PDA

View Full Version : some schools ban hugging

disorderlyvision
05-31-2009, 02:48 PM
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/05/30/US-teenagers-big-on-hugging/UPI-47251243709088/

NEW YORK, May 30 (UPI) -- Hugging among U.S. teenagers has become so prevalent some schools say they've banned the embrace or imposed limits on how long they last.

"Touching and physical contact is very dangerous territory," said Noreen Hajinlian, principal of George G. White School, a junior high school in Hillsdale, N.J., which banned hugging. "It wasn't a greeting. It was happening all day."

Hajinlian's school is among those from New Jersey to Bend, Ore., that have clamped down on hugging, The New York Times reported Saturday.

Ritual hugging has become so popular that students feel pressured to partake, said Gabrielle Brown, a freshman at Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School in New York.

"If somebody were to not hug someone, to never hug anybody, people might be just a little wary of them and think they are weird or peculiar," Brown said.

The phenomenon reflects how physical boundaries have changed, said Amy Best, a sociologist at George Mason University.

"We display bodies more readily, there are fewer rules governing body touch and a lot more permissible access to other people's bodies," Best said.

torchbearer
05-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Sounds like the post office.

LATruth
05-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Some schools have banned physical contact entirely.

Dreamofunity
05-31-2009, 03:26 PM
"We display bodies more readily, there are fewer rules governing body touch and a lot more permissible access to other people's bodies," Best said.

Which is of course unacceptable. Ban all touching; lock up the impure hooligans.

TheEvilDetector
05-31-2009, 09:52 PM
At least we are still allowed to breathe and consume food and water. Hugging is just being greedy.

FSP-Rebel
05-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Nice to see that the state is forbidding cordial embraces between up and coming adults. :rolleyes: Reminds me of 1984...

SimpleName
05-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Teachers and Administrators seem to be horrified by bodily contact. Sometimes they see it and start going off about how school is a "working" environment and there is no need for that. Even if friends are just messing around, laughing and having a good time, they can't take it. They whine like children about it. I know 5 and 8 year olds who go "ewww" when people kiss. But this is no surprise. As always, turning children into clay that can be perfectly mended is the goal. Depriving children of love, family, friendship, social interaction, sexual relationships, or any emotion at all, they will eventually depend solely on the school and the government (one in the same of course) to bring about their happiness and comfort. They are doing a good job at it to. Glad I'm leaving the hole of despair very soon. 8 full days left! Then I'm gone until my children enter the brainwashing control center. Hope the control center will enjoy my weekly "meetings" with them. Revenge is sweet.

spotics
05-31-2009, 10:43 PM
I don't see the big deal. Go back to the 1950s and before and see if any school allowed hugging? Lets also look at religious schools. I doubt you'll find any hugging going on there.

pinkmandy
05-31-2009, 10:44 PM
At least we are still allowed to breathe and consume food and water. Hugging is just being greedy.

:D

andrewh817
05-31-2009, 11:57 PM
I don't see the big deal. Go back to the 1950s and before and see if any school allowed hugging? Lets also look at religious schools. I doubt you'll find any hugging going on there.

Okay..... but this isn't the 1950's. In the 50's you were a rebel for getting your ear pierced as a guy or cutting your hair short as a girl.

akihabro
06-01-2009, 05:07 AM
What's next no eye contact?

jsu718
06-01-2009, 05:15 AM

I think you'd be surprised by how many religious institutions are supportive of platonic affection.

ceakins
06-01-2009, 05:59 AM
So they are banning cultural diversity? I know several cultures where an embrace is a form of greeting.

Brian4Liberty
06-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Don't hug me, bro!! :D

Almost every "huggy" guy that I know openly admits that he will hug everyone in the room to create a chance to hug a hot chick. The remainder that hug are somewhat feminine. IMHO, hugging in today's society is a sign of feminization of our society. :eek:

Theocrat
06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/05/30/US-teenagers-big-on-hugging/UPI-47251243709088/

NEW YORK, May 30 (UPI) -- Hugging among U.S. teenagers has become so prevalent some schools say they've banned the embrace or imposed limits on how long they last.

"Touching and physical contact is very dangerous territory," said Noreen Hajinlian, principal of George G. White School, a junior high school in Hillsdale, N.J., which banned hugging. "It wasn't a greeting. It was happening all day."

Hajinlian's school is among those from New Jersey to Bend, Ore., that have clamped down on hugging, The New York Times reported Saturday.

