PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson to compete in the Race Across America

Elwar
05-28-2009, 08:33 AM
http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/news.php

"...won't decide on running for President in 2012 until at least next summer, when he will have completed Earth's toughest challenge, the Race Across America"

"...welcomes all volunteer efforts to raise the profile of a possible Gary Johnson 2012 run."

BenIsForRon
05-28-2009, 10:12 AM
AWESOME!!! I can't think of a better candidate for this movement.

Andrew-Austin
05-28-2009, 10:18 AM
He is going to run by the way.

Brian4Liberty
05-28-2009, 10:20 AM
He should be on TV everyday like Newt Gingrich if he really wants to run...

Elwar
05-28-2009, 10:23 AM
He should be on TV everyday like Newt Gingrich if he really wants to run...

Politics is a game of timing. Making people sick of you is not a good strategy.

Brian4Liberty
05-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Politics is a game of timing. Making people sick of you is not a good strategy.

Some timing, but more than anything, it is about recognition. McCain must have been on talk shows about 1000 times before he ran.

Kludge
05-28-2009, 10:32 AM
http://cannabisnews.com/news/7/thread7965.shtml

Barr-ed from consideration.

MRoCkEd
05-28-2009, 10:36 AM

15 years ago
Maybe he's refined his position a bit.

Captain Bryan
05-28-2009, 11:53 AM
15 years ago
Maybe he's refined his position a bit.

I'm a little confused. What did he say that is wrong?

MRoCkEd
05-28-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm a little confused. What did he say that is wrong?
JOHNSON: Only addicts would be allowed to get drugs. They would have to get a prescription.

Elwar
05-28-2009, 12:14 PM

Gary Johnson considered sensible ways that a state can legalize drugs while he was governor. He feels that the federal government should not be involved in drug policy and that it is a state issue.

"The war on drugs is a mindboggling failure"

"Legalization is not around the corner. I realize what a taboo it is. It's political suicide to push it, but ultimately the best politics is the truth. There is no question in my mind that this country is going to develop rational drug policies. The question is, is it going to take 80 years or is it going to happen in a more reasonable amount of time?"

"If we legalized all drugs across the board, we would have a better situation than we have today. If all illicit drugs were available over the counter, things would be better. But that's not what I am advocating. I think that we should start with certain drugs, based on existing models. There are models that exist in this world for the legalization of heroin. There is a model when it comes to marijuana. There isn't a model for cocaine, methamphatamines, LSD and so on. I am not advocating legalization, but I do think we should look into it."

"Of course marijuana use should be decriminalized, but we also have to stop the illegal activities that support the industry. Only legalization does that. People don't like to hear about legalization. Worse, when they hear about the legalization of heroin, bombs go off. Whoa! But in none of the legalization scenarios could a person go to a store and buy heroin. I am talking about control, regulation, taxation and safer heroin. Just as we use taxes from cigarettes for health programs, we could use taxes on drugs for health programs to deal with the problems that exist."

"I never expected to change things overnight. The goal was to raise the issues."

"I had a meeting with a couple of people, including the head of the Republican Party in New Mexico, and said that I would like to make a bold statement about the war on drugs. I said, I don't know if legalization is the answer, but it certainly has to be looked at. They agreed. At that time, I really had no idea that legalization was the answer--or that there were such compelling arguments in favor of legalization. I just said, Let's declare the war on drugs a failure and look at alternatives. I believed the rumor that Holland has drug use and crime through the roof. Then I began to research it. Whoa! Wait a minute. I don't need to study things to death as many politicians tend to. We need to gather the facts--and there are only so many of them--and then make a decision. I looked at the facts for about six weeks and decided that legalization is a viable alternative."

