PDA

View Full Version : Chinese students laugh at Geithner's assurances about Dollar 6/1/09

nbruno322
06-01-2009, 04:40 PM
We need to get a Utube of this..

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNewsAndPR/idUSPEK14475620090601

BEIJING, June 1 (Reuters) - U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner on Monday reassured the Chinese government that its huge holdings of dollar assets are safe and reaffirmed his faith in a strong U.S. currency.

A major goal of Geithner's maiden visit to China as Treasury chief is to allay concerns that Washington's bulging budget deficit and ultra-loose monetary policy will fan inflation, undermining both the dollar and U.S. bonds.

China is the biggest foreign owner of U.S. Treasury bonds. U.S. data shows that it held $768 billion in Treasuries as of March, but some analysts believe China's total U.S. dollar-denominated investments could be twice as high.

"Chinese assets are very safe," Geithner said in response to a question after a speech at Peking University, where he studied Chinese as a student in the 1980s.

His answer drew loud laughter from his student audience, reflecting skepticism in China about the wisdom of a developing country accumulating a vast stockpile of foreign reserves instead of spending the money to raise living standards at home.

He Who Pawns
06-01-2009, 04:45 PM
It's the beginning of the end. The Chinese are not stupid.

Pete
06-01-2009, 05:05 PM
I cannot express how delicious it is to see this Master of the Universe humiliated like this.

Darth Vader stomping on a flaming bag of shit.

nobody's_hero
06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
LOL Pete. Well said.

ItsTime
06-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Im waiting for the youtube!

heavenlyboy34
06-01-2009, 06:25 PM
I cannot express how delicious it is to see this Master of the Universe humiliated like this.

Darth Vader stomping on a flaming bag of shit.

LMFAO!! Great imagery there! :D

qh4dotcom
06-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Im waiting for the youtube!

I guess it will never arrive since Glenn Beck also wanted to show it and couldn't.

JamesButabi
06-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Oh god theres gotta be a tube for this.

FSP-Rebel
06-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Oh god theres gotta be a tube for this.
I'm guessing that there is no amerikan footage of this, because we wouldn't want the sheep to see their finance minister embarrassed on tv in another country. But, if there is one available, I would cherish it.

He Who Pawns
06-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Scour the tooobs. I saw some clips of Timmy speaking at the venue, no clips yet of his humiliation.

qh4dotcom
06-01-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm guessing that there is no amerikan footage of this, because we wouldn't want the sheep to see their finance minister embarrassed on tv in another country. But, if there is one available, I would cherish it.

Glenn Beck wanted to show the Chinese students laughing but couldn't.

Remember when Obama's teleprompter malfunctioned in March and he wound up thanking himself? There was no video of that too.

Dr.3D
06-01-2009, 07:59 PM

Remember when Obama's teleprompter malfunctioned in March and he wound up thanking himself? There was no video of that too.

Yep, they tend to cover up that kind of stuff in a hurry.

FSP-Rebel
06-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Yep, they tend to cover up that kind of stuff in a hurry.
That's so frickin weak. Just one more thing that tells ya that the media is controlled w/o question.

dannno
06-02-2009, 12:40 AM
First person to find a video leak gets an e-cookie

YouTube - ELVIS COSTELLO "Watching the Detectives" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiNHe7BUqhc)

BuddyRey
06-02-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't care what Reuters says. YouTube or it didn't happen! :D

A. Havnes
06-02-2009, 07:36 AM
I don't care what Reuters says. YouTube or it didn't happen! :D

That's philosophical. If something is dropped down the memory hole before we all get a chance to see it, did it ever happen? ;)

Dr.3D
06-02-2009, 07:57 AM
That's so frickin weak. Just one more thing that tells ya that the media is controlled w/o question.

Well, they don't want anybody to point out that the king is wearing no clothes.

Join The Paul Side
06-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I will gladly wash the car of whoever posts the Youtube clip of this. :D

Dr.3D
06-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I will gladly wash the car of whoever posts the Youtube clip of this. :D

If somebody in China posts the clip, will you go over there and wash their bicycle?

Join The Paul Side
06-02-2009, 11:56 AM
If somebody in China posts the clip, will you go over there and wash their bicycle?

:rolleyes: :p

gilliganscorner
06-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Can't give you the youtube of the Chinese students laughing at him, but in lieu of that, there is always the classic...

Facepalm!

http://gilliganscorner.wordpress.com/files/2009/06/1aaaageith.jpg

:p:D

speciallyblend
06-02-2009, 12:47 PM

reading your post;) i kinda have a feeling you might have an inside source for glenn beck. i know i have had some harsh words for glenn beck,but i will make a promise to you here and now. If you can get Adam Kokesh on the Glenn Beck Show! I promise to unblock my tv's from fox to watch the Glenn Beck show again:) but only for his time slot;)

Knightskye
06-02-2009, 02:36 PM

I think it's more likely someone in Turkey would post the clip.

Maybe we should put one of those donate widgets we used to have on the homepage. :D

nbruno322
06-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Bump for video...

I cannot find this video for the life of me... Anyone speak Mandarin and can search Baidu.com (its like the Chinese Google)??? It seems that it has been purged from the English speaking web.

Knightskye
06-02-2009, 11:05 PM
All I've found so far is the speech Geithner made at Peking University:
http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/tg152.htm

The "Chinese assets are safe" line is apparently from a Q&A session, and of course the Treasury hasn't put the transcript of that up yet. ;)

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-02-2009, 11:08 PM
I have done my best to scour Chinese news agencies and while I have found references to Geithner, I have been unable to find a video.