PDA

View Full Version : New Game: Say something nice about our fellow opponents

fourameuphoria
09-21-2007, 12:59 PM
In light of that blog that came out talking about five things we really need to do to improve our reputation, I think one idea is to be able to at least have some respect for the other candidates. I think we'll come off a lot better to people if we have something nice to say about their own candidate as well. So... new game: Everyone has to say something nice about the other candidates! (It doesn't hve to be true either!) Here's my attempts:

1) Giuliani:
-Likely didn't do too bad a job with salvaging NYC
-Though we can still cite him for fucking up 9/11 in many ways, I don't think he genuinely intends to try and capitlize off of 9/11, no matter what it may appear to be.

2) Thompson:
-I don't know about substance... but at least in style, he's got this thing nailed! He's pulling off the "real" conservative thing, the whole returning to federalism shtick, and the guy's become a top tier candidate purely by hype alone. Definately no Ronnie Reagan, but he seems to be a good public speaker, and someone who will communicate to people a lot better than some of the other top tiers.

3) McCain: Too long to list. I respect the guy a lot.

4) Romney: Uh oh... drawing blanks.. Though he's the real $pammer of the campaign, he's still put in a helluva lot of effort in this campaign, and has done many events. Also has the balls to do the "Ask Mitt anything" events. Also, probably the most qualified in terms of executive branch experience out of any of the candidates. Also did pretty well in school from what I hear. Of course, I don't care how intellectually or experientially qualified one is when there's no belief or value system behind it.

5) Huckabee: The B-Side to McCain. I disagree with his foreign policy, and it's almost tragic on how he did at the Sept. 5th debate. But none the less, one of the only other honest, and genuine candidates out there besides Ron Paul. And concerning the Sept. 5th debate, his rebuttals to Paul were substantially vacant, but politically, they were fucking gems!

6) Tom Tancredo: He'll end the DEA raids on cancer patients! The only other GOP guy who will do such! Also, I'm sure there was something well-intentioned behind "Nuke Mecca!"

7) Duncan Hunter: I'm sure that in his position alone, he's very experienced in issues of security / foreign policy (Though he's on the wrong side of the issue.)

8) Brownbacke: Ok, I don't got much. I guess it's good to have a Republican be able to promote the three state solution in Iraq.

Elwar
09-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Fred Thompson is tall and has a deep voice.

BenIsForRon
09-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Guliani would be very good at destroying america.

Omnis
09-21-2007, 01:05 PM
In all of the pictures, Duncan Hunter looks nice and stately behind the President, eagerly observing him sign the patriot and military commissions acts.

theseus51
09-21-2007, 01:09 PM
You misspelled Brownback's name on your list.

Anyway, I would say that Giuliani and Romney managed to be pretty fiscally conservative, considering the liberal nature of their city/state. Like balancing budgets without raising taxes or fees *too* much.

I have a lot of respect for Mccain as a person. The rest I don't know much about.

lucius
09-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Most are freakin CFR members hell bent on destroying our country...but they have alot of money and make us feel safe...

UtahApocalypse
09-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Mitt Romney DID save the Salt Lake 2002 Olympics.

FunkBuddha
09-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Fred sounds good! It's just that his voting record sucks.

BillyDkid
09-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Fred Thompson is tall and has a deep voice.Not to mention he is obese.

10thAmendmentMan
09-21-2007, 01:15 PM
When you can't say anything nice, then it's best to not say anything at all. This is why I usually try to avoid talking about the other candidates. :)

transistor
09-21-2007, 01:16 PM
I have nothing good to say about any of them

American
09-21-2007, 01:17 PM
If I was Chairman Mao I think they are all great except Ron Paul...:)

erowe1
09-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Well, since you didn't have much to say about Brownback, Hunter, Tancredo, and Huckabee, one highlight is that all of them are strongly pro-life, as is Paul. In that respect any of them are preferable to the front-runners.

1000-points-of-fright
09-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Fred's wife is hot in a Malibu MILF kinda way. But not as hot as Kucinich's wife. I would vote for him on that alone. If that little gnome of a guy can score her then he can do anything.

