PDA

View Full Version : Barry Goldwater on terrorism and other topics

johnrocks
05-22-2009, 09:08 AM
For the longest I used to get frustrated when debating others about our foreign policy and usually people would throw Goldwater in my face and his views, well, I finally found an interview he did many years ago in 1987 that support our way of thinking,imho.:cool:

Here are a few things he said.

"we must maintain armed forces of sufficient strength to protect our freedoms; not to go out to protect somebody else, but to protect our freedoms":cool:

"Then you get into the problem of the international terrorism; again, this is an expression. These are people who are living with the idea that theyíve never had a place on earth like the PLO, theyíve never had a place to call home and Ďby George, weíre going to get ití if it means killing you. Iíll be honest with you, I donít know what you do about that. People will say well, letís go over and hang them all. You canít hang them all; youíll never find them all".:cool:

I really like this, rather philosophical or poetic.

"The child born this second in Cuba has all the freedoms of the child born down at St. Josephís hospital, but in the next second that changes. Our child will be free; the Cuban child will not. I donít believe there has ever been a living creature - bird, animal, snake, bug or man - that didnít want to have freedom above everything else. You try to pick up a bird; he tries to get away. You try to hold a man down - even in a communist country, there is that inner desire to do better. In this country we have built our entire government, our entire concept of life, on freedom. If we donít remember that we wonít remain a free country. So freedom should be the driving interest of anyone concerned with creating peace or eliminating war or discord".

Anyway, here's the interview if your interested.:)
http://www.lib.uci.edu/quest/index.php?page=goldwater

Chieftain1776
05-22-2009, 10:36 AM
I meant to post this a while ago but forgot. Here are some awesome Goldwater quotes from Victor Gold's book "Invasion of the Party Snatchers". He was Barry Goldwater's '64 press secretary.

"I told [President] Johnson and old colleagues on Capitol Hill that we had two clear choices. Either win the [Vietnam] war in a relatively short time, say within a year, or pull out all our troops and come home" Autobiography, pg 205 citing GOLDWATER by Barry M. Goldwater with Jack Casserly

“Vietnam is about halfway around the world from Washington. It's as large as the major European nations, with nearly 130,000 square miles..Its ancient recorded history goes back to 111 B.C....We entered (that country) with considerable ignorance.” pg 211 Ibid

johnrocks
05-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks Chieftain, I seem to remember that being said by Goldwater but have not read that book, was it a good read?

Chieftain1776
05-22-2009, 10:47 AM
The Victor Gold book? Yeah it was pretty good he doesn't take a strict "Goldwater conservative" approach but does a great job chronicling the rise of the Neocons and Theocons and their effect on the GOP. Also rails against George W. Bush a good deal.

I still haven't read the autobiography...it's on the to-read list.

johnrocks
05-22-2009, 10:58 AM
The Victor Gold book? Yeah it was pretty good he doesn't take a strict "Goldwater conservative" approach but does a great job chronicling the rise of the Neocons and Theocons and their effect on the GOP. Also rails against George W. Bush a good deal.

I still haven't read the autobiography...it's on the to-read list.

Ok, thanks. I'm reading Michael Scheuer's book "Marching Toward Hell", perhaps when I fisish that one, I'll check Victor's book out, I'm a slow reader, well not slow,just sadly, don't commit myself to reading as much as I should or used to.