PDA

View Full Version : Letter to the Editor misrepresents Ron Paul

Trassin
09-21-2007, 12:35 PM
In a letter to the editor of Souther Illinois University Carbondale a student misrepresents Ron Paul's stance on "gay rights". I highly urge you to write to the editor and explain the true reasons that Ron Paul voted for these bills and what his true feelings on "gay rights" are. I'll post my letter here once it is finished.

Link (http://media.www.siude.com/media/storage/paper1096/news/2007/09/21/LetterToTheEditor/Letter.Ron.Paul.Supporters.Do.Your.Homework-2982678.shtml)

Trassin
09-21-2007, 01:23 PM
I added this to the comments section but have been unable to find a way to write directly to the editor.

Kyle, I must say that I am disappointed in your lack of research into why Ron Paul voted as he did on each of these bills. Allow me to address that issue for you.

"Ron Paul has voted against adoption rights for gays" - Kyle
The amendment that you are referring to, H.AMDT.356, was part of the 2000 Appropriations Bill for Washington D.C., H.R.2587. Dr. Paul's support of the amendment had nothing to do with homosexual adoption. He supported it because it would prevent federal funds from being used for something not listed as the federal governments responsibility by the United States Constitution. Dr. Paul believes that this is a state and local issue and as such the federal government has no business regulating or financing it.

"he co-sponsored the so-called "Marriage Protection Act" in 2004" - Kyle
Yes, he did. The reason Dr. Paul supported it however is due to his belief in individual states and their citizens rights to regulate their own laws. The Marriage Protection Act prevents federal judges from forcing one state to recognize a same-sex marriage that occurred in another. Here is what Dr. Paul had to say about it, "Mr. Speaker, as an original cosponsor of the Marriage Protection Act (HR 3313), I strongly urge my colleagues to support this bill. HR 3313 ensures federal courts will not undermine any state laws regulating marriage by forcing a state to recognize same-sex marriage licenses issued in another state. The Marriage Protection Act thus ensures that the authority to regulate marriage remains with individual states and communities, as the drafters of the Constitution intended." - Ron Paul, Before the House of Representatives, July 22, 2004

You failed to mention, Kyle, that Dr. Paul voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment .

"He has voted against a woman's right to choose" - Kyle
Again this is due to federal over reaching.
"Under the 9th and 10th amendments, all authority over matters not specifically addressed in the Constitution remains with state legislatures. Therefore the federal government has no authority whatsoever to involve itself in the abortion issue." - Ron Paul, January 31, 2006

"the use of stem cell research to cure diseases" - Kyle
Once again, Dr. Paul believes that this is a state and local issue and that the federal government should not be involved.
"The issue is whether the federal government should fund stem cell research at all. Clearly there is no constitutional authority for Congress to do so, which means individual states and private citizens should decide whether to permit, ban, or fund it." - Ron Paul, May 31, 2005

If you want the federal government to tell you how to live your life then I suppose you may take issue with how Dr. Paul voted on some of these bills/amendments. However, if you are for personal liberty and freedom then you will see that Ron Paul has by far the best record of all candidates running for president in 2008.

Trassin
09-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Found a link to submit a letter to the editor. Please, everyone take the time to write a short response to this mis-informed individual and send it to the editor.

Link (http://www.siude.com/home/lettertotheeditor/)

Trassin
09-23-2007, 05:44 PM
They accepted my letter to the editor and are planning on printing it, although I did have to revise it a bit for size considerations. Here is the final letter:

I am writing this in response to Kyle Raccio’s letter published on 9/21/07.

"Ron Paul has voted against adoption rights for gays" - Kyle
The amendment that you are referring to was part of the Appropriations Bill fiscal yr. 2000 for Washington D.C. Dr. Paul's support of the amendment had nothing to do with homosexual adoption. He supported it because, per the 10th amendment, it would prevent federal regulation, through financing, of something not listed as a federal responsibility in the United States Constitution.

"he co-sponsored the… "Marriage Protection Act" in 2004" - Kyle
Yes, he did. The reason Dr. Paul supported it is due to his belief in individual state’s and their citizen’s right to regulate their own laws. This bill prevents federal judges from forcing one state to recognize a same-sex marriage that occurred in another. "…the Marriage Protection Act… ensures that the authority to regulate marriage remains with individual states and communities, as the drafters of the Constitution intended." - Ron Paul, On the House floor, July 22, 2004

You failed to mention, Kyle, that Dr. Paul voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment.

"He has voted against a woman's right to choose and the use of stem cell research to cure diseases” - Kyle
Dr. Paul has clearly stated that any regulation of these issues on a national level is federal over reaching and that the constitution requires that they be regulated at a state and local level.

"Under the 9th and 10th amendments, all authority over matters not specifically addressed in the Constitution remains with state legislatures. Therefore the federal government has no authority whatsoever to involve itself in the abortion issue." - Ron Paul, January 31, 2006

"The issue is whether the federal government should fund stem cell research at all… there is no constitutional authority for Congress to do so …individual states and private citizens should decide whether to permit, ban, or fund it." - Ron Paul, May 31, 2005

If you want the federal government to tell you how to live your life then you may take issue with Dr. Paul’s voting record. However, if you are for personal liberty and freedom then you will see that Ron Paul has by far the best record of all candidates running for president in 2008.