PDA

View Full Version : Enumerated Powers Act

Volitzer
05-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Enumerated Powers Act

YouTube - Constitutional Showdown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRUBTUfPDLs)

sluggo
05-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Downsize DC action item on the "Enumerated Powers Act"

http://www.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/87

We should be making as much noise about this as we did about HR 1207.

LATruth
05-29-2009, 05:19 PM
This would neuter congress and the executive branch, therefor getting voted down and vetoed every rip.

sluggo
09-17-2009, 02:43 PM
bump. :)

Subject: Update on the Enumerated Powers Act for September, 2009

The Enumerated Powers Act (HR 450) would require Congress to identify the Constitutional authority for each law it passes. We think this requirement is an important step on the long road to restoring Constitutional limits and the Bill of Rights.

When we last reported to you on August 11 the bill had 48 co-sponsors in the House. Good news! Now it has 51!

Unfortunately, the companion bill in the Senate (S. 1319) is still stuck at 21 co-sponsors, but perhaps we can change that.

We think letters to Congress from DC Downsizers have played a big role in recruiting all of these co-sponsors. We know of no other organization that is pushing this bill at all, let alone as much as we have. Let's keep pushing.

First, check the lists below to see if one or more members of your Congressional delegation is already co-sponsoring this legislation. Then, use our Educate the Powerful Systemsm to write a letter to your delegation, thanking or requesting participation, as the case may be. (http://www.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/87)
Here's the list of House co-sponsors of HR 450 . . .

Bachmann, Michele [MN-6] -- Barrett, J. Gresham [SC-3] -- Bilbray, Brian P. [CA-50] -- Bilirakis, Gus M. [FL-9] -- Bishop, Rob [UT-1] -- Blackburn, Marsha [TN-7] -- Rep Boozman, John [AR-3] -- Broun, Paul C. [GA-10] -- Conaway, K. Michael [TX-11] -- Culberson, John Abney [TX-7] -- Davis, Geoff [KY-4] -- Deal, Nathan [GA-9] -- Flake, Jeff [AZ-6] -- Forbes, J. Randy [VA-4] -- Foxx, Virginia [NC-5] -- Franks, Trent [AZ-2] -- Garrett, Scott [NJ-5] -- Gohmert, Louie [TX-1] -- Goodlatte, Bob [VA-6] -- Heller, Dean [NV-2] -- Herger, Wally [CA-2] -- Hoekstra, Peter [MI-2] -- Hunter, Duncan D. [CA-52] -- Johnson, Sam [TX-3] -- Kline, John [MN-2] -- Lamborn, Doug [CO-5] -- Mack, Connie [FL-14] -- McCaul, Michael T. [TX-10] -- McCotter, Thaddeus G. [MI-11] -- McHenry, Patrick T. [NC-10] -- Miller, Jeff [FL-1] -- Moran, Jerry [KS-1] -- Myrick, Sue Wilkins [NC-9] -- Neugebauer, Randy [TX-19] -- Olson, Pete [TX-22] -- Paul, Ron [TX-14] -- Poe, Ted [TX-2] -- Posey, Bil l [FL-15] -- Price, Tom [GA-6] -- Roe, David P. [TN-1] -- Ryan, Paul [WI-1] -- Sessions, Pete [TX-32] -- Smith, Lamar [TX-21] -- Terry, Lee [NE-2] -- Thompson, Glenn [PA-5] -- Wamp, Zach [TN-3] -- Westmoreland, Lynn A. [GA-3] -- Wittman, Robert J. [VA-1] Tiahrt, Todd [KS-4] Rep Wilson, Joe [SC-2] Souder, Mark E. [IN-3]
Here's the list of Senate co-sponsors for S. 1319 . . .

