Great Western Railway & Great Plains Express Engineering Consortium
$800 million for Land Acquisition & Lay-out

Dwight Beranek, Railroad Designer, Army Corps of Engineers,

William Herzog, Herzog Railroad Construction
Paul Copeland, Beatty-Balfour Rail Inc.
William M. Stout, Atlas Railroad Construction
Jeffrey M. Levy, Railworks Inc
Lorenzo Simonelli, GE Transportation
John Cavanaugh, Electro-Motive Diesel Inc.
Jens Soeby, Vestas Wind Systems
John Krenicki, Jr., GE Energy,
WSC Headquarters & 21 Plantations Consortium
$200 million for Land Acquisition & Lay-out
Michael Graves, Michael Graves Associates, Architect for Cheyenne, WSC

Headquarters, Great Hall Design for 21 Plantations, 31 Passenger &
Freight Train Stations
Wes Jackson, The Land Institute, Plantation Perennials
Prof. Joseph Thomasson, Ft. Hays State University, Greenhouses & Great
Plains Horticulture

Ernie Els, 18-Fairway Plantation Design
Retief Goosen, 18-Fairway Plantation Design

Proposed Honorary, Project Consultants

Mayor of Pueblo, Dave Galli
Mayor of Colorado Springs, Lionel Rivera
Mayor of Denver, John Hickenlooper
City Manager of Greeley, Roy H. Otto
City Manager of Ft. Collins, Darin Atteberry
Governor, C.L. Otter
Mayor of Idaho Falls, Jared Fuhriman
Chairman of Ft. Hall/Pocatello, Alonzo A. Coby
Mayor of Wichita, Carl Brewer
Governor, Brian Schweitzer,
Mayor of Billings, Ron Tussing
City Manager of Bozeman, Chris Kukulski
Mayor of Butte, Paul Babb
Governor, Dave Heineman,
Mayor of Lincoln, Chris Beutler
Governor, John Hoeven,
Mayor of Fargo, Dennis Walaker
Governor, Brad Henry
Mayor of Oklahoma City, Mick Cornett
Governor, Mike Rounds,
Congresswoman Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin
Mayor of Sioux Falls, Dave Munson
Governor, Rick Perry,
Congressman, Ron Paul
Mayor of McAllen, Richard F. Cortez
Mayor of Laredo, Raul G. Salinas
Mayor of Del Rio, Efrain V. Valdez
Mayor of Midland, Wes Perry
Mayor of Lubbock, Tom Martin
Mayor of Amarillo, Debra McCartt
Mayor of Logan, Randy Watts
Mayor of Ogden, Matthew R. Godfrey
Mayor of Salt Lake City, Ralph Becker
Mayor of Provo, Lewis K. Billings
Governor, Dave Freudenthal,
Mayor of Cheyenne, Jack Spiker
Mayor of Laramie, Klaus Hanson
Mayor of Casper, Paul Bertoglio
Mayor of Sheridan, Dave Kinskey

http://www.consciousmedianetwork.com/members/rbauval.htm

Distinguished Friends,

I have never met Robert Bauval, have never corresponded with him & certainly am in no position to speak for him....however...as one of his millions of readers, I can attest that he would be the ideal occupant of the position now wide open for Director General of UNESCO.

A construction engineer by profession, Bauval perhaps the world's foremost student of the Pyramids.

Born & raised in Egypt, Bauval is well-positioned to deal with two of the most poorly-maintained World Heritage sites on the planet...the Giza Plateau & the Cairo Museum of Antiquities.

The Giza Plateau, in spite of the fortune it brings in from tourists world-wide, has no greenery, shade or amenities to speak of. I was especially distressed by the condition of resident horses & donkeys who look underfed & neglected.

I don't know what a garbage pit is doing at a World Heritage site...but about a hundred meters from the entrance I saw one sorry Rocinante poking around in this pit like a pig.

Donkeys that I suppose were merely off-duty but looked like strays who should have been in the shade with water looked lost on the dusty landscape. ..& the ticket office is Third World.

The Cairo Museum, likewise, compared to museums around the world that are putting on Egyptian shows with well-appointed displays, smart brochures & fluttering banners outside, looks more like a warehouse. Dark & dusty with the same captions on the displays that might have been put on in the 1920s makes this Museum, along with the Plateau long overdue for renovation.

Egyptology, of late, has fallen on hard times...becoming something of a Rag & Bone operation with little thought that these master builders & astronomers might have anything to say to citizens of the 21st century.

UNESCO is long overdue for an eminent Egyptian...even if one, perhaps, with an inexplicable taste for pomme frites with mayonnaise. I ask those of you on this mailing list who might have something to say about it, to put in a word for the distinguished, Robert Bauval.

##############

It is going to be a hard habit to break, but the use of the word "Kingdom" referring to dynastic Egypt, in my opinion, is deceptive. The Upper & Lower States of Egypt were not kingdoms at all but Empires...the use of hieroglyphics rather than phonetic script is one sign of this...& the multitude of official deities is another.

In the pre-dynastic time of the "Followers of Horus", the "Hor Shemsu", we had refugees from a civilization wiped out when the level of the oceans rose 30 feet one day...& who had assembled along the Nile, near Memphis on the lower Nile & Abydos on the upper Nile.

Pre-dynastic Egypt had no need for hieroglyphs as all of the Hor Shemsu spoke the same language. The expression "Shall I draw you a picture?" is used when someone does not understand the point you are making.

