following the forum guidelines and not straying off topic to talk about Afganistan in a topic about abortions.

I was called an Agent Provocateur by some Johnny-come-lately from the k-for-c crowd because I advocate execution of Traitors. No one but me called him out on that. So I'll expect the same liberty of self-expression in labeling Rael an Agent Provocateur. But because it's a "pet" preference, y'all GLOM onto the bait -- and OFF you go into ANOTHER regurgitation of unwinnable circular arguments about BELIEFS.

It is an internet forum. You`re supposed to stay on topic.

It is the United States of America. We're supposed to keep our eye on the fucking ball, not the fucking, and we're supposed to VANQUISH THE BAD GUYS.

Chit-chatting on friendly forums is for Ordinary Times. In Ordinary Times, you and I need never cross paths -- and by choice, we wouldn't. Unless politicians got it into their heads to put it into OUR heads that we are discriminating against one another and that, if we would send them money, they could make us stop doing what we're doing.

These are NOT ordinary times. This are not just extraordinary times, these are EPIC times.

Piss, or get off the pot.

And to preement your question why there aren`t more topics on the war, there aren`t because it is not a divisive issue on here (like abortion, religion, anarchy...) .

War is not divisive? Ask the families, friends and Blood Brothers of the fallen. How many more this week?

Everybodies stance is much alike so there is that much less to argue about. It doesn`t mean we feel any less strongly about it as about some other issues.

Yeah, I know. Y'all preach to the choir, won't brook dissent from the vestibule, and scare the bejeezus out of the people who are cowering on the sidewalk.

Your outrage is misplaced.

No Miss Congeniality award for me, I s'pose. Will that be awarded at the guys' weekend in Vegas?

And I do detect a pro-choice slant underneath your ramblings.

Like I say, I'm more libertarian than many Libertarians -- minus an entry in your catalogue of fancy labels.

The biblical perspective is "come unto Me," not "haul their asses in here." God does not need and it does Him no glory for self-righteous mankind to legislate Morality to sinner mankind.

Nobody else would think that caring about one life must preclude you from caring about another life.

Caring is cheap, like talk.

Faith without works is dead.

acptulsa
06-03-2009, 09:11 AM
I think the idea is that the child is going to die anyway, so why go through the whole process to begin with.

It does say health in there, not just life, doesn't it? Well, you may be right. And there might be quite a few cases represented by that statistic where the fetus had Downs' or something less than fatal.

We feel so compelled to further medical science, but so much of it these days has less to do with saving lives and promoting health than with recklessly biting the apple off of the Tree of Knowledge. We progress so fast and digest the implications so slowly, like a person with 20/2000 vision driving a hundred miles per hour...

moostraks
06-03-2009, 09:47 AM
I like RP am against the killing of war as well as the killing of abortion. There are almost no prowar people on these forums and when they do show up they are torn to bloody ribbons. You are basing your argument on the fights you had with the christion right hyprocracy of being for the war but anti abortion.
It is the proabortion, anti war people on these forums that are the huge hypocrites. I for one will take no outrage against war serious when that same person dehumanizes unborn children and is prochoice.
I like RP believe it is a state issue like murder.

Well said. The hypocrisy is not much different when the rant is solely against war and not the waste of human life period. A human life is still a life no matter how little you know it, what nationality it is, or how mature it may be. As research methods improve they find that even first trimester infants are capable of pain reactions.

Interesting that the solution to a devisive subject here by many is to just ignore it. The OP is just as valid in pointing out the fallacious nature of the msm's reporting on this as anyone else is to point out their(msm) failures in other areas. Pointing out the hypocrisy should instill some much needed wrath towards those perpetrating the stereotyping. Seeing the clearly diametrically opposed views should bring cohesion to liberty fighters in bringing this issue back to a local level because we will never find a middle road on this issue for so many diverse communities.

JP2010
06-03-2009, 10:03 AM
According to a 1987 study that included specific data about late abortions (i.e. abortions “at 16 or more weeks' gestation”),[27] women reported that various reasons contributed to their having a late abortion:

* 71% Woman didn't recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation

Whodathunkit?