ChooseLiberty
09-21-2007, 01:50 PM
How about - "Candidate X would make a great __________."

Secretary of State
Chief of Staff
Assistant Undersecretary of Something

;)

The Dems used this in their recent debate.

ChooseLiberty
09-21-2007, 01:53 PM
don't forget -

Ambassador to Ghana.

Secretary of the Interior.

American
09-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Oh wait, I like to have my way with Dennis Kucinich wife, that count?

http://www.clevelandseniors.com/images/asian-indian/dennis-kucinich-and-wife.jpg

bygone
09-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Alright, I made fun of them, and I'm game to say a few nice things too.

Giuliani
This is on his list:

Propose a Constitutional Amendment Establishing a Presidential Line-Item Veto: A constitutional line-item veto would allow the President to fight for the national interest by cutting wasteful special interest programs without contributing to gridlock by vetoing an otherwise sound bill.

Source: http://www.joinrudy2008.com/commitment/indepth/2

Thompson
Fred wants "Investing in renewable and alternative fuels to promote greater energy independence and a cleaner environment."

Whether or not he would do this intelligently is another question; but at least it is on his agenda.

Source: http://www.fred08.com/Principles/PrinciplesSummary.aspx?View=OnTheIssues

McCain
His issues page is awful. It is 99% rhetoric. However, I did find one gem buried among the waste:

John McCain has taken a hard line against pedophiles that would use the Internet to prey upon children by proposing the first-of-its-kind national online registry for persons who have been convicted of sex crimes against children.

Source: http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/95b18512-d5b6-456e-90a2-12028d71df58.htm

Romney
Governor Romney will provide federal incentives for states to deregulate and reform their health insurance markets. This will bring down the cost of health insurance and facilitate greater consumer choice, while giving states the power to institute the reforms that suit them best.

In theory, it sounds good. There is no easy answer for these problems but his plan is among the better ones out there. It is more detailed than another candidate I know of...

Source: http://www.mittromney.com/News/Press-Releases/Policy_Briefing_Health_Care

Huckabee
Students with strong art and music programs have higher academic achievement overall, are far more likely to read for pleasure and participate in community service, and are less likely to engage in delinquent behavior. These programs have a powerful effect in leveling the academic playing field for students from lower socio-economic backgrounds. The study of music improves math scores, spatial reasoning and abstract thinking.

I very much like this.

Source: http://www.mikehuckabee.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Issues.View&Issue_id=7

Tom Tancredo
Homeland security plans which do not include enforcing our immigration laws and securing our borders are entirely inadequate. A CIS study of 94 terrorists prosecuted for their crimes in the U.S., found that nearly two thirds had committed immigration fraud. It is difficult then to justify the rigor, expense, and inconvenience of new safety measures at our airports and harbors, while leaving the door open for terrorists to slip across our southern border undetected.

A good point from Tom.

Source: http://www.teamtancredo.com/tancredo_issues_index.asp

Duncan Hunter
Additionally, I cosponsored H.R. 3268 (Gingrey-GA), the Eminent Domain Tax Relief Act of 2005, which abolished the capital gains tax on private property taken by the government through eminent domain. I also voted in favor of a legislative amendment Congressman Scott Garrett (R-NJ) offered to H.R. 3058, the FY2006 Transportation, Treasury, Housing and Urban Development, the Judiciary, the District of Columbia, and Independent Agencies Appropriations Act, prohibiting federal funding from being used to improve or construct infrastructure support on lands acquired through the use of eminent domain of private property for private development.

One of the most under-reported issues.

Source: http://www.gohunter08.com/inner.asp?z=4

Brownback
The United Nations continues to be the subject of great controversy. The U.N. has been instrumental in resolving a number of international disputes, and its work should not go unnoticed. However, it too often couples lofty ideals with poor execution. As such, reforming the U.N. must remain a priority. In the 104th Congress I supported the National Security Revitalization Act, which prohibited U.S. military forces from being placed under U.N. command and control in most situations. Further, it provided for the U.S. to be reimbursed for participation in U.N. peacekeeping operations. I believe we should reduce the size of the U.N., and that the U.S. should bear less of the organization’s financial burden. I have long supported - and will continue to support - efforts to condition our country’s U.N. dues on substantive U.N. reform.

