PDA

View Full Version : [Youtube] Peter Schiff gives the Libertarian Party some tough love: "Influence GOP!"

MRoCkEd
05-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Peter Schiff, keynote speaker at the LP of CT Convention, tells the audience that it is a waste of resources running as a minor party. "We haven't won anything in 40 years" and "we don't have another 40 years to try." Instead, he recommends joining the Republican party while it is in shambles in order to expand the influence of the libertarian wing.

YouTube - Peter Schiff gives the Libertarian Party some tough medicine "We Need to Influence the GOP!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ncLTFoTFa8)

He Who Pawns
05-31-2009, 12:56 PM
One of the smartest and ballsiest speeches in recent memory. And to top it off, the LP members actually cheered him!

5 stars.

pahs1994
05-31-2009, 01:05 PM
He is making alot of sence there, they haven't come close to winning anything. We can always change the name from republican party to libertarian once we have taken over :p

torchbearer
05-31-2009, 01:06 PM
He is making alot of sence there, they haven't come close to winning anything. We can always change the name from republican party to libertarian once we have taken over :p

for the mindless voters- its the name Republican that matters.
People vote for "R" regardless of the principle of the person.
We should make sure those "R" candidates are libertarian in principle.

pahs1994
05-31-2009, 01:10 PM
No doubt. I was just joking cause i know the 1% of LP'ers that oppose this would not vote for a R. Just like the 40% of the population that would not vote for an L just because there isn't an R next to the name.

All we really need is for the 1% of LP to run as R's and all those mindless straight party voters would be ours

pahs1994
05-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Is Conn. a closed or open primary?

it is closed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_primary

MRoCkEd
05-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Note:
Later someone asked him if he would step up as a libertarian republican for the CT 2010 senate race. His response: "Well, If I run, you'll know about it." ;)

Knightskye
05-31-2009, 01:53 PM
I think influencing the party is more probable than influencing the populace.

I would disagree with this idea if we'll end up with a Republican Party full of Tucker Carlsons.

MRoCkEd
05-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Video has been added to the popular "PeterSchiffChannel"
YouTube - Peter Schiff speech at the LP of CT , first steps into Politics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45sN9xbBOEE)

heavenlyboy34
05-31-2009, 02:19 PM
ughh...more of this "influence the republicans" tripe. :p This is soooo silly. The core constituency of these two parties will always fundamentally disagree (one of the reasons the LP began in the first place!). A "unity" movement will eventually splinter (we've seen some of this on RPFs already). Let individuals be themselves and fight for liberty the best way they can find, says I. :cool:

Parties are vastly overrated, anyways...and give undue justification to the State's existence. :p

GunnyFreedom
05-31-2009, 02:35 PM
ughh...more of this "influence the republicans" tripe. :p This is soooo silly. The core constituency of these two parties will always fundamentally disagree (one of the reasons the LP began in the first place!). A "unity" movement will eventually splinter (we've seen some of this on RPFs already). Let individuals be themselves and fight for liberty the best way they can find, says I. :cool:

Parties are vastly overrated, anyways...and give undue justification to the State's existence. :p

Jungles are overrated too. But if you want to catch a tiger, then you kind of have to enter one. After all, that's where they live. :(

He Who Pawns
05-31-2009, 03:06 PM
I bet the part of the speech about the "sham" GM bankruptcy would find interested viewers on youtube as well.

nobody's_hero
05-31-2009, 05:13 PM
I bet Peter Schiff tries to run as a Republican, doesn't get any support from the Republican neocon shot-callers, gets mad (but not surprised), changes his mind, runs as a Libertarian or independent, gets angry Republicans who are dissatisfied with their party's leadership to leave the Republican party; there is a massive revolt within the Republican party, and in act of outrage, they all vote for Mr. Schiff.

Then, Peter wins. :D

I can dream, can't I?

Thanks for sharing the video.

Might as well take over the Democratic party too, for good measure.

Knightskye
05-31-2009, 06:56 PM
I bet Peter Schiff tries to run as a Republican, doesn't get any support from the Republican neocon shot-callers, gets mad (but not surprised), changes his mind, runs as a Libertarian or independent, gets angry Republicans who are dissatisfied with their party's leadership to leave the Republican party; there is a massive revolt within the Republican party, and in act of outrage, they all vote for Mr. Schiff.

Then, Peter wins. :D

I can dream, can't I?

Or maybe Peter just runs as a Republican and wins.

But he'd have to announce that he's running.

heavenlyboy34
05-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Jungles are overrated too. But if you want to catch a tiger, then you kind of have to enter one. After all, that's where they live. :(

Or, I could just get a good gun and kill the friggin "tiger". ;):D:cool:

torchbearer
05-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Or, I could just get a good gun and kill the friggin "tiger". ;):D:cool:

One individual against a mob of armed tigers will lose. This is the law of the jungle.

MRoCkEd
05-31-2009, 07:54 PM
One individual against a mob of armed tigers will lose. This is the law of the jungle.
one must join the ranks of the tigers, adapt to the jungle, and gain influence among the beasts

torchbearer
05-31-2009, 07:57 PM
one must join the ranks of the tigers, adapt to the jungle, and gain influence among the beasts

now you are talking sense.

qwerty
06-01-2009, 05:44 AM
BUMP!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Stary Hickory
06-01-2009, 06:12 AM
OK people need to undertsand something about voters. Especially Republican voters. The Libertarian minded folks in the GOP simply want to be left alone. But they also don't want to bother with politics, they just don't want it to affect their lives.

So GOP candidates will say I am for lesser government, and to keep government out of your lives. And these voters say ok, I'll vote for you then. And then these voters don't follow whats going on in DC, they want to put no effort in the political process yet remain safe from the sins of big government. Obviously this is not going to work.

So just remember that many many people who vote GOP actually just want government to stay the hell out of their lives. This is compatiable with Libertarianism 100%.

speciallyblend
06-01-2009, 04:17 PM
we will see if CT LP'ers wake up and listen! look forward to see if they do. if we could only get the cp/lp/tp to come to a republican meeting the battle might be over already! sigh

heavenlyboy34
06-01-2009, 05:09 PM

Only to be mauled and eaten when one turns his back. ;)

torchbearer
06-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Only to be mauled and eaten when one turns his back. ;)

Don't turn your back, sleep with one eye open because liberty requires vigilance. Those before us weren't vigilant and mobsters took control of the ship.