PDA

View Full Version : Should the state take morbidly obese kids from their parents?

MsDoodahs
05-22-2009, 05:43 PM
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=344523

550lbs.

That is a large young man.

I'm sure his health IS at risk.

Where is the line?

Agent CSL
05-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Where are the relatives? Grandparents? They should fight for custody. The state has no right dealing in lives but the blood relatives of the child should have the right to challenge the parents based on neglect in court.

asimplegirl
05-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Where are the relatives? Grandparents? They should fight for custody. The state has no right dealing in lives but the blood relatives of the child should have the right to challenge the parents based on neglect in court.

I agree with this.

LibForestPaul
05-22-2009, 05:52 PM
many variables.

14 - debatable, seems to be somewhat older to blame parent
Medical dangerous weigh - check, not just obese or overweight.
Any other signs - debatable, is weight the only issue, if so, not certain if this is enough to break parent/child bond

DeadheadForPaul
05-22-2009, 05:59 PM
There are a few radical cases where the state needs to step in on behalf of a child who is being neglected. IMO, the government should find out if any relatives can take him off the mother's hands

AutoDas
05-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Hell no, let the gene die off that's causing these people to make such stupid decisions.

dannno
05-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Only if they can prove that the child is being force fed.

JohnnyRebel
05-22-2009, 06:05 PM
the state has no right... to do anything about anything, fat kids or anything else.

Terces
05-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Hell no, let the gene die off that's causing these people to make such stupid decisions.

Exactly, only government intervention causes the weak to succeed.

We've all seen where this has lead to... the parents are not the custodians, the state is.

Just terrible...

Working Poor
05-22-2009, 07:53 PM
The government makes many mistakes when it comes to child welfare. More important communities and families idly watch while parents harm their children.

I can't tell you the number of times I have been standing in line in a store and see some adult hitting a child in the face for simply reaching for something on the shelf. I have always spoken up and have almost had my ass kicked several times by irate women or men who thought I should be minding my own business. But I can't watch something like that and say nothing.

The worst offenders fall thru the cracks and more in important so does the child. The most chilling cases are the children who get beaten or starved to death. I have learned to be more discrete when I see someone beating a child. I watch the person get in the car and take down their tag# and call the abuse hot line with the info.

Yea too many times CPA gets embroiled in what are really child custody issues while the child who is being beaten and starved goes unnoticed and unprotected until it is almost or is too late.

asimplegirl
05-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Thank you, working! That is exactly what is going on with us right now...even workers we have met have gotten pissed for being called out to our house because it is so dumb, and obviously only a stupid move on the other party's part.

Thing is, I know many kids that have been beat, and have nothing done, I have called myself, and they fall by the wayside....

RCA
05-22-2009, 08:00 PM
I think these topics are best handled not by answering the in-the-box question of should the state do something, but does the state have the authority to STEAL from someone else to pay for it.

IPSecure
05-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Should the parents take the morbidly obese state from their kids?

Anti Federalist
05-22-2009, 08:56 PM

:D

Danke
05-22-2009, 09:01 PM

Post of the week award.

tpreitzel
05-22-2009, 09:23 PM

550lbs.

Where is the line?

Sure, why not? If the state can force the child of a parent to receive toxic chemicals as a medically sanctioned "treatment", then what's stopping them from going for the fat? I'll bet the state just drools at the prospect! ;)

/sarcasm

RSLudlum
05-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Didn't RP comment on this in 1988?

Oh yeah, here it is. :D
YouTube - Fat Guy Gets OWNED by Ron Paul! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi1nxu-Sy-w)

tpreitzel
05-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Didn't RP comment on this in 1988?

Oh yeah, here it is. :D
YouTube - Fat Guy Gets OWNED by Ron Paul! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi1nxu-Sy-w)

Oh, yeah... another Ron Paul Classic. Hmmmmmm, we really do need OUR very own, SPECIAL TV network on cable where the fat, couch potatoes lie mesmerized.... Maybe, a show like SNL with a libertarian twist? Let's dance! ;)

Pepsi
05-22-2009, 10:13 PM
No, the next thing they be taking them becuse you have "To many kids" than befor you know it the state as a One-Child Policy like in China.

SovereignMN
05-22-2009, 10:19 PM
No. End Thread.

Ninja Homer
05-22-2009, 11:42 PM

550lbs.

Where is the line?

The line is the law. The government can't take away parent's rights unless they prove neglect. The kid has some serious health problems, but I don't think it's neglect... probably the complete opposite, the parents give him too much.

At 555 pounds at the age of 14, there has to be something more going on then calorie intake and lack of exercise. When I was that age some 20-odd years ago, it would have been damn near impossible to get that big just by eating. These days, it seems more and more common with all the growth hormones, chemicals, processed reconstituted crap, radiated everything, ultra-pasteurized homogenized drinks, genetically modified franken-veggies (and their by-products like corn syrup), and that's just what's at the grocery store... don't get me started on fast food. All that non-food has a negative impact on the body, especially a developing child. It can screw with their metabolism, thyroid, various organs, chemical balances, etc.

Is this really the fault of the parents, or is this the fault of society as a whole? All of the processed food is FDA approved, so is it the FDA's fault? I certainly think the FDA is a failure as a whole, but they make their decisions based on doctor's opinions (that's the way it's supposed to work anyway), so is it the fault of allopathic medicine?

"The understanding was that the individual was of the weight where it was decided by medical authorities that he needed treatment that he wasn't being provided for by his mother," said Matthew Armstrong, of the Greenville County Sheriff's Office.

Hmmm... it's kind of circular, isn't it? Doctors advise the FDA on what policies to make, then people get sick, then doctors treat them for lots of money. Then when alternative medicine gets popular and cuts into their business model, they use the courts to start taking kids away from their parents so they can keep their patients, attempt to criminalize alternative medicine, scare people into following doctors orders, and keep making money.

I'm not saying this is a conspiracy, but... wait, umm, yeah, of COURSE this is a conspiracy! It's killing millions of people a year, and it's costing trillions of dollars a year. The FDA is failing and the health care system is failing, and people know it, or are at least starting to wake up to it. That's the reason they're pushing for socialized health care... it's the only way to keep their good times rolling.

*PS - I'm not saying that all doctors are evil or even that most doctors know anything about it. If anything, I'd say it's mainly the pharmaceuticals and some people at the top of the AMA, some corrupt politicians, and of course all of us regular ol' people who are letting it happen.

angelatc
05-23-2009, 12:25 AM

550lbs.

Where is the line?

There is no line. And I sure as heck don't want him eating on my dime.