On the right track here.

Source: http://www.brownback.com/s/Issues/tabid/60/Default.aspx

Comment
Everyone here can find at least one thing they like about other candidates. No one is asking you to support them or vote for them. I really think if you haven't looked at the rest of the candidates you really should. It will help you know what sets RP apart from the others and where they share common ground. It also will help you have intelligent discussion with people who support other candidates.

I think it would also show that you are not simply blindly supporting RP, but that instead you have a wide view of the Republican choices and are making an intelligent informed choice. That is certainly more attractive than blind faith.

lynnf
09-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Not to mention he is obese.

Not really! His cancer has thinned him out quite a lot! So thin now, he's almost only a skeleton left!

lynn

lucius
09-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Fred's wife is hot in a Malibu MILF kinda way. But not as hot as Kucinich's wife. I would vote for him on that alone. If that little gnome of a guy can score her then he can do anything.

Astute observation...a well-reasoned argument...member of Toastmasters no-doubt…I concur :D

JMann
09-21-2007, 02:18 PM
You are trying to get the people on here to say something nice about other candidate in the Republican primary? Good luck, most of the people here think that everyone other than Ron Paul are worse than Hitler. Goes back to the fact that with some many extremist supporting Paul it will be hard for him to attract mainstream support. Many of the people here seem to think everyone is out to get them and destroy the country and they couldn't possibly have good intentions.

What I would say is that ANY of the Republicans are far better than any of the Democrats.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-21-2007, 02:38 PM
In light of that blog that came out talking about five things we really need to do to improve our reputation, I think one idea is to be able to at least have some respect for the other candidates. I think we'll come off a lot better to people if we have something nice to say about their own candidate as well. So... new game: Everyone has to say something nice about the other candidates! (It doesn't hve to be true either!) Here's my attempts:

1) Giuliani:
-Likely didn't do too bad a job with salvaging NYC
-Though we can still cite him for fucking up 9/11 in many ways, I don't think he genuinely intends to try and capitlize off of 9/11, no matter what it may appear to be.

2) Thompson:
-I don't know about substance... but at least in style, he's got this thing nailed! He's pulling off the "real" conservative thing, the whole returning to federalism shtick, and the guy's become a top tier candidate purely by hype alone. Definately no Ronnie Reagan, but he seems to be a good public speaker, and someone who will communicate to people a lot better than some of the other top tiers.

3) McCain: Too long to list. I respect the guy a lot.

4) Romney: Uh oh... drawing blanks.. Though he's the real $pammer of the campaign, he's still put in a helluva lot of effort in this campaign, and has done many events. Also has the balls to do the "Ask Mitt anything" events. Also, probably the most qualified in terms of executive branch experience out of any of the candidates. Also did pretty well in school from what I hear. Of course, I don't care how intellectually or experientially qualified one is when there's no belief or value system behind it.

5) Huckabee: The B-Side to McCain. I disagree with his foreign policy, and it's almost tragic on how he did at the Sept. 5th debate. But none the less, one of the only other honest, and genuine candidates out there besides Ron Paul. And concerning the Sept. 5th debate, his rebuttals to Paul were substantially vacant, but politically, they were fucking gems!

6) Tom Tancredo: He'll end the DEA raids on cancer patients! The only other GOP guy who will do such! Also, I'm sure there was something well-intentioned behind "Nuke Mecca!"

7) Duncan Hunter: I'm sure that in his position alone, he's very experienced in issues of security / foreign policy (Though he's on the wrong side of the issue.)

8) Brownbacke: Ok, I don't got much. I guess it's good to have a Republican be able to promote the three state solution in Iraq.

troll

Hamburglar
09-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Fred Thompson has a nice red pick-up.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Fred Thompson is a child molester that plays it smart.

DjLoTi
09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Brownback wants to save internet radio

bygone
09-21-2007, 02:50 PM
This thread goes a long way to showing the real colors of people here.