Barrasso, John -- Brownback, Sam -- Bunning, Jim -- Burr, Richard -- Chambliss, Saxby -- Crapo, Mike 73287 -- DeMint, Jim -- Ensign, John -- Enzi, Michael B. -- Graham, Lindsey -- Grassley, Chuck -- Hutchison, Kay Bailey -- Inhofe, James M. -- Isakson, Johnny -- Kyl, Jon -- McCain, John -- McConnell, Mitch -- Risch, James E. 73287 -- Thune, John -- Vitter, David -- Wicker, Roger F.
Use DownsizeDC.org's campaign for the Enumerated Powers Act to send your letter to Congress. (http://www.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/87)
My two Senators are already co-sponsors, but my House Representative is not, so here's what I said in my personal comments:

"I applaud my Senators, McCain and Kyl, for co-sponsoring this bill, and urge my Representative, Ms. Giffords, to join them by co-sponsoring the House version, HR 450. I view support for this bill as evidence that you want to walk-the-talk of your oath to serve, protect, and defend the Constitution."
You can send your letter to Congress here. (http://www.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/87)
To stay on pace to exceed the 42,639 letters Downsizers sent to Congress last month we must send 2,373 letters today.
Thank you for being a part of the growing Downsize DC Army. To see how fast your Army is growing, please check out the Keeping Score report below my signature.
Perry Willis
Communications Director
DownsizeDC.org, Inc.
KEEPING SCORE REPORT

Matt Collins
09-17-2009, 03:14 PM
We already have the 10th Amendment. Why do we need this?

Why not just follow the Constitution as it's written?

yokna7
09-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Excellent question Matt Collins, but that would be too obvious. Critics or opponents (or liars as i call them) would cite Article I section 8. That seems to be a vehicle that can easily be distorted to their benefit.

lx43
09-17-2009, 07:25 PM

Mike the past 100 years or more of this country has shown that the Congress and President have complete disregard for the constitution and everything that it stands for. First, Why not force them to site exactly where in the constitution they get the authority for each bill, admendment or whatever they are trying to pass? They can't always sight commerce clause or general welfare clause. It will also give people who object to the bill another opportunity to point out that this is wrong.

Second, I believe it will let us know if they had read the bill (I know stretching it). lol

Here is what downsizedc says about why this is good:

So what difference will it make if we require them to cite "chapter and verse" the section of the Constitution that gives them authority to pass a law, create or maintain a program, or impose a tax?

Well, it might slow them down.
It might mean that they reconsider a proposal instead of introducing it.

But we freely admit, this new law won't stop them.

We believe the real power of this requirement is that it would, over time, build the evidence necessary to make some real reforms. After all, how many different, un-constitutional actions per day can they blame on the Commerce Clause before a judge rules or a reforming group stands up and says, "This is a hole large enough to drive a fleet of trucks through; let's tighten it up!"

EPA might even, eventually, embarrass Congress. As Walter Williams has pointed out, "Congressmen, openly refusing to live up to their oath of office, exhibit their deep contempt for our Constitution." EPA would expose these politicians because their actions would speak louder than their phony rhetoric.

There's an old Texas legend that says, a young politician by the name of Lyndon Johnson (yes, that Lyndon Johnson), was looking for an edge in his campaign. Johnson suggested to his campaign manager that they start a rumor that his opponent enjoyed sexual congress with pigs.

His campaign manager reacted in shock: "Lyndon you know that's not true."

"Sure," Lyndon is alleged to have replied, "I just want to watch him deny it."

Well, Congress does lots of unconstitutional things. And that's no rumor. Walter Williams is almost certainly right; most members of Congress seem to have "deep contempt for our Constitution."

Now, we just want to see them compelled to deny that charge.

sluggo
09-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Jim Babka from Downsize DC discusses the "Enumerated Powers Act" on Freedom Watch with the Judge.

http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html?playerId=011008&streamingFormat=FLASH&referralObject=9732422&referralPlaylistId=f52a51671863b92315961052a736ef0 a187b26ce

tremendoustie
09-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Downsize dc's explanation is exactly right. It's encouraging that they recognize the real advantage of this bill -- education -- rather than thinking it's a magic pill which will suddenly restrain politicians. The only thing that really restrains politicians is what people will put up with, and this would definitely help make people more aware.

Matt Collins
09-19-2009, 11:50 AM
I support it, but really I don't see it as necessary.

Warrior_of_Freedom
09-19-2009, 12:48 PM
I support it, but really I don't see it as necessary.

Yeah, they will probably just write as the citation "The constitution doesn't explicitly disallow us from passing this piece of legislation"