PDA

View Full Version : Word from New Hampshire

Nathan Hale
05-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Any news from New Hampshire? Supposedly there are 500 liberty activists there and a strong libertarian ethic. We know that Itse may run for the Governorship, but what of the two Congressional races and the Senate race?

FSP-Rebel
05-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Most of the FSPers (that involve themselves in politics) pay closer attention to state and local races vs. Congressional and Senatorial races. I just moved here a few days ago and my main focus is making sure medical marijuana is signed by the governor and calling my state senator to tell her to keep the seatbelt bill tabled permanently. The more people that join the Free State Project, the closer we'll be to affecting change on the federal level. I'm not sure what Itse is planning on doing as far as a gubernatorial race is concerned.

Dreepa
05-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Jim Forsythe ran last year and then had to leave the race.

Frank Guinta (Mayor of Manchester) is running for US House. He is low tax but I do want to talk to him before I throw my support to him. I want to make sure he will vote NO on all things not in the US Constitution.

That is all I know of right now.
Many people are working on NH House and NH Senate as well as towns.
In the towns.. we have had dozens of people elected. In NH House we have about 10 Ron Paulers were elected. We are looking to expand that.

We need to keep NH income tax free and sales tax free. Efforts where we can make a difference are being given higher priority than the races for the US seats.

porcupine
05-28-2009, 12:41 PM
There are far more than 500 liberty activists here. I don't really care about the Congressional or Senate races. Anyone who thinks the fed gov is going to change is in a dream world.

Keith and stuff
05-28-2009, 01:31 PM
There are over 1000 liberty activists in NH. I'm not focusing much on federal elections right now because the vast majority of governmental control is state and local.

I helped support one Libertarian, one Democrat and seven small government Republicans for state house in 2008. The Democrat and 2 of the Republicans were elected. Another Republican lost by 60 votes.

I spent the last few months organizing 100s of people to defeat the adult seat belt bill, helping organize the Boston End the Fed Rally, and helping Marilinda Garica, a small government very conservative Republican, get elected to the state house.

There are a couple city council campaigns I might help with.

I'll likely help with half a dozen or so state house campaigns for small government folks in 2010.

I may help with some statewide or federal elections in 2010 but I have to see how things proceed first. I have to wait and see on that because the amount of effort to get a Ron Paul elected to federal office is tremendous compared to the amount of effort to get super pro-freedom folks elected to state and local office. There is only one Ron Paul but there are several super pro-freedom folks serving in the New Hampshire state house.

Keith and stuff
05-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Frank Guinta (Mayor of Manchester) is running for US House. He is low tax but I do want to talk to him before I throw my support to him. I want to make sure he will vote NO on all things not in the US Constitution.

Frank Guinta is great on taxes, maybe better than 80%-90% of elected Republicans, but I don't know about him on other issues. He also seems really good on guns. I think taxes and spending is the most important issue but I look forward to hearing what you find out on other issues.

Imperial
05-28-2009, 04:54 PM
I can tell you now there is a reason no other Republican has stepped up to run against the NH governor. They have no chance right now. Look at the past two elections...the Republican hasn't hit 30%. Itse should run for Congress instead of governor.

Nathan Hale
05-29-2009, 05:46 PM
There are far more than 500 liberty activists here.

I'm aware of that, I say 500 b/c that's the ballpark number of early movers put out by the FSP.

I don't really care about the Congressional or Senate races. Anyone who thinks the fed gov is going to change is in a dream world.

How do you figure? After all, a federal-level strategy is a major component of this movement. And, as an early strategist for the FSP, I remember long talks about how crucial 2 Senators could be to the balance in the Senate - even during times when the Senate supposedly is so overwhelmingly held by a single party. Don't underestimate the ability we have to play in the federal level. That said, I'd love to hear why you believe that anyone who thinks the fed gov is going to change is in a dream world.

skyorbit
06-07-2009, 01:29 AM
There are far more than 500 liberty activists here. I don't really care about the Congressional or Senate races. Anyone who thinks the fed gov is going to change is in a dream world.

You get enough liberty minded people in the State legislature and local towns, you can secede and then you won't care about the Federal Government.

TRacy

FrankRep
06-07-2009, 08:28 AM
I just moved here a few days ago and my main focus is making sure medical marijuana is signed by the governor

That's your top priority??

torchbearer
06-07-2009, 08:30 AM
That's your top priority??

The war on drugs is a war on the people.
we need to end this assault. I can see it being a top priority.

FSP-Rebel
06-07-2009, 06:48 PM
The war on drugs is a war on the people.
we need to end this assault. I can see it being a top priority.
I agree, though marijuana flows like wine up here regardless...

UnReconstructed
06-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Have you found work up there Rebel?

FSP-Rebel
06-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Have you found work up there Rebel?
I've been keepin tabs on the job scene, but I haven't applied for anything yet as I'm not trying to find work for at least another few handful of weeks. I just graduated college a couple weeks ago, so I have all my grad money plus what I've saved prior to that and my birthday is right around the corner as well. In addition, I'm trying to keep myself flexible as I have many family and friends coming by for the Porcupine Freedom Festival in a few weeks and I need to show them around and such. Plus, I'm kind of on a hiatus of sorts as a personal reward to myself for graduating, so I'm taking some time off. Regarding jobs, we have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country and have very little competition for such work. I find new jobs posts every day (@ http://jobsinnh.com and elsewhere that I would have no trouble getting a hold of. There's plenty of work across the board up here, especially on the seacoast where touristy jobs are plentiful. More so, there's plenty of unposted job opportunities that are available to those who are 'on-the-ground' up here.

Any aspect of moving to NH via the FSP can be addressed down at my #3 sig line, where there's many more veteran FSPers than I that can offer any insight one may need in their interest of or relocation to NH. I can field any questions on this forum, but that one will get you in touch with many others that have info that I may not be privy to yet, plus they've all had their own personal experiences in finding work - so their advice could be priceless to prospective Porcupines.

UnReconstructed
06-08-2009, 07:55 AM
thanks for the link. I kinda like security and I would like to have a job/place to live nailed down before I relocate. I have a somewhat large family so for us to just "turn loose" and go would be a stretch.