Phil M
09-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Fred Thompson seems like he would be a do-nothing president (which is a plus for me)

Rudy seems to be the only candidate who believes in George Carlin's 11th Commandment (keep thy religion to thyself!)

Tancredo seems to have a vague understanding of federalism and local sovereignty.

Brownback was originally against the surge.

Richardson is sort of a moderate libertarian.

Gravel subscribes to Reason Magazine.

Joe Biden is an asshole, but in a good way.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-21-2007, 02:55 PM
This is a troll thread lol. The OP has 15 posts under his belt...

bygone
09-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Joe Biden is an asshole, but in a good way.

I'm laughing but I think you're right. Every time I see him talk I think something similar to this.

This is a troll thread lol. The OP has 15 posts under his belt...

Weak.

lucius
09-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Romney has really tapered off the teenage Thai lady boys...

Hillary celebrates in her diversity...

Obama, Islamofascist no-mo...

JosephTheLibertarian
09-21-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm laughing but I think you're right. Every time I see him talk I think something similar to this.

Weak.

Weak? Describing yourself? Some people are truly naive on here.

fourameuphoria
09-21-2007, 03:12 PM
So... your best response is calling me a troll?

You're right; let's not try and show some respect towards others. Instead, let's tell them they support CFR Fascists.

And while we're doing that, let's continue to whine about FOX News asking Dr. Paul loaded questions, while we simultaneously ask other voters "You wouldn't vote against the constitution, would you?!"

(Even though all of them *do* vote against the constitution by supporting CFR Fascists)

bygone
09-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Weak? Describing yourself? Some people are truly naive on here.

I am describing your reasoning for calling someone a troll. That would be obvious if you would remove your head from between your cheeks.

Givemelibertyor.....
09-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Huckabee has stood up for gun owners in the past.

Tancredo is tough on the immigration crisis.

Hunter is good on gun issues and immigration.

I really don't know anything about Brownback.

John McCain was in the shit and lived.

I can't really think of anything positive to say about Thompson, Giuliani, Romney, or any other the neo-cons I might have missed.

MsDoodahs
09-21-2007, 04:58 PM
I have nothing nice to say about any of them.

sandersondavis
09-21-2007, 05:25 PM
I have nothing nice to say about any of them.

RP has my vote. I'm 100% in.
Talking to real people, face to face, has a little bit different dynamic than blindly spewing thoughts across the internet. At times it might be helpful to say something nice about the other guy.

I religiously spend one hour a day getting my ass off and away from the computer spreading the RP message by walking the neighborhoods handing out flyers. Since I am out actually talking to real people I naturally run into people who favor another candidate.

I could:
1.) call these people "stupid assholes" and walk away smug in the belief that I have not wasted my time talking to idiots.

OR
2.) I could engage them in a short conversation and find out what their hot buttons are and then compliment them on the depth of their knowledge. Knowing a a few good things about their candidate and sharing that knowledge goes a long way toward making friends with these people. I could also try to work into the conversation a little bit about how RP shares their views. I then ask them to do me a favor and read the RP flyer because I want to know how they feel.

Which do you think is more productive?

JosephTheLibertarian
09-21-2007, 05:27 PM
So... your best response is calling me a troll?

You're right; let's not try and show some respect towards others. Instead, let's tell them they support CFR Fascists.

And while we're doing that, let's continue to whine about FOX News asking Dr. Paul loaded questions, while we simultaneously ask other voters "You wouldn't vote against the constitution, would you?!"

(Even though all of them *do* vote against the constitution by supporting CFR Fascists)

We have no reason to compliment other candidates, this is one of the most retarded threads I've ever come across. You're trying to undermine the effort.

MsDoodahs
09-21-2007, 05:31 PM
RP has my vote. I'm 100% in.
Talking to real people, face to face, has a little bit different dynamic than blindly spewing thoughts across the internet. At times it might be helpful to say something nice about the other guy.

I have nothing nice to say about them, and I don't say anything at all about them in public. Edited to add that I will not vote for any other candidate PERIOD. End of story.

