PDA

View Full Version : CA Couple Ordered To Stop Holding BIBLE STUDY

Cowlesy
05-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Pastor David Jones and his wife Mary have been told that they cannot invite friends to their San Diego, Calif. home for a bible study — unless they are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars to San Diego County.

"On Good Friday we had an employee from San Diego County come to our house, and inform us that the bible study that we were having was a religious assembly, and in violation of the code in the county." David Jones told FOX News.

"We told them this is not really a religious assembly — this is just a bible study with friends. We have a meal, we pray, that was all," Jones said.

What the hell? Freedom of religion? Right to peaceful assembly??

Is this perceived War on Christianity real and I am just missing the boat about what's up??

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,522637,00.html

Reason
05-28-2009, 05:39 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=193475

fedup100
05-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Is this perceived War on Christianity real and I am just missing the boat about what's up??

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,522637,00.html

Bet if it they stuck a Menorah out front, all would go away.

asimplegirl
05-28-2009, 05:40 PM
It's California...not that surprising. You need a permit for EVERYTHING there.

Mesogen
It's county/city people feeling all powerful.

It doesn't matter what level of government people get into, some get into it so they can boss people around. Simple as that, IMO.

dannno
I'm so glad I don't live in San Diego County anymore. Too bad, cause it's a really nice place to live as far as weather and such.. it's just that there are so many cops, yuppies and military personnel it has become a lot more authoritarian the last decade or so..

Athan
05-28-2009, 06:58 PM

There is no "war on Christianity" just an overgrown government that continues to pick and chose how to grow itself larger and infringes more everyday in our lives. Today it may be Christians, later it may be Buddhist, and etc.

BeFranklin
05-28-2009, 07:00 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=193475

Thats already been derailed by pro-homosexual activists, so might as well have a real conversation here.

BeFranklin
05-28-2009, 07:02 PM
There is no "war on Christianity" ..

ie Pay no attention to it.

Reason
05-28-2009, 07:06 PM
There is no "war on Christianity" just an overgrown government that continues to pick and chose how to grow itself larger and infringes more everyday in our lives. Today it may be Christians, later it may be Buddhist, and etc.

agreed

Uriel999
05-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Thats already been derailed by pro-homosexual activists, so might as well have a real conversation here.

I'm all for homosexuals getting married because its an equality thing the government has no business in...Be you should support liberty for all including it for people you believe are wrong. HOWEVER, lets get back onto the subject at hand.

This AGNOSTIC/ATHEIST says lets all go to that house and have Bible study. It is time to start making a stand for liberty, EVERYBODY'S LIBERTY.

zach
05-28-2009, 07:23 PM

That thread became derailed after a vague jab was aimed toward those who might want to defend themselves for making it a gay issue. It only ended with someone saying, "This is a gay issue?"

And the activists are people like yourself with different belief systems.. labeling people with such terms doesn't put you on a better pedestal because we are all human. Yes, there are some activists that are of the LGBT community, but because one might not care if two people of the same sex marry, adopt kids, etc, it doesn't always mean they are activists for that specific group of people. They just don't give a damn.

To me, the OP's situation has to do with a police force that picks and chooses who it wants to terrorize. However, I am aware of a trend that getting rid of traditional Christianity is the next thing to possibly happen.. whether this was an instance of that or not, no one should be forced to stop an assembly such as going to another person's house for a Bible study, or any study for that matter.

Dr.3D
05-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Wow, this thread can't seem to stay on topic either.

Come on... can't we discuss the people not being able to have a meeting in their own home?

What next, we can't have graduation parties or a BBQ without government supervision?

zach
05-28-2009, 07:31 PM

Come on... can't we discuss the people not being able to have a meeting in their own home?

What next, we can't have graduation parties or a BBQ without government supervision?

Probably not, because someone might openly pray and offend another.

And the government hates those who feel oppressed.

Athan
05-28-2009, 07:31 PM
ie Pay no attention to it.

No, I'm just saying this "culture war" is not what this is about. The government interference in citizens' lives is what is causing these events. Look at Public school vs Private school.

Why can private schools say prayers while government funded public schools get into all sorts of politics?

Don't ignore it, just acknowledge what is really happening.

BeFranklin
05-28-2009, 07:32 PM
That thread became derailed after a vague jab was aimed toward those who might want to defend themselves for making it a gay issue. It only ended with someone saying, "This is a gay issue?"

The thread appears to have been derailed after torchbearer said christians deserve anything they get for being against gay marriage, its "blowback" - A comment that is being repeated a lot on these threads by others to derail them;

And some comments about WND being unreliable so just ignore it - a comment also being repeated a lot, mostly by the same people, and mostly because they consistently cover news like this.

The story wasn't unreliable, its been reported a lot of other places now, and I haven't found WND to be unreliable. Disagreeing with a source because it reports stories you don't like is called a coverup.

Anyway, its over with. RIP other thread.

zach
05-28-2009, 07:33 PM
No, I'm just saying this "culture war" is not what this is about. The government interference in citizens' lives is what is causing these events. Look at Public school vs Private school.

Why can private schools say prayers while government funded public schools get into all sorts of politics?

This. If you're under the government's care, then you're basically their bitch.

BeFranklin
05-28-2009, 07:34 PM

The War on Religion
by Rep. Ron Paul, MD

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul148.html

Athan
05-28-2009, 07:43 PM
I trust Dr. Paul so I'll side with his honesty on the matter. Thank you for posting that.
What do you propose? Attack the "elitist secular left"? That is fine by me as I'm just frustrated with our own social situation as well, I just hope you target the right problem makers because I happen to be rather secular myself and simply attributed this shit to a massive girth of government problem before.