The tern "Mandarin Chinese", for example, is used to describe an imperial language that had to be written in pictograms, as the majority of Chinese at the time did not understand it. Now that all Chinese understand this idiom, while the characters remain part of the cultural make-up of China, the idiom can easily be written in Roman script...& no longer being Imperial, it is no longer called "Mandarin"

American hieroglyphs...Indian sign language, moreover, were used to communicate with members of other tribes, not one's own tribe.

The structures built by the pre-dynastic Hor Shemsu, the Sphinx, Sphinx Temple & the Osirion at Abydos don't feature hieroglyphics because they were not Imperial structures...they were National structures.

For the purpose of building pyramids, the Big Ones, one needed a big work force...& as hunter gatherers don't build edifices, one needed a big, agrarian work force with a huge grain surplus.

This meant bringing locals into the equation...those who lived along the Nile...& locals, moreover, who during the four months of Inundation, lived on islands in the middle of the Nile, much like the Greeks in the Aegean.

These locals would have had their own gods...& would have brought them with them as they entered the Egyptian Empire..

National polytheisms, like those of the Greeks & Romans got along well enough with a no more than a dozen gods...& the Romans, moreover, had the view that all peoples worshiped the same gods...but only under other names.

Thus the gods of peoples conquered by the Romans were merged with the Roman gods, keeping the number a Decent Dozen.

When the merger included a famous, foreign god, a hyphen was employed..."Zeus-Ammon", for example, or "Time-Warner" or "Bonham-Carter".

Egyptians, however, took the route of the Hindus, & just added on...believing with the Gypsies, perhaps, that "Where there's room for six there's room for seven". Thus in ancient Egypt, you still have about a dozen famous gods, followed by a legion of assimilados.

Dynastic Egypt, then, was not only an Empire but a Designer Empire, with all the symbols of Imperial authority designed to assimilate the locals, worked out over time....& Time to ancient Egyptians, unlike Time to us, referred to a segment of a 26,000 year celestial cycle...so these Hor Shemsu did take their Time.

When the argument against there being a pre-Dynastic High Culture runs "You have "Culture A", then nothing for some thousands of years, then an identical "Culture B"
Things don't work like that", I would say that the reasoning is right but the equation is set up wrong.

From the Hor Shemsu to Cleopatra you had "Culture A"...the spoken language of the Hor Shemsu...that plus their awesome, ancient, technical knowledge.

"Culture B" begins with the First Dynasty when "Culture A" adopted the locals living along the Nile. This gives us the hieroglyphs, the leonine head-dress, the ankhs, crowns, crooks flails & other such things designed to make a big impression on these simple folk.

What I would like to see is the Old Language written in a stylish Roman script...& taught, perhaps, at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London for those who would like to become members of a troupe of "Pharaonic Players" who would specialize in doing cinematic reenactments of historical events.

Just as Mel Gibson made a movie in Aramaic with subtitles & one in Mayan, with subtitles...(& as Derek Jarman made one in Latin with subtitles), I think it would be a revelation to hear the oldest of languages introduced into the cinema.

While I have no eye for hieroglyphs I do have pretty good ear...& when writing for myself. use a phonetic shorthand. I have seen the orthography used for Coptic, (which looks a lot like cartoon cursing) & I know I could do better than that.

So, I say...How about an eminent Egyptian for UNESCO?

Regards,

Boulder, Neo-Confederate,

David Yuhas

p.s.

Back a few years ago when I was living in Cairo & making regular visits to the Giza Plateau,
I made the acquaintance of two young sisters, about 12 & 9 who lived a stone's throw from the site...& who spent their entire days sitting in the sun at the entrance to the site selling (or trying to sell), little, plaster of Paris Sphinxes to the tourists as they poured off the buses.

Seeing how little business they were doing...&...as I have mentioned, being sorely distressed at the condition of the local equines, I had this idea.

Instead of Sphinxes, the girls would sell bags of carrot pieces that the tourists could feed to the horses & donkeys. I made up a poster that said, in three languages, "Horses love carrots"...& then "Six pieces, $2" "Do mind your fingers!"

The idea here would be that their mother would organize the bags of carrots in the morning & the girls would sell them...by my calculation, earning about $30 per hour.

This, in itself, would present a problem, as grown men with their camels & horses would be lucky to earn that much in a day...& it would not be long before word got out of these two little squirts raking it in.

I had also made the acquaintance of a youthful camel owner named Alex, who spoke good English & seemed like a straight-shooter...so I made him this offer....

He would keep an eye on the girls...& at the end of the day, be in for 50% of the take. If anyone asked the girls about their business they would say that they were working for Alex for $5 a day. So far so good.

The next step was to get the approval of the girls' parents...so Alex went with the girls to their house...leaving me with the camel, the poster & a bag of carrots.

I had asked Alex if I should add " & Camels" to the sign "Horses love carrots" but he told me "Camels don't eat carrots".

So I'm sitting there...& the camel, much like a horse is nosing the bag of carrots...& I'm thinking "Alex only said that "Camels don't eat carrots" not that they shouldn't have any or that they didn't like them...so I didn't think it would hurt if I held one out.

Camels love carrots.

p.p.s.

I'm not happy with our new Supreme Court nominee... a Rosanne Barr without the refinement. With the "Towering Intellect" she is said to have, perhaps she will figure a way to blink without stirring the hair in her face. Tsk Tsk Tsk

p.p.p.s.

A little "Hall & Oates" with your Country?

YouTube - Sugarland - All I Want To Do: Video - Closed Captioned (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSyeto050ZU)