I'm not going to bother offering up false compliments.

speciallyblend
09-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Ron and Paul are my candidates,ooo I like that other candidate RON PAUL,HE ROCKS;)

MsDoodahs
09-21-2007, 06:16 PM
lol, I read the thread title aloud to DooDahs and here is his response:

Guiliani is taller than Pol Pot.

:D

(edited to add: I don't take DooDahs with me when I am out campaigning for the good doctor.)

BillyDkid
09-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Well, since you didn't have much to say about Brownback, Hunter, Tancredo, and Huckabee, one highlight is that all of them are strongly pro-life, as is Paul. In that respect any of them are preferable to the front-runners.
Well, there's pro-life and there's pro-life. There being opposed to abortion while supporting the sacrifice of other people's children in a corrupt war so some venal politician can save face and there's being pro-life across the board. Seems that many peoples interest in defending life stops once a person is born.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Huckabee: your teeth looks really bad, but you do speak well to the sheep

Thompson: you got the hype, yet youre a child molester

Tancredo: your presidency would be both entertaining and COMPLETELY INSANE

Giuliani: you can swim very nicely....being you're a giant sewer rat and all

Romney: nice tan, where do you find the time for the tanning bed? or is it in your bus?

Hunter: hmm... go fuck yourself :)

Brownback: ugh... I'm done with the compliments

OptionsTrader
09-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Fred Thompson would make great voice-overs for Ron Paul commericals.

slantedview
09-28-2007, 11:41 AM

LOL. winner!

acstichter
09-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Sorry, we need a thread for rebuttal to some of these nice comments regarding Giuliani, Thompson, etc for those of us who would disagree.

I will add that I like Tancredo and feel he is genuine when he speaks. My second favorite of the candidates last night on PBS.

AFTFNJ
09-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Hillary looks like bill.

SWATH
09-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Huckabee is really good at getting shot up from 2nd tier to 1st tier in presidential elections for doing nothing.

Thompson is really good at being top tier without being a candidate and by doing nothing.

Tancredo is good at speaking what he believes yet still going nowhere.

Giuliani is very good at pretending to be a Republican, he has a great many people fooled.

Romney is good at having nice hair and somehow always evoking the image of an ascot when I look at him.

Hunter is good at being relatively paletable to the neo-con chickenhawks and yet at the same time deflect any sense of support.

Brownback is good at passing himself off as not being blind by just taking off his big dark glasses although the squinting is a dead giveaway. With his half-forced smile combined with his subtle look of embarassed confusion he also is good at making you feel like you farted by accident just by looking at you.

Keyes is good at making Ron Paul no longer viewed as the kookiest Republican.

McCain is good at holding back his urge to strangle everybody so that's a plus.

RonPaulFever
09-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Hillary looks like bill.

There's a theory that eventually a pet's owner (Hillary) begins to take on the appearance of the pet (Bill)

RonPaulFever
09-28-2007, 12:13 PM

Winner

JosephTheLibertarian
09-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Giuliani: you can swim very nicely....being you're a giant sewer rat and all

Winner

richard1984
09-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Here at UTK we have this thing called the "Fred Thompson Papers" in our Modern Political Archives. here's the website: http://mpa.utk.edu/fredthompson.htm

So there should be plenty of information in there to give people a hint of his true colors...so that's good! :rolleyes:

(I wonder how many people have actually gone and researched him there.)

archemeedees
09-28-2007, 12:25 PM
I think that's a great idea; the only problem is that I stopped studying the other candidates early on because none of them talked any sense and listening to them speak became a chore either in temper-control or plain old staying awake. I get too bored listening to any of them to be able to even tell you who most of them are anymore.

I have nothing nice to say about Giuliani. McCain did some noble things as a PoW, and Romney has nice hair. Barack Obama seems to have a good heart. Um.... sorry, too infatuated with Ron Paul's campaign to know enough to say anything about anyone else.

However, you are right that we should not be attacking the others personally.

Kregener
09-28-2007, 01:05 PM
1) Giuliani:
-He genuinely intends to try and capitlize off of 9/11, because he survived it.