Ritual hugging has become so popular that students feel pressured to partake, said Gabrielle Brown, a freshman at Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School in New York.

"If somebody were to not hug someone, to never hug anybody, people might be just a little wary of them and think they are weird or peculiar," Brown said.

The phenomenon reflects how physical boundaries have changed, said Amy Best, a sociologist at George Mason University.

Hugging is probably banned because with today's youth in schools, all it takes is one hug for a girl to end up in bed and pregnant later on.

TonySutton
06-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Hug bans are unhealthy.

A team from the University of North Carolina studied the effects of hugging on both partners in 38 couples.

The study showed hugs increased levels of oxytocin, a "bonding" hormone, and reduced blood pressure - which cuts the risk of heart disease.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4131508.stm

dannno
06-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Hugging is probably banned because with today's youth in schools, all it takes is one hug for a girl to end up in bed and pregnant later on.

http://api.ning.com/files/iBVaeswjqizroyuvYHfLjJfyujBMjph0PMzxJVcgQq4_/rofl128420417966490000.jpg

I think it takes a little more than just a hug..

heavenlyboy34
06-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Don't hug me, bro!! :D

Almost every "huggy" guy that I know openly admits that he will hug everyone in the room to create a chance to hug a hot chick. The remainder that hug are somewhat feminine. IMHO, hugging in today's society is a sign of feminization of our society. :eek:

Nah, I don't think so. All the European and hispanic guys I know don't mind hugging, and they're less feminized than the Americans-in my experience. (I've had European guy friends who don't mind the kiss on the cheek, even) The taboo against guys hugging is relatively new. If you read classic literature, you'll find masculine characters hugging in many cases. The feminization of this culture is more concerning in other areas...such as how men feel somehow "obliged" to behave meekly in confrontations, be subserviant to the State, and so on. My dad is a victim of this, and it's pretty pathetic (and my mom and sis agree).

It truly is sad to me to see grown men act like indecisive, wimpy, scared little girls. :p

heavenlyboy34
06-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Hug bans are unhealthy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4131508.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4131508.stm)

Interesting! Thnx. :cool:

heavenlyboy34
06-01-2009, 11:04 AM

LMFAO!!! :D:D:D:D:D ZOMG!! I must have been doing it wrong, cuz I've hugged dozens of girls in my youth, and not a single pregnancy resulted. :eek:

Brian4Liberty
06-01-2009, 11:36 AM
(I've had European guy friends who don't mind the kiss on the cheek, even) The taboo against guys hugging is relatively new.

It's definitely cultural. The US has been kinda anti-male hugging for a long time. It's changing now.

I remember seeing the male Soviet weightlifters give each other a big french kiss in celebration. Not my cup of vodka!

Perhaps I've been misled, but didn't male hugging originate as a way to give each other a quick frisk for weapons?

UK4Paul
06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
I thought this was from The Onion at first.

Hiki
06-01-2009, 11:57 AM
LMFAO!!! :D:D:D:D:D ZOMG!! I must have been doing it wrong, cuz I've hugged dozens of girls in my youth, and not a single pregnancy resulted. :eek:

Yeah same here. What's wrong in my hugging style? I've even kissed with my friends while drunk but no bed and pregnancies here :(

TheEvilDetector
06-01-2009, 11:59 AM
We can look forward to teachers running around to any hugging students with a stopwatch, timing the hugs and then going "Ok break up, hugging time is up".

heavenlyboy34
06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah same here. What's wrong in my hugging style? I've even kissed with my friends while drunk but no bed and pregnancies here :(

Maybe you and I have some sort of "hugging dysfunction" heretofore unheard of! :eek:

Reason
06-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Back when I was in middle school (which was a long time ago) they banned "open arm hugging" and told all the girls that the only reason that the guys wanted to hug them was to have an excuse to feel up their breasts...

However, all the kids thought it was hilariously retarded because the school suggested that we "close arm hug" instead which consisted of crossing your arms then "bumping" into each other...

So from then on for several months whenever there was a school official within sight we would all run into each other "closed arm hugging" like idiots until the school official walked away lol

It was hilarious and eventually everyone just forgot about the whole thing and everyone went back to acting normal with significant others hugging.

Brian4Liberty
06-01-2009, 02:14 PM
told all the girls that the only reason that the guys wanted to hug them was to have an excuse to feel up their breasts...

Like I said, many guys that l have known that liked to "hug" said exactly that. If they had hug others for cover, it was a small price to pay.