* 48% Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion

Damn, how am I going to schedule this without missing my pedicure appointment?

* 33% Woman was afraid to tell her partner or parents

Oh please. Get over it.

* 24% Woman took time to decide to have an abortion

3 months was not enough??

* 8% Woman waited for her relationship to change

And probably will be with every future relationship as well.

* 8% Someone pressured woman not to have abortion

Not enough pressure, apparently.

* 6% Something changed after woman became pregnant

* 6% Woman didn't know timing is important
* 5% Woman didn't know she could get an abortion

Damn, if you are that stupid, you probably should have an abortion. You should not breed. Just kidding.

* 2% A fetal problem was diagnosed late in pregnancy

Wow, way here down at the bottom, 2%, we have what might even be a semi legitimate reason for doing this.

* 11% Other
Could you please provide a link to this study? I have someone claiming that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to the issue of late term abortions. This would be good material to show this person.

klamath
06-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Well said. The hypocrisy is not much different when the rant is solely against war and not the waste of human life period. A human life is still a life no matter how little you know it, what nationality it is, or how mature it may be. As research methods improve they find that even first trimester infants are capable of pain reactions.

Interesting that the solution to a devisive subject here by many is to just ignore it. The OP is just as valid in pointing out the fallacious nature of the msm's reporting on this as anyone else is to point out their(msm) failures in other areas. Pointing out the hypocrisy should instill some much needed wrath towards those perpetrating the stereotyping. Seeing the clearly diametrically opposed views should bring cohesion to liberty fighters in bringing this issue back to a local level because we will never find a middle road on this issue for so many diverse communities.

It is an issue that we have to face in order to be true to a movement for nonviolence and liberty.
The argument that we need to shove this abortion issue under the rug so we might pick up some disinfranchised democrats makes about as much sense as saying we shouldn't be so anti war so we can pick up some republicans that agree with us on everything else but the wars. I can guarentee that that there is a huge number of republicans that would be all with RP if he would just keep quiet about intervention and the WOT. It would be very very easy to say "let's not talk about war" it is a wedge issue. RP won't be quiet about war and neither should we.

Brooklyn Red Leg
06-03-2009, 10:26 AM
It is an issue that we have to face in order to be true to a movement for nonviolence and liberty.

Very well said klamath.

Carole
06-03-2009, 11:41 AM

So these technical advances would seem to indicate even less valid reasons for late term abortions IMHO.

Brooklyn Red Leg
06-03-2009, 11:47 AM
So these technical advances would seem to indicate even less valid reasons for late term abortions IMHO.

Assuming we actually pull back from the Abyss and don't end up in the Hellhole called Dystopia, medical technology will likely render Abortion-on-Demand obselete. The question will then be more focused on the rights of Embryonic Humans as the Mother is taken completely out of the equation. The nightmare scenario will be that even then, the Baby will be declared to have no rights whatsoever since its not 'naturally born' or some such bullshit and we'll be back to Slavery.

Brian4Liberty
06-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Abortion is an incredible issue. Directly effects most people very little, yet people can debate it endlessly. The perfect red herring.

My guess it that it touches on some of the strongest and most basic human instincts. Subconsciously it is a hard topic to let go.

klamath
06-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Abortion is an incredible issue. Directly effects most people very little, yet people can debate it endlessly. The perfect red herring.

My guess it that it touches on some of the strongest and most basic human instincts. Subconsciously it is a hard topic to let go.

Unfortunately there are a lot of issues that don't directly effect most people that we debate.
Most Americans aren't drug dealers, growers or users. Drug war, non issue. red herring.
Most Americans aren't serving in Iraq or the stans. WOT, non issue. Red herring.
Most Americans aren't gay. Rights of gays to call their unions marriages. non issue, Red herring.
Most American aren't arested for exercising free speach or other violations of Homeland security act. Non issue, Red herring.
Thinking about it most all issues don't effect most Americans directly.

