PDA

View Full Version : Anxieties set in about 3Q spending and fundraising

Bradley in DC
09-21-2007, 10:27 AM
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2007/09/gop_fundraising_outlook_part_i.php

GOP Fundraising Outlook Part I: Romney Backers Worry About Spending
21 Sep 2007 08:52 am
The biggest question that pros will be asking when they assess Republican presidential campaign finances in October: how much of a cash-on-hand advantage does ex-NYC Mayor Rudy Giulani have? The corollary question: how much has Mitt Romney spent?
Through two quarters, he had spent $15M more than Giuliani , and some Republicans estimate that with his heavy spending on television advertising and the Ames straw poll, he'll exceed Giuliani's aggregate spending by $20M through three quarters.
Giuliani advisers won't provide an estimate of their expected haul -- they are very good at keeping their estimates in house -- but they probably will not raise as much as they did last quarter. Through June 30, Giuliani had raised nearly $35M and had $16M left to spend, a burn rate of about 45%.
Romney has loaned himself nearly $9M, which, when subtracted from his $12M cash-on-hand, would suggest that receipts in have not kept pace with disbursements, generally, which have totaled more than $32M. Romney donors said that they had been told that Romney was prepared to spend another $5M to keep his campaign's budget intact. They give a range of $10M to $12M for individual contributions in the third quarter.
John McCain will raise between $4 and $5M; Fred Thompson will probably raise around $6M.
A back-of-envelope calculation: If Rudy raised $13M and kept his burn rate at 50%, he'll have about $22M in the bank. If Romney raises, at a low end, $15M (including his own contribution) and wound up spending $.75 cents per dollar, he'll have less than $8M in the bank. (His campaign reported cash-on-hand totals of more than $12M last quarter, but, per Political Money Line, it had debts of nearly $10M.)
So -- the answer to the first question we posed: Giuliani may have between $11M and $15M more to spend than Romney as of the end of the third quarter.
His campaign knows, however, that Romney could theoretically write himself another check to keep pace.

Dustancostine
09-21-2007, 10:31 AM
If Fred only raises 6 mil and McCain only raises 5m, if would be great if we could out raise both of them. And Romney too if you didn't count how much he is going to put in of his own money.

Chester Copperpot
09-21-2007, 10:42 AM
thats a good goal outraise fred thompson

UCFGavin
09-21-2007, 10:48 AM
If Fred only raises 6 mil and McCain only raises 5m, if would be great if we could out raise both of them. And Romney too if you didn't count how much he is going to put in of his own money.

i'm going to be extremely excited if we're able to raise more than $4 million. we have to make sure we do NOT get ourselves worked up into speculation. that is what happened last quarter and it hurt us pretty bad.

Bradley in DC
09-21-2007, 10:48 AM
thats a good goal outraise fred thompson

The better question for practical purposes will be the cash-on-hand minus debt numbers that we'll have to figure out. Dr. Paul should do well in this competition. :)

goRPaul
09-21-2007, 11:41 AM
i'm going to be extremely excited if we're able to raise more than $4 million. we have to make sure we do NOT get ourselves worked up into speculation. that is what happened last quarter and it hurt us pretty bad.

Call me crazy, but I think we're somewhere in between $6-$8 million.

**Edit** I didn't read the whole post lol. Yeah, I think we can be an overzealous bunch. Good call staying down to earth.

Dustancostine
09-21-2007, 11:46 AM
I sure hope we are over $4million. We raised $2.4million in the 2nd quarter, this was before all of these fund raisers. And I know that they are getting more from the internet.

Johnnybags
09-21-2007, 11:53 AM
I sure hope we are over $4million. We raised $2.4million in the 2nd quarter, this was before all of these fund raisers. And I know that they are getting more from the internet.

Fred got the Bushite money for now, but Romney probably is not doing well. I am sure he gets the 2300 a pop but from far less people. I wanna see the FEC distribution chart to see how disbursed Rons is. I'd rather have 50 bucks from 46 people than 2300 from 1.

And do not forget oop expenses from grassroots, Ron is the king. I bet its close to his actual bounty.

bbachtung
09-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Fred can always spin it if he gets less than anyone else because he's "only" been an "official" candidate since early September.

Ozwest
09-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Up to June 30 Giuliani spent 19 million! That was not Grass Roots money. These elections are soooo set up.