2) Thompson:
-He played the president of NASCAR in a movie and has a "child bride".

3) McCain: Was a POW in another failed war.

4) Romney: He isn't a Jehovah's Witness.

5) Huckabee: He didn't wipe Mena, Arkansas off the map, thus killing the good, law-abiding Americans who live there along with the cocaine runners from the CIA.

6) Tom Tancredo: Will do whatever he can to stop the illegal invasion from the south.

7) Duncan Hunter: After serving on the House Armed Services Committee for 26 years, he has the sheer GUTS to say: "The fact that America has not been attacked since September 11th indicates to me that we are on the right course."

8) Brownback: "America must stand firmly alongside Israel in the fight against Islamic extremism." Perhaps he does not mean: "America must continue to rape the taxpayer to send billions to Israel"? I dunno.

fourameuphoria
09-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Well, I started this thread hoping that as Ron Paul supporters, we could not only bring an obscure candidate into the mainstream (Mission accomplished, btw) but also return some civility and dialogue to the political debate, because there's so much hatred spewing both sides. I suggested we pretend to have some nice things to say about the other candidates, not that we actually like them. When I look at blog comments in general, I've come to the conclusion that as much as Giuliani needs to read books on Terrorism, there are many RP supporters who need to read a page or two from "How To Win Friends And Influence People." But no, I guess I'm undermining the effort. If you want to know why stories like the Ferry thing get blown ridiculously out of proportion by our opponents, you need to look no further than the sarcastic reception this thread has received.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Well, I started this thread hoping that as Ron Paul supporters, we could not only bring an obscure candidate into the mainstream (Mission accomplished, btw) but also return some civility and dialogue to the political debate, because there's so much hatred spewing both sides. I suggested we pretend to have some nice things to say about the other candidates, not that we actually like them. When I look at blog comments in general, I've come to the conclusion that as much as Giuliani needs to read books on Terrorism, there are many RP supporters who need to read a page or two from "How To Win Friends And Influence People." But no, I guess I'm undermining the effort. If you want to know why stories like the Ferry thing get blown ridiculously out of proportion by our opponents, you need to look no further than the sarcastic reception this thread has received.

I wonder what your real agenda is.

fourameuphoria
09-28-2007, 01:19 PM
I wonder what your real agenda is.

Here's my real agenda: It's a very expensive agenda too, since I'm a college student with a minimum wage job.

To: fourameuphoria@yahoo.com
Subject: Thank you for your generous donation
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:22:08 -0500
From: "Ron Paul 2008" <mail@ronpaul2008.com> Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Ron Paul 2008

Mr. Paul Melnyk,

Thank you very much for your donation of $75.00 to the Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign.

Your donation will allow us to expand and grow our campaign.

We depend on donors like you to help us spread the message of freedom, peace and prosperity through Ron Paul’s candidacy.

Thanks for being a part of the campaign!

Your confirmation number:
T35979-92858371

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:18:01 -0500
From: "Ron Paul 2008" <mail@ronpaul2008.com> Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Ron Paul 2008

Mr. Paul Melnyk,

Thank you very much for your donation of $100.00 to the Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign.

We depend on donors like you to help us spread the message of freedom, peace and prosperity through Ron Paul’s candidacy.

T37048-92993617

Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:40:09 -0500
Ron Paul 2008

Mr. Paul Melnyk,

Thank you very much for your donation of $50.00 to the Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign.

T38795-93135554

I'm suggesting that we quit alienating the fuck out of people with the New World Order stuff, copying and pasting the Website's talking point bulletins followed by "RON PAUL 2008!!!1" all over the blogosphere, and implying that a vote against Ron Paul *must* be a vote against the constitution/liberty (Which it is). If you think that must qualify me for a Giuliani agent in disguise, then by all means, have the moderator ban me. That way, I can get back to working on the Ron Paul group at my college's campus.

By the way, you're welcome for the huge turnout in Seattle. I think it was me and a few others' tabling at Hempfest that definately contributed.

awigo50
09-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Huckabee isn't too bad of a guy... I understand most of his positions. He speaks clearly, and his debate responces are normally pretty good.

