PDA

View Full Version : Rather: Government Influencing Newsrooms

FrankRep
09-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Rather: Government Influencing Newsrooms

AP
Sep 21

NEW YORK (AP) - Dan Rather said Thursday that the undue influence of the government and large corporations over newsrooms spurred his decision to file a $70 million lawsuit against CBS and its former parent company.

"Somebody, sometime has got to take a stand and say democracy cannot survive, much less thrive with the level of big corporate and big government interference and intimidation in news," he said on CNN's "Larry King Live."

In the suit, filed a day earlier in state Supreme Court in Manhattan, Rather claimed CBS and Viacom Inc. (VIAB) used him as a "scapegoat" and intentionally botched the aftermath of a discredited story about President Bush's military service to curry favor with the White House. He was removed from his "CBS Evening News" post in March 2005.

"They sacrificed support for independent journalism for corporate financial gain, and in so doing, I think they undermined a lot at CBS News," he told King.

Source:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070921/D8RPKMPO0.html

MsDoodahs
09-21-2007, 09:48 AM
What a crock of crap, that guy was a MAJOR PARTICIPANT in the whole game.

:mad:

He should have said this WHEN HE WAS STILL RESPECTED instead of waiting until he's a known...what is it y'all say....tool?

JMann
09-21-2007, 09:54 AM
The day I believe one word out of Rather's mouth will be the day I wish I where dead.

Shink
09-21-2007, 10:16 AM
He's being honest...about one wrongdoing of one company. He's not mentioning how pervasive it is or admitting that probably 99.9999% of all Old Media is just as bad/worse and that he knew this all along...

MsDoodahs
09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Which demonstrates that he is a GUTLESS WONDER and lacks INTEGRITY.

Original_Intent
09-21-2007, 10:41 AM
He is just pissed that he got left holding the ball one time, he has no concern that Old Media is screwing over most Americans every day.

It's just personal because he was made the scapegoat and it ended his career.