Gary Johnson is on the Board of Directors for Students for Sensible Drug Policy:

"Students for Sensible Drug Policy neither encourages nor condemns drug use. Rather, we seek to reduce the harms caused by drug abuse and drug policies. As young people, we strive toward a just and compassionate society where drug abuse is treated as a health issue instead of a criminal justice issue. We recognize that the very real harms of drug abuse are not adequately addressed by current policies and we advocate measures that would effectively help those who develop drug problems. Yet, we also believe that individuals must ultimately be allowed to make decisions for themselves as long as their actions do not infringe upon anyone else’s freedoms or safety.

Because the War on Drugs has historically been justified as necessary to protect youth, it is our responsibility as young people to stop this harmful war from being waged in our names any longer. As scholars, we seek solutions to society's drug problems through focused research, honest dialogue, and informed debate, instead of unquestioned extremism, punishment, and propaganda."

Elwar
05-28-2009, 12:22 PM
2001 speech in front of NORML (http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v01.n738.a08.html):

"We need to legalize marijuana"

"The war on drugs," Johnson said, "is a miserable failure." He advocates treating marijuana like alcohol and moving toward a "medical model" for dealing with stronger drugs and decriminalizing them.

He Who Pawns
05-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Anyway, getting back to this race, the website says these guys are doing up to 500 miles per day on the bikes!! That is fucking insane mileage!!

Kludge
05-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Pfff, y'all are missing my reference. I thought I made it pretty obvious.

BARR-ed from consideration!

Elwar
05-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Pfff, y'all are missing my reference. I thought I made it pretty obvious.

BARR-ed from consideration!

Ya, I got it...comparing someone who spearheaded a bill to stop a marijuana legalization vote from being counted to someone who believes that the war on drugs is a failure and openly worked to move things in the right direction doesn't make much sense.

dr. hfn
05-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Johnson/Ventura 2012!

AJ Antimony
05-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Some timing, but more than anything, it is about recognition. McCain must have been on talk shows about 1000 times before he ran.

Uh, I've never seen him on talk shows... McCain was only a Vietnam veteran, Congressman, then Senator and inheritor of Goldwater's seat. Oh, and the Republican Party couldn't find a better candidate.

0zzy
05-28-2009, 04:32 PM
JOHNSON: Only addicts would be allowed to get drugs. They would have to get a prescription.

WOW....
WOW...
WOW..
WOW.

Did someone really get upset that he said this?

"I WON'T SUPPORT YOU ANYMORE! YOU HYPOCRITE! YOU HATE FREEDOM! YOU WANT ALL DRUGS TO BE LEGALIZED BUT SOME ONLY FOR ADDICTS? F U! F U GARY! I HATE YOU!"

Truly, some of you make me puke in my mouth a little.

Kludge
05-28-2009, 04:33 PM
WOW....
WOW...
WOW..
WOW.

Did someone really get upset that he said this?

"I WON'T SUPPORT YOU ANYMORE! YOU HYPOCRITE! YOU HATE FREEDOM! YOU WANT ALL DRUGS TO BE LEGALIZED BUT SOME ONLY FOR ADDICTS? F U! F U GARY! I HATE YOU!"

Truly, some of you make me puke in my mouth a little.

Calm down...

Imperial
05-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I support Johnson, but I honestly think he would make either a strong A) VP or B) Run for Congress. President would have to reconstruct his whole national profile, especially with New Mexico being a late primary.

Elwar
05-29-2009, 06:53 AM
I support Johnson, but I honestly think he would make either a strong A) VP or B) Run for Congress. President would have to reconstruct his whole national profile, especially with New Mexico being a late primary.

Johnson seems like the kind of person that when he puts his mind to it, he can achieve anything. He definitely wouldn't be running, just to get the message out there. He'd be in it to win it.

itshappening
05-29-2009, 10:21 AM
go Johnson, the sad thing is he will be relatively unknown when it all kicks off

Elwar
06-01-2009, 07:05 AM
go Johnson, the sad thing is he will be relatively unknown when it all kicks off

If he starts in 2010, that'll be a year earlier than Ron Paul had...