PDA

View Full Version : LDS church establishes emergency communication network

Original_Intent
05-31-2009, 08:28 PM
I went to church today for the first time in a while. I don't want to speak out of school, but a special meeting was held to get all members part of an online emergency communication grid. They were quite emphatic that they wanted everyone signed up for it THIS WEEK. They said they have purchased satelite resources and expect to be able to maintain worldwide communications even in the event of a complete failure of "US government" means of communication.

No I am not saying they believe they have superior communications capabilities to the US government. I took it more to mean that if "the common people" are shut out from other means of communication, they will still be able to keep some form of worldwide contact outside of the normal system. They did not come right out and say that they just said that they were establishing alternate means of maintaining communication in case of "failure".

Also, there were reminders to work at preparing for an emergency, food storage, etc, that I haven't heard specifically mentioned in a while (that may just be because I haven't been in a while).

MsDoodahs
05-31-2009, 09:09 PM
OI, to your original post - very interesting!

I have what is probably a really dumb question. Wouldn't the gov't just shut them down in the event of some "emergency" or even take over their system?

Original_Intent
05-31-2009, 09:17 PM
OI, to your original post - very interesting!

I have what is probably a really dumb question. Wouldn't the gov't just shut them down in the event of some "emergency" or even take over their system?

I would love to respond but I do not know the answer. I don't know if the sattelites that they purchased are foreign owned, I expect that if the government wants them shut down they will be. I do not know the details at all, I only know that they held an hour long meeting today telling people to get signed up this week, and that it was meant to be operable outside of a complete failure of "regular communications". Beyond that I really have no idea.

Torch, I actually do agree with you regarding "the masses" of Christianity. However, I get the sense that you will get some grim satisfaction by seeing Christians faces being stomped on by jack booted thugs, I will have no satisfaction on seeing homosexuals or anyone else brought under tyranny.

Dr.3D
05-31-2009, 09:32 PM
The registration they had us fill out online required a membership number and date of confirmation. I can check if there is access for non-members.

That would be good, in the event of an emergency, people would know where to go to communicate.

specialkornflake
06-01-2009, 03:48 AM
I'd be interested in knowing if this was a simultaneous roll-out across the entire church or more of a phased thing?

idiom
06-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Wow, it took eight replies to get one that was remotely on topic.

If they own the sats then they have full control over them. They could be shot down or jammed, but any order to do anything with them would be unconstiti.... oh lol. Nah they're screwed.

Original_Intent
06-01-2009, 06:41 AM
I'd be interested in knowing if this was a simultaneous roll-out across the entire church or more of a phased thing?

My understanding was that it was worldwide rollout as of yesterday.

MsDoodahs
06-01-2009, 02:36 PM
OI, if you get additional info on how they plan for this to work, please share?

Thanks!

LibertyEagle
06-01-2009, 02:55 PM
I went to church today for the first time in a while. I don't want to speak out of school, but a special meeting was held to get all members part of an online emergency communication grid. They were quite emphatic that they wanted everyone signed up for it THIS WEEK. They said they have purchased satelite resources and expect to be able to maintain worldwide communications even in the event of a complete failure of "US government" means of communication.

No I am not saying they believe they have superior communications capabilities to the US government. I took it more to mean that if "the common people" are shut out from other means of communication, they will still be able to keep some form of worldwide contact outside of the normal system. They did not come right out and say that they just said that they were establishing alternate means of maintaining communication in case of "failure".

Also, there were reminders to work at preparing for an emergency, food storage, etc, that I haven't heard specifically mentioned in a while (that may just be because I haven't been in a while).

Thanks for the update. The Mormons are always ahead of the curve with regard to preparedness and I respect that enormously.

Original_Intent
06-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Hmm this may not have been as church wide as I thought. I ahve talked to a few people at work who went to church and they heard nothing about it at their meetings. It sure came across as a "big deal" in our ward(parish). But it may just be that our local leadership felt it was something important, from what I have heard today, it sure doesn't seem like it was a worldwide rollout by any means...

I will keep you all posted if I find out more.

Dr.3D
06-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Perhaps another thread should be started, pertaining to marriage, homosexuality and the state sanctioning of such things. It would be much simpler to keep track of what is going on in this thread's topic that way.

Omphfullas Zamboni
06-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi,

Interesting. If you can find any news articles relating to the original topic, submit them to this thread.

Cheers,
Omphfullas Zamboni

GunnyFreedom
06-01-2009, 03:47 PM
//

LibertyEagle
06-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Perhaps another thread should be started, pertaining to marriage, homosexuality and the state sanctioning of such things. It would be much simpler to keep track of what is going on in this thread's topic that way.

Done.

The "split" is here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=194398

Everyone, from here on out in this thread, please try to stay on-topic.

Thanks. :)

dannno
06-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Bump for more info