PDA

View Full Version : Ex-soldier apologizes to Iraqi family for raping, killing

Liberty Star
05-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Will Fox news have the Iraqi family's interview during prime time?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/28/kentucky.iraq.murder/

Kludge
05-28-2009, 07:10 PM
"He added, 'I know that I have done evil, and I fear that the wrath of the Lord will come upon me on that day. But, I hope that you and your family at least can find some comfort in God's justice.'"

Hm.

sevin
05-28-2009, 09:05 PM
So there probably are pics of soldiers raping children. Great.

ghengis86
05-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Green said he now sees the Iraq war as "intrinsically evil, because killing is intrinsically evil."

Epic
05-28-2009, 09:34 PM
"Green said he now sees the Iraq war as "intrinsically evil, because killing is intrinsically evil.""

I have a feeling that if this guy wasn't partaking in a war, he'd probably be okay and wouldn't have been a criminal. Kind of for the same reason that cops do crazy shit. Cause they can.

ghengis86
05-28-2009, 09:55 PM
"Green said he now sees the Iraq war as "intrinsically evil, because killing is intrinsically evil.""

I have a feeling that if this guy wasn't partaking in a war, he'd probably be okay and wouldn't have been a criminal. Kind of for the same reason that cops do crazy shit. Cause they can.

agreed; give an immature kid a gun and power over a de-humanized population, throw him in a moral/ethical/physical/psycological/every-kind-of-immaginable shit storm, and i can see this being a high percentage outcome

ghengis86
05-28-2009, 09:58 PM
So there probably are pics of soldiers raping children. Great.

nearly 2,000 of them

no offense, but where have you been?
http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2009-05-28-iraq-abuse-photos_N.htm

or were you like me and upon first hearing about this thought, "there is no way in hell this could possibly have gotten worse..."

this truly makes me sick

sevin
05-29-2009, 07:36 AM
or were you like me and upon first hearing about this thought, "there is no way in hell this could possibly have gotten worse..."

this truly makes me sick

I just had trouble believing it at first. I've always been very supportive of the troops, whether I agree with the war or not. It's disappointing that any of them could sink so low.

ghengis86
05-29-2009, 07:51 AM
I just had trouble believing it at first. I've always been very supportive of the troops, whether I agree with the war or not. It's disappointing that any of them could sink so low.

can a government fight wars without troops? i personally have a hard time reconciling my hate for the government and its wars and my empathy for brainwashed 18yr olds that get conned into 'serving' (in this case, raping in addition to killing). Every soldier makes the choice to enlist in something that is 'inherently evil' (as Green put it) in its primary function; killing. So I can't believe they are victims, but the state plays a role in corrupting them.

sailor
05-29-2009, 08:24 AM
can a government fight wars without troops? i personally have a hard time reconciling my hate for the government and its wars and my empathy for brainwashed 18yr olds that get conned into 'serving' (in this case, raping in addition to killing). Every soldier makes the choice to enlist in something that is 'inherently evil' (as Green put it) in its primary function; killing. So I can't believe they are victims, but the state plays a role in corrupting them.

They are victims, but they are also those who victimise others or at least make victimising others possible.

Think of people who get bullied and then go on shooting sprees. Victims yes, but perpetrators even more so.

ghengis86
05-29-2009, 08:50 AM
They are victims, but they are also those who victimise others or at least make victimising others possible.

Think of people who get bullied and then go on shooting sprees. Victims yes, but perpetrators even more so.

you said it better than I

Liberty Star
05-30-2009, 08:09 AM
"He added, 'I know that I have done evil, and I fear that the wrath of the Lord will come upon me on that day. But, I hope that you and your family at least can find some comfort in God's justice.'"

Hm.

Iraqi family turned down his apology:

The family refused to accept the apology.

Green was found guilty in U.S. District Court in Kentucky of raping a 14-year-old girl and murdering her, her parents and her 6-year-old sister in the town of Yusufiya, about 20 miles south of Baghdad, in 2006.

rpfan2008
05-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Such people should get lethal injection.

