PDA

View Full Version : The smell of success

Sematary
09-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Did I ever mention that I live in what could be termed a "small town"? There are about 8000 people who live in my little rural neck of the woods. The main road consists of a state highway that connects our little out of the way hamlet with the rest of the world. One direction brings us to the highway and more expansive vistas and the other direction brings us north to more and larger population centers. It is usually quiet, except during rush hour, when, of course, the state highway is packed with traffic going north or south by people returning from their daily grind.

Anyway, this is also (as it happens) the road that my apartment building resides on. It's a big, unmistakable, brick building set right on the road. I chose the side of my building (the side southbound traffic would see) as the spot for my large tyvek Ronpaul Revolution sign. Now, I never really knew how many people noticed this sign or not, or if they did, whether or not people REALLY noticed it. You know what I mean? So I was talking to my 16 year old last night and she mentioned how the presidential election had arisen as a topic of discussion in one of her classes and they were discussing the candidates. So she mentioned Ron Paul (of course she did - :-) ).
Then some other student said something about Ron Paul and it turns out that her entire class knows who Ron Paul is because of that tyvek sign on the side of my house. Even the teacher knew who he was. That's pretty positive, I think. :)

Then, this morning, I was at the bank and one of the tellers mentioned that she saw my Ron Paul for President yard sign and started asking me who he was. I immediately whipped out my Ron Paul for President business card and she began reading. "oh, I like that", she says - pointing out that he had never voted to raise taxes. I asked her if she had internet at home and she stated that she didn't so I asked if she had a dvd player (she does). I told her I would get her a dvd so she could listen to him speak.

It's been a good day. :)

risiusj
09-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Then some other student said something about Ron Paul and it turns out that her entire class knows who Ron Paul is because of that tyvek sign on the side of my house. Even the teacher knew who he was. That's pretty positive, I think. :)

That is mind-boggling. One well placed sign can put that little bit of curiosity needed to find out more into someone's head. Great work.

On a side note - You think 8,000 people is a small, rural town? I'm curious where you're from, but you don't have that on your profile.

Bradley in DC
09-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Truly excellent. We all need to do everything we can to get the message out.

Johnnybags
09-21-2007, 07:36 AM
They would have the local ordinance officer out of the donut shop at my front door in ten minutes? It is amazing how different varying parts of the US are. Great work.

wgadget
09-21-2007, 07:52 AM
We'll be Painting the Town Ron September 29...Good for America!

bdmarti
09-21-2007, 07:58 AM
They would have the local ordinance officer out of the donut shop at my front door in ten minutes? It is amazing how different varying parts of the US are. Great work.

Everybody should know about Ladue V Gilleo (http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/92-1856.ZO.html)

as it was a unanimous supreme court decision that says it is unconstitutional to ban political yard signs and calls in to question the constitutionality of almost any regulation of such a sign because there is no viable alternative that is as cheap and readily available to the average individual/homeowner.

Chances are good that if your town has local laws against political signs that those laws are not constitutional.

Sematary
09-21-2007, 08:24 AM
That is mind-boggling. One well placed sign can put that little bit of curiosity needed to find out more into someone's head. Great work.

On a side note - You think 8,000 people is a small, rural town? I'm curious where you're from, but you don't have that on your profile.

The town is spread out over 25 square miles so yes, it's pretty rural. 8000 sounds like alot until you realize how spread out the town is. By the way, I live in Thompson, Ct.

Zydeco
09-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Nice, here's mine for the day (so far).

I live in DC, and late last night get an e-mail from a guy from New Jersey. He's coming down to DC for that big NRA convention Ron Paul for some reason wasn't invited to. He wants to know if I have any RP slim jims, stickers, etc. he can bring to the event.

So this morning he drives to my apartment and I give him all the Ron Paul loot, and he says "I only became a Ron Paul supporter last week. I can't believe the NRA didn't invite him to this event!"

From non-supporter to fervent advocate at a convention full of active voters in a matter of days...Freedom is popular!