BeFranklin
05-28-2009, 07:45 PM
I trust Dr. Paul so I'll side with his honesty on the matter. Thank you for posting that.
What do you propose? Attack the "elitist secular left"? That is fine by me as I'm just frustrated with our own social situation as well, I just hope you target the right problem makers because I happen to be rather secular myself and simply attributed this shit to a massive girth of government problem before.

It isn't a matter of attacking anything, just defending it. When someone mets in their home, they have the right.

Home bible studies should be applauded. They're not harming anyone. In fact, its how the apostles met.

Athan
05-28-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm just as shocked and ANGERED as you. I think few liberty lovers here would ever approve of what these fascist pigs are doing. Again, the arm of corrupt government allows such transgressions to take place to begin with.

Reason
05-28-2009, 07:49 PM
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=277

Brassmouth
05-28-2009, 08:12 PM

:rolleyes:

penguin
05-28-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm all for homosexuals getting married because its an equality thing the government has no business in...Be you should support liberty for all including it for people you believe are wrong. HOWEVER, lets get back onto the subject at hand.

This AGNOSTIC/ATHEIST says lets all go to that house and have Bible study. It is time to start making a stand for liberty, EVERYBODY'S LIBERTY.

Uriel999 you not only have a great idea you gained my respect in that post.
This isn't about beliefs but about rights. I live too far away to make it but have a few friends around there I can get to go. Let's get the troops motivated and organized to make a stand.

Reason
05-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Just saw local news coverage of this.

Apparently the reason for the complaint that brought in the county was that all the cars from the people going to the house were blocking up the entire street.

The home owners contest this stating that there were usually around 15 or so people that attend.

However the footage on the news tonight showed the street in question, and it looked like having even 10 cars on it near where the house is would easily block it.

We really have no way of knowing the truth here.

Either way, this is about feuding neighbors and traffic not about the govt persecuting religion

Bodhi
05-29-2009, 07:20 AM

Apparently the reason for the complaint that brought in the county was that all the cars from the people going to the house were blocking up the entire street.

The home owners contest this stating that there were usually around 15 or so people that attend.

However the footage on the news tonight showed the street in question, and it looked like having even 10 cars on it near where the house is would easily block it.

Either way, this is about feuding neighbors and traffic not about the govt persecuting religion

Thanks for bringing some perspective, I thought it would be something like this. Just because it is "bible study" doesn't give people the right to clog up the street week after week, at that point they are infringing on the rights of others. If they want to continue to hold a large bible study, they should take their neighbors into consideration and find a solution that does not involve clogging the street with parked cars.

I don't think this is an anti-Christian thing, this is a anti-inconsiderate people thing ;)

Monolithic
05-29-2009, 07:27 AM

christians lying? in order to further their persecution complex? well golly gee what a shocker

TonySutton
05-29-2009, 07:32 AM
I posted this in the one of the other threads on this issue

as Paul Harvey says: and now for the rest of the story

Check the the video in the right hand column that says "County Responds To Bible Study Controversy" at this link. http://www.10news.com/news/19562217/detail.html#

The house is in a cul de sac, so I would imagine having 15 cars parked there might be an issue with some neighbors gaining access to their driveways and could easily hinder emergency vehicles entering.

The county official interviewed stated the questions asked of the home owners was an attempt to find out what was going on at the house and determine if the event was something that fell under county regulations.

In the defense of the homeowners, it does appear the county might be back pedaling a bit since the home owner was served by the county a month earlier inquiring about the possible business use of their home. The article did not say if the home owners replied to the letter sent by the county.

And for the record: BF was the first person to mention the "gay" word in both threads. It gives the appearance he is obsessed or baiting.

jsu718
05-29-2009, 07:36 AM
You stay classy San Diego...

BeFranklin
05-29-2009, 08:04 AM
I posted this in the one of the other threads on this issue

And for the record: BF was the first person to mention the "gay" word in both threads. It gives the appearance he is obsessed or baiting.

It comes on the heals of the same city being in the news for forcing firemen to march in a gay parade against their will where they were harassed, and the organizers bringing kids to convicted pedophiles - including one clown.

It would be odd not to mention it as I just posted another article on it the day before from the same area. In fact, it was a relative who pointed it out to me.

For the record - homosexuality is an abomination, and it says that in the bible. That is what I believe.

TonySutton
05-29-2009, 08:17 AM
It comes on the heals of the same city being in the news for forcing firemen to march in a gay parade against their will where they were harassed, and the organizers bringing kids to convicted pedophiles - including one clown.

It would be odd not to mention it as I just posted another article on it the day before from the same area. In fact, it was a relative who pointed it out to me.

The city of San Diego was involved in the fireman issue. If you read the full story it involved fireman forced to participate in the Pride Parade by their battalion chief.

The county of San Diego was involved in the bible study issue. It is a county official doing their job by investigating a complaint.

I fail to see a connection beyond the fact that both are in southern California.

For the record I do not think anyone should be forced to participate in any parade. I do expect local officials to investigate complaints.

max
05-29-2009, 08:29 AM

u got that right! It's the "chosen ones" who are ultimately behind the christian bashing..

irony is...most oif these bible study types worship their persecutors!

akihabro
05-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Local story on this http://www.10news.com/news/19562217/detail.html
When the county isn't going to get much money from the state they apparently resort to illegal and unethical tactics.

akihabro
05-29-2009, 10:32 AM

Graduation assemblies=unlawful assembly and possibility of civil disturbance.
BBQ=carbon output and subject to EPA pollution laws, fire hazard laws and global warming taxes and rules.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=277
Welcome to the forums!~