Liberty Star
05-31-2009, 08:38 AM
He probably would have got a different verdict if jury was from city where crime took place.

Liberty Star
05-31-2009, 09:13 AM

Who would be responsible for this crime then?

Some interesting details listed on his wiki page:

Steven Dale Green (born 2 May 1985) is a convicted rapist, murderer, and war criminal. He is a former Private First Class in the United States Army who was convicted of gang-raping and murdering a 14-year-old Iraqi girl named Abeer Qassim Hamza al-Janabi and murdering her 5-year old little sister, her mother and her father, inside their house in the village of Mahmudiyah. He then set fire to the house before leaving with his 4 accomplices.

Days after a January 2005 arrest for alcohol possession, Green enlisted in the U.S. Army. In doing so, he was granted a moral character waiver for prior drug and alcohol related offenses that might have otherwise disqualified him. Green graduated from Infantry Training Brigade and was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Kentucky. According to a military spokesperson and a criminal complaint filed in connection with the charges, Green was honorably discharged from the military "due to antisocial personality disorder but before the military was aware of the incident."[1] Green was stationed in Iraq from September 2005 to April 2006 and discharged in May 2006.[2]

The prosecution of this case is unique in that although the alleged crimes were committed by an active member of the United States military, which normally would fall under the jurisdiction of the military court system, Green was indicted and arrested after he had been discharged from the Army. Thus, the case is being tried instead by the United States Department of Justice's Domestic Security Section.

Retaliation

Green was assigned to the same platoon as Spc. David J. Babineau,[15] who was shot to death at a roadside checkpoint on 16 June 2006, in Yusufiyah, and Kristian Menchaca and Thomas Lowell Tucker, who were captured, tortured and killed, allegedly by Iraqi insurgents. Military investigators are now looking into whether the insurgents abducted Menchaca and Tucker in retaliation for the killing of the Iraqi civilians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_D._Green

wgadget
10-24-2010, 05:45 AM
A blast from the past.

Live_Free_Or_Die
10-24-2010, 06:52 AM
It's what our system produces: Garbage in, Garbage out. -George Carlin

haaaylee
10-24-2010, 09:32 AM
And some people still think they hate us for our freedoms.

Ugh.

ibaghdadi
10-24-2010, 11:10 AM
The family refused to accept the apology
Pretty naive issuing an "apology" in the first place. It wasn't exactly drunk driving accident, it was multiple rape and murder of an entire family.

Especially when those you're apologizing to do not consider their honor restored until blood is spilled in its wake. Imho nothing short of offering his own neck to an Iraqi executioner will make it for the family.

denison
10-24-2010, 11:16 AM
nearly 2,000 of them

no offense, but where have you been?
http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2009-05-28-iraq-abuse-photos_N.htm

this truly makes me sick

blowback is inevitable. i'm sure fox didn't cover this.

denison
10-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Especially when those you're apologizing to do not consider their honor restored until blood is spilled in its wake. Imho nothing short of offering his own neck to an Iraqi executioner will make it for the family.

that should be his next step. scum :mad: or offer his family in exchange.

denison
10-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Such people should get lethal injection.

^^^^^^^co-sign.

he should subject himself to punishment in an islamic country, if he really felt sorry.

Philhelm
10-24-2010, 01:38 PM
that should be his next step. scum :mad: or offer his family in exchange.

His family has nothing to do with the crimes he had committed.

emazur
10-24-2010, 01:55 PM
agreed; give an immature kid a gun and power over a de-humanized population, throw him in a moral/ethical/physical/psycological/every-kind-of-immaginable shit storm, and i can see this being a high percentage outcome

YouTube - Harry Browne: War, torture, and humanity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CQ6qUprxbY)

Acala
10-24-2010, 04:41 PM
It is so easy for the Kissingers, Gingrichs, Krauthammers, Brzinskis, etc to move the pieces around on their maps of the global empire, call for genocide, and have wet dreams of conquest. But the reality of war is really unspeakable in its horror. If we don't put this behind us as a species, we will not survive. And the world will be a better place for our demise.

It is really enough to make a grown man cry.