Brian4Liberty
06-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Most Americans aren't drug dealers, growers or users. Drug war, non issue. red herring.

Not sure on that one... ;) If you include prescription drugs, the vast majority of Americans are on drugs.

I agree on Gay Marriage, another Red Herring.

It effects me directly if it's an issue where I am taxed to pay for it. And we all use free speech on a daily basis. More so around here. :)

Stary Hickory
06-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Well here is my rant. I am sick of the pro-choice crowd justify abortions no matter what. I never get too enraged over this usually, but when we already have people making morally questionable choices in response to their own actions it's bad enough. We still are in a heated debate over when life is life....and the answer is not black or white. Except to prochoice/prolife sides.

However when someone does not even have the decency to make a decision quickly <3 months or so I cannot turn a blind eye. Have some respect for the lives of other people especially your own potential offspring. If it were me and I was going to have an abortion (something I don' personally support) I would at least try to have it as early as possible to avoid it becoming even more morally questionable.

I mean this is a life that will be born, the same ones we are supposed to protect, how irresponsible do you have to be to wait until a baby develops then kill it? I just can't see how anyone with any morality could make such a choice, when there was ample time to do it beforehand. At some point take responsibility for your actions, murder for your convenience is plain wrong. I could respect someone a lot more if they at least ensured that they reduced the moral hazard as much as possible by being responsible and doing this sort of thing as early as possible.

AuH20
06-03-2009, 01:47 PM
The argument that we need to shove this abortion issue under the rug so we might pick up some disinfranchised democrats makes about as much sense as saying we shouldn't be so anti war so we can pick up some republicans that agree with us on everything else but the wars. I can guarentee that that there is a huge number of republicans that would be all with RP if he would just keep quiet about intervention and the WOT. It would be very very easy to say "let's not talk about war" it is a wedge issue. RP won't be quiet about war and neither should we.

I hate to paraphrase Alex Jones, but he said abortion and other eugenicist tactics are the building blocks of dehumanization. As soon as the populace shifts to the "I don't care" stage, it presents an opportunity for tyranny to take a foothold. Once the clueless citizen can rationalize and justify this evil, the transformation is near complete. First, its the fetus, then its the elderly & disabled and before you know it, political opponents are fair game. That's why we all must take a stand for life.

klamath
06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
I hate to paraphrase Alex Jones, but he said abortion and other eugenicist tactics are the building blocks of dehumanization. As soon as the populace shifts to the "I don't care" stage, it presents an opportunity for tyranny to take a foothold. Once the clueless citizen can rationalize and justify this evil, the transformation is near complete. First, its the fetus, then its the elderly & disabled and before you know it, political opponents are fair game. That's why we all must take a stand for life.

Then back on track to Hitler's perfect people, bred and perfected to the standards set by the elite.

Sandman33
06-03-2009, 02:29 PM

YES YES...finish college so you can go be a slave to the system and grind instead of loving the child that you MURDERED and trying to be a decent wife or a decent human being for that matter.

"Sorry Johnny...you're going to have to DIE so that I can finish biology class to learn just how alive you are."

Sandman33
06-03-2009, 02:30 PM

QFT

Logans run anyone?

idirtify
06-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Although I generally respect Alex Jones…

Pretty stupid worry / pretty stupid eugenicists. The worry should be the opposite. BC / abortion is the enemy of eugenicists, whether they realize it or not. If anything, abortion and BC are the tactics of “idiocrats” (those power elites who work to dumb down society - see Idiocracy). While the term and movie are actually comical, the devolutionary effect of BC is real. (Even though the movie didn’t actually blame BC, it was hilarious). Just realize that poor uneducated fat unhealthy people are less able to afford abortion or BC (or the least likely to care about it - or the most likely to intentionally reject it, and have a bunch of kids, and jump on the welfare bandwagon), and then do the selective breeding mathematics. Until the state decides to eliminate welfare and mass-provide BC and abortions for free, the eventual stupefying result is inescapable.

Of course maybe the stupid worry about the wrong thing, that is very popular, is a symptom that it is beginning. (I’m not joking.)