Thompson has an odd history. He believes in term limits, which is usually a good thing as incumbents have a huge advantage over newcomers, regardless of ideas. His energy policies are reasonable.(no subsidies, legalizing drilling)

Brownback... is good at not answering debate questions.

cujothekitten
09-28-2007, 01:27 PM
1) Giuliani:
-Pretty socially liberal which I like. I'm a libertarian so when people are open to homosexuals being able to marry it makes me happy
-He also has a decent sense of humor and isn't as uptight as many of the other candidates.

2) Thompson:
-Thompson is a federalist, which makes him A-Ok in my book. He's socially conservative but he thinks much of it should be left up to the state... much like Paul. I'd probably vote for him if I could trust him.
-He's a decent actor too.

3) McCain:
-I appreciate his service and his firm stance against torture.

5) Huckabee:
-I respect his faith even though I'm an atheist. He's one of the most genuine candidates running and I really think he's a force to be reckoned with

6) Tom Tancredo:
-I don't know much about him outside his stance on immigration. I think he gets labeled a racist too often... clearly he's just doing what he thinks is best for the country. I wish people would discuss his plan instead of label him.

7) Duncan Hunter:
-NOTHING... he's a moron
Hi Ziad... hope your reading this :)

smtwngrl
09-28-2007, 01:29 PM
We have no reason to compliment other candidates, this is one of the most retarded threads I've ever come across. You're trying to undermine the effort.

O.K., no one is trying to undermine the effort. :p

Personally, I don't think I could vote for anyone else, even if Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination. I would end up writing in his name. He has what we need in a President, and no one else even comes close.

But unless you see things in black and white--as, "we are pure good and they are pure evil".....(Let's see, where have I heard that before. lol...)---then everyone has some good quality. And if we're looking at their failings 100% of the time, that's going to come across in our campaigning efforts.

So:

Giuliani--Next to Ron Paul, he's the best at managing his campaign funds.

Brownback--He's not afraid to stand up for what he believes in. And he doesn't badmouth the other candidates.

Tancredo--I believe he has integrity, and I like what he said at the Value Voters Debate about being on the stage with others of integrity. He likes and respects Ron Paul. They have worked together in the past in Congress and on the Liberty Committee (a group of members of the house who scanned legislation for things that would negatively impact liberty, and then made that info available to interested citizens, so they could contact their representatives about those bills). Tancredo's biggest problem has been since 911. That is where he got off track.

McCain--I like his stance regarding torture, and the fact that he is not afraid to say that, though he is in the minority.

Thompson--He knows his weaknesses (public speaking, for example). That is probably why he is avoiding as many of the debates as possible.

Cox--My heart warmed to him at the end of the Value Voters debate when I saw him listening to Ron Paul's closing remarks and nodding emphatically in agreement.

Huckabee--He is personable, and is not afraid to express his faith.

Keyes--He used to stand up for the Constitution, and to advocate things that were constitutional. (He is another casualty of 911.)

Romney--He is family oriented. He is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (so am I). So at some level, he has good personal moral standards. (But that makes it harder to take his politics, especially his support of things like pre-emptive war, torture, and giving up freedom. How can he "not get" those things, :p especially as they don't even fit with what we believe. The net result is that I think he is more scary than any of the other Republicans except Giuliani, and I'm not even sure Giuliani is more scary.)

archemeedees
09-28-2007, 01:40 PM
-He also has a decent sense of humor and isn't as uptight as many of the other candidates.

That's true. He did have a good sense of humor about the lightning zapping his microphone during one of the debates.

No I'm still not going to vote for him.

Fourameuphoria's suggestion isn't traitorous, it's good. There's nothing wrong with looking for and bringing out the best in others even if we don't totally agree with them. We don't have to support the bad in them to support the good in them.

Corydoras
09-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Nobody has said anything nice about Alan Keyes, so here goes:

Alan Keyes represents religious diversity by being of one of the liturgical Christian traditions (Catholic, Orthodox, conservative Lutheran) and actually sounding as if he has religious beliefs (unlike Giuliani).