PDA

View Full Version : SOMEONE must know the answer to this...

KCIndy
05-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Since the whole "Is Waterboarding really torture" has been back in the news - and even hotly debated on some forum threads here (!) I have to write this and ask the question that's been bugging me for months.

Everyone caught up in the "torture/not torture" debate seems to be overlooking something. We're well into the twenty first century, folks. We've mapped the human genome. We have amazing new ways to scan the human brain. We have multi-billion dollar companies using supercomputers to develop new and incredibly effective drugs.

All that being said....
IS IT REALLY POSSIBLE THAT THE U.S. GOVERNMENT *DOESN'T* HAVE AN EFFECTIVE "TRUTH SERUM" STYLE DRUG IN THEIR INTERROGATION ARSENAL???

I find this impossible to believe.

I mean, even if such a drug didn't exist when 9/11 happened, it's been over seven years. Couldn't something have been developed by now?

Please understand: I'm not necessarily condoning the idea of drugging a prisoner to get the truth. But if I had to choose between being chained naked in a freezing cell and then dragged out and water boarded versus being given an injection that makes me feel euphoric and see giant sparkling purple butterflies.... well, give me the purple butterflies any time.

Does anyone here work in, or with, the medical profession? I have heard there are apparently a few different anesthesia drugs being used today that are known in medical circles for the side effect of causing people to babble, apparently without any inhibitions at all, about deeply personal stuff as they come out from under sedation.

Hell, at the very least, it seems like it would be more effective to put three or four detainees in a room and have them pass around a bag of really potent weed. How long would it be before they started blabbing about all the secrets that the interrogators didn't know? And if anyone held out, he could be tempted with a plate of "munchies." :) :)

Okay, that last little bit may be a bit silly. But my serious question remains: Why would the U.S. torture people when it seems very, very likely that there are - or ought to be - drugs that could be used more humanely and achieve better results?

Anti Federalist
05-23-2009, 09:09 PM
All that being said....
IS IT REALLY POSSIBLE THAT THE U.S. GOVERNMENT *DOESN'T* HAVE AN EFFECTIVE "TRUTH SERUM" STYLE DRUG IN THEIR INTERROGATION ARSENAL???

I find this impossible to believe.

You're making an assumption here that needs to be addressed first.

Does the US Government want the "truth" coming out?

Or would it prefer a bunch of tainted babble coming from tortured prisoners?

ladyjade3
05-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Exactly. Torture is not what you use to get the truth, its what you use to get what you need.

*ah-hem* link from Afghanistan to Iraq *ah-hem*

Dr.3D
05-23-2009, 09:13 PM
http://www.search.com/reference/Truth_drug

ghengis86
05-23-2009, 09:45 PM

Does the US Government want the "truth" coming out?Or would it prefer a bunch of tainted babble coming from tortured prisoners?

Exactly. Torture is not what you use to get the truth, its what you use to get what you need.

*ah-hem* link from Afghanistan to Iraq *ah-hem*

Bingo-bango. Exactly. Nail on the head. etc.

they need video/audio of some patsy with dark skin saying whatever they want to use as propaganda the next time they want to invade/kill/rape/murder/destroy/lay waste.....Iran, you're on deck.

i'll bet my left testicle they have one hell of a 'truth serum', since they've been perfecting it for 40+ years. but why would they want the truth if it didn't fit into their plans?

also, if they're willing to torture, why would they be unwilling to inject a drug?

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-23-2009, 09:49 PM
also, if they're willing to torture, why would they be unwilling to inject a drug?

They dont even have to do that. Sleep deprivation and Good Cop/Bad Cop interrogations produce results whereas Torture produces shit. If you waterboard someone enough times, they'll admit to being the second gunman on the grassy knoll....even if they were born in 1976 in fucking the Peshwahar region. Its not information thats useful, its information for justifying bullshit expansionism.

KCIndy
05-23-2009, 11:18 PM

Does the US Government want the "truth" coming out?

Or would it prefer a bunch of tainted babble coming from tortured prisoners?

Actually, I wasn't assuming the government wants the "truth" coming out.... in fact, I would bet money that's what the government doesn't want.

To simplify my earlier ramblings, I'm asking why no one is asking the simple question, "hey, don't we have a truth drug?"

I would LOVE to see someone put that question to the president at the next nationally televised news conference!

Anti Federalist
05-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Actually, I wasn't assuming the government wants the "truth" coming out.... in fact, I would bet money that's what the government doesn't want.

To simplify my earlier ramblings, I'm asking why no one is asking the simple question, "hey, don't we have a truth drug?"

I would LOVE to see someone put that question to the president at the next nationally televised news conference!

OH, OK, clarified.

Yeah I'd like to see that question asked as well.

ClayTrainor
05-23-2009, 11:58 PM
I don't understand how a drug could possibly make you tell the truth?

Anti Federalist
05-24-2009, 12:02 AM

Ummm, here, have a couple, three shots of this: ;)

http://www.ibspro.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/whiskey.jpg

KCIndy
05-24-2009, 08:15 PM

Ummm, here, have a couple, three shots of this: ;)

http://www.ibspro.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/whiskey.jpg

Ha! There ya go... that's a "truth drug" that has gotten me in trouble before, with absolutely no water boarding needed! :o

AuH2O
05-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Ha, yes perhaps interrogators should practice vodka boarding.

MyLibertyStuff
05-24-2009, 11:22 PM
They dont want the truth, they want justification.

Uriel999
05-24-2009, 11:27 PM
"what is truth?"